Awoo.

What if the Sonic the Hedgehog Franchise stopped being made?

Rabbitearsblog

48 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

So you missed out on like two main games and a few racing spinoffs?

Yeah. Just wasn't interested.

I watched them online to keep up with the story, but I just don't really like current 3D Sonic gameplay.

Shadow the Hedgehog in 2005 was when I stopped buying every game out of obligation. It disappointed me so thoroughly that I stepped back and reevaluated my investment in the franchise. Fortunately, that happened just in time for me to skip out on buying 06 the very next year.

I've briefly played most of the games I skipped out on at some point or another, but didn't really enjoy them, so I don't regret not buying them. Switching from "I have to play all the Sonics" to "I'll only get the ones that I think I'll actually like" was ultimately for the best.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/25/2021 at 3:30 PM, Shadow Chaos Control said:

It would have been a glorious end to stop the franchise at SA2. But I am glad it wasn’t, otherwise no Sonic Heroes, and Shadow The Hedgehog Game. 

The world would not be the same if the Sonic games stopped at SA2. I don’t know how I would be able to sleep at night. 

• Chuckle 1

Most Sonic games after SA2 aren't great, but SA2 doesn't really feel like a fitting send off to the series either. It was pretty far removed from the originals mechanically and focused on new characters more than established ones. It doesn't really put any kind of definitive stamp on Sonic and Eggman's conflict or Sonic's philosophy. It felt more like a new start than an ending.

• Thumbs Up 1

If the Sonic Franchise ended, SEGA should be bankrupt and Their Characters will be in the Public Domain so Everyone has to make Fangames of SEGA's Characters and Sonic Team will be defunct. 

"Took them long enough."

SEGA should be bankrupt and Their Characters will be in the Public Domain

I'm no legal expert, but I don't think that's how that works. Besides, if SEGA went bankrupt they'd more than likely sell their assets, and I can easily see other businesses wanting to snag the franchise, if nothing other than getting in the news for such a move.

• Thumbs Up 1

It would be kinda sad, Sonic is one of the most iconic video game characters. Everyone knows him, even if they never played one of the games or saw any of the TV shows.

17 hours ago, Wittymations said:

"Took them long enough."

I'm no legal expert, but I don't think that's how that works. Besides, if SEGA went bankrupt they'd more than likely sell their assets, and I can easily see other businesses wanting to snag the franchise, if nothing other than getting in the news for such a move.

I can definitely see Nintendo getting the rights to Sonic if SEGA went bankrupt and they were forced to sell their assets to stay afloat.  SEGA has done business before with Nintendo in regards with Sonic (the Sonic and Mario Olympic Games series), so Nintendo might want to try their hands on Sonic if it comes down to that.

On 7/10/2021 at 6:06 PM, Spin Slasher said:

If the Sonic Franchise ended, SEGA should be bankrupt and Their Characters will be in the Public Domain so Everyone has to make Fangames of SEGA's Characters and Sonic Team will be defunct. 

Ah, a universe with Twilight-tier Sonamy novels getting published.

1 hour ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I can definitely see Nintendo getting the rights to Sonic if SEGA went bankrupt and they were forced to sell their assets to stay afloat.  SEGA has done business before with Nintendo in regards with Sonic (the Sonic and Mario Olympic Games series), so Nintendo might want to try their hands on Sonic if it comes down to that.

I'd hope not. The last thing I need as someone who mainly uses PC/Xbox is Sonic being a Nintendo exclusive. Besides, i don't think that Nintendo has enough experience with characters like Sonic that have a lot of personality, and I have a feeling they'd screw him up, along with probably cancelling his comics.

5 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Ah, a universe with Twilight-tier Sonamy novels getting published.

I'd hope not. The last thing I need as someone who mainly uses PC/Xbox is Sonic being a Nintendo exclusive. Besides, i don't think that Nintendo has enough experience with characters like Sonic that have a lot of personality, and I have a feeling they'd screw him up, along with probably cancelling his comics.

Or the worst case scenario, we probably wouldn't get a Sonic movie for a long time if Nintendo owned the franchise.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/12/2021 at 4:24 PM, Rabbitearsblog said:

Or the worst case scenario, we probably wouldn't get a Sonic movie for a long time if Nintendo owned the franchise.

On the plus side, we might get actual rolling physics in a 3D game finally.

Imageproxy.gif 

• Thumbs Up 1

Depends on when it was canned. If it was after 06/Unleashed, I'd be content knowing that they went out fighting.

If it was after Forces, I'd point and laugh at the game that actually killed the series and be glad that nothing remotely as insulting would ever disgrace Sonic's name ever again.

While also being a bit sad that the great "Sonic Generations with all original levels" that everyone wanted was made with all of the beauty and grace of used toilet paper.

• 2 weeks later...

Would I could see happening is Sonic console games, and going fully a mobile franchise.

I know, this is horrifying but I can see it happening. 

On 7/15/2021 at 6:20 PM, BadBehavior said:

Depends on when it was canned. If it was after 06/Unleashed, I'd be content knowing that they went out fighting.

If it was after Forces, I'd point and laugh at the game that actually killed the series and be glad that nothing remotely as insulting would ever disgrace Sonic's name ever again.

While also being a bit sad that the great "Sonic Generations with all original levels" that everyone wanted was made with all of the beauty and grace of used toilet paper.

If this series ended after 06, I can see the legacy of this series going downhill real fast...