Awoo.

The Lasting Effects of the Movie on the Games

VO.SUPER

Spoiler

This was inspired by the recent collab announcement of Sonic and UlalaIdleAdventure. Normally I don't put too much stock into these sort of things, but when reading some of the twitter threads, people started to make comparisons to the electric powers Sonic displays in the preview trailer to the powers he has in the movie and I can definitely see that. There's clearly a movie influence going on in this depiction that wasn't there before, and I'm wondering if this is something that will carry over to Sonic's main games in the near future.

Is there more that could become influenced by the directions of the films in the future titles going on? Ring Portals used for gameplay extensions? The stronger emphasis on two worlds in the actual games, etc. I don't know how forward I would be with the whole thing in its entirety, but it does leave some room for speculation.

Edit: Just got reminded that the IDW thing was him getting zapped.)

12 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

We've even seen some of Sonic's electricity showing up in the latest issue of the IDW comics

I don't think that's true. He gets shocked by one of the Egg Vipers and has some residual sparks a panel or two later, but unless they're doing some weird subtle foreshadowing I don't think that's meant to be his electricity.

Think this is a little premature; you're probably not wrong, but I think y'all should wait until something more definitive before you make assumptions like this. 

5 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I don't think that's true. He gets shocked by one of the Egg Vipers and has some residual sparks a panel or two later, but unless they're doing some weird subtle foreshadowing I don't think that's meant to be his electricity.

Oh yeah, it is just after effects of him getting zapped. If it is foreshadowing though, it would be Archie level of foreshadowing. (green eyes, and shoe buckles for those who remember.)

I think the electric effect looks a lot better on Movie Sonic's textured fur and spines than Modern's smooth, plastic-like body.

33 minutes ago, Razule said:

I think the electric effect looks a lot better on Movie Sonic's textured fur and spines than Modern's smooth, plastic-like body.

Gotta give them credit for stylizing it differently from the bit more generic looking lightning from the movie though. A bit more of a dbz pulse going on here.

I really hope this is nothing. I like the movie don't get me wrong but I think the electricity should be a thing for only that version.

I do think one of those recent leaks said the movie would have some effects on Sonic in the future but I'm really hoping it doesn't. 

As much as I enjoyed the movie, I wouldn't want it to affect the games.  I like it when we have Sonic in a different medium and tell different stories with the character.  Trying to tie everything from the movies to the TV shows into the games would just overcomplicate things and might run the risk of erasing everything we loved about the games just to have some new continuity.  I'm really hoping that these leaks aren't true (although I don't believe in the leaks anyway unless SEGA themselves confirmed these leaks to be true).

• Thumbs Up 2

Call me a cautious optimist when it comes to these ideas. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't. I think picking and choosing certain elements could be interesting at points while not taking on the canon as a whole.

6 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

As much as I enjoyed the movie, I wouldn't want it to affect the games.  I like it when we have Sonic in a different medium and tell different stories with the character.  Trying to tie everything from the movies to the TV shows into the games would just overcomplicate things and might run the risk of erasing everything we loved about the games just to have some new continuity.  I'm really hoping that these leaks aren't true (although I don't believe in the leaks anyway unless SEGA themselves confirmed these leaks to be true).

I don't mean to offend, but how much can this franchise change than it already has?

11 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Same here. Although in my case part of it has to do with the fact that I personally DONT like the movie.

I'm not surprised, and I don't think that it will have a lasting strong effect. Even if they add some lighting stylistic effect on him, his main "power" will stay "speed". The way his speed give him power already have changed a lot between game, we add some "wind stuff", the shockwave of the boost, electricity now in the movie... In a way, I think that even if it appear, it'll be more of a cosmetic things (like here), and not be anything that'll change that much the IP.

But it's not surprised that the new really-popular Sonic media have some effect on the brand representation. And I feel that most other things that could appear from the movies already kinda exists in the IP, two-world and "ring portals" (that are kinda like wrap ring).

Personally I'm not a fan of lightning thing. Mostly because Flash did it first.

Sonic ripped of many things, but for years managed to not copy Flash... until now.

10 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Personally I'm not a fan of lightning thing. Mostly because Flash did it first.

Sonic ripped of many things, but for years managed to not copy Flash... until now.

I guess as far as copying things it's not even like Sonic hasn't been blatant about it. But yeah, I feel like at this point of time the Flash comparison is just a little too corny for the fanbase at large. I admit it feels kind of parodical in a way, like how Super Sonic is just an anthro Super Saiyan. The Death Egg is a dumb looking Death Star. And now this looks like furry The Flash. So it kind of cheapens Sonic a bit.

While I don't dislike it, I prefer the wind focus that the dark age games pushed if only because they were something that felt just a bit more Sonic.

Sonic with electricity powers... Why does that sound somewhat familiar yet cringe inducing?

Spoiler

ChrisChan: Yes, it's becoming official... My time has cu-...er come!

th?id=OIP.wU7ZeDv8CYuer9_4wN8oRwHaJo%26p

• Promotion 1
  • My Emmerdoods 2
  • Absolutely 1

I think Lightning Sonic would be cool. It could even bring back glide-running like Shadow’s shoes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, the foreboding thing was the leak that originally revealed Sonic Colors Ultimate stated that the movie was going to have a significant impact of the franchise going forward.

I hope the movie gives the games minimal inspiration. They have such fundamentally different ideas of how Sonic even works. In the movie, he does everything fast, like a normal person doing things in fast motion. In the games, it’s more like he just runs fast, and even then he’s more bound to the laws of physics, like yeah he can go 800mph, but he ain’t zipping around a bar room while doing it. I can see why the movie went with the concept it did. However, I prefer the approach of the games. If they go the movie route, then the player isn’t really going fast, the world around them is just slowing down. And also, why would Sonic ever slow down at that point? Like, the games convey a logical reason for him to slow down. All of that is removed if he can just make precise movements at top speed. 

• Thumbs Up 1