Awoo.

Do we really need a Sonic Adventure remake?

TurkishDelight91

I don't know about you guys, but I don't really want a Sonic adventure remake, I want brand new stuff. Because Sonic Adventure & Adventure 2 are kinda different from each other, it's not like Crash or Spyro, where the sequels felt like more of the same, so I think there should be a bit more experimentation for SA3, to not make it feel stale. I think they should do an Adventure styled game, perfect the formula, experiment a bit, and BAM! Sa3. What do you guys think?

h5xqjggllgs61.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Definitely not! I think that they chose wisely with Colors Ultimate in terms of which game to enhance.  Both Adventure games are too uneven, which was at the time, and still is, one of their strengths, to remake; even something of a FFVII style entirely new version would, as you are saying, be happening in place of truly new steps for the series! 

If they can pull it off (those being the key words), why the hell not?

If Sega hadn't squandered so much of the past decade on dead on arrival titles like the Sonic 4 and Sonic Boom games (not to mention Forces) and had instead made games that contributed something new to the series I'd probably be more enthusiastic about a remake of Adventure 1 right now. It is the game in the series that would most benefit from being remade. But in the reality we live in, Sonic needs something brand new. Maybe Sega can do an Adventure remake for the game's 30th anniversary in a few years.

• Thumbs Up 3

I mean technically no remake really needs to happen but it could be fun to have Adventure with updated graphics and a retooled more accurate script and the modern voice cast. It wouldn't be drastically different gameplay wise I don't think but still it'd be fun.

I would like one, but as long as it's like the remakes of Crash Bandicoot which were close to the originals. Judging by SEGA's track record, I'm not too confident they could pull it off.

Would have been nice to get a break from the dumbass Colors esque non-3d games to get an actual Sonic game with some meat on the bones again.

I know Zippo's leaks are questionable, but I like how the whole progress was put down.
Sega wants to make a Sonic Adventure remake.
Development team screws it up because it's too hard for them.
Sega shrugs and orders Sonic Colors remake instead.

Yeah, sums it right about up. Just give up and keep making blocky 2d games, anything more ambitious is too hard for them.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Would have been nice to get a break from the dumbass Colors esque non-3d games to get an actual Sonic game with some meat on the bones again.

I know Zippo's leaks are questionable, but I like how the whole progress was put down.
Sega wants to make a Sonic Adventure remake.
Development team screws it up because it's too hard for them.
Sega shrugs and orders Sonic Colors remake instead.

Yeah, sums it right about up. Just give up and keep making blocky 2d games, anything more ambitious is too hard for them.

Look, I know some fans are still bitter about the last ten years. But Sonic Colors was still a well received title, while the Adventure rereleases have been getting progressively more divisive. 

Colors is the safest approach of rereleasing; I know that's not what many people WANT, but I wish people would understand it's not as simple as "They're lazy and uncreative and I don't like it". There's nuance here.  You don't gotta like it, but at least try to understand it a bit more.

• Thumbs Up 2

42 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Look, I know some fans are still bitter about the last ten years. But Sonic Colors was still a well received title, while the Adventure rereleases have been getting progressively more divisive. 

Colors is the safest approach of rereleasing; I know that's not what many people WANT, but I wish people would understand it's not as simple as "They're lazy and uncreative and I don't like it". There's nuance here.  You don't gotta like it, but at least try to understand it a bit more.

It still doesn’t stop me from wanting remakes or ports of games I actualy like and knows the meaning of “3D gameplay”.

10 minutes ago, knuckles20 said:

It still doesn’t stop me from wanting remakes or ports of games I actually like and knows the meaning of “3D gameplay”.

Hence why I said, you don't have to like it. 

Just wish people were a bit more constructive when it comes to things like this. 

Sonic Colors was critically received well; its both a safe option and one that's not too costly. It's the logical decision to make from a business sense at the very least.  There's no reason NOT to do it essentially besides the complaints from some fans on the Internet. 

As much as I don't like the meta era, Colors was actually a fun title, so I'm excited for the rerelease. It would've been preferable if Colors' whole comedic story and blocky platforming stuck with the one game, though. Most of the 2010s had those kinds of safe, blocky platforming games, so that's where my problem more or less came in. The 2010s were way too safe, and even Forces had suffered with that despite seeming somewhat ambitious at first.

I don't care if they rerelease Colors or any other meta era game, but they need to get it together with their new games if they want to keep their longtime fans interested in their new games.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Hence why I said, you don't have to like it. 

Just wish people were a bit more constructive when it comes to things like this. 

Sonic Colors was critically received well; its both a safe option and one that's not too costly. It's the logical decision to make from a business sense at the very least.  There's no reason NOT to do it essentially besides the complaints from some fans on the Internet. 

I’m not arguing against Colors Ultimate. I have no interest of buying it but it doesn’t mean I going to be a douche to people who do want it. All I’m doing is stating why I would want to see either a remake, port or entire new game that’s actually understands why people love the Adventure titles.

And I know remaking Colors is a safe option, but Sega has been playing it safe so long and it hasn’t done me any favors at all. So I see no reason why I shouldn’t ask for games that actually contains aspects I like about the Sonic series

• Thumbs Up 2

I was only calling out the notion that it's "Lazy and uncreative", as opposed to a logical business decision. 

The only thing I have to say that’s “lazy and uncreative” in regards of Colors(if not every “3D” Sonic game 2010 onwards) is padding the game with 2D sections and then marketing it as a 3D game as opposed to making an actual 3D game.

4 hours ago, Kuzu said:

I know there's been a lot of, from my understanding deserved, vitriol thrown at the port of a port of a port release of SA1 for 360/PS3, but I don't remember hearing about issues with the HD release of SA2 back in 2012. Do you mean just general retroactive dislike of the Adventure games among certain circles?

I don't really want to delve too deeply into the pros and cons of a remake of Sonic Adventure in this post, but to include something somewhat on topic, I'd be content with a competent re-release of the Adventure games for Switch over a full remake if the latter was untenable at this time. I think it could be good for the franchise for a number of reasons and could certainly lean more into appealing to me specifically, but I really just want to be able to play SA1/SA2 on a physical cart without having to navigate my Gamecube with my 4K TV.

On 5/22/2021 at 11:19 PM, expansivelovestories said:

Definitely not! I think that they chose wisely with Colors Ultimate in terms of which game to enhance.  Both Adventure games are too uneven, which was at the time, and still is, one of their strengths, to remake; even something of a FFVII style entirely new version would, as you are saying, be happening in place of truly new steps for the series! 

I think Colors ultimate wouldn't be much, maybe just a remaster with HD...

4 hours ago, GentlemanX said:

I know there's been a lot of, from my understanding deserved, vitriol thrown at the port of a port of a port release of SA1 for 360/PS3, but I don't remember hearing about issues with the HD release of SA2 back in 2012. Do you mean just general retroactive dislike of the Adventure games among certain circles?

I don't really want to delve too deeply into the pros and cons of a remake of Sonic Adventure in this post, but to include something somewhat on topic, I'd be content with a competent re-release of the Adventure games for Switch over a full remake if the latter was untenable at this time. I think it could be good for the franchise for a number of reasons and could certainly lean more into appealing to me specifically, but I really just want to be able to play SA1/SA2 on a physical cart without having to navigate my Gamecube with my 4K TV.

Yeah, it's scary to think how they can RUIN the stories/gameplay in the adventure games just by remaking them

7 hours ago, knuckles20 said:

The only thing I have to say that’s “lazy and uncreative” in regards of Colors(if not every “3D” Sonic game 2010 onwards) is padding the game with 2D sections and then marketing it as a 3D game as opposed to making an actual 3D game.

Yeah, the boost is a bit too much for any developer, it takes a lot of resources, a Sa styled game would help, as the Adventure gameplay is developer friendly (compared to Boost) and I think it can become great!

• Thumbs Up 3

A remake of Sonic Adventure? We probably don't need that now or anytime soon. Still, in my point of view, it would be interesting to see how they remake it. Still, if they do, while I would be fine either way, can't say for sure that the boost would be a good idea to include in such a remake. However, even if they do remake it without the boost, it would be interesting to see how they remake some things; what they may get right, what they may get wrong, and overall how good it might be or not so good in comparison to the original. If they do make such a remake, even if they do make some screw ups in some areas, I hope they wouldn't screw it up altogether.

I'm kind of in two minds about the possibility.

On the one hand, SA1 holds a special place in my heart because it was a big part of my childhood and it's still one of my favourite games now, despite the jankiness, awkward voice acting and other technical issues. While a remake would (hopefully) iron out those issues a part of me can't help but feel like some of the charm of the game would be lost in giving it a modern update.

On the other hand, part of me wonders what they'd be able to do with the game with the current tech level. There's times in the original when I can see what they wanted to do with something, but the tech at the time couldn't quite pull it off for one reason or another.

So, there's pluses and minuses to both sides of this. That said, the existence of a remake/reboot/whatever wouldn't invalidate the presence or my memories of the original, so I think there's room for both.

Personally don't really see the need for one. I love the original game a lot as is and I don't care for the idea of handing it off to some new developers who will inevitably misunderstand some fundamental things about how it works. This isn't a dig at modern Sonic Team either. This will happen on some level no matter how good the developers are so I'll always feel a little put off by the idea. 

Even in the best case scenario where everything turns out exactly how I would want it...I'd still kind of rather see a new Sonic game come out instead. I feel that way about all remakes, even ones I really enjoy like Resident Evil 2 and 7 Remake. I would rather see some of the great things this game did reintroduced in future titles. Any changes they feel they need to make can be made freely without alienating anybody.

13 hours ago, CrystalMaelStorm said:

A remake of Sonic Adventure? We probably don't need that now or anytime soon. Still, in my point of view, it would be interesting to see how they remake it. Still, if they do, while I would be fine either way, can't say for sure that the boost would be a good idea to include in such a remake. However, even if they do remake it without the boost, it would be interesting to see how they remake some things; what they may get right, what they may get wrong, and overall how good it might be or not so good in comparison to the original. If they do make such a remake, even if they do make some screw ups in some areas, I hope they wouldn't screw it up altogether.

I think we won't have much of boost, because it's not very developer friendly, it's hard to work with, and confusing to get.

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

Personally don't really see the need for one. I love the original game a lot as is and I don't care for the idea of handing it off to some new developers who will inevitably misunderstand some fundamental things about how it works. This isn't a dig at modern Sonic Team either. This will happen on some level no matter how good the developers are so I'll always feel a little put off by the idea. 

Even in the best case scenario where everything turns out exactly how I would want it...I'd still kind of rather see a new Sonic game come out instead. I feel that way about all remakes, even ones I really enjoy like Resident Evil 2 and 7 Remake. I would rather see some of the great things this game did reintroduced in future titles. Any changes they feel they need to make can be made freely without alienating anybody.

agreed

• Thumbs Up 1