Awoo.

Skateboarding

Mick

I remember begging my parents for a skateboard since I was around 5-7 years old. I've been a skater since the young age of 9 and it was an on and off thing for me. I was so extremely happy when I had this shitty plastic board made by Powell. It was yellow and it had a really lame design of a dinosaur skateboarding. That was my first skateboard and I remember skating with it on my driveway. I have excellent balance, so that is plus if you want to skateboard. I remember not having skate shoes at the time, I had crappy white sneakers while skateboarding. I didn't get skateboard shoes until I was about 10 or 11. By the time I turned 12, I bought a real deck. It was a rip-off of Birdhouse with Mack trucks. I don't remember the bearings I had. It was pretty cool and I used this skateboard since I bought it 'til I was about 19. It was mostly an on and off thing for me by the time I got into my teens. I was really more into playing the guitar than skateboarding around that time. When I started to drive as well, I totally stopped skateboarding altogether when I was more interested in driving (I love driving more).

It's too bad that I never really got to do some tricks. I was only able to pull off an ollie once in my lifetime. Oh and I did a kick-flip once as well. Ya know, I'm really really considering getting back into skateboarding. Should I? I still have my deck, but I really really don't like it. It was purchased sometime in 1996, so it's pretty outdated. I have high pain tolerance and I wouldn't mind falling. You have to bail when you're skateboarding. No pain, no gain. Just like when it comes to working out. Skateboarding is a pretty good exercise. I never got into really serious injuries. I remember skateboarding unprotected. I only wore a helmet, pads and all of that shit once. Then I wore a helmet only like 4 times. Now that I'm older and I know better, I would use protective gear. It was fun while not having any thing on me to protect me. I loved the thrill of it. I didn't care if I fractured an ankle or arm. So what! Just as long as I lived. Well ya know I would wear only just a helmet while skateboarding nowadays. I don't want to lose my head, now yeah I'd be dead.

So uh yeah, this thread is all about skateboarding. I just went over my lengthy history of skateboarding for you all.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kevin

• MizukiMoon

• Paul Str337

• SSL

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a lovely little history thank you for sharing Mick.

I was never much into the whole skateboarding thing. I owned roller blades but I preferred my scooter. That was so much fun, I never tired of playing on it. I tried skateboarding but I failed miserably at it =( sad because I would have loved to get into it more so I could customise my skateboard and make it awesome.

I can't deal with wheels on my feet lol I wasn't allowed to rollerskate as a kid cos I mum feared I'd knock my teeth out, but I tried that and skateboarding when I was older and I just didn't get into it cos I fail lol.

I own a kick-ass nineties skateboard in neon colours - green, pink, yellow. I don't use it for anything except scooting across my room, though XD

What I do own and use is a pair of retro roller skates (skates, not blades). I love 'em. I've adored roller skates forever (Starlight Express, Starlight Express...) <3

I never got into skateboarding, but loved to roller skate and roller blade, even though I haven't done so in a few years now.

I was never into skateboarding, I always preferred my scooter to get around. I did try skateboarding once when I was a kid, a friend of mine tied a bit of string to it and pulled me along, I fell off the pavement and onto the road and I ripped all the skin on my kness off, and the trousers I had on, I never got on another skateboard again. I do however own a Sonic skateboard =]

I love to watch it and I was a big Tony Hawks game fan up until they started getting silly but my overall lack of agility and athleticism means I’d suck skateboarding for real. I tried inline skating and that was an epic fail. I tried learning by skating round my estate and I attracted a large conglomerate of children who ran to put their skates on and literally run rungs round me. I gave that up fairly quickly. The falling over a lot probably had something to do with it as well.

Wow what a coincidence? Today I visited an university and it was essentially a skateboarding utopia. It was crazy. Almost everyone had a skateboard and were using it to get to class.