Awoo.

Sonic Central Presentation coming May 27th | New Projects to be Announced

Wraith

The most I expect wrt the next game is Iizuka officially saying that it's delayed until next year so that there's no misconception. Admittedly I'm lowballing it with that one though. Maybe they'll give people a taste but I...don't really see a reason for them to do so. Everyone's lining up after 4 years of silence. What's another 10 months or whatever, realistically?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

What's another 10 months or whatever, realistically?

Well, for me, who's only getting the first dose of the vaccine in over a year, and with a third more deadly wave at sight... 😅

4 minutes ago, Wraith said:

The most I expect wrt the next game is Iizuka officially saying that it's delayed until next year so that there's no misconception. Admittedly I'm lowballing it with that one though. Maybe they'll give people a taste but I...don't really see a reason for them to do so. Everyone's lining up after 4 years of silence. What's another 10 months or whatever, realistically?

I think now that they've got the ball rolling, they're going to drip feed info on the new game. Assuming that the new CGI clip that was teased is from a new game, they could do something that dissimilar to the Project Sonic 2017 reveal; the game exists, here's the most basic version of the premise, stay tuned for next year. And if that doesn't happen today, I think itll still happen later this year. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I think now that they've got the ball rolling, they're going to drip feed info on the new game. Assuming that the new CGI clip that was teased is from a new game, they could do something that dissimilar to the Project Sonic 2017 reveal; the game exists, here's the most basic version of the premise, stay tuned for next year. And if that doesn't happen today, I think itll still happen later this year. 

Yeah I think the name Sonic Central implies there's going to be more of these going forward. I'm not convinced the dripfeed will start today though. May as well at least wait until Colors is out the door.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't forget we have E3 next month, which can keep this said ball rolling even more. Sonic is all about momentum after all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Do people tend to call a thing "delayed" when the delay happened before they gave anyone a date? They'd be better off just pretending whatever they say was always the intended time.

Yeah that's true, maybe they won't frame it as a delay but just say "The next game is coming out in 2022" so it's clear.

33 minutes ago, Marcello said:

I kinda have more faith in Nintendo with these things lol

Hopefully I'm wrong.

You absolutely shouldn't have any faith in Sega. Was just pointing out that length isn't indicative of quality.

• Chuckle 1

39 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Yeah I think the name Sonic Central implies there's going to be more of these going forward. I'm not convinced the dripfeed will start today though. May as well at least wait until Colors is out the door.

Guess we don't have long to wait. It's only a little over five hours away at this point. Perhaps today is somewhat too soon considering that the presentation is only 12 minutes long, we've got 6 more months of the year left and this is only the very start of the 30th anniversary celebrations. 

Either way, I'm not expecting the world from this presentation. SEGA simply don't have my faith, and even if they did have it... this is only a small presentation. All I really want is to walk away from this presentation saying "yeah, that was alright". A small thing that makes me smile and doesn't leave me disappointed. Colours Ultimate or the rumoured collection could elicit that response from me, depending on what they are and as long as there's some recognition of moving forwards.

My expectation metter is basically:

Merch: I sleep (they never release in Brazil anyways).

Comics: I sleep.

New animation by Tyson: Hmmmm.

Sonic Prime teaser: I sleep.

Sonic Colors Ultimate: One eye open.

Sonic Collection (if it really has Taxman's S1, S2 and CD, along with S3&K and the main 3D titles): Real shit?!!

Mania 2 or a new game by Evening Star: AW SHIT. ULTRA HYPE.

Adventure remake: OH BOY, HOW ARE THEY GONNA HANDLE BIG? ANYWAYS, HYPE.

New 3D game that actually looks great, no 2D in sight, Tails and Knuckles playable: YES, YES, YES.

I think 12 minutes is enough for at least three game reveals provided they don't spend all that time talking about one game in particular for to long but we'll see 

Late-game posting to throw my hype hat in the ring! :)

I wrote a bunch of thoughts on the site here (https://www.sonicstadium.org/2021/05/what-could-sega-announce-at-sonics-30th-anniversary-livestream-event/) but basically I reckon we'll get:

• Colours Ultimate Announcement
  • Sonic Collection Announcement - full info/trailer
  • Tease on the next Sonic game only (like an initial trailer ala first Forces/Generations trailer), right at the end), with more to be revealed on Sonic's birthday next month
  • Sonic Dash/Forces Mobile special characters
  • Maybe Sonic Prime stuff
  • A bunch of SEGA game cross-promotions (Sonic pachinko in Yakuza Like a Dragon, maybe PSO2 Sonic celebration stuff)
  • Merchandise up the wazoo

That should fill 12 minutes just fine. Anything else is gravy, and I'm looking forward to getting super excited about whatever it is that will be announced (I already bought the 30th Anniversary kicks from Zavvi yesterday haha)

• Thumbs Up 2

I think it might be too early for a Sonic Prime trailer, but some promo art like we got for Boom would be nice. It'd give us an idea of the look and potentially tone.

As we said it's early for Prime, anything else would be just minor annoucements that I believe are separate, only mobile news and collab events might be in, no animation short, no IDW, no merch, no remixes.

14 hours ago, Scar said:

I'm sure Smith can do a better job if given proper material to work with.

His iteration of Sonic sounds like a dork, because he's ostensibly been written to be a dork.

Can I be honest? Outside of Colors whole talking to destroyed robots thing I can't think of too many moments of Sonic being a dork in the games Roger voiced him in.

I honestly think a lot of his quips are genuinely pretty good and will argue to they day I die most likely that Sonic is not just a joking jokester who doesn't take things seriously in all the post-Colors games.

• Thumbs Up 3

24 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Can I be honest? Outside of Colors whole talking to destroyed robots thing I can't think of too many moments of Sonic being a dork in the games Roger voiced him in.

I honestly think a lot of his quips are genuinely pretty good and will argue to they day I die most likely that Sonic is not just a joking jokester who doesn't take things seriously in all the post-Colors games.

Yeah, I liked his jokes in Colors. Maybe not all of them, but a lot of them.

Did someone order a clobbering?

I liked that one the most.

The humor in Sonic Colors is fairly harmless, I think. I mean, juvenile underwear joke aside. A couple are funny, but like.... dad joke funny. I feel like it sits comfortably in Saturday morning territory, which was Sonic's wheelhouse back in the day, but Saturday morning cartoons have changed a bit since the 90s, haven't they? 

Hopefully moving forward we can get deeper narratives (but not grim-dark) rather than mostly comedy. But for now, I'll be okay for another Colors-like romp to wash the taste of Forces out my mouth.

• Thumbs Up 3

It isn't so much the jokes themselves, as the complete lack of energy in them and the way it skreeches the momentum of the story to a halt.
The scene before the final fight is such a perfect example, themepark about to fall from orbit, climax is building, Sonic has to speed to escape impending doom...
Never mind, Sonic and Tails stand around for 5 minutes doing a stand up comedian routine.
If it's a quick oneliner that's one thing, but they keep gooooooing and gooooing.

It isn't so much whether the jokes are funny but more how it's a black hole sucking in any kind of excitement or energy the story could have had.
Sonic's a fast cartoon character, it should have much more Looney tunes asque physical humor, not standing around for an hour deconstructing the plot.
Especially in a scene that's supposed to exciting and build toward the grand finale.

It creates such a smug atmosphere too, like the writers (And characters) feel they're above the material all the time.

But that's the writers fault, not Roger's fault.
Altough I associate his voice so much with this smug atmosphere of modern Sonic that it just creates immediate cringe when I hear his voice.

So yeah, I wouldn't call Roger's Sonic a dork, so much as just smug and above it all.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

I'll definitely give you that one, @Roger_van_der_weide. The endgame really dropped the ball with it's emphasis on levity. I didn't once believe Sonic or Tails were in any danger, even if their dialogue implied otherwise. The boss fight wasn't even difficult, though that's a separate issue technically.

Sorry, that was a little grumpy of me.
It's clear I really need some good news to cheer up.
Well Sega, don't let me down tonight. Heh...

• Thumbs Up 1

it always feels weird to me when people get super uppity about colours's issues and act like it's "The Game That Ruined Everything" or whatever cuz like. it's not even the game itself that's the problem (to me at least), just what it inspired.

like yeah, the writing's dumb and full of itself, but as a break from what sonic was at the time it's perfectly harmless.
yeah, the level design's awkward and blocky, but at the time just having a 3D sonic game where you could play every level back to back was a novelty.
yeah, the wisps are intrusive, but it seemed at the time to be an adequate answer for 3D sonic's identity issues, spicing up the gameplay without devolving into another style entirely.

it's a perfectly fine game for what it is - a break. a product of the extremely specific timeframe it was made in. it's not colours's fault that SEGA saw all those Glowing Reviews and clung onto them for dear life.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

2 hours ago, Dreadknux said:

I already bought the 30th Anniversary kicks from Zavvi yesterday haha)

Right there with you. Still waiting for them to mass produce a pair of the movie sneakers, but these blacktops were nice so I brought a pair too. 

Alright, I'm ready for this to go down. I think we might see one or two projects that Arn't sonic team related, if only because we are overdue for a spinoff or two. 

TSR Transformed would get my feathers up.  Even if TSR wasn't everything I wanted it to be, Transformed was so we'll done and refreshing that I'd instantly buy into a spiritual successor 

Other games being bad isn't Colors' fault, or otherwise I should be allowed to say that the Sonic sections in Adventure, specifically, are garbage because '06 is garbage. 

If Sonic Team was unable to capture what they got right the first time, it's not the fault of the first time. It's not even a fluke because the people who worked on Colors and the people who worked on Lost World and Forces are not the same.

And I'd argue that none of those flaws listed were even present in Colors. The Wisps weren't intrusive (levels were actually designed around the Wisps, yet can also be beaten without them), the writing was fun because it was never meant to be more than a comedy (unlike Lost World and Forces, which tried to add darkness and couldn't pull it off), and the level design is still more open and creative than future titles. 

If Colors released today, it would get incredibly similar reception as it did before because it's a good game.

Certainly puzzles me that people think the Adventure games or Unleashed's tone-breaking, mediocre God of War clone gameplay in the Werehog would be well-received if it was rereleased. There is a clear reason why SEGA would rerelease Colors and it's because it's the only game that can definitely stand the test of time. Generations is better, but it's also dated.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Too Many Rings 1

4 hours ago, Kuzu said:

Keep in mind, the Mario Direct was only 16 minutes and revealed a lot too.

Not that you shouldn't keep your expectations in check, but length shouldn't be indicative of what we get.

At best, we get a Teaser for a new game.

Yes :) :)   In this type of significant presentation moment, they have teased or revealed the new games far more often than not.  i am trying to remember if they ever haven't!  25th anniversary party, yes;  The SxSW where Mania Plus was revealed and TSR was teased, yes!!

If there was one after this (i can't remember) that might have been when they didn't reveal anything, because there wasn't anything to reveal!  Then, the cancelled 2020 presentation seemed from context as though they were going to reveal something even back then.