Awoo.

Sonic Central Presentation coming May 27th | New Projects to be Announced

Wraith

31 minutes ago, Vertical Snoop [D.K.] said:

it always feels weird to me when people get super uppity about colours's issues and act like it's "The Game That Ruined Everything" or whatever cuz like. it's not even the game itself that's the problem (to me at least), just what it inspired.

like yeah, the writing's dumb and full of itself, but as a break from what sonic was at the time it's perfectly harmless.
yeah, the level design's awkward and blocky, but at the time just having a 3D sonic game where you could play every level back to back was a novelty.
yeah, the wisps are intrusive, but it seemed at the time to be an adequate answer for 3D sonic's identity issues, spicing up the gameplay without devolving into another style entirely.

it's a perfectly fine game for what it is - a break. a product of the extremely specific timeframe it was made in. it's not colours's fault that SEGA saw all those Glowing Reviews and clung onto them for dear life.

I don't care whether or not it's the fault of Colours that the newer games have been disappointing. The fact is that I don't think that the newer games have been particularly good and Colours ranks amongst them. I'm open to a Colours remaster or whatever, but I'm not particularly interested in seeing games of its ilk come back into the spotlight. 

Colours was well received mostly for what it wasn't and because of the fact that it was a breath of fresh air, rather than because it was especially good. Now that Colours has kind of set the status quo for the series in the past decade, a Colours remaster is hardly what we need at this time. Again, I'm fine with it existing as something on the side. But its not going to represent the change in direction and improvement in quality that people are hungry for. It's literally just more of the same. If anyone is salty about Colours Ultimate because they aren't a big fan of the game or because they're just tired of the series as it currently is, can't say that I blame them.

• Thumbs Up 9

I'm expecting no new news on the new game. That is new.

Seriously though, I expect it to be pushed back to 2022.

As for the stream being 16 minutes, that's not bad if they just keep it focused on the content. The Dragon Quest stream yesterday was about 45 minutes, but most of it was used on a lot of long winded talking segments and such while the trailers themselves may have come to about 15 minutes worth of material.

20 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

...yet can also be beaten without them)

That is not true...any level in Colors that can be beaten without a wisp most likely doesn't have any.

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

That is not true...any level in Colors that can be beaten without a wisp most likely doesn't have any.

The very first and second levels of the game can be beaten without Wisps, despite having Wisps, because you are not even allowed to use Wisps until Act 3.

There are several more levels with Wisps that don't need Wisps, but yes, there are levels where Wisps are required. 

Well I’m keeping my expectations fairly low if the running time is just 16 mins lol. 

Hoping for an awesome Sonic Anniversary Collection and of course Sonic Mania 2. If the only “new” game announcement we get is a Sonic Colours remaster I’m gonna be miffed. 

I played Colors recently and I'm pretty sure that most levels don't require wisps to be beaten. There are only a couple of instances where you are required to use the Cube wisp (and maybe one Hover section), but in the majority of the game wisps are optional. When you play with Super Sonic enabled, you can't use wisps and still you can complete all the levels of the game.

Just now, Iko said:

I played Colors recently and I'm pretty sure that most levels don't require wisps to be beaten. There are only a couple of instances where you are required to use the Cube wisp, but in the majority of the game wisps are optional. When you play with Super Sonic enabled, you can't use wisps and still you can complete all the levels of the game.

The edit the levels that would be impossible to complete while you're Super Sonic and can't use Wisps so I don't think that counts 

3 minutes ago, Iko said:

When you play with Super Sonic enabled, you can't use wisps and still you can complete all the levels of the game.

The game adds a bunch of springs to skip past mandatory wisp sections, since you can't use them.

The changes to Super Sonic amount to a few placed springs so they're not significant. 

Though it is a good question to ask why they would design those particular levels in that way.

Actually, a better question is why can't Super Sonic use Wisps. Well, I guess it would break up the pace too much.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Soniman said:

The edit the levels that would be impossible to complete while you're Super Sonic and can't use Wisps so I don't think that counts 

Just now, StaticMania said:

The game adds a bunch of springs to skip past mandatory wisp sections, since you can't use them.

Ok I didn't remember that, but still, there are only a few sections where they are mandatory...

I feel like you can probably beat most levels in Colors without wisps, but I don't feel like "technically you don't have to use the game's main gimmick much" is much of an argument anyway; you can beat most levels in the boost games without boosting, but I certainly wouldn't recommend doing so even if you don't like the boost. In both cases the mechanics shape the gameplay enough that you'd have a severely stripped down experience if you went without them.

• Thumbs Up 2

That is true, though the argument is against the case that Wisps were intrusive, which imply that they get in the way of the gameplay. In Colors' case, the levels are generally designed in consideration with and without Wisps, which I believe wouldn't be intrusive.

Contrast this with, say, Silent Forest Act 2, which randomly gives you the Magenta Rhythm and forces you to play an incredibly boring "minigame" that adds nothing to the gameplay. 

Though as I was writing this, I saw a playthrough of the level again, the Wisp isn't actually necessary, but there's nothing added to not using it. In one section, it's the choice between using the Wisp or running through a complete straight line. Actually, you'll probably get on the straight line path instinctively.  In Colors, a well-timed Wisp can make you skip sections of the level or access a new path. 

Another point to Colors is that the Wisps were better designed for the gameplay in general. Laser, Spikes, Rocket are all about getting to places more quickly, and Drill was about accessing new areas. Cube is a pace-breaker--it's actually the worst Wisp in the game--but it at least adds new routes sometimes. Hover is slow, but honestly it is fun to hover in the air or lightspeed dash. It's more spectacle, but spectacle is fine in doses.

What the fuck is the point of the Black Bomb, or the Red Eagle?

...Are you all done talking about whether Colors as whole is a good game or not? Kind of feels like you're beating a game up and down with no real end in sight.

49 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

a Colours remaster is hardly what we need at this time. Again, I'm

For once I actually agree with Blue on this. Typically when a company falls back on remasters its cause they have no new ideas........or in Segas case just toss wisp in. *i was agreeing with the first bit i do not know if they think the rest of what i think*

1 minute ago, Zoomzeta said:

...Are you all done talking about whether Colors as whole is a good game or not? Kind of feels like you're beating a game up and down with no real end in sight.

Unless the mods tell us we can not have opinions on the remaster than....imma say people are allowed to think or voice what they think on the game.

I'm kind of tired of this discussion, myself. We all know about Colors and the direction that Sonic went after that, and I really don't care to see this being drawn out all over again when Sonic Central's gonna be on in about twenty minutes.

I'll be so happy if Sonic 3K is revealed to be included in the Sonic Collection.

Alright Sega, knock our rings out!

Give me a new album SEGA, I've almost got all the soundtracks now!

24 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

For once I actually agree with Blue on this. Typically when a company falls back on remasters its cause they have no new ideas........or in Segas case just toss wisp in. *i was agreeing with the first bit i do not know if they think the rest of what i think*

Okay so hard disagree with this. Remasters because they have no ideas? Give over. This is being done because Colours is, 11 years on, still a Wii exclusive. Lots of people missed out on it at the time, and it's not readily available on current platforms despite being a general will received game. It's something to ride people over and generate a positive atmosphere. You're 100% wrong if you think that SEGA are making this because they have no new ideas.

• Thumbs Up 1