Awoo.

Sonic Central Presentation coming May 27th | New Projects to be Announced

Wraith

1 hour ago, CrystalMaelStorm said:

You know, looking at that picture, I wonder if, on the right, that the model for Sonic is a new one?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. It almost looks like a little bit of a mix between Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic. Maybe it is from Sonic Prime after all?

• Thumbs Up 3

It's modern Sonic, but they've been trying to integrate more elements of Classic into his design since Lost World came out so they may have snuck in a few more.

• Thumbs Up 2

I know better than to get excited for a new Sonic game or games until they're actually released and we know if they're any good or not... yet that single one minute long teaser video has me excited all the same.

I expect Thursday's announcements will focus on the rereleases/remasters, with something to tease the actual new game(s) reveal as coming soon. There's no need for Sega to blow all of their headline generating material all at once.

• Thumbs Up 2

RGG studios only recently came out with their interest in working on the Sonic license, so there is no way they could have much on paper just yet.

But boy am I curious why they decided to dogpile onto this twitter train.

1 hour ago, charmsb said:

Doubt it. In all his talks, he barely even mentioned company policy, from what I remember. He just kinda said it's time he moves on. I think he came back for this as a sort of "passing of the torch" as someone mentioned earlier. It's not like he was doing a Sonic voice, anyway.

Could be indeed, but then I see his responses like this and start to wonder.

623585579_RCSshrug.jpg.3c45c60df0db88732ef8cc546649b7b9.jpg

...And this exchange was from back in February, I screencapped and posted it here at the time, always found it curious...

1296125113_RCSTweet.jpg.90e4a8b56303d744571555fbc6bcd7d4.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

God, looking at Twitter, it's like everyone's been zapped with a ray gun that flips your personality or some shit. A day ago, people were ready to march to SEGA Headquarters and burn the place down. Now everyone's singing and dancing in the streets over there, falling off their chairs over that little scene of him running they snuck in the trailer.

I'm not going to pretend I'm not excited too but it's just a tad funny. It's like watching a nature documentary. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Absolutely 1

No matter what’s announced some people will criticize it for some reason. It happens to every single thing in entertainment. Everything has naysayers that just like being cynical for the sake of it seems.

5 hours ago, Jovahexeon The Undyne said:

Never have I lost faith that he genuinely loves this series and wants to see it grow good. Same for NiGHTS.

If he was given the task of revitalizing things (without SEGA Sammy's influence for once), I'd have faith he'd be able to pull it off as well.

That's funny, because I was just thinking I want him off the Sonic franchise. I don't believe he can revitalize the franchise long-term and new blood would do the series well.

2 hours ago, Gotta Go Rational said:

Could be indeed, but then I see his responses like this and start to wonder.

623585579_RCSshrug.jpg.3c45c60df0db88732ef8cc546649b7b9.jpg

...And this exchange was from back in February, I screencapped and posted it here at the time, always found it curious...

1296125113_RCSTweet.jpg.90e4a8b56303d744571555fbc6bcd7d4.jpg

If he's just back for the latest game, fine, but I hope they didn't go back on replacing him.

2 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

God, looking at Twitter, it's like everyone's been zapped with a ray gun that flips your personality or some shit. A day ago, people were ready to march to SEGA Headquarters and burn the place down. Now everyone's singing and dancing in the streets over there, falling off their chairs over that little scene of him running they snuck in the trailer.

I'm not going to pretend I'm not excited too but it's just a tad funny. It's like watching a nature documentary. 

Can't say I'm different. After this announcement, I really got in the mood to play some Sonic Adventure. 😅 Might do a PS Now trial to play it.

49 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

No matter what’s announced some people will criticize it for some reason. It happens to every single thing in entertainment. Everything has naysayers that just like being cynical for the sake of it seems.

spacer.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 3

13 hours ago, N000 said:

Could well be a CG trailer for Colours Ultimate. Looks like he has the "laser" glow around him.

I went on the Sega AGES channel and saw this...

Screenshot 2021-05-26 12.51.56 AM.png

14 hours ago, Jack-al said:

Okay first, I'm gonna miss the premiere, I'll be at my singing lesson huh. But will watch it as soon as I get back home.

Second, at this stage I really feel bad that some of the stuff was leaked.

Third, that video right there is so epic, Roger is back again, bits of new footage, IDW and Evan Stanley. It's just great.

I'll miss it too. I'll be at school.

I wonder what the chances are that this new footage is a sneak peak at Sonic Prime.

Yeah, Sonic's getting a new TV show too I just remembered. 

I'd rather it be from a new game but it would help shave off the fear I have of being disappointed in the look of a new CGI show at least.

• Thumbs Up 1

Every time I say this, people seem to hate me, but if Sonic does get an updated design, I want it to be a more modern version of this:

unnamed.thumb.jpg.0b3017679358cbb9bcf06a5f8aa35692.jpg

If Mario can get actual hair, so can Sonic :( They gave him a bit of a fur texture in Adventure, but nothing really since. He just looks like molded plastic nowadays.

22 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I wonder what the chances are that this new footage is a sneak peak at Sonic Prime.

Yeah, Sonic's getting a new TV show too I just remembered. 

I'd rather it be from a new game but it would help shave off the fear I have of being disappointed in the look of a new CGI show at least.

It's hard to tell with how short and small it is, but I think it looks too good for a TV Show.

I don't want a hairy Sonic!!...
He's ugly with hairs (not as ugly as the one in the movie but not nice at all this way)...

The thing with Sonic and hair is that it's not clear where his head ends and his hair-hair begins (I'm not calling it "quills", tons of Sonic characters just have hairstyles that look exactly the same without being quills), so when you cover his entire body in fur, it furthers the impression that his spines are just fleshy head-tentacles.

5 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

The thing with Sonic and hair is that it's not clear where his head ends and his hair-hair begins (I'm not calling it "quills", tons of Sonic characters just have hairstyles that look exactly the same without being quills), so when you cover his entire body in fur, it furthers the impression that his spines are just fleshy head-tentacles.

They already are that, so that changes nothing lol. With fur, you can add extra, smaller spikes without it looking weird and bad in 3D like Boom Sonic.

I mean...they're not. If they are, then Sonic is the one mutant head-tentacle freak in a world of people with normal hair. That's definitely not in his bone structure, since Knuckles's skull in Sonic 3 is totally smooth, no tentacles to be found. I don't know how either of them put on a helmet without going through excruciating pain.

1 minute ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

I mean...they're not. If they are, then Sonic is the one mutant head-tentacle freak in a world of people with normal hair. That's definitely not in his bone structure, since Knuckles's skull in Sonic 3 is totally smooth, no tentacles to be found. I don't know how either of them put on a helmet without going through excruciating pain.

I didn't mean literally lol

...I guess I don't know what figurative flesh tentacles are like.

• Chuckle 1

4 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

...I guess I don't know what figurative flesh tentacles are like.

Design-wise they're basically just extensions of the head. The art and games don't generally differentiate his head and quills. In-universe, they're not flesh tentacles, though.

Spoiler

26 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

It's one of those things that you're not really meant to think about, and for that reason I find that the added detail of fur often makes him look too detailed. His still managed to look fine in the movie however, and seems to imply that his regular spikes are just a styling of many smaller, individual spines arranged into a shape, not dissimilar to that of a real hedgehog. 

Spoiler

tempsnip.png

That's only if you read between the lines of what's ultimately just a gag. His chest hair is also fluffy in that scene. And also it's the movie, not the games.

Sonic's spikes are just... Sonic's spikes. I hate the imagery of of Sonic having these huge, floppy, hairy tumours hanging off his head, and I find that almost inevitable whenever someone tries to give him fur that's too details. That '06 render is a prime example of that, honestly. They really should just keep him simply textured. But like I said before, the movie generally pulls of his furrier look pretty well, so I'm not totally against idea these days.

Wait what the fuck does this have to do with the teaser clip? Spoilering my response to @Marcello and @Shaddy Zaphod's discussion about Sonic and fur cause it's going off-topic. 

This looks like the same model that SEGA have been using for CGI in all of the games since at least Unleashed. If it's changed at all for this new game (/whatever this clip might be), then it's only a minor chance and almost certainly not "Sonic with hair".

ezgif-6-9b0a9245001b.gif

The in-game model for Sonic Team games since Unleashed have all used virtually the same model at varying levels of fidelity (and I'm including minor design changes ala Forces in that). The Olympics and Sumo Racing series' all use SatSR's in-game model (darker blue, longer spines, rounder eyes, pronounced eyebrow). The latter is is my preference over the usual Sonic Team model, which is so shapeless and bland. It's not as much of an issue in the CGI stuff as it is in the gameplay though.

Either way, the design in this clip is still just regular Modern Sonic. They even made sure to show us his arms, which are still most definitely not blue.

Edited by Blue Blood

13 hours ago, Badnik Mechanic said:

You.... Whaaaaa! 

This is the one studio that I'm surprised might have something to do with Sonic. I know RGG Studios is Sega but still. Having played most Yakuza games makes me really curious if they will have any crossover with Sonic (maybe a Sonic arcade in Lost Judgment?).

Spoiler

I think the movie works better because he's all fluff. A lot of furred Sonic designs tend to interpret the muzzle, chest and arms as being like...shaved? It's weird. And yeah, the thing about the quills is basically true since real hedgehog quills literally are hair anyway, but I do think it'd be interesting or funny to see Sonic style his hair different ways. Just as some optional costume or Sonic Channel art, nothing serious.

Anyway, yeah. Mystery CG Sonic is not a meaningfully different design from the Sonic we're used to. The only difference I've heard is that the cuffs of his gloves are flat where they meet his wrists rather than having a bit of space where his arm goes into them, but that's inconsistent across different CG sequences and promo art.

I wouldn't want a radical redesign of Sonic anyway. The complaints about his appearance changing since Unleashed mostly strike me as unfounded and really minor. My big problem with Sonic's design is that his mouth doesn't move enough. The boom cartoon did it best, giving him a face that was stretchy enough to have a side mouth sometimes and a front mouth at others, it should be like that for everyone.

Also, maybe this is just because I was watching some 06 playthroughs, but if macguffins play a role in the story, give Sonic or Tails a backpack so we don't have the "pulling emeralds out of our asses" problem.

• Thumbs Up 3