Awoo.

Sonic Central Presentation coming May 27th | New Projects to be Announced

Wraith

I gotta say that 30th Anniversary promo has me feeling optimistic because it seemed to signal a seriousness about Sonic that just wasn't present for the 25th Anniversary. It felt like SEGA was phoning it in from the day Forces was announced. The Mania hype helped distract from that for a while, but once Mania was out it seemed like SEGA wasn't invested in marketing their next big Sonic game and they had been equally uninvested in developing it. I hope this presentation means that SEGA is stepping up their investment both in marketing Sonic and in making Sonic because the game side of the franchise isn't going to sustain itself if all we get are games like Sonic Forces.

I guess the only thing that has me kind of optimistic is just the level of radio silence that has been going on at SEGA. Gotta give them credit for just holding stuff together like that, with minimal leaks within a month of reveals. As well as the embracing of Sonic being a multi-media franchise proper, so it feels like all the parts are having something to contribute to the state of the series as a whole again.

• Thumbs Up 3

15 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Note that Smith specifies that he's voicing Sonic in the games. It's still likely that a new VA, probably Canadian to align with local laws, will be voicing Sonic in Prime.

Since Colleen has already confirmed she won't be in Prime citing not being Canadian as the reason I'd say that's pretty likely. 

Was getting to the idea he had left, but alright. Cool, why fix what ain't broke? This franchise needs consistency, so of course the guy who's been voicing him a decade should be kept around.

Surprised they didn't bother to wait one more month and have the anouncements on the actual Anniversary day.

Which makes me suspect (one of) the anouncements will be for something released on the actual Anniversary day itself.
Probably not THE BIG GAME we're waiting for, probably just an update for the mobile phone games or that Sonic collection everyone's talking about.
Still would be nice to actually have some kind of a game release on the actual day of celebration for once.

Roger's back again huh? Yay.
Only anouncement I'm waiting for Thursday is the triumphant return of Pontaff. Since this infernal Meta era just refuses to die.
Sigh, say about the dark age what you want, at least it had the common courtesy to leave after a couple years.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was actually kind of hoping to see some new voices for the characters. The Studiopolis cast was never my most favorite, but that could be the voice direction as well. Hopefully the voice direction will be better, because if Jason Griffith could do well in Unleashed, I'm sure the Studiopolis cast could do well, too. Especially since I saw this video of Roger doing Ryan Drummond's lines and him sounding pretty dang good.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just want him to be given some non-comedy-Sonic material. I’m concerned that even if we get something like that, it’ll be the verbal equivalent of a frowny emoji. That’s the impression I got from those moments in Forces. Not to knock the guy but that’s honestly how I feel. 

maybe with better writing I can get behind his Sonic. I dunno. His voice and the terrible meta writing are just intertwined so far. 

On 5/25/2021 at 7:12 PM, Whatever the WhoCares said:

To me the gif looks like sunset in a forest.  The leaves and bushes looks too dark to be the Planet Wisp aesthetic. 

There’s no way that could ever be Planet Wisp

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Good lord man its just the voice actor, nor the writers or developers who did the real damage to the his franchise. Roger staying or going isn't gonna magically change the franchise significantly on its own 

I agree to an extent, but after Forces, it’s understandable to just want nothing to do with the 2010s 

Yeah, I like Roger a lot and he's voiced Sonic in things that weren't written by Pontaff. I'd like to see an era where that stayed true for the games. It already happened with TSR and that was the most recent outing.

It also happened with Rise of Lyric but no one cares.

3 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Roger's back again huh? Yay.
Only anouncement I'm waiting for Thursday is the triumphant return of Pontaff. Since this infernal Meta era just refuses to die.
Sigh, say about the dark age what you want, at least it had the common courtesy to leave after a couple years.

In today's patented massive overreaction, Sonic is Doomed because... um... a voice? Because... a voice actor does work?

This will most definitely kill the series. This is it. Sonic is dead because Roger Craig Smith did not in fact combust and die due to your undeserved hatred for him.

• Thumbs Up 2

Smith being back gives me some weird feelings. I mean, I'm happy for the guy, and I like his voice, but I was a little bit excited to see who the new guy was gonna be. I suppose if we're going with the assumption that Sonic Prime played a part, we might still hear him in that (and, oh dear, someone other than Pollock as Eggman!), but the reversal makes me wonder just what the fuck happened there.

Anyway, I guess this is still good news?

29 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Smith being back gives me some weird feelings. I mean, I'm happy for the guy, and I like his voice, but I was a little bit excited to see who the new guy was gonna be. I suppose if we're going with the assumption that Sonic Prime played a part, we might still hear him in that (and, oh dear, someone other than Pollock as Eggman!), but the reversal makes me wonder just what the fuck happened there.

Anyway, I guess this is still good news?

Yes, it is. Regardless of how you feel about Roger, Sonic having a consistent voice is great news.

• Thumbs Up 3

I mean, not really? If the voice sucks you want them to change it. I'll take inconsistent over consistently bad any day. Roger is good because he's good, not because he's been around a long time.

5 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

I mean, not really? If the voice sucks you want them to change it. I'll take inconsistent over consistently bad any day. Roger is good because he's good, not because he's been around a long time.

That's why I said, "regardless of how you feel" for a reason :V

Obviously if you hate Roger, it doesn't apply to you does it.

But yes, it IS a good thing to have a consistent voice. That's why Mario is still Charles Martinet after all.

Sonic already got a new voice for the movies and will probably have yet another voice for the series. I'm glad Roger will stick around for consistence sake, and personally, I like his Sonic. And who knows, maybe he'll surprise us in the next game when the script has everything to be better if Pontaff is really gone.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm sure Smith can do a better job if given proper material to work with.

His iteration of Sonic sounds like a dork, because he's ostensibly been written to be a dork.

• Thumbs Up 4

Smith's unexpected return is a nice surprise. I hope he get's better writing in the future.

• Thumbs Up 1

The thing is, it’s unfair to say whether RCS can or cannot convincingly portray a genuinely concerned Sonic, because whether it be through poor writing or silly narrative context, he’s never been given a reason to. 

You know, I can bitch and moan all I want but my racing heart whenever someone lays out why I should get excited let's me know I'm full of shit.

I love Sonic.

• Fist Bump 1

ok so we are less than 24 hours away from the presentation right?

I should be hyped, but honestly I'm more concerned than hyped... they might announce some great stuff, but things can also go wrong... the situation is so uncertain that I really can't express anything until I know what they actually have to show. So I'm not negative nor positive, just impatient.

Though I'm happy that the wait is finally coming to an end tomorrow (wathever they will announce, minor or major, it's still better than the radio silence we had so far).

• Thumbs Up 1