Awoo.

Roger is BACK!!!

Eurisko

Roger Craig Smith is officially back as the Blue Blur.

Super happy to see him continue this role. Like him or not he does have a love the series for sure. 

• Thumbs Up 6

That sucks. Not a fan of him as Sonic. Was excited to hear a potentially better voice. I guess I'll stick to the German dub. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Did not expect this news at all, I always figured a company as stubborn as Sega would just double down on their choice and not go backwards. Glad to see this isn't one of those cases!

I've really warmed up to Roger over the years thanks to Boom, so I'm happy he's back in those red shoes!

This fucking sucks. I hate his performance as Sonic, and just when I thought we finally get rid of him, he comes back again. Out of all the Sonic VAs to come back, why did it have to be Roger? lol

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

• Thumbs Up 1

Good for him. Not my favorite voice for Sonic, but he deserves this. Sega, and the video game industry as a whole, needs to treat more voice actors with respect like Japan does. We’ve had the same voice for Sonic in Japan since Adventure, and consistency is very nice. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Man, makes you wonder what the hell happened earlier this year. 

I was already prepared to hear a different voice, but I guess I'm okay with this as well. Welcome back.

The best Sonic VA is here to stay.

Hurray!

Seriously though, this is amazing news. I wonder if SEGA had a change of heart or they just finally started listening to the fans.

Either way, it's certainly a nice olive branch for starters!

• Thumbs Up 2

Here I was hoping for Max Mittleman to be the new voice.

Lets just hope he has better voice direction for the next game.

Good sportsmanship from Ben Schwartz. 

However you feel about Roger's work, it cannot be stated how much of an impact he's had judging by the reactions. And the fact that him and Sega were able to patch things up gives me good feelings that they aren't as draconian as I thought.

I'm glad he patched things up with SEGA, but I'm not really a fan of his Sonic voice, Boom aside. Hopefully they'll maybe provide a different voice direction for the actors like in Sonic Unleashed, though. 

EDIT: This video really showed me that it was the voice direction and corny script that was a turnoff. This is pretty great!

11 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

This fucking sucks. I hate his performance as Sonic, and just when I thought we finally get rid of him, he comes back again. Out of all the Sonic VAs to come back, why did it have to be Roger? lol

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Is it possible to maybe just say you're not fond of him without trashing him? Like good lord this is an overreaction to a voice actor keeping a role.

• Thumbs Up 7

Can't say I wasn't curious what a new VA could bring to the character, but I like RCS's Sonic, so I'm pretty satisfied with this. Gotta wonder a bit what all went down behind the scenes though.

• Thumbs Up 3

The king has returned! Good for Roger.

Is this the first time a Sonic VA has been re-hired are leaving the role?

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Probably because a lot of people like him in the role, and he got unceremoniously kicked out of it randomly, while most of the other cast members got to stay?

Like, say what you will on his Sonic. I get being disappointed because you dislike Roger's Sonic and you wanted someone else, that's fine. But many, many people were saddened to see him not only leave the role, but get thrown out of it. He was heartbroken over it, other VAs felt the need to come in and talk about how shit the VA industry is and how disposable they are, especially when in so many other industries, iconic roles like that aren't so easily recast, and again - while it was in the air for a bit, we later found out that only Roger, specifically - was getting removed for some reason.

This isn't a "the more things change the more they stay the same" thing. Literally if that was the case, Sonic would have a new VA, just like when Ryan and Jason were removed from the role. Something specifically happened here that caused SEGA to revaluate and change their minds, let it be fan outcry, the reaction from the VA community, or something else that we don't know about. Something happened to change SEGA's minds and keep him on, something that hasn't happened before with other Sonic VAs. Acting like it's something that no one wanted, or it isn't good, even for the VA community is pretty silly.

Good for Roger and people that like him. Personally I'm not excited for more of his nasally performance.

5 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Is it possible to maybe just say you're not fond of him without trashing him? Like good lord this is an overreaction to a voice actor keeping a role.

I never enjoyed Roger as Sonic, and just when I thought he finally left I had hope that we'll get an English voice that's more suited for Sonic. I feel like I got baited for a potential better future but then it got taken away, was a nice dream for 4 months though.

Guess I'll still be sticking to the Japanese voices again.

I am as ecstatic to see RCS return as I am curious as to what was going on behind the scenes to cause him to lose and regain the role in a span of like five? months. Whatever is revealed tomorrow, I'm glad that Sonic's voice is one thing that will be good.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm glad he's back but I just have to wonder why there was that whole blow up in the first place?

What, did Sega realize they couldn't afford Schwarz and then had to renegotiate with Smith after he basically seeded things were shitty enough that he had to quit originally?

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Absolutely 2

Yaay, Pizza Hut Sonic is back forever. 😒

Ah well, can't wait for whoevers voicing Sonic in Prime to utterly blow his performance out of the water.