Awoo.

Roger is BACK!!!

Eurisko

So happy, I actually jumped up and down when I read this news and that is really unlike me to have such a reaction lol.

Didn’t Roger move sometime late last year? I always wondered if his new location was a sticking point for recording studio availability etc but maybe we’ll never know what actually happened. All I care about is that he’s back and I’m so happy.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm so happy to have Smith back, especially since all signs indicate that Pontac and Graff won't be worrying the script. We don't know for sure that the new writers will be better, but it's certainly possible now. Smith will have much better material to work with.

However... I have to say that I'm a little bit concerned and who will be voicing everyone else. Tails and Eggman's VAs are both returning, so that's great. Those two have always been brilliant. But Shadow and Knuckles? Not so much. There's been quite a number of periodical changes since the big VA recast in 2010 too, and I was kind of looking forward to everyone getting a fresh new voice (seeing as other actors left too). Will Cindy Robinson return as Amy? I hope so, but I still also hope that Mitchell and Thornton don't return to voice Knuckles and Shadow as they did in TSR. I'm looking forward to more news announcements on the VA front.

19 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Can't say I wasn't curious what a new VA could bring to the character, but I like RCS's Sonic, so I'm pretty satisfied with this. Gotta wonder a bit what all went down behind the scenes though.

I'm roughly in the same boat. Roger isn't really my favorite voice for the character, but he did some nice work and seems like a good guy all around, so I'm glad this got sorted out in the end.

14 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

I never enjoyed Roger as Sonic, and just when I thought he finally left I had hope that we'll get an English voice that's more suited for Sonic.

How is Roger not suited for Sonic? He sounds cocky and adventurous. That's like trademark Sonic.

22 minutes ago, TheOcelot said:

The king has returned! Good for Roger.

Is this the first time a Sonic VA has been re-hired are leaving the role?

I think so. Not counting the cameos a few DiC voices had in the movie...

1 minute ago, SBR2 said:

How is Roger not suited for Sonic? He sounds cocky and adventurous. That's like trademark Sonic.

I just personally hate his voice and performance, I feel like he's always trying way too hard. Sorry.

Just now, Detective Kaito said:

I just personally hate his voice and performance, I feel like he's always trying way too hard. Sorry.

Fair enough. I just don't think being rude about it and acting like it's the end of the world is a proportionate response. 

Wow! I didn't expect this. It's pretty nice that he will come back.

If he is coming back. Does this means that Colleen and Cindy will come back? Colleen did say this a few months ago.

Happy to hear Roger remains. Suspected for months that his departure wasn't as certain as it first seemed, with the cryptic "fingers crossed" response to a fan on twitter back in February really solidifying my thoughts that nothing was certain yet.

1242699511_RCSTweet.jpg.5146c162f66d60c7fd0cf235d2256fcd.jpg

I suspect we'll never know the specifics of what happened, but it's entirely reasonable to believe Roger and SEGA simply had some kind of business/working disagreement and couldn't work things out at the time, so Roger decided to walk, but since then both parties have returned to the negotiation table and they've worked things out. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Great, he's honestly my favorite take on Sonic aside from the movie version. The previous ones always sounded like they were trying way too hard trying to energetic excited or cool. Maybe it was the script, but I just found Sonic's voice grating before.  Roger's version is a bit deep sounding, but sounds bit more natural in deliverance.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, mayday2592 said:

Great, he's honestly my favorite take on Sonic aside form the ovie version. The previous ones always sounded like middle aged men trying to sound overly excited or cool. Roger's version is a bit deep, but sounds bit more natural in deliverance.

And to me it was the others that sounded more natural while Roger was the one that sounded like a middle age man trying to sound cool.

At least I don't have to listen to him, I can just listen to the Japanese dialog.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, BadBehavior said:

And to me it was the others that sounded more natural while Roger was the one that sounded like a middle age man trying to sound cool.

At least I don't have to listen to him, I can just listen to the Japanese dialog.

It's his typical voice for most of characters and not too far from his own voice, guess that's why it's sounds more natural to me. The previous  voicing before clearly were trying to shift their voices to sound excited and "cool" and we got a grating weird sounding voice. Maybe it was the direction they were asked to go with, but I wasn't a fan atleast.

• Thumbs Up 2

Are we seriously going to argue over something as subjective as voice acting quality?

If you like Roger, cool. If you prefer another Va, that's also cool. Can we please at least try to respect each other's preferences.

I know that's hard for Sonic fans, but can we try?

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

46 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

I'm glad he's back but I just have to wonder why there was that whole blow up in the first place?

This is my exact feeling.

This is the first thing I see after waking up and I'm just confused more than anything, even though I like his Sonic.

So even if he was actually let go officially, he never actually left...this was just weird.

I firmly believe he wanted more money, but Sega denied and they went their separate ways. Evidently they were able to re negotiate a new deal and he got to keep his role.

I don't think there's no other way it could have happened 

Hmm... [yawn...] I just feel soOoo... neutral about this news. It is alright for him to be back, as he seems to enjoy the role it is also nice for him to return for his own sake. But on the other hand I was kinda looking forward to something new. I been somewhat hoping for a new direction for the series soon in general, and new voice actors would enhance that feeling of it happening. But having the same old cast just makes me feel the games will won't bother going in a new direction either... regardless of the fact one technically obviously doesn't prevent the other.

On the one hand, I don't necessarily have any love for RCS's performance as Sonic. On the other hand, the VA industry can jump off a duck. Good on him for getting paid.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well that came out of nowhere lol. I'm not exactly excited, as I was curious on who the new voice would be. But as I said before, the man does good work regardless. If he's happy to return as Sonic, good for him. Now I'm just curious on what made him change his mind.

1 hour ago, FloweringFox said:

I'm glad he patched things up with SEGA, but I'm not really a fan of his Sonic voice, Boom aside. Hopefully they'll maybe provide a different voice direction for the actors like in Sonic Unleashed, though. 

EDIT: This video really showed me that it was the voice direction and corny script that was a turnoff. This is pretty great!

Obviously there's no voice direction and proper editing, but I think he sounds terrible in this video.

55 minutes ago, BadBehavior said:

I heard the Japanese version’s writing is often just as bad. I’d prefer an “off” function at this point.

Not that personal preference doesn't play a role here obviously, but I think people forgetting that they're voice ACTORS.

Its not that difficult for them to adjust their performances to suit whatever.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

Some people are taking this news too personally. There's nothing wrong with having a preference for your Sonic and there's nothing wrong with disliking a certain take on Sonic! I'm not too fond of Drummond myself, but celebrating his (at the time seemingly involuntarily) departure and getting up in arms that the poor guy's got one of his favorite roles back? Chillax man.

Anyways, I'm glad my Sonic's here to stay for the foreseeable future 😁

• Thumbs Up 1

Goodness, this has to be a first, cuz we can’t say this about the previous VAs Sonic has had.

• Absolutely 1