Awoo.

Roger is BACK!!!

Eurisko

Very polarizing responses I see, as expected anyway lol. I’m personally ecstatic to hear he’s back. The dude was probably the most passionate about his role as Sonic compared to the others. He really seemed heartbroken over getting the boot. So it really makes me so happy things got patched up.

But yeah, gotta echo what others are saying, that I’m curious about what went down at Sega. Did voice actors strike or come together and make demands to Sega, was Sega trying to get ben, but he was too expensive, did fan outcry play a part?

Either way, I hope this is proof these companies are gonna, hopefully, have a much harder time kicking actors to the curb and treating them like easily disposable voices, going forward

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1
  • Fist Bump 1

All I hope is that there is a change of direction just so I can see how Roger adapts to it.

• Thumbs Up 4

4 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Very polarizing responses I see, as expected anyway lol. I’m personally ecstatic to hear he’s back. The dude was probably the most passionate about his role as Sonic compared to the others. He really seemed heartbroken over getting the boot. So it really makes me so happy things got patched up.

But yeah, gotta echo what others are saying, that I’m curious about what went down at Sega. Did voice actors strike or come together and make demands to Sega, was Sega trying to get ben, but he was too expensive, did fan outcry play a part?

Either way, I hope this is proof these companies are gonna, hopefully, have a much harder time kicking actors to the curb and treating them like easily disposable voices, going forward

One can only hope.

When I tell you this is the LAST thing I expected lol. Can't say I'm not super happy though. I was pretty nervous to see who the next VA would be as I'm pretty picky. I always liked Roger. I really wonder what changed SEGA's/Roger's mind though. I'm thinking SEGA realized people really like him and offered more money? Idk why this took months though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Can't say I'm not a bit disappointed. I don't dislike Roger's performance as Sonic, but it's definitely not my favorite either, so I was genuinely curious about a new actor in the role. Roger's acting as Sonic is solid, he knows how to deliver his lines and get across Sonic's snark. But I've always felt his voice is too deep for Sonic so I wish we could have seen someone with a different register. Guess I'll just have to keep listening to Sonic & Tails R and thinking about what could have been.

Also, general lol at Sega for clearly backtracking to save face.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love Roger so of course I'm glad he's back. Like with any person who had months of time to marinate on the news, I did grow a bit interested in thinking of what a new Sonic voice would sound like. Regardless, the reaction would have been polarizing, as it always is.

What I truly want is for some better voice direction. The difference between his voice on TV vs. some of these games is a little jarring. Even Mike Pollock isn't completely immune to it at times.

• Thumbs Up 4

51 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

All I hope is that there is a change of direction just so I can see how Roger adapts to it.

Agreed. Roger was consistently great on Boom, TSR and Colours, but in Lost World and Forces his performance became much less consistent. And who can blame him when the scripts/stories were such garbage and had tones that changed with every other line? I'm so hopeful for a better script with a decent direction in the next game.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm really happy to see this and really did not expect this to happen. I believe people were talking about it the other day as a possibility, but man, I am so happy to have Roger back as Sonic! My personal favorite seems to change a lot, but I enjoy having the consistency so I'm happy that he'll be staying! I think this was a smart move to keep Roger too, as I'm sure it gave SEGA a lot of good grace with the fans for listening to most of us in wanting Roger to stay. He seems like a nice dude and genuinely enjoys playing the character so hopefully he plays him for many more years to come. 

1 hour ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Goodness, this has to be a first, cuz we can’t say this about the previous VAs Sonic has had.

While it is the first for Sonic technically Big got his 4Kids VA back completely out of the blue in Lego Dimensions. 

• Thumbs Up 2

25 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

While it is the first for Sonic technically Big got his 4Kids VA back completely out of the blue in Lego Dimensions. 

Kind of forgot he appeared in the game.

It's funny how we're all collectively, myself and even Roger included, declaring that "Roger's back", as if there was an actual era of the games where another voice actor had since taken over as Sonic, and Smith was now returning to reclaim the role for himself after an absence, when this could've theoretically came and went behind the scenes and none of us would've been any the wiser. 😅

• Thumbs Up 5
  • My Emmerdoods 1

I actually am pretty happy for Roger here, he does seem to genuinely love the role.

From a personal perspective though, while I was a huge fan of his Sonic early on (2010-2013), afterwards...I'm not sure how to put it. I mellowed out on it, I guess? He does a fine job so I'm not upset or anything, but I'm not really that attached to his Sonic. I was looking forward to seeing what a new VA could bring to the table too.

But yeah, I guess now all we can do is hope whatever comes next is actually decent material for him and the other actors to work with. Oh boy.

• Thumbs Up 3

YAAY!! Glad to see Roger back!  It's great that he's dedicated to this role and I really hope they give him better material to work with this time around.

• Thumbs Up 2

Glad the guy has work but I'm not happy that Sega didn't take the opportunity to find a fresh new face for a new decade.  They did the right thing by casting Roger in 2010 as a fresh new face for the role.  2021 comes around and we could've had a new Sonic.  We have the movie Sonic but he's not replacing the game Sonic.  Sonic needs a new VA and again, nothing against Roger but honestly, they need to cast someone new in Sonic's shoes to give the series some fresh legs if they want to help Sonic become relevant again gaming wise.

7 minutes ago, SatAMhog said:

Glad the guy has work but I'm not happy that Sega didn't take the opportunity to find a fresh new face for a new decade.  They did the right thing by casting Roger in 2010 as a fresh new face for the role.  2021 comes around and we could've had a new Sonic.  We have the movie Sonic but he's not replacing the game Sonic.  Sonic needs a new VA and again, nothing against Roger but honestly, they need to cast someone new in Sonic's shoes to give the series some fresh legs if they want to help Sonic become relevant again gaming wise.

Don't you think they did after he temporarily left?

Maybe they found the guy they're gonna use for Sonic Prime before all this, planned on doing a "replace everyone to keep it closer to the show" like in 2005, and then changed their minds.

Not wholly likely given that Pollock and Villard indicated they weren't going anywhere, but not impossible.

1 hour ago, Zoomzeta said:

Don't you think they did after he temporarily left?

He wasn't really gone that long...

6 minutes ago, Simasuu said:

THE CITY'S BEEN FUCKING DESTROYED! ...Sorry I had to do that.

Though I am now wondering if they'll keep that if they remake Adventure. I mean it's been meme'd and made fun of so much they pretty much have to right? Same for "get a load of this" and most of Eggman's lines really. 

Say what you will about Roger Craig Smith. He's been the voice for Sonic for many years now. Lots of fans literally grew up identifying his voice for the blue blur. The news of him retiring from his role the first time sucked, but it's great that Sega agreed to bring him back!

4 hours ago, SBR2 said:

THE CITY'S BEEN FUCKING DESTROYED! ...Sorry I had to do that.

Though I am now wondering if they'll keep that if they remake Adventure. I mean it's been meme'd and made fun of so much they pretty much have to right? Same for "get a load of this" and most of Eggman's lines really. 

I am of the believe that if they attempt to remake SA1, they would have to essentially to do it from scratch a la FF7 Remake. But that's just me really.

4 hours ago, Zoomzeta said:

I am of the believe that if they attempt to remake SA1, they would have to essentially to do it from scratch a la FF7 Remake. But that's just me really.

Oh, sure but there's some lines that are so famous you'd think even if it was a more accurate version of the script they'd still have to include them.

That's great to hear! After Boom, I really did warm up to his voicework for the blue blur. I hope this means that it opens up the possibility for Cindy returning for Amy as well since she's the other one who had the announced departure. Her recent voicework for Amy is just perfect that I almost find it a little difficult for the cute little pink hedgehog to have a good replacement who could match that tone. She's definitely my favorite Amy voice out of the three.  It would certainly be cool to have four of the five main characters maintain their VAs for future games.

On 5/26/2021 at 11:01 AM, Eurisko said:

Roger Craig Smith is officially back as the Blue Blur.

Super happy to see him continue this role. Like him or not he does have a love the series for sure. 

Meh.. I was/am ready for someone else to take over