Awoo.

Sonic Colors: Rise of the Wisps Animation Announced

Sonictrainer

Alright, I'm down. This looks cute and I've been aching for more 2D animation since their last batch for Team Sonic Racing!

The promotional shorts they've done over the years--like the ones Pokémon has been doing--are probably the pieces of new Sonic media I enjoy the most these days. They're just so charming and fun, and it's a really nice surprise to get to hear full voice acting in them after they shied away from it in previous ones. Something about the graphic look to this too reminds me of Yui Karasuno's artwork that's been done for the Japanese social media.

My only real complaint is that they don't do much of them at a time.

• Thumbs Up 4

4 hours ago, Faker Face-Off CC14 said:

Also, is it me, or does Tails in that sneak peek sound more like Kate Higgins than Colleen? 

Sounds like Colleen to me. I don't think Kate is interested in coming back. 

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

Sounds like Colleen to me. I don't think Kate is interested in coming back. 

It sounded a lot more like Kate to me. If it is her, that'd be a neat little reprise for the Colors cartoon. 

I can't be 100% certain because they sound almost identical but I feel I can tell the difference. When that sneak preview of Sonic Boom came out, I immediately knew something was up with Tails' voice. If it isn't then she sounds exactly like her now, which would be wild.

Kate didn't leave of her own accord guys, she's part of a VA union and couldn't reprise Tails in Boom. Sega just figured it was easier to keep things consistent with Tails having the same voice in both brands...except Boom died so LOL. 

22 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Kate didn't leave of her own accord guys, she's part of a VA union and couldn't reprise Tails in Boom. Sega just figured it was easier to keep things consistent with Tails having the same voice in both brands...except Boom died so LOL. 

From what we gathered in an interview with Colleen, Kate had to reaudition for Boom and lost the part to Colleen. 

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

Making this voiced was a bad decision, the silent ones were enjoyable cause I didn't have to suffer through any horrible dialogue or voice acting.

Welp, Roger is back now and the "voice direction" people keep blaming for his bad performance isn't improving at all.

Happy 30th Anniversary, Sonic.

Y'know, I was going to make a snarky comment, but I'm genuinely concerned that you have like a personal vendetta against Roger Craig Smith for voicing a cartoon hedgehog "wrong" and it's like, you alright bro? 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 2

20 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

It sounded a lot more like Kate to me. If it is her, that'd be a neat little reprise for the Colors cartoon. 

I can't be 100% certain because they sound almost identical but I feel I can tell the difference. When that sneak preview of Sonic Boom came out, I immediately knew something was up with Tails' voice. If it isn't then she sounds exactly like her now, which would be wild.

Personally I think they're pretty distinct. Kate is a lot deeper than Colleen. In the first Boom trailer she did sound like she was going deeper but in the game and the show she has a slightly higher pitch to me. Maybe I'm imagining things but I think they do different things with Tails. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

Part 1: 

I like the part where Cubot says:  "Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! ROCKET!" 

Katie Higgins sounds good again as Tails. RGS does a sweet Eggman impression 😅

• Thumbs Up 7

Fun characterization so far.

I especially loved the interaction between Orbot and Metal Sonic. The idea that Orbot admires Metal and sees him as a "big bro" figure is honestly really endearing.

Looking forward to more!

• Thumbs Up 9

I'm amazed at how much I tense up the second something Colors-related pops up because I'm just waiting for someone to say something cringe-y. But it never happened here. The dialogue was great. And hey, they even brought back Kate Higgins as Tails!

• Thumbs Up 1

Still not sold on Sonic's dialogue, but a fun watch nonetheless.

And that cliffhanger... Jesus.

Spoiler

Also love how the lead Wisp was dressed like Solid Snake, lol.

• Thumbs Up 3

28 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Fun characterization so far.

I especially loved the interaction between Orbot and Metal Sonic. The idea that Orbot admires Metal and sees him as a "big bro" figure is honestly really endearing.

Looking forward to more!

My favorite part also I'm honestly kinda mad now they didn't set up this dynamic sooner as its really enjoyable  and I just like the idea of Eggman bots having a silly hierarchy within their ranks 

• Thumbs Up 7

I don't actually remember a time in the games where Metal Sonic and Orbot & Cubot were in the same scene. They are almost mutually exclusive characters.

Anyhoo, Gigidigi / Hiimdaisy co-wrote this? Noice.

• Thumbs Up 1

Very fun. I love it keeps itself in tone with Colors but also let's itself feel like it's it's own thing.

Also I need a full series about the Wisp strike team that saves Jade.

• Thumbs Up 4

I like the writing & characterization here, it is done far better then compared to the story scenes from the actual game itself... Also I really enjoyed seeing the 2 lackey bots interact with Metal Sonic and how Orbot looks up to Metal, feels weird how the games never done this kinda dynamic between them yet. So far this mini-series is great!

• Thumbs Up 4

"Yup. There's my sidekick Sonic, acting pathetic and ready to run in fear the instant the going gets tough. I shudder to think that there'd ever be an instance where I'd do the same."

qOdXrHKk7siNvv-EbnIamapI0vw7BbUXvXjuJTQ0W7CS2GPt2vFokM5fQrJRMEW9eeubxAd67RqqzuBgtNcVF_pbNNeF8fbesQ2wG9sz2gHchhyEz0Y-79YZ15W3N25NbKVSQesC

• Thumbs Up 6

Nice little present for my birthday, thanks SEGA.

Great characterization, good humour and I have to say, I'm growing rather fond of our main cast of voice actors, I really liked the dialogue. Can we formally declare Orbot and Cubot as core Sonic characters anyway? And not some meta-era inclusion that doesn't fit.

The animation is splendid, and even the wisps show their personality here. 

• Thumbs Up 3