Awoo.

Sonic Origins | MT | General Discussion

Ryannumber1gamer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

PSA: This topic is now exclusively for the general discussion of Sonic Origins.

Any new information or announcements surrounding this game (new patches, substantial comments from developers etc) need to be made in a new, separate topic.

I have a feeling this collection is going to be some kind of buggy, rushed disaster to a certain extent. Pretty weird that they literally had no footage to show from it when it was announced, instead opting to use footage from the Taxman remakes and Genesis emulation in S3K's case. It gives me the feeling that it was super early in development when it was announced, which is kinda weird.

I expect them to announce it for a Spring release then delay it to late Summer or something.

• Thumbs Up 2

I doubt it will be delayed. The entire point of it is to tie in with the second movie. Even if they had to roll with buggy emulation to get it out the door, they would.

And yeah, the use of Taxman footage in the original reveal might turn out to be quite misleading, since (by the sound of it) they aren't using those remasters, and whatever they do have I doubt would be of a similar level of quality.

I keep seeing people saying that Origins is supposed to come out before the movie. I used to think so as well until I saw a comment somewhere, probably on either youtube or twitter, that pointed out that in this article, which I think is where people got this idea, all Iizuka said, paraphrased, at least, was that Origins would be with us before the "upcoming Sonic sequel." Iizuka probably meant that it would come out before Sonic Frontiers, which he of course wasn't going to refer to by name, but the wording in the article led people to assume that he meant before the movie sequel. Unless someone has a link to another source where Iizuka explicitly says "Origins will be out before Sonic Movie 2" (I've tried looking but I haven't found one), then I think Origins may well be a May or summer release, which I think would make the lack of gameplay upon announcement and zero updates so far make a lot more sense. Of course, maybe it will be here before the movie anyway, but I don't think they've actually told us yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

I have a feeling this collection is going to be some kind of buggy, rushed disaster to a certain extent. Pretty weird that they literally had no footage to show from it when it was announced, instead opting to use footage from the Taxman remakes and Genesis emulation in S3K's case. It gives me the feeling that it was super early in development when it was announced, which is kinda weird.

I expect them to announce it for a Spring release then delay it to late Summer or something.

90% of the work for Origins is already done. I'd be impressed if Sonic Team was able to screw it up. At least Colors Ultimate has the excuse of being from very different hardware and outsourced to another company

All they really have to add is a menu, achievements, widescreen for Sonic 3, and maybe an optional drop dash...

• Thumbs Up 2

Since I'm not that interested in this collection, I'm gonna say I want them to add some new features to keep it fresh and updated.

But I can't think of much, on top of my head, the only things would be playable Mighty and Ray, and some sort of online mode if possible. I don't think any of this is happening but I would just like to be interested in this project.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Red Hot Jack said:

Since I'm not that interested in this collection, I'm gonna say I want them to add some new features to keep it fresh and updated.

But I can't think of much, on top of my head, the only things would be playable Mighty and Ray, and some sort of online mode if possible. I don't think any of this is happening but I would just like to be interested in this project.

One feature I think people would enjoy is choosing the sprites. Being able to have Sonic 2 sprites in Sonic 1 or Sonic 3 sprites in CD would be fun.

While all good titles, 3K still being my personal favorite in the whole series so far, having so few titles in a collection, especially one with as many older titles as the Sonic franchise has, means they really need to go all out on extras if they want to charge more than pocket change for it.

Iizuka has said as that it would have features that even the recent Sega Ages versions don't have, so we have that to look forward to, whatever they might be.

As some have said tho this collection does seem rather weird in the respect the announcement seemed like they had nothing to show, not even a logo, that it's got (as far as we know) very little in it, and when there's only one/two titles (Sonic 3/ Sonic & Knuckles) that actually needs work put into it to match previous versions of the other titles... it's taking quite a while for them to show anything or talk about it.

• Thumbs Up 3

I wasn't very interested by the compilation (even if I would have bought it) but, having bought and played ZOOL REDIMENSIONED (on Steam), if the 16-bit SONIC games have the same treatment, I guess it could be wonderful!!...
I know SONIC doesn't have the same problems as ZOOL (I mean the original ZOOL, not ZOOL 2 that I have never played), that is you can't see very far in front of Zool when you play (landscape, enemies and so on), but the "Redimensioned" version of the game released in August by the Sumo Digital Academy makes the game a real pleasure to play with all the new things (redimensioned, more beautiful, double jump) and,  even if I wasn't fond of ZOOL, the new version is starting to turn me into a fan (you should try it)!!...
So, being a very long time SONIC fan, I can't imagine how stunning the 16-bit games will be if they have the same "redimensioned" treatment!!...

And of course, if some removed levels could be added in the games (I mean lost levels and even new things by Christian Whitehead like the new final boss for SONIC CD) and included in the Story Mode, it would really be the ultimate 16-bit compilation!!...

And I'd like to have a little something about Ashura (I know, he is just a palet glitch, but for my long time love for SONIC, he means something deep and is very dear to me)...

🤩

I stand corrected...

I guess we are getting some kind of information drop at the TGA's. I can't image they would just show Frontiers when Origins is due sooner. Then again it could just be the movie sequel trailer?

1 hour ago, Tenko said:

I stand corrected...

I guess we are getting some kind of information drop at the TGA's. I can't image they would just show Frontiers when Origins is due sooner. Then again it could just be the movie sequel trailer?

It's not like they couldn't show both. But they may just release Origins without much hype. It's just a collection. The only major new thing is widescreen Sonic & and Knuckles on consoles.

• The title was changed to Sonic Origins | MT | General Discussion
  • 2 weeks later...

I wish this new collection is like a modern Sonic Jam. Sonic Jam is so underrated, the games were actual ports, not emulation, they fixed a lot of bugs and they added a lot of content (such as different difficult levels), and we also got Sonic World that was very impressive for the Sega Saturn, it had very beautiful and detailed graphics with high draw distance. In my opinion, Sonic World looks more beautiful than Mario 64, even with the Sega Saturn being weaker with 3D graphics

• Thumbs Up 4

14 minutes ago, BubbleButt TV said:

bruh what the hell happened to "Stay tuned for more information later in the year!" ...

BF1D2216-ACD9-4B93-AF17-E12AC5F73D5B.jpeg.137b747d74a87ad6b39b84f72fd8db37.jpeg

In hindsight, it should have been pretty obvious that the Sonic Central broadcast back in a May was incredibly premature. It served to announce Colours Ultimate and the symphony, but everything else was pretty lacking. Origins was announced without a logo and using recycled footage of old games, requiring SEGA to later clarify that S3K would indeed be widescreen and not emulations. Frontiers on the other hand got the tiniest of teasers, which felt like an announcement of an announcement. Only problem is, official news on the game went quiet for another half a year until we got an actual trailer at the GAs that was still little more than a teaser. Then there was Prime... What did they even talk about there? They showed off an Eggman logo, I think? 

We were all pretty desperate for news and I'm glad that we got that broadcast. But SEGA clearly weren't ready to actually deliver. Origins should have been showcased or at least properly detailed by now, and instead it's been completely swept under the rug. Makes me wonder if the production is perhaps not going smoothly. I know that some rumours have mentioned this, although I can't remember the source and if its Zippo, well... No. 

• Thumbs Up 6

52 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Makes me wonder if the production is perhaps not going smoothly. I know that some rumours have mentioned this, although I can't remember the source and if its Zippo, well... No. 

Yep, Zippo... All he said is "development is behind schedule, being made on a shoe-string budget with a small ad hoc team, was planned for over two years and was originally going to be made by EveningStar..."

If Origins is gonna to turn out to be shitty fucking mess then I'd rather they just cancel it and spare us all a lot of pain.

Just now, TheOcelot said:

Yep, Zippo... All he said is "development is behind schedule, being made on a shoe-string budget with a small ad hoc team, was planned for over two years and was originally going to be made by EveningStar..."

If Origins is gonna to turn out to be shitty fucking mess then I'd rather they just cancel it and spare us all a lot of pain.

Well I don't trust a word Zippo says. I came to the same conclusion about the game having a potentially troubled development without his supposedly inside information. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. 

• Thumbs Up 2

33 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Well I don't trust a word Zippo says. I came to the same conclusion about the game having a potentially troubled development without his supposedly inside information. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. 

I don't trust what he says either.

If there are development issues then there could be many reasons for this. The most obvious I'd imagine is the pandemic which I also feel badly impacted Colours Ultimate's development.

The games are already made. How would development issues even be possible? At least Colors had the excuse that it was being ported by another studio from a decade old underpowered Nintendo console that runs differently from modern consoles. 

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

The games are already made. How would development issues even be possible? At least Colors had the excuse that it was being ported by another studio from a decade old underpowered Nintendo console that runs differently from modern consoles. 

Because they're still porting/remaking these games for different systems. It's not a completely straightforward process.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm not expecting this to get a big marketing push with it being such a small collection of old games with some having frequent releases already.

On 1/2/2022 at 1:57 PM, Rabid-Coot said:

I'm not expecting this to get a big marketing push with it being such a small collection of old games with some having frequent releases already.

That's the strange thing tho, while it doesn't "need" a big marketing push, having a decent one, especially when it's meant to be releasing around the new movies release, could help sales and the franchise bring in new blood.

The pre-existing fans don't need the push, fans of gaming in general likely don't either. Yet there is a new generation (and their parents who may not game) who will be seeing said movie. Having an ad campaign online, at the cinemas, and on TV etc  marketing the game alongside the movie with the whole "Origins" and "Play as Sonic and friends in their earliest adventures" "..where it all began.." marketing rubbish would likely snag a bunch more sales and future fans than sitting on their butts doing nothing and throwing it out onto digital or whatever.

I'm guessing we will see more next month or closer to the movies release if they have any sense left at all.

On 1/1/2022 at 11:36 PM, CertifiedNobody said:

On 1/1/2022 at 11:59 PM, Jango said:

Because SEGA has the gift of fucking up the simplest of tasks.

Many moons ago I was working in the computer science lab at the University of Hull and we had a pretty simple task.

Get this bit of software running on the vita. It waw a simple computer program that just displayed a red dot on the screen on button press, the colour changes.

We had it running fine on the PC. The xbox dev environment. The PS3 environment and virtually everything else.

The guy running the class said. Now put it on the Vita.

So we did. We ran the compiler, this time targeted the Vita and... it wouldn't compile.

We tried again. Wouldn't work.

We tried another system.

We tried an older/newer build of the software and the compiler... nothing worked.

Admitting defeat. We asked the guy why it wouldn't work. And he said. Change the forward slashes to backslashes.

For reasons nobody knows. The Vita has this odd quirk of its programming library. It thinks this / is \ and vice versa.

That was a 'modern' system trying to display a colourful dot.

Imagine the fun and games that goes into porting 30 year old code if you're not doing it through an emulator.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

6 hours ago, Badnik Mechanic said:

Imagine the fun and games that goes into porting 30 year old code if you're not doing it through an emulator.

There's a team that does just that. Obviously they could've simply refused and SEGA/ST are trying to figure out how to do it themselves. If after all that, it's still those Backbone ports I'm gonna laugh so hard.

2 minutes ago, Jango said:

There's a team that does just that. Obviously they could've simply refused and SEGA/ST are trying to figure out how to do it themselves. If after all that, it's still those Backbone ports I'm gonna laugh so hard.

Backbone didn't ever port any Sonic games. Everything that they produced for the series was emulations (or the Rivals series). If Origins ends up being a collection of emulations, it's going to be a big disappointment, and will go against Iizuka's own comments. 

• Thumbs Up 3

There have been native re-built ports for Sonic, Sonic 2 and Sonic CD in the past. But this will be the first native re-built version of Sonic 3K since Sonic Jam won't it? I think besides the games running as they should, and having a current hardware version of 3K available, my biggest draw is what Iizuka mentioned about the titles having features not in the Sega Ages versions on Switch.

They could just be including the content from the iOS/Android versions, since the Ages versions didn't have things like Hidden Palace which would be nice. Perhaps the Drop-Dash? What 3K content was left on the cutting room floor that they could tinker with, or would they perhaps add Mighty and Ray since Mania helped bring them back into the spotlight.