Awoo.

Sonic Origins | MT | General Discussion

Ryannumber1gamer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

PSA: This topic is now exclusively for the general discussion of Sonic Origins.

Any new information or announcements surrounding this game (new patches, substantial comments from developers etc) need to be made in a new, separate topic.

Not that it's necessary, but I wonder if there will be a little animation representative of each title. Maybe someone already mentioned that idea, don't remember. But either way, I think that'd be pretty cool. 

• Thumbs Up 8

I think the little promo animations we've been getting since Mania are wonderful, so a little toon focusing on each of the 4 classic games is both feasible and desirable.

• Thumbs Up 7

• 3 weeks later...

I realize it's probably not likely, but I wonder if we will see another peak at Origins in tomorrow's Nintendo Direct now that Colours Ultimate has had its launch and advertising spotlight time etc?

Nintendo is advertising its upcoming Winter titles including third party. Which if my geography and time zones are correct would mean Dec-March (?) right?

Tho that would be running on the assumption that Origins is an early 2022 release, since Rangers is likely the later part of 2022 if not the usual Nov'ish slot.

On 9/6/2021 at 11:46 PM, RadicalLaRuby said:

Not that it's necessary, but I wonder if there will be a little animation representative of each title. Maybe someone already mentioned that idea, don't remember. But either way, I think that'd be pretty cool. 

I definitely would love to see more web animations like the Sonic Mania shorts and the Rise of the Wisps shorts for the Sonic Origins series!

31 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I definitely would love to see more web animations like the Sonic Mania shorts and the Rise of the Wisps shorts for the Sonic Origins series!

It'd be cool, but I think the animation budget will go to Rangers, since Origins is an obvious success and won't need the animations to help promote it.

It would be fantastic if there was a continuous mode with all the games back to back. It would be totally over budget for a simple wide-screen collection I'm sure, but imagine streamlining the graphics for the mode in something like Mania style graphics.

My personal dream would be to have a new Christmas Island Zone to begin the adventure and finally show where Sonic is from, an intro area showing his first encounter with Eggman, since Sonic 1 wasn't his first rodeo. Make some new transition scenes for the older games, and for in-between each game. *drools*

Would love some Mania style animations too, either as advertising or in the game for pivotal points. I've destroyed the budget, but I'm not apologizing haha

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Tenko said:

It would be fantastic if there was a continuous mode with all the games back to back. It would be totally over budget for a simple wide-screen collection I'm sure, but imagine streamlining the graphics for the mode in something like Mania style graphics.

My personal dream would be to have a new Christmas Island Zone to begin the adventure and finally show where Sonic is from, an intro area showing his first encounter with Eggman, since Sonic 1 wasn't his first rodeo. Make some new transition scenes for the older games, and for in-between each game. *drools*

Would love some Mania style animations too, either as advertising or in the game for pivotal points. I've destroyed the budget, but I'm not apologizing haha

A continuous mode would definitely be difficult since some of these games don't flow together at all, even ignoring the issue of when CD happens.

44 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

A continuous mode would definitely be difficult since some of these games don't flow together at all, even ignoring the issue of when CD happens.

That might require some creative writing for a transition or animated sequence  that's for sure. I've always put it before Sonic 2 personally, makes more sense he hatched the Little Planet scheme between his defeat at Scrap Brain Zone and before finalizing and launching the Death Egg in Sonic 2.

Wouldn't make much sense to have the Death Egg crash on Angel Island after the events of Sonic 2 and Eggman just leaving it there to pop off to enslave Little Planet before coming back for it.

I also refuse to put it after Sonic 3K just to tie into Sonic 4. I'm with the Mania elevator on that one, it doesn't exist :P

Sonic 2 flows into Sonic 3, and then Sonic & Knuckles fine with the Death Egg being the connecting material. The Japanese manual mentions "many days" passing between Angel Island falling and Sonic & Tails getting there, but Eggman has clearly been hard at work there for a while fixing his masterpiece.

Find a way to connect the original to CD and then CD to Sonic 2 and you are set.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Tenko said:

That might require some creative writing for a transition or animated sequence  that's for sure. I've always put it before Sonic 2 personally, makes more sense he hatched the Little Planet scheme between his defeat at Scrap Brain Zone and before finalizing and launching the Death Egg in Sonic 2.

Wouldn't make much sense to have the Death Egg crash on Angel Island after the events of Sonic 2 and Eggman just leaving it there to pop off to enslave Little Planet before coming back for it.

I also refuse to put it after Sonic 3K just to tie into Sonic 4. I'm with the Mania elevator on that one, it doesn't exist :P

Sonic 2 flows into Sonic 3, and then Sonic & Knuckles fine with the Death Egg being the connecting material. The Japanese manual mentions "many days" passing between Angel Island falling and Sonic & Tails getting there, but Eggman has clearly been hard at work there for a while fixing his masterpiece.

Find a way to connect the original to CD and then CD to Sonic 2 and you are set.

Agreed, it fits best there.

It doesn't make sense, despite that, that's how Archie did it for their final issue.

I don't think Sonic 4 says that Sonic CD occurs after Sonic And Knuckles. If anything it seems like it couldn't since there's a year between CD and Sonic 4, and Sonic 4 is set shortly after Sonic 3 And Knuckles.

42 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Agreed, it fits best there.

It doesn't make sense, despite that, that's how Archie did it for their final issue.

I don't think Sonic 4 says that Sonic CD occurs after Sonic And Knuckles. If anything it seems like it couldn't since there's a year between CD and Sonic 4, and Sonic 4 is set shortly after Sonic 3 And Knuckles.

Ah I see so it could still have happened at any point. There's nothing to even say it couldn't have been set prior to the original Sonic the Hedgehog.

Eggman and Sonic know of each other, but they do at the start of the original too.

I wonder if the upcoming Encyclo-speed-ia will shed some light on its placement in the series. Ian Flynn seems to have indicated there's some interesting things going on behind the scenes in regards to lore lately that he has been privy to, probably due to writing for that particular book. Even indicating people shouldn't worry about the "Two Worlds" thing anymore.

• Thumbs Up 2

Stop creating this game in your head, guys xD If the Colors remaster is anything to go by, we'd be in luck if the games even run properly.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Jango said:

Stop creating this game in your head, guys xD If the Colors remaster is anything to go by, we'd be in luck if the games even run properly.

It was fine as long as you didn't get the Switch version. The only significant issue I've had on XBONE is things taking a while to load.

• 1 month later...

Jeez, it's been five months since the last interview with any new information. I wonder if they will wait until after Xmas to start talking about it with how close we are getting to years end.

The later that news starts trickling out and thr later the release date is for this collection is telling for the new mainline title too, as they have stated this is releasing prior to Rangers or whatever it ends up being called.

Might end up being 2nd quarter for this and 3rd/4th quarter for Rangers if we don't start getting some kind of information soon.

I think most likely that Colors Ultimate is meant to be the big release this holiday and they don't want to distract from it. So I wouldn't expect anything about Origins until after Xmas.

But I imagine it would have to be a Q1 2022 release. I feel like the whole point is to tie in with the movie. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't get it ready and had to push it back.

• Thumbs Up 2

I mean, I'm no programmer/developer, but if Taxman/Stealth can build working native versions for all of the included titles then Sonic Team/M2 whoever shouldn't have trouble surely.

Could they use the previous versions as a base? The wide-screen work has pretty much been done for all except 3K previously, and even Taxman had that working pitch for that years ago.

Yes there's Covid and working from home a lot etc, but if it really is just wide-screen native versions with some extras the M2 version doesn't have, for just those five titles, I would be shocked if it was delayed. 

6 hours ago, Tenko said:

Might end up being 2nd quarter for this and 3rd/4th quarter for Rangers if we don't start getting some kind of information soon.

6 hours ago, Gloved Animal said:

But I imagine it would have to be a Q1 2022 release. I feel like the whole point is to tie in with the movie. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't get it ready and had to push it back.

It is confirmed to release prior to the movie, and I can't imagine it being difficult enough to cause any significant delays.

56 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

It is confirmed to release prior to the movie, and I can't imagine it being difficult enough to cause any significant delays.

That's a weird one because 95% of the interviews you find online when mentioning a release window it's translated and posted as it releasing before the new mainline title. Yet there are one or two pages seemingly using the same interview from June with much of the same information, which instead say it will be with us before the new movie.

Releasing before the movie would be a good move release pacing wise as that would mean sometime between Jan-March next year, since the movie hits in April and would be good use of the movie to presumably boost sales. I suppose it wouldn't be unheard of for a retro collection to get a trailer and dropped the next week if it's digital only. Do we know if it's getting a physical release yet?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/1/2021 at 7:03 AM, Tenko said:

That's a weird one because 95% of the interviews you find online when mentioning a release window it's translated and posted as it releasing before the new mainline title. Yet there are one or two pages seemingly using the same interview from June with much of the same information, which instead say it will be with us before the new movie.

Releasing before the movie would be a good move release pacing wise as that would mean sometime between Jan-March next year, since the movie hits in April and would be good use of the movie to presumably boost sales. I suppose it wouldn't be unheard of for a retro collection to get a trailer and dropped the next week if it's digital only. Do we know if it's getting a physical release yet?

Not as of yet but I wouldn't hold my breath if it's getting a physical release, hopefully in the next week or 2 we'll get information.

• Thumbs Up 1

• The title was changed to MT | Sonic Origins Collection - 2021/2022
  • The topic was pinned

Well, Zippo has made a nonsense post about Origins stating its "behind schedule" and an "unmitigated disaster". Which means we will likely get a full trailer next week with a February release date.

He's also making claims that Evening Star were meant to be developing it originally and it has been in planning for two years.

Would love someone from Evening Star to just come out and call bullsh*t on his bogus rumor mill.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Tenko said:

Well, Zippo has made a nonsense post about Origins stating its "behind schedule" and an "unmitigated disaster". Which means we will likely get a full trailer next week with a February release date.

He's also making claims that Evening Star were meant to be developing it originally and it has been in planning for two years.

Would love someone from Evening Star to just come out and call bullsh*t on his bogus rumor mill.

Yeah I'm highly skeptical of it being that hard to port Origins. Colors Ultimate had the excuse of it being outsourced, the Wii being difficult to work with, and code getting corrupted. With Origins, they already have every game except Sonic 3 & Knuckles already done.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

While I don't see Origins being the kind of title they would show at the Game Awards, I wouldn't think they would make us wait till SXSW in March for more info surely? With trademarks finally being placed perhaps an information shadow drop soon since it's likely considered a minor title? Might finally get a logo at least!

On 11/26/2021 at 6:54 AM, Tenko said:

While I don't see Origins being the kind of title they would show at the Game Awards, I wouldn't think they would make us wait till SXSW in March for more info surely? With trademarks finally being placed perhaps an information shadow drop soon since it's likely considered a minor title? Might finally get a logo at least!

Remember Izuka said that Origins comes before the movie so there is a chance of a trailer at the end of the year, and maybe a march release.

On 11/15/2021 at 5:06 AM, Zaysho said:

Zippo's bullshit isn't even worth taking with a grain of salt; just throw it out. Everything he says is bogus, based on something super obvious or otherwise known and steers right into obvious fandom wish fulfillment. And it's always suspiciously something that there wouldn't be any way to verify and his word just has to be taken as trustworthy (and he doesn't cooperate with verification anyway if you just look at his ban on Era... or here). Adventure remakes? Yeah, those were totally a thing and then Sega canceled them even though they were never announced (I will grant SoaH independently looked into this when debunking him and claim they might have existed in some form, but it sounds more like a thought a team had rather than a real project that got canned for no reason). Mania 2? It was totally happening and then Sega canceled it, and this information came to light the same month Evening Star announces an original project. And now he reveals another "canceled" project that got moved around? lol

"Oh he mentioned Colors Ultimate." After the studio and store leaks--this was even appended to his blog as an edit when he just speculated random legacy titles (Dimps games, for example) that haven't been released in forever--none of which are officially slated from what we do know. "He called the Frontiers name." After a supposedly (but probably legitimate going by trademark registrations) leaked portion of a focus testing survey was making rounds. When Nintendo announces a Mario Kart 9 (or whatever it'd be called), that's not going to be something anyone with common sense will attribute to the guy that saw a Mario Kart 8 tournament render once and said a new game was coming out.

Just ignore him. He isn't worth bringing up in these threads.

I agree, Zippo is just full of crap.

• Thumbs Up 2