Awoo.

Sonic Origins | MT | General Discussion

Ryannumber1gamer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

PSA: This topic is now exclusively for the general discussion of Sonic Origins.

Any new information or announcements surrounding this game (new patches, substantial comments from developers etc) need to be made in a new, separate topic.

I was wondering how everyone knew S3&K were just emulated, but then I looked again and, yeah, it’s 4:3 so it’s definitely emulated. I just don’t understand why these games seemingly will never get the proper treatment. Fans shouldn’t have to keep doing it themselves (3C and AIR).

Everyone please. I honestly don't think that they have shown ANY gameplay of the collection at all, as the bottom right 'original gameplay' implies. I think there is more to this, I could be wrong though, it's still SEGA after all.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, FReaK said:

Everyone please. I honestly don't think that they have shown ANY gameplay of the collection at all, as the bottom right 'original gameplay' implies. I think there is more to this, I could be wrong though, it's still SEGA after all.

If that was the case, that's SEGA's own fault then, they should've just held off on announcing it, or just announce and show only footage of Sonic 1 and 2 + CD, while implying more was to come. 

Putting emulated gameplay that gives the wrong impression of what the game has to offer will only put a horrid taste in everyone's mouths and make them less excited for the game. That's a failing on the promotion of the game, if S3&K is indeed getting a new version.

• Thumbs Up 8

I'm gonna buy this collection because I really want to play the StealthTax remasters on my PS4 & Switch. It will be awesome to finally play 3K on PS4 even if it's just a shitty emulation with the MJ tracks replaced with the beta music.

I guess there's a chance 3K will receive a full 16:9 widescreen remaster and SEGA are just keeping hush hush about it. 

YARN | [Quietly] Not bloody likely. | The Simpsons (1989) - S08E12 Comedy |  Video gifs by quotes | 545051b7 | 紗

1 minute ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

If this is gonna be proper 16:9 widescreen, then awesome!

Better not just be stretched widescreen, lol

I'll believe it when I see it, cause the trailer certainly didn't indicate it. Zoom, stretch and filters aren't widescreen either. 

EDIT: lol beaten to the punch twice

23 minutes ago, azoo said:

There is 10000% no reason to buy this collection in this day and age. Not a single one.

Errr if you want to only play the taxman versions of Sonic 1 and 2 on mobile only more power to you but I think this being their console debut is plenty reason on its own.

And hey look at that S3&K will be wide screen so there may be hope for this thing yet 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Jesus christ.

Great job shitting up the reveal of your own project, SEGA marketing team! Your fucking twitter community manager shouldn’t be having to clean your messes for you.

Still not even convinced that it won’t just be some garrish stretch-to-fit bullshit. Best to wait until someone from the Mania team or the Sega AGES crew say anything.

Just now, Soniman said:

Errr if you want to only play the taxman versions of Sonic 1 and 2 on mobile only more power to you but I think this bring their console debut is plenty reason on its own.

And hey look at that S3&K will be wide screen so there may be hope for this thing yet 

Fans just ported Sonic 1 and 2 to PC. Also Sonic 3 AIR exists.

Even with them possibly doing the widescreen after all, I don't have much reason to believe it's worth the money. But yall do you, I guess. I'll be playing this for freeeeee.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, azoo said:

Even with them possibly doing the widescreen after all, I don't have much reason to believe it's worth the money. But yall do you, I guess. I'll be playing this for freeeeee.

Thats a nasty way of pushing it. Piracy has always existed so just because you can sarcastically brag doesn't make your decision better.  

And technically, you paid for it a long time ago if you're using the steam version. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

5 minutes ago, azoo said:

Speaking only for myself, I have a gaming PC so I can play mouse and keyboard games. As great a port as Sonic 3 AIR is, for example, I don’t really want to play it on my PC because of many reasons specific to the PC environment and my living-room setup. Even just casting it to my TV isn’t an option for me either at this time. It is totally reasonable to want the widescreen ports on console even though PCs exist.

This collection can both be lackluster AND include things that people would like to own.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, azoo said:

Which you could say about a port of any old game that's made available that you don't wanna pay for? Like...yeah that is always gonna be an option no matter what so why care about this on principle if you were just gonna do that lol. Plus I specifically mentioned people who wanted to play it on their consoles anyway 

"Sonic 3 won't be in widescreen"

"It will, actually"

"No it won't you're lying"

• Thumbs Up 6

I want the good versions of Sonic 1, 2, and CD on Switch, and I will take any version of S3K because my Mega Collection has a weird glitch where doing the spindash murders the sound.

So in that regard, I will find this worth buying assuming it is adequately priced.

(Though for whatever dumb reason they still haven't actually announced platforms so for all we know it's a Vita exclusive or some shit).

That said, this is still a pretty boring, bog standard collection... still no Chaotix, and they can't even be assed to just do Mega Collection plus CD, leaving Spinball, Mean Bean, and 3D Blast in purgatory.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

"Sonic 3 won't be in widescreen"

"It will, actually"

"No it won't you're lying"

lol dont get me wrong I dont think Katie's lying. But I really need to see this for myself, because the trailer so clearly showed the remakes of S1, S2 and SCD with an emulated version of S3K. I wonder how they're going about S3K in widescreen if it's not being remade like the other games.

• Thumbs Up 7

I have the classics on tons of consoles, I could even play it on their original consoles if I wanted to. But I'm all in for having them on the modern consoles and if they look only a little bit like mania does in all it's widescreen glory then I'm more then willing to get this collection. I simply hope evening star is doing it, but not sure about that.

1 hour ago, N000 said:

The trailer mentioned "play like never before" and "original gameplay" was displayed on screen throughout so there's a chance there's more to this than we know. I'm hoping so at least because announcing this for NEXT year is otherwise ridiculous. If this is just quick ports and emulation this could be a quick and easy digital release next month for the anniversary birthday.

And even if it stayed as classic-only, there's the other mega drive, 8 bit, and 3D games from the 90s that could've been included. It's sad to see Sonic Mega Collection Plus still hasn't been topped.

It looks like it's just showing these pre-improvements for now. I'd imagine if they weren't going to make changes, they'd at least make it look consistent by stretching it or not putting the others in widescreen. If the Zippo leaks are to be believed at all, it seems like Sonic 3 & Knuckles was chosen to be put in only somewhat recently, so they're yet to make the necessary fixes, Besides, there'd be no point in going in and changing the music to avoid legal issues, but not making it look compatible with every other game in the collection 

No offense to fans of the games, but I'm not really disappointed we won't be seeing Tails' Skypatrol, Sonic Spinball, Sonic R, or any other average/bad side games in the collection, which seems like it's meant to (at least partially) help movie fans get into the series without being forced to hop on their iPhone and watch some ads during the game. In terms of quantity, Mega collection wins, but the quality of the  Whitehead ports make this a worthwhile purchase.

1 minute ago, CertifiedNobody said:

If the Zippo leaks are to be believed at all

They are not.

• Fist Bump 2
  • Too Many Rings 1

20 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I wonder how they're going about S3K in widescreen if it's not being remade like the other games.

Maybe they made a deal with Eukaryot to use his Sonic 3 AIR, lol.

Zippo did say this collection is being developed in-house and there are fans involved, so maybe Eukaryot, or Stealth, or Taxman are helping SEGA with it.

Or maybe Taxman is working on a Sonic 3 Remaster using the "Star" engine (which it's now called instead of the "Retro" engine). 

Just now, TheOcelot said:

Zippo did say this collection is being developed in-house and there are fans involved, so maybe Eukaryot, or Stealth, or Taxman are helping SEGA with it.

Zippo said many things, it's past time we stop caring about them.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Thats a nasty way of pushing it. Piracy has always existed so just because you can sarcastically brag doesn't make your decision better.  

Piracy has always existed. Nothing he said had anything to do with piracy. 

22 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Which you could say about a port of any old game that's made available that you don't wanna pay for? Like...yeah that is always gonna be an option no matter what so why care about this on principle if you were just gonna do that lol. Plus I specifically mentioned people who wanted to play it on their consoles anyway 

Sega releases a barebones collection, underwhelming nearly everyone and people still buy it and give Sega their money. That's all Sega cares about. What reason does Sega have to improve if people just keep throwing money at them for such lackluster products? They know you'll just buy it anyway, they don't need to do more with it or future collections. Just keep releasing Sonic 1-3&K every console generation and people will buy it, forget the dozens of other older Sonic games that people could want cause the bare minimum is enough to grantee sales even if people complain. Both console and PC owners should be getting way more out of this collection than what Sega is offering here. Even if I didn't have a computer of basically any price range from the year 1997 and up that could play these games, I would still be annoyed that this is all that we're getting. 

I guess it won't be such a big deal if the price for this collection is fair, but it'll probably be higher than it should. 

Well, only five games : SONIC MEGA COLLECTION and SONIC GEMS COLLECTION had many more games!!...
I wish at least CHAOTIX and SEGASONIC were included..