Awoo.

Sonic Origins | MT | General Discussion

Ryannumber1gamer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

PSA: This topic is now exclusively for the general discussion of Sonic Origins.

Any new information or announcements surrounding this game (new patches, substantial comments from developers etc) need to be made in a new, separate topic.

Well I'm glad we're getting the mobile ports of Sonic 1 and 2, and that 3&K will be widescreen, but I wish we would've gotten more than just the Genesis games. I would've liked to see stuff from Gems Collection thrown in there, as well.

I hope they add the drop-dash. Was included in the SEGA Ages releases of 1&2 and was in Forces. So bringing it to this collection seems like a no-brainer.

I keep thinking about those Megaman collections with the extra modes where you fight multiple bosses from different games at once. If they added a bunch of challenge content and other updates like that, I think that could help justify this game.

29 minutes ago, TheOcelot said:

I hope they add the drop-dash. Was included in the SEGA Ages releases of 1&2 and was in Forces. So bringing it to this collection seems like a no-brainer.

Drop dash in all of the games and Knuckles in SCD would be a great enhancement for sure. I won't hold my breath though.

• Thumbs Up 6

If they really are bringing 3&K to widescreen like the others, it has to be with the Retro Engine, right? By that point Taxman (and arguably Stealth, alongside the rest of Evening Star) would all but assuredly be involved. 

Hopefully we'll get some confirmation on the above; if true, my interest will definitely shoot way up. Taxman and Stealth had quite a few plans on what they wanted to do with their 2014 3&K remaster pitch, and I can't see them not going to waste if they're working on this collection. They might even be able to incorporate stuff that was scrapped from the other remasters, like the S2 boss rush levels and the "Final Fever" boss for Sonic CD.

54 minutes ago, Tornado said:

Piracy has always existed. Nothing he said had anything to do with piracy. 

I addressed both points, whether it was piracy or the steam port. The point is, just because he's playing it for "freeeeee" doesn't suddenly mean he's better off than us. Maybe he wasn't implying that, but I'm not sure how else to take that form of tone in a post.

Disappointing collection. At least offer something that the fans haven't already besides "you can play it on modern consoles!"

16 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

I addressed both points, whether it was piracy or the steam port. The point is, just because he's playing it for "freeeeee" doesn't suddenly mean he's better off than us. Maybe he wasn't implying that, but I'm not sure how else to take that form of tone in a post.

Actually, it does. Sorry. 🤷🏻‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Actually, it does. Sorry. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Well I can only speak for me. But considering what I use my PC for it's better just for me to not be playing on it. This is the best opportunity for me to enjoy the games in a convenient method that doesn't involve going through hoops and further distracting from my work life. I'm not saying he's worse off than me either because yeah, he'll be playing a version of the game that will be better feature wise, but definitely not as useful  or convenient for me. It's just a better way for him.

If it was, I would have gotten it already. Maybe that's hard to believe but yeah, PC isn't always the best option for someone to game. People wouldn't ask for a re-release of S3K otherwise if it were.

I'm not gonna deny any of the points that this collection should have been better. It should have. But that's something to take up with SEGA, not on the people buying this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Well I can only speak for me. But considering what I use my PC for it's better just for me to not be playing on it. This is the best opportunity for me to enjoy the games in a convenient method that doesn't involve going through hoops and further distracting from my work life. I'm not saying he's worse off than me either because yeah, he'll be playing a version of the game that will be better feature wise, but definitely not as useful  or convenient for me. It's just a better way for him.

If it was, I would have gotten it already. Maybe that's hard to believe but yeah, PC isn't always the best option for someone to game. People wouldn't ask for a re-release of S3K otherwise if it were.

I'm not gonna deny any of the points that this collection should have been better. It should have. But that's something to take up with SEGA, not on the people buying this.

I was kidding. Azoo didn't say he was better off than anybody else for playing the fan mods on PC.

I might pick this collection up after a price drop just to finally play the Sonic 1 and 2 Taxman ports, but yeah, this does sound pretty barebones. When Sonic Mega Collection Plus and Sonic Gems Collection set the bar so high more than fifteen years ago, you'd wish they would pull out more stops to make a new collection worth it. Like, enhancing S3&K on the level of the Sonic 1 and 2 mobile ports should have been the minimum.

I was surprised to see only Sonic 1-3K and CD announced in this collection, but maybe there will be more that we don't know about yet. I remember waaaaaaayyyy back in the day, the original announcement of Sonic Mega Collection on Gamecube was riddled with inaccuracies with its game list for most of its marketing/development cycle - and that information was largely from press releases that kept adding/changing details! So I imagine that, unless this collection is aiming to be a budget release, there may be some bonus games/extras that have yet to be revealed.

I'm with most people here, on the one hand it is a bit 'meh' to see the same four/five 16-bit games paraded around again, but two things balance that out for me. For one thing, I don't know if these are the StealthTax versions or if M2 are taking this project on, but widescreen updated versions of the original games is really quite interesting. If they're digging into the source code/reverse engineering like the mobile apps, we could see some interesting things like framerate fixes, dropdash inclusion and other things.

The other reason is that, I can't really be mad at something like this existing because the last major Sonic-focused collection that came out on consoles was Sonic Mega Collection Plus in the mid-2000s... that's a whole generation (of people, not consoles) ago. Kids these days should have an easy way to access the classics, they may never have played the old Sonic games and this is a great thing for accessibility in that sense.

I AM CURIOUS as to why the decision was made to include "emulated" footage of Sonic 3 & Knuckles in the announcement trailer when Katie confirmed it was going to be widescreen. It can't have been a mistake, that sort of thing would have been a conscious decision. Was it simply that the widescreen versions weren't ready to show yet, but SEGA urgently needed to illustrate that S3K was part of the package, so they made do? Or is it something else?

There's a lot of talk about the soundtrack to S3K, obviously, and how that's held up new re-releases of the game since like, 2008/9. I know that SEGA has been looking to remake the 'offending' music tracks in order to get S3K in a re-releasable, non-litigious state, and I imagine that would definitely be the case for a widescreen version of the game (as that might be considered a 'new product'), but I wonder if SEGA's legal team found a way around the problem of keeping the game (and music) intact as long as the game was not altered in any way?

This is me totally speculating/dreaming wild dreams, but I'd be jazzed if SEGA offered two versions of S3K - one in 'emulated' untouched form which kept the original music and everything, and a 'modernised' version ala StealthTax which had certain tracks remade alongside a bunch of other improvements.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1

My take? It's clear that if the widescreen editions of the 16-bit Sonic games are in tow, then either Stealth, Taxman or another OG developer is on the case here. If that's happening, then y'all darn well know they aren't going to just slap this together and ask for money. There will be new stuff included, drop-dash and all. In the press release and Sonic Central stream, it even says there'll be added content and features.

What are those features? I dunno. I can speculate, I can hope and I can dream, but that's neither here nor there. Y'know what a lot of us fans have wanted for the longest time since we got a remaster of Sonic CD ten years ago? All the classics remastered in a similar way... and here we are; even Sonic 3 and it's obvious soundtrack hurdles are here in one nice package. Yes, including the other Genesis hits (Mean Bean please) and the Game Gear titles would make sense, even as basic emulations, but the real meat and potatoes are front and center either way. 

Basically... don't worry. This compilation is in good hands, and will ensure that what may be the definitive versions of the core Classic series is preserved for another generation, maybe longer depending on how Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony handle backwards compatibility.

Been a loooong time since Mega Collection, broniks.

• Thumbs Up 5

I will say, even though the game sucks, it might have been nice to see a retro engine version of Knuckles Chaotix, just to complete the set. Tax and Stealth could probably make a lot of small alterations for that game to be more tolerable. Hope I'm surprised.

What content gets included on this collection will determine if it's worth it for me. 

Mega Collection had all of the Comic covers from that point in the series, as well as videos and teasers for upcoming stuff. Not expecting Sonic Jam levels of stuff, but at least Mega Collection. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess bundling issues of the comic with each new game would be one way to connect the IDW and SEGA universes.

They could include pages of the 30th anniversary issue. 

In terms of other extras, getting commercials and promo materials of these games when they released would also be  nice for the gallery. 

image.png.6a9035896ad1e9f16cb40e697d22b501.png Better yet, a fully-voiced motion comic with music and sound effects!

• My Emmerdoods 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

1 hour ago, Dreadknux said:

I AM CURIOUS as to why the decision was made to include "emulated" footage of Sonic 3 & Knuckles in the announcement trailer when Katie confirmed it was going to be widescreen. It can't have been a mistake, that sort of thing would have been a conscious decision. Was it simply that the widescreen versions weren't ready to show yet, but SEGA urgently needed to illustrate that S3K was part of the package, so they made do? Or is it something else?

Maybe the trailer was built entirely out of footage from previous releases, and not the new collection?  Sonics 1, 2, and CD get TaxStealth footage 'cause those versions actually exist, but 3&K doesn't because there is no better official release yet?

I was surprised not have got Knuckles Chaotix in this announcement. I think I had convinced myself that for the 30th anniversary they would free the game from the confines of its 25+ year 32X prison. 
I’ve NEVER played it. 

As for the the rest.......It’s all well and good but it does need to be the those updated versions if at all possible with all the bells and whistles such as playable Hidden Palace from Sonic 2 etc.............

Like a few folks have already said lets have some awesome unlockables and hidden extras like the 8-bit games, soundtracks, art, interviews. Make use of the massive storage Blu-Ray provides and just go to town. Make this collection worth while and special.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, G-Force said:

Maybe the trailer was built entirely out of footage from previous releases, and not the new collection?  Sonics 1, 2, and CD get TaxStealth footage 'cause those versions actually exist, but 3&K doesn't because there is no better official release yet?

Yeah, maybe. I guess it all depends on what the ‘Original Gameplay’ note means in the trailer. Does it mean “original gameplay taken from the new collection” or “gameplay taken from the original game releases”? I’d lean towards the latter (not really a fan of conspiracy theories) but it would be odd for SEGA to refer to a TaxStealth remaster as ‘original release’.

If all we are getting in the collection is Sonic, Sonic 2, Sonic CD, Sonic 3 & Knuckles that is pretty poor.

Sega put more games into their Mega Collections and Gems Collections as well as extras like videos/comic cover galleries etc.

Look at their Megadrive Collections on PS4/Switch/Xbox with 40+ games!

There is NO reason for Sega not to put at least 30-40 games in this collection like they do the Megadrive collections!

they could easily  put in all 12 Game Gear games, Sonic 3D, Sonic Spinball, Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine, Knuckles Chaotix, Sonic Fighters, Sonic R, SegaSonic Arcade Game and still have room on a Blu-Disc for other games like Sonic Advance 1-3, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 etc.

One thing of note, is that it was mentioned in a tweet that Sonic 3 would be 'widescreen', not an enhanced retro engine port.

By that logic, I can very well see this being a misunderstanding and that Sonic 3 is simply emulated but includes a video mode to distort it by stretching out. Until shown otherwise I don't see any reason to believe that it won't just be a ROM.

I think that assumes a lot of duplicity on the part of both Sega and their social media team. People know what widescreen means. The reason they said it would be in widescreen is because people kept asking "why isn't it in widescreen", not because it's actually not in widescreen. Nobody is leaving secret Easter eggs for you to reveal why their game sucks. I'm not saying it's a full-on retro engine remake, but the only way for it to not be widescreen the way everyone knows it should be is if Katie herself was lied to.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the gameplay footage was not from the new collection. I really hope we get widescreen for all the games in Sonic Origins.