Awoo.

Sonic Origins | MT | General Discussion

Ryannumber1gamer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

PSA: This topic is now exclusively for the general discussion of Sonic Origins.

Any new information or announcements surrounding this game (new patches, substantial comments from developers etc) need to be made in a new, separate topic.

On 5/27/2021 at 12:42 PM, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Well I can only speak for me. But considering what I use my PC for it's better just for me to not be playing on it. This is the best opportunity for me to enjoy the games in a convenient method that doesn't involve going through hoops and further distracting from my work life. I'm not saying he's worse off than me either because yeah, he'll be playing a version of the game that will be better feature wise, but definitely not as useful  or convenient for me. It's just a better way for him.

If it was, I would have gotten it already. Maybe that's hard to believe but yeah, PC isn't always the best option for someone to game. People wouldn't ask for a re-release of S3K otherwise if it were.

I'm not gonna deny any of the points that this collection should have been better. It should have. But that's something to take up with SEGA, not on the people buying this.

I never said I was better than console gamers. 

Also, the only inconvenience of the PC versions I brought up is that it's not on a console. Every game on that list can currently be played by even potato computers, and most modern controllers can be connected to your PC via Bluetooth. If you want these games just to have on a console, then sure go on ahead, but I don't see why the stance needs defending beyond that.

Anyways..

If this game collection featured bonus content, spiffy menus or a wide array of new features then maybe I can see the worth of me purchasing it, but otherwise there's no point in my eyes. But this collection's relevance kind of lost me on not including SA1/2 for the modern generation, let alone some of the more obscure spin-offs. And yes, while those are on PC too, they've been rereleased far less than the Genesis games, and are arguably as relevant to the series' identity. You'd imagine they wouldn't get shafted, and yet..

15 hours ago, Dreadknux said:

Yeah, maybe. I guess it all depends on what the ‘Original Gameplay’ note means in the trailer. Does it mean “original gameplay taken from the new collection” or “gameplay taken from the original game releases”? I’d lean towards the latter (not really a fan of conspiracy theories) but it would be odd for SEGA to refer to a TaxStealth remaster as ‘original release’.

I don't think it's odd. That's the gameplay as is is before being ported, aka the "original gameplay"

I'll be totally honest. On the face of whats been announced for this so far, its relatively uncompelling on the face value. I've already seen comments on social media from people that I don't think would possibly consider themselves massive fans commenting 'I've got way too many copies of this game already, don't need any more of these', I feel it was relatively foolish of SEGA to announce the product like this (unless generally speaking this is honestly all the game is, a basic compilation). But why release a compilation that seemingly doesn't appeal to the fans or the masses?

Again I could just be a dreamer here, but I feel there's more than meets the eye here. I feel if this was a simple port of these games, it wouldn't be releasing next year (though it could be a simple marketing decision, to get this compilation in store to coincide with the release of the 2nd movie). For me, whilst yes I do own many versions and compilations of these specific titles already, to get the taxman versions all ported and be able to play them on my TV, and to have Sonic 3 and Knuckles in widescreen for the first time, price dependant would probably make this a compelling purchase for me.

Again I can totally dream, but I'm thinking possibly some bigger scale additional features here (though possibly just something like the drop dash etc added to games). Could feature things maybe like, remastered soundtrack composition paired along the option of the original soundtrack (I know of course licensing with a lot of the music in these games is an issue though, especially Sonic 3). I'm also thinking with Sonic Rangers potentially being open world could we potentially see a small hub world attached to this compilation as a gateway in to the games (almost a spiritual successor to Sonic Jam). Of course I'm totally speculating, and its all wishful thinking, but I'm not writing off this as just a simple compilation just yet.

To quote the trailer:

"We're also excited to announce that we are working on a new compilation for next year that includes Sonic 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles and CD."

Up to debate, but to me, the way the trailer voice phrased it, those are just some of the games included in the collection. Pure speculation, I could be totally wrong, but to me the trailer is highlighting the bonafide classic games that will be in the collection. Could be wrong, we'll see.

Saying that though, really, considering the "Origins" title, which I would assume means a focus on Sonic's early days, I basically just want a definitive version of Mega Collection Plus and Gems Collection. Trying to keep my expections somewhat realistic, but to me, I think what I'd like this collection to be is basically every Sonic game released in the '90s (barring Sonic Adventure.) The 12 Game Gear games, Spinball, Mean Bean Machine, 3D Blast, R, that Fighters HD port that got released a while back. Even the more obscure stuff like that 3D educational game, that 3D section from Jam on the Saturn, sod it, shove in Sonic Shuffle while you're at it.

Really though, I think the big 3 additions that would easily draw in the Sonic fans to just rebuy games they already own would be to either to shove in Knuckles Chaotix, Sega Sonic the Hedgehog, and/or Sonic Pocket Adventure. Dig something up that has never been ported before. Chaotix could probably benefit from a proper remaster treatment (although at this point, I guess we'll be lucky if we get 3&K remastered). Sega Sonic... yeah, I imagine the hardest to port I guess but still, great marketing to tie-in with Mighty and Ray I think. Pocket Adventure is a nice little forgotten adventure that still looks good and I think would be easy to market.

Really, it would just be nice to have a definitive collection, that Sega can just continue to re-release for each new console for the rest of time. I really want something as high quality as Capcom's Mega Man compilations.

Also, I kindof hope that this compilation is succesful, this could lead to Sega doing a compilation of some more modern games. I know I've said it countless times, but really, I think porting the likes of the Advance trilogy, Rush dulogy, Rivals dulogy etc just seem like such an obvious move to me. People want 2D Sonic and some of these titles are going to hit 20 years old soon. That and please just re-release Free Riders without needing the Kinect and I can use a normal controller.

4 minutes ago, Silvereyes said:

....that includes Sonic 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles and CD."

This wording isn't nearly as vague as you think it is...

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

This wording isn't nearly as vague as you think it is...

Feel like you could interpret either way to be honest. Saying that though, I am being overly hopeful probably.

i sort of wonder if, because this was known ahead of time to be a very short revealing of Sonic 3 and S&K being in the collection, that is why they didn't show the actual build yet!   not showing it this one time now won't discourage anyone (unless they never watch any future trailers or check out gameplay videos after it is released!)

They will want to reveal that thoroughly and showcase it, as it would be in certain ways the newest and most significant part of this project, whether it is by Taxman or not!

I would think a different developer would also add some new features to be in line with the other included games, and definitely Taxman would, which, what could those be if so?? 

1 hour ago, Silvereyes said:

Feel like you could interpret either way to be honest. Saying that though, I am being overly hopeful probably.

The trailer literally shows off the main five games included, why would you think it has anything else?

Just now, Kuzu said:

The trailer literally shows off the main five games included, why would you think it has anything else?

I thought the way the trailer voice phrased it, it sounded like the five games were the main attraction, the selling point. Not just the whole thing. A compilation that includes those five games, but not limited to it. Again though, good chance I am wrong, reading too much into it. To be perfectly frank, I just like to write and speculate. I have no authority on this whatsoever.

They don't say it's only the classic quadrilogy, but it'd be weird to include more games and not say so. I think if it's really worth being skeptical about, we should just wait until we have more information on the game itself. Obviously there were some inaccuracies in the reveal, and since the game's coming out next year, plenty of things are subject to change, or at least further information. Having a big classic-era collection with Chaotix, 3D, R, Spinball, Mean Bean Machine and all the Game Gear games would be amazing, but it's also a longshot.

• Thumbs Up 1

I mean, I guess it’s worth buying if there’s really a Taxman version of 3&K. Like, as a fan. But this is seriously underwhelming. 

I do really hope there's a bit more. But I'm good with the essential 5. 

I've been asking for this for years.

Not understanding why Sega would go for ancient 4:3 versions over existing widescreen in late 2010's.

2022 will finally change this, and I'm preordering the heck out of this. Yes, I'm buying them again. 2 of them for the same system I already have them on.

But 1) I can't go back to regular versions now.

2) Hopefully they won't be cursed by input lag like the Classic Genesis Collection.

3) The mobile versions got ruined by Sega Forever, so this is basically the only way to enjoy them for me.

If there are only five games in SONIC ORIGINS, let's hope SEGA allows Christian Whitehead, after the triumph of SONIC MANIA (PLUS), to officially publish all his great refused additions such as Egg Gauntlet in SONIC 2, DESERT DAZZLE and his new final and ultimate boss in SONIC CD... and many new surprises that make SONIC fans' hearts beat faster!!...

Such a pity games like CHAOTIX and SEGASONIC are not included!!...

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Silvereyes said:

To quote the trailer:

"We're also excited to announce that we are working on a new compilation for next year that includes Sonic 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles and CD."

Up to debate, but to me, the way the trailer voice phrased it, those are just some of the games included in the collection. Pure speculation, I could be totally wrong, but to me the trailer is highlighting the bonafide classic games that will be in the collection. Could be wrong, we'll see.

I don't have it on hand right now but the japaneese SEGA twitter commented on Sonic Origins as "being a large collection of sonic games from the mega drive era including 1,2,3, K, CD".

Feels like there will be at least a couple of more games in there. Maybe they will elaborate further after Sonic Colors have been released. Market one game at a time.

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Drunk Michael Myers said:

I don't have it on hand right now but the japaneese SEGA twitter commented on Sonic Origins as "being a large collection of sonic games from the mega drive era including 1,2,3, K, CD".

Feels like there will be at least a couple of more games in there. Maybe they will elaborate further after Sonic Colors have been released. Market one game at a time.

You mean this tweet:

Translation:

A large collection of titles from the Mega Drive era, including Sonic "1", "2", "3", "Sonic & Knuckles", and "Sonic CD"!

If it was only a collection of 1, 2, CD & 3K it seems strange it's not releasing until 2022. I don't think it would take that long to finish-especially if they're using the StealthTax Remasters for 1, 2 & CD. So I do think more games will be included.

This tweet definitely implies Spinball, 3D Blast, Mean Bean Machine and maybe even Chaotix could be included. Hopefully SEGA will put some real effort into making this a special collection.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, King Conne said:

If there are only five games in SONIC ORIGINS, let's hope SEGA allows Christian Whitehead, after the triumph of SONIC MANIA (PLUS), to officially publish all his great refused additions such as Egg Gauntlet in SONIC 2, DESERT DAZZLE and his new final and ultimate boss in SONIC CD... and many new surprises that make SONIC fans' hearts beat faster!!...

Such a pity games like CHAOTIX and SEGASONIC are not included!!...

I can only imagine that they have Whitehead working on this and I genuenly believe that they will allow him to add features such as this. I was actually thinking what would be cool is like a Sonic Origins Endless mode, where they insert cutscenes linking all the levels together and alter the ending like they did for Sonic 2 mobile, that basically ties the continuity together of all the games more efficently and just puts all the games together (I know theres sprite differences etc, but it would be a cool idea) Again something like this and further additional features for these games,  IF the collection was just these games would frankly for me be more preferable than adding other games such as Chaotix, in my opinion. But yer like some other people here, I point blank refuse to believe this is simply just a straight port for these games. Considering the long wait there just has to be some big surprises for the fans along the way, otherwise I can't see why this would be announced so far before it's release window! 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, TheOcelot said:

You mean this tweet:

Translation:

If it was only a collection of 1, 2, CD & 3K it seems strange it's not releasing until 2022. I don't think it would take that long to finish-especially if they're using the StealthTax Remasters for 1, 2 & CD. So I do think more games will be included.

This tweet definitely implies Spinball, 3D Blast, Mean Bean Machine and maybe even Chaotix could be included. Hopefully SEGA will put some real effort into making this a special collection.

Yes, that's the one

I got the SEGA Ages releases on Switch of both Sonic 1 and 2 two months ago, I own Sonic 1 on Android (Taxman), Steam, Xbox360, GC, 3DS and I have the Taxman recompilation on PC, same for Sonic 2 and I don't like CD which I already own on 360 and Steam anyway.

Too little too late SEGA, I would've bought a 3D games collection day one on the other hand.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well let's hope they include more than just the Genesis trilogy + CD.

That's the bare minimum I needed to buy it.

Some extras could be:

3D Blast (DX option?), Mean Bean Machine, Spinball and maybe even Wacky Worlds?

Maybe another surprise could be Chaotix, though I can't picture them giving it a taxman treatment. 

But I'd be happier with all Master System and GG Sonic games.

As for extras, can't think of many atm but at least including Knuckles in CD and maybe Super Sonic.

One thing I'd like to see in the new compilation is an "Ashura mod"!!...
I know some people say he's just a "palette glitch" but he is so dear to me and many fans, being the legendary first Sonic fan character!!...

I've just watched a very recent video about him and I was very disappointed to learn that the Ashura thing "was reported to be fixed" in Christian Whitehead's mobile version of the game which will appear in SONIC ORIGINS!!...

And even if I'm in love with SONIC MANIA (PLUS), the lack of reference to Ashura in the game was one of my biggest deception because he means so much to "historical" fans!!...
So, if a little something could be made about Ashura in the new collection, I'd be more than happy...

Yeah, even listening back to the announcement trailer they do specifically say “a new compilation that includes S1, 2, 3K & CD”.

To be honest at this point I’d be highly surprised there wasn’t more. Considering in comparison that Sonic Classic Collection on NDS is missing only Sonic CD and both Mega Collection/Plus & Gems Collection from 3 console generations back have have more games - it would be Nintendo Heritage level of poor to leave it at just these 5 games, Taxman versions or not. 

Like others have mentioned, personally I expect anything and hopefully everything Sonic from the other past collections included including the spin-offs and 12 Master System / Game Gear games. 

Sonic R & Fighters would be appreciated, with Chaotix and SegaSonic as a sweet bonus (if unlikely).

But anything from the Adventure Series onwards? Well, SEGA would be smart to compile those 3D games into their own compilation IMO. 

I wonder if the collection will see a physical release. It'd definitely be nice, especially if the speculation is correct and the content included ends up being more substantial.

28 minutes ago, Stranger said:

I wonder if the collection will see a physical release. It'd definitely be nice, especially if the speculation is correct and the content included ends up being more substantial.

It was listed already by French retailer SoGamely (the same place that leaked Colours Ultimate), so it's quite possible.

6 hours ago, Stranger said:

Ooo, I dIdn't consider this - I just assumed that it would naturally get a physical version in general 🤔

7 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

It was listed already by French retailer SoGamely (the same place that leaked Colours Ultimate), so it's quite possible.

Good point! It might be a little shaky, but it's definitely a positive indicator to consider.

2 hours ago, Son-icka said:

Ooo, I dIdn't consider this - I just assumed that it would naturally get a physical version in general 🤔

I hope it does. I was anticipating a potential physical release of Mania after it was announced and held out for a little while after launch, but I couldn't resist grabbing the game despite not liking digital purchases. I think it might have been a few months later that a physical package was announced, which was the source of some light frustration. I'd prefer not to go through that again! 😋