Awoo.

Sonic Origins | MT | General Discussion

Ryannumber1gamer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

PSA: This topic is now exclusively for the general discussion of Sonic Origins.

Any new information or announcements surrounding this game (new patches, substantial comments from developers etc) need to be made in a new, separate topic.

Sega has a talented preservation team in house that can do this work. I'm 99% sure Taxman isn't involved, but I'm also not that worried about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Jango said:

Speaking of which, I assume Sonic CD's intro and outro will still be instrumental only or did SEGA actually repaired their issue with the singer?

SEGA does now own the rights to the vocals for You Can Do Anything & Cosmic Eternity (they actually bought the rights 10 years ago), so there's no reason why the vocals can't be added to a new release of CD.

• My Emmerdoods 1

6 minutes ago, TheOcelot said:

SEGA does now own the rights to the vocals for You Can Do Anything & Cosmic Eternity (they actually bought the rights 10 years ago), so there's no reason why the vocals can't be added to a new release of CD.

Fuck yes. We can finally do anything. *Plot twist* the rights expire this year.

28 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Sega has a talented preservation team in house that can do this work. I'm 99% sure Taxman isn't involved, but I'm also not that worried about it.

They do? 

• Absolutely 1

10 minutes ago, Jango said:

They do? 

Like..over half their current output is ports, emulations and rereleases. This is what they deal in now, lol.

If it's M2 handling the ports I think we are truly 100% alright. They do good work.

If you'd like something better, or at least honorable enough to the Taxman's work on the mobile ports, I'd recommend something else, but yar har fiddle dee dee and all that.

Will be awesome if Taxman/Evening Star are involved, but I actually kind of hope they aren't. Regardless as to whether SEGA is handling this in-house or working with a different developer, it would be interesting to see if someone else can produce new releases of the classic games on-par or even better than Stealth & Taxman.

23 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Like..over half their current output is ports, emulations and rereleases. This is what they deal in now, lol.

Really wish these guys had a saying in Generations and Forces then, because those classic physics mah man XD 

For me, thinking about this collection is just Hell.  I see what little they deigned to show of it.  I see what little they have to say about it.  And I see everyone's perfectly valid conclusions about how limited it seems to be.

And I still can't help but think of the potential.

I can't help but think of cool things that could be done with a collection like this.  I mean, five beloved games all potentially built on the same engine?  There's something to that, and I have to hold myself back from gushing about the things I think they could do.

"Maybe they'll put Knuckles in Sonic CD?"  NO.

"Maybe they'll finally make Amy playable?"  GO AWAY.

"Cross-compatibility with Sonic Mania?"  SHUT UP BRAIN.

It's so frustrating because it depends entirely on who's actually working on this.  If it's Evening Star, then yeah, maybe we could expect some cool shit like this.  But if it's anyone else?  No chance in Hell.  Taxman & Stealth proved themselves in this regard, and I just can't imagine anyone else would have nearly as many shits to give about this sort of thing.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Jango said:

Really wish these guys had a saying in Generations and Forces then, because those classic physics mah man XD 

Porting the games is a much different task from programming base in.

• Thumbs Up 2

I can't help but think there is more to this collection than meets the eye. The base work for Sonic, Sonic CD, and Sonic 2 has been done previously, with only Sonic 3K needing wide-screen treatment,  which Taxman had a running proof of concept for back in 2014, so one would think it shouldn't be that hard to do for a larger group of people. That Japanese article translation mentioned it being a "large" collection, which this isn't compared to previous Sonic collections, but that could be a mistranslation. The Sonic Central trailer mentioned playing these games "like never before", but that could just mean wide-screen on consoles. Plus Iizuka has mentioned content he can't talk about yet.

I just can't stop this nagging feeling there has to be more to it. If it's as simple as most think, you would assume it would have been pushed out this year right?

• Thumbs Up 3

13 minutes ago, Tenko said:

I can't help but think there is more to this collection than meets the eye. The base work for Sonic, Sonic CD, and Sonic 2 has been done previously, with only Sonic 3K needing wide-screen treatment,  which Taxman had a running proof of concept for back in 2014, so one would think it shouldn't be that hard to do for a larger group of people. That Japanese article translation mentioned it being a "large" collection, which this isn't compared to previous Sonic collections, but that could be a mistranslation. The Sonic Central trailer mentioned playing these games "like never before", but that could just mean wide-screen on consoles. Plus Iizuka has mentioned content he can't talk about yet.

I just can't stop this nagging feeling there has to be more to it. If it's as simple as most think, you would assume it would have been pushed out this year right?

There's definitely more going on than we know, but we'll just have to wait until after the Colors remaster drops to see the extent of this. Hopefully CD will get a level select screen for after you beat the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Tenko said:

I don't assume anything about Sega at this point other than to expect both the unexpected and disappointing. 

Like G-Force said earlier, the potential is there for some amazing possibilities, but the likelihood of them happening seems slim to none.

Let's say each game is not emulated like Iizuka stated, but re-written like they were for Sonic Jam. You could, in theory, do some wild things, like.. a continuous mode for example, joining each game via in game cutscenes like Sonic 3 did to bridge to Sonic & Knuckles when you added them together. You could add zone transitions to the older titles, fleshing out the "world" of the classic era like Christian Whitehead mentioned during development of Mania which didn't seem to come to full fruition. Do what the iOS/Android versions did and add Tails/Knuckles or due to their re-introduction and resurgence in popularity add Mighty/Ray. Add the option for Drop-Dash like M2 did on the Sega Ages Sonic titles on Switch.

My mind runs wild coming up with ideas for what I would love to see announced too. While I see some potentially coming to pass based on the previous recent versions, I don't see it being that ambitious in scope to have bigger changes made to the games.

Curious as to how the games in here will be presented. While I think the Taxman remakes would be cool, I doubt they'll be used since Sega wants to be sticking with the original source code (as well as the Taxman games, with the exception of CD, being made for mobile phones first and foremost). I feel like we'll get the "upgraded" switch ports of 1/2 (Where those widescreen? I can't recall) as well as the CD remake but with the menu screen trimmed down a bit.

Sonic 3&k is the interesting one to me. I wonder if they'll also include s2&k like they did in the DS collection from yesteryear, or if we'll see a widescreen port of s3&k with nothing else. I do find it slightly odd that we have no news on it except that:

-Not emulation, using original source code

-S3&K is widescreen

(As far as I know, if more has been leaked/revealed please let me know)

I doubt this will be a 2022 release. Even with the possibility of having to rework most of 3 to work with widescreen, surely that isn't enough work to cause any more time needed than say Colors Ultimate. But then again, I know jack squat about development so for all I know editing old genesis games is a lot more work than just touching up a Wii game.

Again regarding release date, its not necesserally got anything to do with development time. It could simply be allocating a release window to coincide with the release of the 2nd movie. Having worked in Retail, I know my store went all out to allocate space for as much Sonic Merchandise and games as we possibly could to increase sales during the initial cinema release of the film. Our store was fortunate enough to have the space to do so, but the likes of your big retailers like Walmart etc have a far bigger inventory of products to stock. Whats the best way to guarantee front facing shelf space of software during the theatrical release of the film? Well to release new software of course! Considering the characters featured in the 2nd movie also, releasing a compilation that can relistically feature those 3 characters on its cover art again makes perfect sense.

Of course I'm not at all trying to shoot down peoples wishes for lots of added features in to this compliation. Because I like most really do believe, that in the fact that these are not just straight up ports gives the perfect opportunity to add a lot of additional content and its certainly suggested that a lot of extra features will indeed be added. Just bare in mind the business practicalitys behind why this may be in a 2022 window regardless of development cycle.

On 6/29/2021 at 5:15 PM, Tenko said:

You know what would be easy to implement without actually producing more content, per se?

A continuous mode, where the games lead into each other seamlessly to form one long game? Or hey, how about a Zone Scrambler mode, where you just sit down and play these levels in random sequence across the 5 games? Maybe custom level playlists? Music selection? I dunno, they could definitely put some cool stuff into this without even drawing one new sprite. 

E99FC01D-8E8C-4C5E-9A0F-0AF7DA7AC098.thumb.jpeg.07deb1436445e7b50e4005c668ae7db5.jpeg

Take this with a grain of salt but apparently Taxman and Stealth are working on Sonic Origins and they want to include a Sonic Jam-esque hubworld?

Is anyone able to verify this? When people asked for a source the OP kept being a bit snarky saying "you'll find out eventually that I'm telling the truth 😏"

https://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/563089609

I'll say it again, but if CW and Team aren't working on or involved with Sonic Origin's in some capacity then it would be a damn shame. The definitive versions of Sonic 1 and 2 are on mobile right now and this fact alone needs to be rectified. 

I think Iizuka pretty much confirmed that Sonic Team is working on Origins. But that's how the sentence ends as of now. There's nothing saying that Sonic Team can't be working with Taxman and co. Why would SEGA hold such detail? I have no fucking idea. People nearly had a heart attack by just seeing Christian's LOGO during Mania's reveal... Confirming their involvement in the project from the beginning would've been a great marketing tool.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, BubbleButt TV said:

E99FC01D-8E8C-4C5E-9A0F-0AF7DA7AC098.thumb.jpeg.07deb1436445e7b50e4005c668ae7db5.jpeg

Take this with a grain of salt but apparently Taxman and Stealth are working on Sonic Origins and they want to include a Sonic Jam-esque hubworld?

Is anyone able to verify this? When people asked for a source the OP kept being a bit snarky saying "you'll find out eventually that I'm telling the truth 😏"

https://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/563089609

Assuming this was true, SEGA probably wouldn't want to make it because they already had Rangers, Origins, and Colors Ultimate on the way and didn't need a fourth project to focus on. Besides, they'd probably try to leave out the homing attack because it's supposed to be Classic Sonic, and I don't want to imagine trying to bop badniks in 3d without a homing attack.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just feel like we would know already if Taxman or Stealth were involved. I get wanting to put more attention on Colours Ultimate, but surely this is worth mentioning at least.

• Thumbs Up 1

Every now and then resentful people fabricate rumours libellous to a developer which has displeased them in some way - c.f. "low morale at GameFreak", et al. - and this looks for all the world like one of those, magicking up a dream game to get angry at SEGA for having denied us.  To be clear, I don't think the premise presented is necessarily unbelievable; but it would be foolish to credit it without evidence, and typing isn't evidence.

• Thumbs Up 6

Taxman and Stealth are not working on Sonic Origins as far as we know. That and the east vs west chatter wrt Sonic Mania are red flags. SOJ doesn't really have a reason to care where Sonic Mania came from because they still made money on it in the end. They talk up Sonic Mania in financial reports and we know most of the leader for Sonic is in America now anyway. There's no indication they're ashamed or don't want Americans in control of Sonic or anything like that.

• Thumbs Up 4

I stopped reading at "(oR mAyBeE dA s0otz R MAD aBoUT MANIA brrrrrrr)" because people who say this are always Sonic fans projecting their own disappointment with Forces being trash.

• Thumbs Up 6