Awoo.

Sonic Origins | MT | General Discussion

Ryannumber1gamer

CertifiedNobody
1 hour ago, Tenko said:

There have been native re-built ports for Sonic, Sonic 2 and Sonic CD in the past. But this will be the first native re-built version of Sonic 3K since Sonic Jam won't it? I think besides the games running as they should, and having a current hardware version of 3K available, my biggest draw is what Iizuka mentioned about the titles having features not in the Sega Ages versions on Switch.

They could just be including the content from the iOS/Android versions, since the Ages versions didn't have things like Hidden Palace which would be nice. Perhaps the Drop-Dash? What 3K content was left on the cutting room floor that they could tinker with, or would they perhaps add Mighty and Ray since Mania helped bring them back into the spotlight. 

There was one rebuilt port...

1 hour ago, CertifiedNobody said:

There was one rebuilt port...

How I wish that happened. We can hazard a guess as to why it didn't. What with the long standing music issues mentioned whenever Sonic 3 pops up. Besides the extended Blue Spheres we can only wonder what Taxman would have added to their version.

Blue Blood
3 hours ago, Tenko said:

How I wish that happened. We can hazard a guess as to why it didn't. What with the long standing music issues mentioned whenever Sonic 3 pops up. Besides the extended Blue Spheres we can only wonder what Taxman would have added to their version.

He had plans to create a handful of new, single act zones based upon the competition stages. That would have been a huge amount of work though, so I don't if he'd have been able to do all five of them. The vast majority of the assets for Hidden Palace in S2 already existed, whereas these would have had to have been entirely new. Plus SEGA may or may not have agreed to such a big addition. They already rejected Desert Dazzle in SCD because including it would have changed the game too much.

Frankly, I'm all for them adding to the Classics in any way that they can. All of them are readily available in their original forms as emulated ROMs already (except CD, which is about as faithful as a total remake could be), so why not go all out with enhancements and additions? Ensure that everything is optional and the original design is not changed, and it's all good. 

On 1/12/2022 at 10:22 PM, Blue Blood said:

and will go against Iizuka's own comments. 

Never seen that before.

Still, we got news that Frontiers was delayed to 2022 because of its quality, which is a great thing, but considering this is Sonic Team, that fact doesn't mean shit, honestly. 

I just keep wondering why we haven't got proper details on Sonic Origins yet. All we know is that it exists (and they swear it's not emulations), but it could be as barebones as it gets in terms of extra content as far as we know. That's just some terrible marketing. 

Silvereyes

If I had to guess, it might just boil down to Origins being a smaller game, made for less money, and presumably will retail at a budget price. Usually that means less marketing to go along with it. That and the biggest question about Origins is what games are in the collection, besides the featured 1, 2, 3&K, and CD. Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even know what will be contained within Origins when they made that first trailer. Hopefully the next trailer will show off the entire game and extras list. (I mean, assuming there are other games, but I'd be shocked if they didn't even include the Game Gear games.)

Wouldn't surprise that when the trailer drops, we get a release date and it isn't that long after that. It isn't going the same kindof elongated drip of information I'm sure Frontiers will get over 2022.

Blue Blood
1 hour ago, Jango said:

Never seen that before.

Still, we got news that Frontiers was delayed to 2022 because of its quality, which is a great thing, but considering this is Sonic Team, that fact doesn't mean shit, honestly. 

I just keep wondering why we haven't got proper details on Sonic Origins yet. All we know is that it exists (and they swear it's not emulations), but it could be as barebones as it gets in terms of extra content as far as we know. That's just some terrible marketing. 

Have a gander:

In an exclusive interview with The Sonic Stadium, Iizuka revealed that more work is going into Sonic Origins than fans might expect, when compared to past retro compilations such as Sonic Mega Collection and SEGA Mega Drive Ultimate Collection.

“I’m not able to speak to the product details yet, but I can tell you that this will not be a compilation title running off emulation. We are planning on supporting a 16:9 full screen game for ease of play. For anyone that hasn’t played any of those original games, Sonic Origins will be perfect for you.”

It strikes me as odd that it's been over half a year since this compilation of old titles announced, without any footage and not even a logo. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that development on the project had barely even started by the time that it was announced. 

5 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that development on the project had barely even started by the time that it was announced. 

I'm sure it wasn't even 0,1% done at the time it was announced. It felt like SEGA heard that's something the fanbase wanted / theorized and said: "-Fuck it, put that on the presentation, we'll figure it later how to do it".

Well not that there was reason to doubt it was still being worked on, or we would get info at some point. But Katie has mentioned that it's still chugging along, and they still can't talk about it yet.

• Thumbs Up 2