Jump to content
Awoo.

Sonic Origins | MT | General Discussion


Ryannumber1Scarer
 Share

Message added by Dreadknux,

 

PSA: This topic is now exclusively for the general discussion of Sonic Origins.

Any new information or announcements surrounding this game (new patches, substantial comments from developers etc) need to be made in a new, separate topic.

 

Recommended Posts

I think it's pretty insane that we're this long into the "hype cycle" (can you even call it that?) and still basically don't know a darn thing about the game. Pacman Museum Plus got announced in November (with a full trailer full of gameplay and showcasing the extras!) and just got its launch date reveiled for May. The fact that Origins still hasn't even a lick of ingame gameplay, a mere press release about its contents and extras or even a logo in a timeframe that's almost double that time is mind-boggling. I get that it was the 30th anniversary and they wanted to fill their announcement show with content, but c'mon.

The worst part is that my expectations are starting to rise. The most logical answer to this whole situation is "They barely even started when they announced the thing", but if that's really just it (and I believe it is), I can't help but be disappointed? My mind is already building a collection that is filled with classic content: Sonic R, 3D Blast Saturn/PC, Fighters, heck, re-releases of the 8bit Sonic games (even if they're just emulated) and even though i know it's unlikely as heck, the waiting time being so long for mere 5 games, with some of them already easily playable on modern hardware, just makes part of me think "That can't be the only games in there, right?".  I see a lot of people already dreaming up similar scenarios, and it sucks to think there's a pretty good chance we'll all be disappointed. Other collections are so filled with lots/rare games (the previously mentioned Pacman Museum has like 15 games) or effort that, if this is really just the taxman versions of the classics in a menu, it will feel like a pretty big let-down for me.

All I wanna see right now is something, anything, that makes me go "Ah, I see why they took this long" - but I'm afraid all I'm not gonna get that. Please prove me wrong, Sega.

  • Thumbs Up 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been curious too, since we haven't heard anything since the initial reveal, and when I looked it up, the Wikipedia article mentioned that the game was in VERY early development when they announced it. That, plus the pandemic, among everything else, is bound to put a hamper on progress.

I really hope there's more than just the four games, personally. Whether it's more games, or some sort of unlockable bonuses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Thigolf said:

I think it's pretty insane that we're this long into the "hype cycle" (can you even call it that?) and still basically don't know a darn thing about the game. Pacman Museum Plus got announced in November (with a full trailer full of gameplay and showcasing the extras!) and just got its launch date reveiled for May. The fact that Origins still hasn't even a lick of ingame gameplay, a mere press release about its contents and extras or even a logo in a timeframe that's almost double that time is mind-boggling. I get that it was the 30th anniversary and they wanted to fill their announcement show with content, but c'mon.

The worst part is that my expectations are starting to rise. The most logical answer to this whole situation is "They barely even started when they announced the thing", but if that's really just it (and I believe it is), I can't help but be disappointed? My mind is already building a collection that is filled with classic content: Sonic R, 3D Blast Saturn/PC, Fighters, heck, re-releases of the 8bit Sonic games (even if they're just emulated) and even though i know it's unlikely as heck, the waiting time being so long for mere 5 games, with some of them already easily playable on modern hardware, just makes part of me think "That can't be the only games in there, right?".  I see a lot of people already dreaming up similar scenarios, and it sucks to think there's a pretty good chance we'll all be disappointed. Other collections are so filled with lots/rare games (the previously mentioned Pacman Museum has like 15 games) or effort that, if this is really just the taxman versions of the classics in a menu, it will feel like a pretty big let-down for me.

All I wanna see right now is something, anything, that makes me go "Ah, I see why they took this long" - but I'm afraid all I'm not gonna get that. Please prove me wrong, Sega.

In my opinion, when they decided to postponed Sonic Frontiers to the late 2022, they needed to change their whole marketing strategy and had to postpone Sonic Origins, too. I don't think this game is going to come out any time soon.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, VRiderCh said:

I really hope there's more than just the four games, personally. Whether it's more games, or some sort of unlockable bonuses.

Your in luck then, there's five games in it!

Seriously tho as you say, even if it is just those five that were announced, if its not at least as good as Sonic Jam I will be quite disappointed. It's been 25 years since Jam and they still haven't managed to release a collection that has a comparable amount of special extras and bonus content. More games sure, but nothing has held a candle to Sonic World or the content in that amazing little 3D environment.

I want more ads, concept artwork, manuals, character portfolios, music, an updated history hall any day over having "The Ooze" in my Sonic collection again. (Ristar can stay tho)

  • Thumbs Up 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm hopeful that after Origins, they'll make a collection of remastered Advance games. I'd rather actually own the games than have to emulate, and in a remaster they could change that eye-straining flicker effect on the shields.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

I'm hopeful that after Origins, they'll make a collection of remastered Advance games. I'd rather actually own the games than have to emulate, and in a remaster they could change that eye-straining flicker effect on the shields.

Realistically, they could do either that or make extension packs to Sonic origins for games beyond the Sega Genesis era. Hell, they could do a potential Sonic Origins re-release in the future if DLC happens. Sonic's ULTIMATE Origins? I dunno, just spit-ballin' here.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think people have been spoilt, and not unreasonably so, with collections from other companies in recent years.

The Castlevania Anniversary Collection just as a more in depth example had 8 games, one being a previously Japanese only title. Display options, border settings, achievements, a digital booklet with information on the titles, interviews, sketches and unseen documents etc, they even added Japanese versions of the games included. Followed later by the Advance Collection which also had a lot of people excited.

Square did similar with the Collection of Mana, and Collection of Saga. As well as the aforementioned Pac-Man Museum Plus from Namco. Capcom's Megaman Legacy Collections and Street Fighter 30th etc

What I'm getting at is most of these collected most, if not all the releases in chronological order (minus MSX/PC Engine) titles in each series, generally completing the 8bit and 16bit releases up to the PSX generation of games, which many assume may come collected at a later date.

Sega releasing a collection with only the main series Mega Drive titles plus CD when we are seeing releases as mentioned wouldn't earn much praise. Unless said titles have been remastered/remade in Mania style or something equally impressive there would probably be a lot of people wondering why in this day and age, with disc/cart/digital being able to handle sizable collections and other companies doing decent sized ones themselves, why the Master System/Game Gear titles, the other Mega Drive spin-offs, heck even Knuckles Chaotix aren't on there at least.

It will be interesting to see what actually gets announced or shows up in the trailer when we eventually get one.

  • Thumbs Up 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Can you imagine if it comes out with Sonic 4 included?

 

lol

Since Christian Whitehead and Headcannon are doing their own thing, if PagodaWest and Hyperkinetic Studios could Mania that thing into an actual Mega Drive looking title, fix it, and maybe even finish it off with the missing final chapter, I wouldn't be too adverse to that idea.

  • Thumbs Up 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Tenko said:

Since Christian Whitehead and Headcannon are doing their own thing, if PagodaWest and Hyperkinetic Studios could Mania that thing into an actual Mega Drive looking title, fix it, and maybe even finish it off with the missing final chapter, I wouldn't be too adverse to that idea.

That's my personal wish too. I only got to play Episode I since I only had a Wii, but Episode II was better, right? I'd love to see it done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, VRiderCh said:

 but Episode II was better, right? I'd love to see it done.

Thats an extremely low bar to clear. But over time the Sonic 4 label just became so toxic that it wasn't worth continuing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, VRiderCh said:

That's my personal wish too. I only got to play Episode I since I only had a Wii, but Episode II was better, right? I'd love to see it done.

Episode Metal is the best IMO. the wonky physics can be somewhat justified due to not actually playing as Sonic.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Episode Metal is the best IMO. the wonky physics can be somewhat justified due to not actually playing as Sonic.

This is a poor way of looking at the situation and suggests finding excuses rather than expecting better. 

  • Thumbs Up 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, VRiderCh said:

Episode II was better, right?

The graphical polish and extra care given was certainly much better, the levels while not entirely original were better, the music while not fantastic was better. Metal Sonic's theme while short and repetitive was catchy and probably the best thing to come out of the whole ordeal, his White Park boss fight was pretty fun too.

So I would say yes, Episode II was better, but as others have said it wasn't hard to be better than the first episode.

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

This is a poor way of looking at the situation and suggests finding excuses rather than expecting better. 

No, it's just saying the one with an excuse is slightly better than the one without.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I actually though something happened, but it's just you guys wanting to put Sonic 4 into this? This collection might as well be a fever dream after all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would make far more sense to add Mania to the Origins collection since it plays exactly like the classic games whereas Sonic 4 plays like complete ass in comparison.

  • Thumbs Up 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, TheOcelot said:

Would make far more sense to add Mania to the Origins collection since it plays exactly like the classic games whereas Sonic 4 plays like complete ass in comparison.

It wouldn't since Mania is already available on everything for the price of Origins already. I'm still in favor of Advance as the best choice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

It wouldn't since Mania is already available on everything for the price of Origins already. I'm still in favor of Advance as the best choice. 

The only games that make sense in the origins collection are the games surrounding the origins of the series. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

The only games that make sense in the origins collection are the games surrounding the origins of the series. 

Then it should be Chaotix or the Game Gear games and this debate is pointless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Then it should be Chaotix or the Game Gear games and this debate is pointless.

Which is why you continue to engage in it and directly started it by saying a game made way after the classics and hardly feel like them should be included, right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Which is why you continue to engage in it and directly started it by saying a game made way after the classics and hardly feel like them should be included, right?

I didn't really factor in the name and just went with what would be the most enjoyable and worthwhile.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.