Awoo.

Sonic Origins | MT | General Discussion

Ryannumber1gamer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

PSA: This topic is now exclusively for the general discussion of Sonic Origins.

Any new information or announcements surrounding this game (new patches, substantial comments from developers etc) need to be made in a new, separate topic.

Fuck it, we have virtually nothing about this game so I'm gonna pull an unrealistic wild card.

I think Sonic Origins should pull a PSX Namco Museum and release in volumes. 

Hear me out. It would open up an opportunity to re-release a giant handful of rare Sonic gems and games that are forgotten, alongside games that have fans have been asking for ports of for years (Hi, Unleashed fans). Here's how I think it should go, if such a thing ever happens.

Volume 1 - The Classics (Sonic 1, Sonic CD, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles)

Volume 2 - The Oddballs (Sonic Spinball, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, Knuckles' Chaotix, Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic R, Sonic the Fighters)

Volume 3 - 8-Bit Classics (Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Drift, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Triple Trouble, Tails' Sky Patrol)

Volume 4 - The Ones Hardly Anyone Wants (Sonic Blast, Sonic Labyrinth, Sonic Jam (Game.Com), Sonic Spinball (Game Gear), Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (Game Gear))

Am I desperate? Absolutely, info has been insanely dry and I'm getting my expectations way too high please help me. BUT...I guess this would be cool?? Covers most of Sonic's classic career and has obscure games. 

• Too Many Rings 1

idk i'm just waiting for the day that the Advance games get a re-release at this point

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, BubbleButt TV said:

idk i'm just waiting for the day that the Advance games get a re-release at this point

I'm just waiting for the day that any games other than the classic trilogy and made before 2010 get a re-release at this point.

I want to play Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Triple Trouble on my Switch lite, dammit!

Why do you hate money, SEGA?

• Thumbs Up 2

You know, I am hoping some of the music is Sonic Jam like. I would basically like to hear something like these.

This is all good stuff to me. It may have a low chance of happening, but I would love to hear music like this in Sonic Origins.

Well if we're hoping to see things from Sonic Jam return, in particular things that will not happen, I'd like to see the 3D world return. They could use the Frontiers engine for it, similar to the way Jam's 3D world was built with a prototype of Adventure.

• Thumbs Up 3

40 minutes ago, Cosmos Rogue said:

Well if we're hoping to see things from Sonic Jam return, in particular things that will not happen, I'd like to see the 3D world return. They could use the Frontiers engine for it, similar to the way Jam's 3D world was built with a prototype of Adventure.

As much as I know that won't happen, I would love to see that, along with museums and galleries like in Sonic World in Sonic Jam! I would also love to see the museum section having new, updated stuff to show.

• Thumbs Up 1

In terms of extra content, just gimme some concept art, trailers, or hell, even original versions of some songs to listen to. I'm not really playing this for extras, just the games (....okay, just for Sonic 3 and Knuckles) so I'm not really picky.

• Thumbs Up 2

If that new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Cowabunga Collection thry just announced can collect all 13 titles from across the 8-bit and 16-bit console releases into one package, release physically and cost $39.99 US, then I stand by my previous comments even more. Sonic Origins either needs one hell of a remaster or it needs to include all the 8-bit and 16-bit series entries to be worth a decent asking price. Comparisons will be made to other recent collections, this especially since it will be one of the most recent ones.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • My Emmerdoods 1
  • Absolutely 1

I'm loving this. Just like when TSR got completely obliterated by its own severe lack of content next to CTR Nitro-Fueled. SEGA needs to up their game for good. If they truly just release the Taxman versions of Sonic 1/2/CD and their own God-knows-how-it-will-be version of Sonic 3K and call it a day, they're out of their minds.

• Thumbs Up 6

My current opinion is that this collection is not worth buying at all.

The excuse I've heard that some consoles don't have access to these few games does not justify how piss poor of a collection this is. There are so many Sonic games that can't be played on anything past the Gamecube, and quite a few that aren't playable outside of the original hardware they were released on. This collection is a joke when compared to both past Sonic/Sega collections and even other franchises that are stuffing far more games into their modern collections.

People gave Super Mario 3D All Stars a lot of shit, and for understandable reasons, but you know what that collection had? Two 3D games that we never re-released up until that point, Sunshine and Galaxy. Sonic Origins does not have any 3D games, nor does it have any games that have never seen a re-release. Even that mediocre collection is better than Origins in some regards. 

The main reason why It's frustrating is because Sega probably will not tackle the idea of another collection for a long time after this, so to think that this is all we get is lame. It wouldn't be a big deal if more was coming along the way, but my Sega Senses are telling me that this is it. 

Unless Sega proves that they are planning to add some really creative elements or twists to these games or the collection in general, or that they're planning to add more games, this collection sucks. I don't want just a few extra, some concept art that I've probably already seen before in collections 15+ years older than Origins isn't enough to buy it. 

• Thumbs Up 6

33 minutes ago, Jango said:

I'm loving this. Just like when TSR got completely obliterated by its own severe lack of content next to CTR Nitro-Fueled. SEGA needs to up their game for good. If they truly just release the Taxman versions of Sonic 1/2/CD and their own God-knows-how-it-will-be version of Sonic 3K and call it a day, they're out of their minds.

TBH when they have a movie, a massive open world game, and a Netflix series all coming in the same year, I can understand why it's not that high on their list of priorities.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/3/2022 at 10:52 AM, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

I think Sonic Origins should pull a PSX Namco Museum and release in volumes. 

I think Sonic Origins should pull a PSX Namco Museum and have a sick ass dreamlike low poly environment to explore.

• Thumbs Up 4

It seems oddly fitting for Sonic to have such a lackluster anniversary collection when other franchises are getting better collections releasing in the same year. I know it's early to say this, but c'mon...what else can I say? There's nothing to prove that it won't be this way.

At least Sonic wasn't the first to disappoint this time. Looking at YOU, Mario.

5 minutes ago, Natie said:

I think Sonic Origins should pull a PSX Namco Museum and have a sick ass dreamlike low poly environment to explore.

I'd love that. I adore the low poly style, and want to see more games utilize it.

• Thumbs Up 4

4 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

TBH when they have a movie, a massive open world game, and a Netflix series all coming in the same year, I can understand why it's not that high on their list of priorities.

But... this is the exact reason why they should give a fuck. The first time Sonic's gotten the attention he's had since the first movie (which didn't have a game to coincide with it whatsoever), and game-wise this is the most attention he's had since Mania. That's... FIVE years ago. There's no reason why they can't make this great when it's the easiest thing to create out of everything you listed. All eyes are on Sonic, and after being quiet for so long they should be giving it their A game.

Why should the consumer suffer just because they waited literally five years to do everything all at once? If they were going to wait half a decade just for something to be low on their priority list then that's inexcusable.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, Muglés said:

But... this is the exact reason why they should give a fuck. The first time Sonic's gotten the attention he's had since the first movie (which didn't have a game to coincide with it whatsoever), and game-wise this is the most attention he's had since Mania. That's... FIVE years ago. There's no reason why they can't make this great when it's the easiest thing to create out of everything you listed. All eyes are on Sonic, and after being quiet for so long they should be giving it their A game.

Exactly! Like I said a while ago, ride those coat-tails! As CertifiedNobody said there's a movie coming out, a Netflix series, and a big new game that's actually gotten some attention. It's the perfect time to score new fans and the best time to be shilling a collection and advertising the heck out of it. Get the little impressionable ones parents cash money!!

Love the Sonic 2 movie/Sonic Prime/Frontiers, come back with us to the radical 90's to see where Sonic's adventures all began, and all in one big collection!! <insert SMS/GG/MD/CD gameplay and extra stuff here, throw in that low poly world you all been mentioning I want some of that too>

Done. Make bank. Writes itself. It can't be that hard. Konami of all companies, that's right the Pachinko machine people, just did it for the Turtles. Watching that trailer I was wondering, is this just them riding the popularity and positivity around the recent Shredder's Revenge game media all to get people to buy another product, maybe. Has it worked? Definitely. I think I saw more people talking about that today than the other games in the Playstation State of Play, tho that could just be because of the people I follow haha.

• Thumbs Up 4

It'd be nice if they added art galleries and comics like Mega Collection way back in the day

It's still alive. If that's worth anything ignoring the silence that has been going on for almost ten months

• Thumbs Up 2

Feel bad for Katie, it's not her fault the marketing people seem to have completely forgotten about Origins. Incredibly funny that the compilation of 4-games from ~30 years ago currently has a vaguer release date than the next big Sonic game. Probably wishful thinking but maybe they realized regardless of what aspect ratio the games are in, these are still the same games that have been available on countless platforms and are overhauling the collection to be a bit less boring? Would be nice but I'm not expecting much.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/10/2022 at 2:59 AM, Jango said:

TBH I want the Taxman versions of those games, plus S3&K remastered (with quality and new music?). I don't think realistically they will add a lot more, too.

I would LOVE extra features, I just don't really expect them. Hypothetically:

Challenge Mode (missions, special kinds of achievements)

Mighty, Ray, Metal Sonic as playable.

Online play with competition races

Gallery with concept art, sound test

The latter is tricky, how would they even implement online, what game, what stages, I remember Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 had very limited multiplayer, they could try to expand on that maybe, knowing their laziness, I doubt it.

Other companies have done a good job keeping fans updated to the progress on their projects even with the pandemic, but as always SEGA makes the simple process of getting on camera or hell, just say what's up using text via a blogpost/tweet/whatever the hardest thing in the universe.

Why is it so hard for Iizuka or Ivo to get on camera and say this? :

Or hell, if him getting off his ass and take 5 minutes off his time to film something, why not do what Yoshi-P did:

FHlsQwaaIAEb8fJ?format=jpg&name=large

See? It's so simple. See the reason this bothers me so much is that it makes it seem like they just don't care. "Eh, you'll get it when you'll get it and you'll like it".

If you can't be bothered to even say literally anything to your customers then why should we even care or support your product since all you make us feel is apathy?

So what type of OST gonna be re-implemented to Sonic Origins self included Sonic the Hedgehog 3? Sonic & Knuckles PC Collection,Sonic 3 Prototype earlier Sega Mega Drive/Genesis hardware digital build or rather final build possibly composed by Michael Jackson himself despite infamous,controversies surronding himself in his post-mortem private life career?

12 hours ago, Red Hot Jack said:

Mighty, Ray, Metal Sonic as playable.

I hate to be expecting anything when the chances of being let down are usually pretty high, but I am expecting this at the very least, perhaps not Metal Sonic but Mighty and Ray for sure.

They make the most sense to be added since not only were they well received in Mania, but they were both around at the time of each games events. Heck they make more sense than Knuckles in Sonic and Sonic 2!

Only issue would be making their special skill sets useful in the levels, perhaps finding a way to let Mighty access Knuckles areas and Ray access the ones Tails can reach? Would need retooling for sure tho, as Knuckles punches through horizontally where as Mighty dives vertically, and some of Tails areas are quite thin and vertical which wouldn't let Ray get the height he needs.

They said more extras and features than the current M2 3DS/Switch releases so bare minimum we would likely see the Drop Dash added, some form of Time Attack Mode, perhaps an online or multiplayer Competition Mode like in Mania, a Sound Test and in CD's case soundtrack select I imagine. One would hope there would be more than that based on other collections by other publishers but with Sega, who knows.

On 3/9/2022 at 9:29 PM, McGroose said:

My current opinion is that this collection is not worth buying at all.

Even that mediocre collection is better than Origins in some regards.

Unless Sega proves that they are planning to add some really creative elements or twists to these games or the collection in general, or that they're planning to add more games, this collection sucks. I don't want just a few extra, some concept art that I've probably already seen before in collections 15+ years older than Origins isn't enough to buy it. 

The game isn't out yet, how can you say any of this like it's a definitive fact?

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, VRiderCh said:

The game isn't out yet, how can you say any of this like it's a definitive fact?

Dude he literally said "Unless Sega proves that they are planning to add some really creative elements or twists to these games or the collection in general, or that they're planning to add more games"...

You even have that in your quotiong of McGroose, read people's arguments properly.