Awoo.

Sonic Origins | MT | General Discussion

Ryannumber1gamer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

PSA: This topic is now exclusively for the general discussion of Sonic Origins.

Any new information or announcements surrounding this game (new patches, substantial comments from developers etc) need to be made in a new, separate topic.

So is sega's new marketing strategy to just pretend the sonic games they announced dont exsist 

• Thumbs Up 3

I wouldn't say the marketing is that bad. Not really the best, but there have been worse. Whatever the case, though, maybe it is not a good idea to use such a marketing strategy when the games of a series are not at their best to the point many are disappointed, and a lot are upset because of it? I mean, clearly with how many people aren't happy with the latest games, Sega's current marketing strategy is not suitable for this situation, and may need to change?

17 minutes ago, Natie said:

So is sega's new marketing strategy to just pretend the sonic games they announced dont exsist 

I guess so. Either that or their afraid to give information about their Sonic games.

You know you have fallen off the radar entirely when even 4Chan and Reddit and the likes can't be bothered making rumors and fake posts about it.

Hell even Zippo has given up, which is a blessing in disguise! 😂

• Thumbs Up 9

8 hours ago, Diogenes said:

just a collection of old games, most of which have been rereleased like a dozen times already.

See, now, that's my issue with it. If SEGA really don't wanna earn this, then they won't gonna earn this. Most publishers have released collections of their classic games dozen of times too, but save a few exceptions, they usually have a ton of cool modern features and extras to go with it, not just a menu and the games. If SEGA don't wanna build hype because this collection is as barebones and short in extras as we think, than no one should care indeed. There's already a few other retro collections coming out this year aswell. It'll be just like TSR. SEGA is sleeping.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Natie said:

They announced them so early they had nothing to show, and apparently they still have nothing to show. This was because people were tired of the lack of news.

So instead of saying "promote your games, SEGA", I would tell them "work on the games, SEGA".

• Thumbs Up 4

The game is not going to come out without any sort of promotional campaign. Probably, when they have a proper release date, they will start showing gameplay and releasing trailers. I don't think it's possible to judge a marketing campaign that has barely even started. However, I'm not hyped for Sonic Origins because classic 2D Sonic is fine. I'm more interested in Sonic Frontiers because it's the side of the franchise that needs to be good.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

What @light-gaia said

It's foolish to mock or bemoan the hype cycle of a game that doesn't even have a release date yet. 

Yes, they clearly put their foot in the door by announcing it, but if their timetable for actually releasing this game is 5 or 6 months out (or more) then there is no need to even mention it. They can't take preorders this far out and even if there are new features that make this a collection worth investing in, there certainly isn't 6 months of material to tease. 

Are we so entitled that we need updates about a collection of games we all already have 4 times over anyway?

The lack of marketing is a non issue. The real question people should be pondering is what kind of dev hell is this thing in for something that most of us assume would be a slam dunk. 

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Fist Bump 1

I'm firmly in the "I don't care until you show me something" camp. As far as I'm concerned, this game doesn't exist at the moment. 

• Thumbs Up 8

I wonder if it's the music licensing or the game development that's keeping this from being shown further. Or maybe it's right on schedule, and they just bizarrely have decided to not follow-up at all since last May... even though they promised in the announce video to have more news "later in the year."

54 minutes ago, Grunt said:

I wonder if it's the music licensing or the game development that's keeping this from being shown further. Or maybe it's right on schedule, and they just bizarrely have decided to not follow-up at all since last May... even though they promised in the announce video to have more news "later in the year."

If music licensing was going to be an issue, Origins wouldn't exist in the first place. The fact that Origins was even announced and will include S3 tells us its that SEGA have come to some sort of resolution over the music rights issues. It could be a settlement with the original artists or it could be that SEGA have opted to replace the soundtracks. We'll find out eventually. 

It's funny (and sad) that all of the Classic games have some kind of music rights complications. The only one that doesn't is S&K if you don't include the S3 half. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I wish they'd be transparent about development imo. We live in an era where it's stupidly easy to talk to fans and give updates on production without events like E3, so the fact that SEGA's so...quiet about it is concerning, to say the least.

I'm just saying, when a 99 cent remake of fucking ANGRY BIRDS gets better coverage, y'know you balls it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps people are looking too much into it, but why did they put a rating at the bottom of left of the video? 🤨

• Thumbs Up 3

I assume it's a formality when any game gets shown even in short clips like that which aren't even ads, but I'm not sure if it's the norm. Probably not worth holding your breath (heh) about anything incoming just yet.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

i'm gonna make a prediction that we'll hear something about Origins shortly after the film releases, maybe April 14th or something

this guess is based on literally nothing so i might be wrong

• Thumbs Up 5

I know Zippo is as reliable as Wes Weasley, but his recent post had me wishing that at least one part would be true. The animated intro. While it would likely be some fun sequence removed from the title itself much like Mania (which I would still love), I started imagining some kind of oprning montage ala Sonic CD's ending that has important moments from across the titles in the collection. Done in Tyson's Mania style it would be a beautiful thing to see.

Failing that I would love to see a shorts series again, perhaps with an episode devoted to each title. I imagine these kinds of advertising pushes are reserved for new titles like Frontiers but one can dream. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Tenko said:

Failing that I would love to see a shorts series again, perhaps with an episode devoted to each title. I imagine these kinds of advertising pushes are reserved for new titles like Frontiers but one can dream. 

Well, we did just get two shorts for Colors Ultimate last year, so I'd say anything's possible. Knowing SEGA, I kinda doubt they'd want to pass up the opportunity to do a new set of "Classic" shorts, but with Frontiers also coming out next year maybe they don't want to produce so many animations, since I definitely expect Frontiers to get at least a couple. So, who knows.

• Thumbs Up 2

The animations so far have all been for Light Hearted games, mostly Spin offs.

Not sure if it fits with the tone of the next Main Epic. Imagine these cartoons with Sonic Forces.

I mean, hah, I'd love to see these wacky cartoons with Sonic Forces, would have been a great oppurtunity to explore what an Eggman ruled society would look like or what Infinite and Eggman's relation together is, don't get me wrong.

But it would be tonally out of place with the actual game.
And so far, Sonic Frontiers also seems to be way too straight and muted to fit naturally with a wacky cartoon.
Go look up Sonic Mania's cartoon again and then immediatly jump to Frontiers trailers, that's a tonal slap in the face right there.
Wacky cartoons is more Sonic Origins' cup of tea here.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

The animations so far have all been for Light Hearted games, mostly Spin offs.

Not sure if it fits with the tone of the next Main Epic. Imagine these cartoons with Sonic Forces.

I mean, hah, I'd love to see these wacky cartoons with Sonic Forces, would have been a great oppurtunity to explore what an Eggman ruled society would look like or what Infinite and Eggman's relation together is, don't get me wrong.

But it would be tonally out of place with the actual game.
And so far, Sonic Frontiers also seems to be way too straight and muted to fit naturally with a wacky cartoon.
Go look up Sonic Mania's cartoon again and then immediatly jump to Frontiers trailers, that's a tonal slap in the face right there.
Wacky cartoons is more Sonic Origins' cup of tea here.

Technically, we did get the Come Join The Eggman Empire video for Forces. But I disagree with that. These animations can adjust their artstyle and writing to fit whatever game they're promoting. The cartoons don't all have to be wacky, especally with how open Sega's becoming to serious Sonic stories again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2022 at 12:36 AM, Enesephus said:

Well, we did just get two shorts for Colors Ultimate last year, so I'd say anything's possible. Knowing SEGA, I kinda doubt they'd want to pass up the opportunity to do a new set of "Classic" shorts, but with Frontiers also coming out next year maybe they don't want to produce so many animations, since I definitely expect Frontiers to get at least a couple. So, who knows.

If they do the same thing they did with Forces and Mania, Origins will come out earlier this year (probably August or September), and Sonic Frontiers will come out in November. So, they would have enough time to promote both games without cannibalizing each other. Sega recent marketing campaigns were great. I love what they did with Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania, the cooking videos and stuff. I hope Sonic gets to have the same treatment.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, light-gaia said:

I love what they did with Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania, the cooking videos and stuff. I hope Sonic gets to have the same treatment.

Speaking of Monkey Ball, Banana Mania had a launch trailer that was animated too, and had Sonic & Tails pop in as cameo guests. So I guess it's not totally out of the question that even if we don't get a full animated intro or series, we may at leat get a neat animated trailer like Sonic Mania and Banana Mania.

• Thumbs Up 3