Awoo.

Sonic Origins | MT | General Discussion

Ryannumber1gamer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

PSA: This topic is now exclusively for the general discussion of Sonic Origins.

Any new information or announcements surrounding this game (new patches, substantial comments from developers etc) need to be made in a new, separate topic.

I'll probably pass on this since I played these games a bunch already, but I'm glad that the taxman ports got proper console releases.

The digital deluxe stuff sounds like a bad deal, though. At least with Color Ultimate's digital deluxe, it has gameplay related bonuses. All of these are literally just "make the menus prettier", lol. 

I also wish they done a physical release. I buy my games digital anyway, so there's no problem there, but I feel like it would've been a smart move with the movies being a thing. I can see parents picking this up for their child if they really like those films.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, CrystalMaelStorm said:

Madness?.....THIS IS SPARTA!!!

Sorry, but I had to.

So, was this done by Sonic Team and worked from the ground up? If So, I am impressed! I didn't think that without Taxman, they'd be able to make something like this on their own.

I mean, they HAD 3 out of 4 games already done by Taxman and team. They could've just been sneaky and use those versions here, which might be the case, as we can see Sonic 2's Hidden Palace Zone in the trailer, which was exclusive to  Taxman's port.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Jango said:

I mean, they HAD 3 out of 4 games already done by Taxman and team. They could've just been sneaky and used those versions here, which might be the case, as we can see Sonic 2's Hidden Palace Zone in the trailer, which was exclusive to  Taxman's port.

Yeah, I know. They did say Origins was built from the ground up, but it is possible they used the Taxman ports. Still, if Taxman did not do a Sonic 3 and Knuckles port, but Sonic Team did, I would say this was impressive on their part.

• Thumbs Up 2

$40 is about what I expected for something like this honestly.

Though, the extra $5 for what's essentially menu fluff is so stupid it's actually hilarious. Like, you can tell they had the full package but then someone higher up said last minute "We need to squeeze an extra $5 out of this" and just pay-walling the hard missions and a few bonus genesis tracks didn't quite cut it. Essentially led to ripping out neat little menu touches to make "standard" players feel like they're missing shit.

As someone who doesn't care about... jfc anything on that chart (which btw is so bloated for the information it has and is such a pr nightmare that I'm surprised they even went with it), I'm kind of put off by this. Like, I don't even care about having the "dlc" or not (nor losing 5 freedom bucks). It's just the pure greed on display here that's raining on an otherwise seemingly great piece of content.

I like the changes on display here and am in love with the animations... but all that gushing stopped when I saw that stupid, poorly made chart. Took less than an hour to knock me square out of my hype induced honeymoon phase this time around Sega. New record, nice lol

• Thumbs Up 8

This isn't a Sega related problem, but it still sucks to see them go down the same terrible path every other major IP has gone down as of late.

And you know some fans aren't going to care because they lap this shit up.

Just now, azoo said:

Nice.

This is the only good news.

• Thumbs Up 1

See on its own merits it looks like a pretty sick collection, hell, if it was released back in 2015 or 2018 to hold us over during the wait for Frontiers I would have been super excited, but this is a 30th anniversary collection(Releasing on the 31st, but still), and yet it only covers the first 4 years of said 30, which in a post Rare Replay world is flat out piss poor.

Hell it's not even covering everything from those 4 years, why can't we at least get the 8 bit games and the spinoffs of the time emulated by M2 as bonuses?

All the extra stuff is nice, but at the end of the day it's just the same 4 main games we have played a million times.

This would be fine if they were planning on giving us a 3D Origins after this, but SEGA refuses to re-release anything that released inbetween 1994 and 2010, so I know it ain't gonna happen.

• Thumbs Up 5

I gave this collection shit for having too few games... and I'm still giving it shit for having too few games, but I am genuinely impressed with how much they added for the classic 4. 

Too bad I'm still probably not going to get it mostly cause I hate how Sega's been doing these trash pricing tiers since Colors Ultimate.  

I'm looking forward to seeing the chart for Sonic Frontiers next. I wonder if half of the music will be locked behind a paywall for it. Maybe Super Sonic will be paid DLC again for nostalgic purposes.

So, Headcannon did Sonic 3 and Knuckles for Origins...

Maybe they can make an all new classic based Sonic game if Taxman's team is no longer available the next time Sega wants to make such a game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Collection is looking awesome already, even if locking some stuff behind deluxe editions is kind of weird. The music pack including chaotix/3d blast music makes me wonder if they wanted to remaster those games too at some point?

One thing this collection continues that I really enjoy about modern game releases, is that collections seem to have a lot more effort put into them nowadays.

• Thumbs Up 1

Now my question here is can we get an online leaderboard that isn't hacked instantly. Is that something that the tech of current year can finally implement?!?

• Thumbs Up 3

Was hype for quite literally 5 minutes until I saw that DLC pre order nonsense.....the fuck is all that? No physical either. Sigh, standard Sega, always gotta butcher a straight easy win somehow.

Everything else content wise as far as missions and anniversary mode really does look great and the general pricing is fair as well. They even did the animation bit I was half hoping for a little while back. 

Not interested. Not enough new content to justify the price and the DLC shit is laughable. Sonic 3 with mods will do for now.

• Thumbs Up 2

Very mixed TBH.

On one hand, I'm not sold on the proposition value here. Despite the new features (which are admittedly more than expected), $40 is steep for only four/five Genesis/CD games, two of which have received multiple releases for this gen alone. The lack of a physical release and the continued AAA publisher trend of divvying up bonus content across so many editions you have to draw a chart to keep track (the animations that are shown in the trailer are beautiful, but why the hell are they DLC?) on top of that is an extremely souring note. Sega just can't help themselves and let a good thing go unscathed. It's enough that I'd prefer waiting for a sale, like when this is maybe $30 or $20. Go look at the upcoming TMNT collection, that comes with arguably triple the wow and it's at the same price.

The main rebuttal to this though is that I'm extremely glad Sega called Stealth/Headcannon back to remaster 3&K, finally tying up the loose ends from his and Taxman's 3&K remaster pitch from 2014; and in general are using Taxman's (updated) Retro Engine. In that regard, I definitely do want to support. [Baffling though in that when you look at how Mania was announced and promoted, you would think they would want to shout HC's involvement from the rooftops like they did with that game, unless this was a personal request by HC themselves.]

• Thumbs Up 2

*Sings*

How....HIGH! Does the bouncy barrel go!

If you jump down!

Then you'll never know!

• Chuckle 9

I appreciate that there has been some extra work put in but £33 is a little too much on the steep side for whats on offer. Maybe a future sale will hit some kind of sweet spot but for now I'll be happy with the Mega Drive Mini.

https://www-famitsu-com.translate.goog/news/202204/20258988.html?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Famitsu has some clarified details

- There's a "Story Mode" which combines all four games, along with the animations.

- It clarifies that the bonus music is simply more music for the sound test. It contains 73 tracks from Sonic Spinball, Knuckles Chatoitx and Sonic 3D Blast.

- The "letterbox" thing is multiple different backgrounds. 10 from the deluxe, one from the pre-order (A Mega Drive theme). So this one design will be unavailable after launch.

- Mirror mode can be unlocked if you don't pre-order.

• Thumbs Up 1

I won't pretend the collection doesn't seem cool, but at the end of the day it's just the same 4 games we've played a million times (I'll give 3K the benefit of the doubt as it hasn't been re-released since 09/10, but still). If SEGA is gonna pretend that anything released post-Genesis doesn't exist, they could at least give us some of the early spinoffs and 8-bit games. Mega Collection did it 20 years ago, there's no excuse.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Jango said:

Yup, NOW I feel safe to pre-order. Can't wait.

4 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Confirmation in its primest form.

This now suddenly makes the rest of my quibbles ok.

I've nothing against M2 or Sonic Team or anything - but the work these guys put in really made the Classic titles the definitive way to play them (it just sucked that they were mostly locked to Mobile). Now this is no longer the case (and work was put in on S3&K) is nothing short of hype for me. 

Pre-Order Secured. 

• Thumbs Up 3