Awoo.

Sonic Origins | MT | General Discussion

Ryannumber1gamer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

PSA: This topic is now exclusively for the general discussion of Sonic Origins.

Any new information or announcements surrounding this game (new patches, substantial comments from developers etc) need to be made in a new, separate topic.

We already know that SEGA/SoA lurks this place more often than not (and Retro too). I'm willing to bet Knuckles will defintely be playable in CD at some point.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Jango said:

We already know that SEGA/SoA lurks this place more often than not (and Retro too). 

Do we?  Can you provide any demonstrations of that?

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, LegoFedora said:

Is CD built differently due to being the first retro port/remake, where backporting knuckle's newer code into it is difficult or something?

Sonic CD has a few character animations that don't exist in any of the Genesis games, so adding a character to it requires original sprite work and is thus more complicated than simply porting an existing version. 

Back when Christian Whitehead originally remade CD he was clearly willing to go the extra mile and do this for Tails, but now, in this case, he has to work on rebuilding S3&K from the ground up as well as implement the various extra features and content that the collection will offer.  Doing extra work on the earlier remakes that are already technically done just isn't a priority.

3 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Do we?  Can you provide any demonstrations of that?

This is one of those type of things you can't show, you just know. They're here. Theeeeeeey're here. Hey, c'mere and say yellow. Hi SEGAAAAA!

• Thumbs Up 1

Anyone has ani info on when would be possible to Pre-Order for nintendo Switch? No trace of this platform in the oficial Preorder website, neither on the nintendo eshop.

Cheers

We've got some footage!

Dropdash, Super Sonic in Sonic 1, Sonic Jam music, Hidden Palace, Knuckles & Tails Mode and mission modes are showcased.

• Thumbs Up 8

7 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

We've got some footage!

Dropdash, Super Sonic in Sonic 1, Sonic Jam music, Hidden Palace, Knuckles & Tails Mode and mission modes are showcased.

The Drop Dash is such a perfect addition to the Sonic formula that I didn't even register it in S1 until I watched the footage a few times over. 

One thing that did stick out to me though would be the character select screen. Sonic just uses his S2 sprite regardless of the game. It's not a big deal, but it's looks like somewhat sloppy presentation. It was like that in the announcement trailer too and I was hoping it was just early footage lacking the final polish. Surely it wouldn't be hard work to have the correct sprites show for each game? 

Otherwise everything looks good. That's not really much to say though, because we know exactly what to expect of this package. Mission mode looks quite clean and interesting though though. I'm looking forward to that.

• Thumbs Up 3

30 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

The Drop Dash is such a perfect addition to the Sonic formula that I didn't even register it in S1 until I watched the footage a few times over. 

One thing that did stick out to me though would be the character select screen. Sonic just uses his S2 sprite regardless of the game. It's not a big deal, but it's looks like somewhat sloppy presentation. It was like that in the announcement trailer too and I was hoping it was just early footage lacking the final polish. Surely it wouldn't be hard work to have the correct sprites show for each game? 

Otherwise everything looks good. That's not really much to say though, because we know exactly what to expect of this package. Mission mode looks quite clean and interesting though though. I'm looking forward to that.

There WAS a 4chan leak that suggested a "Sprite Swapping" thing...but it also mentioned Knuckles in CD so that's probably bs.

ETA: I'm glad Super Sonic doesn't seem to be locked by level select in Sonic 1. Nice to see Drop Dash in as well, best thing about SEGA Ages Sonic 1/2 on Switch.

Looks solid. Nice Jam remix. Hopefully they've remixed Mega Collection music as well.

I like that they've gotten creative with the Palmtree Panic mission and changed some of the level layout. As for what we need to do in these two missions; PP is probably collect as many rings as possible and the Metropolis one is to beat it as quickly as possible with Super Sonic.

Good to see the drop-dash in S1. It's obviously been added to all games (we already know it's in S3K).

The noise it makes when you select an option (at 0:05 or 0:11 etc) is the exact same sound when you select an option in Sonic Mania.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/15/2022 at 10:50 AM, LegoFedora said:

Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles not being separable is kind of meh, but it's not that big of a deal at all. I usually prefer the & knuckles half, and if I want to just play that half then I'll just start the game at Mushroom Hill zone once I have the full playthrough save done. Do you miss out on one (1) boss fight? Not really, because knuckles' playthrough will still have it.

Knuckles being absent from CD is the much bigger annoyance, since it goes against the "Play as any character in any game*" *Except for this specific character in this specific game. Aren't these all running on the retro engine? Is CD built differently due to being the first retro port/remake, where backporting knuckle's newer code into it is difficult or something?

I prefer Sonic 3's original form more than the combined one. I feel like it's more easy to die on the 3 portion of 3&k than the original.

They fixed the jump SFX in Sonic 2 going off of the latest video.

Small detail, but it bothered me in the original remaster

40 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

They fixed the jump SFX in Sonic 2 going off of the latest video.

Small detail, but it bothered me in the original remaster

Going to be honest, I can't hear a difference, and in the nearly 30 years I've been playing those games I've never heard a difference.

1 hour ago, TheOcelot said:

The noise it makes when you select an option (at 0:05 or 0:11 etc) is the exact same sound when you select an option in Sonic Mania.

A lot of the sounds this collection uses seems to just be mania sounds, which is fine it just sounds kind of out of place to me. Was kind of hoping we'd get unique sounds/menu music like previous sonic collections had. Not a big problem at all and hardly something to complain about, it'd just be a neat thing to have I guess. 

43 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Going to be honest, I can't hear a difference, and in the nearly 30 years I've been playing those games I've never heard a difference.

Maybe this video could help? It's a bit of a subtle difference 

For future reference you guys are free to make new topics based on new information for upcoming Sonic media as it comes out. You're still allowed to talk about it in megathreads but having new topics helps highlight this stuff for casual browsers of the forum.

I'm liking how the mission mode is remixing assets into new challenges. And it looks like a sizeable addition. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I might be in the minority, but the character select menu looks so..blegh compared to the rest of the presentation in the game. The ones in the iOS/Android games at least match the aesthetic presented in the other menus. Put some splashes of the yellow or green from the main menus onto the big blank white box or something. It is coloured inside the portraits during selection etc, but that doesn't help the giant drab box it's in.

I'm just being picky I know, but compared to the rest of the eye candy in that game play video it just looks like it was thrown together to test in the development stage and left that way.

• Thumbs Up 1

A white box with a small drop shadow and some gray shapes in opposite corners...

Is perfect.

33 minutes ago, Coz483 said:

One problem. Tails tails aren't spinning, unless that happens in the original and I forgot.

The video is 30FPS so it's only showing half the frames.

Just spotted some new pics over on the PSN store. 

EDIT: I was looking at the normal edition page and not the deluxe edition. 

This maybe just me who hasnt seen these 🙈 Enjoy anyway. 😂

E19B82C0-68D7-4335-957E-71BC69E945BA.jpeg

D3849438-5E38-41B7-85FF-936C1868317D.jpeg

34EB657A-873C-4E95-8613-EFEC0D9F86DC.jpeg

Please, a playable "Wood Zone", the lost "R2" level and the brand new final boss for SONIC CD and fully-playable versions of SONIC3's "2-player" zones!!...

(And a little something about Ashura for die-hard SONIC fans...)

Some clarifications by Headcannon on Twitter about their involvement with Origins. [Tweets, and contents of tweets in quotes below.]

To address a misunderstanding regarding Headcannon's involvement in #SonicOrigins- We DID NOT work on Origins itself, nor did we do any additional work on Sonic 1, 2, or CD. We were contracted to build a Retro Engine version of S3&K as a separate project from Sega's Sonic Origins

---

Headcannon's work used in #SonicOrigins, including S3&K, was implemented into Origins by Sega's internal team, who also made any Origins-specific changes/additions themselves. We're proud to have our work featured as PART of Sonic Origins, but it's purely a Sega-developed product

---

To further clarify, as it's been asked, yes, this includes Mission Mode. Sega's team developed the missions, as well as Boss Rush, Mirror Mode, etc internally. The only distinct mode that Headcannon created was Blue Spheres, and its implementation into Origins was handled by Sega

Guess this explains why Whitehead and Headcannon's involvement with Origins wasn't clarified until a month ago.

The distinction of S3&K being remastered as a standalone project does make me wonder though. Perhaps Sega's considering giving 3&K remastered a standalone mobile release to complete the set? The iOS/Android releases of TaxStealth's remasters are conspicuously absent from Sega's planned delisting of older releases of the MD games.