Awoo.

Sonic Origins | MT | General Discussion

Ryannumber1gamer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

PSA: This topic is now exclusively for the general discussion of Sonic Origins.

Any new information or announcements surrounding this game (new patches, substantial comments from developers etc) need to be made in a new, separate topic.

My impression of the Sonic 3 music situation was that it wasn't simply a matter of having to fork money over to the Jackson estate; it's that there were so many third-party fingers in the composition pie that it's unclear who has the right to what and how much.  That wouldn't be something which could be solved solely by throwing money at the problem; it would be a matter of extensive negotiation and perhaps litigation between the lawyers for all involved parties, and nobody would come out of it any the happier or the richer.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Salamander said:

it would be a matter of extensive negotiation and perhaps litigation between the lawyers for all involved parties, and nobody would come out of it any the happier or the richer.

Except for the lawyers, they'll be rich and happy just fine.

3 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Except for the lawyers, they'll be rich and happy just fine.

Well, that's a universal truth.

Cool

Maybe this means they can stop with the shitty memes for once and begin on ramping up promotion, so people can know why they should buy this collection, yes?

1 hour ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Cool

Maybe this means they can stop with the shitty memes for once and begin on ramping up promotion, so people can know why they should buy this collection, yes?

With Sonic 2 movie having just released digitally this would be the perfect time to show more of Origins to get existing and especially new fans more interested. 

• Thumbs Up 2

In the 2011 CD remaster there's a glitch where if you have over 100 rings you automatically get an extra life every time you time travel (which makes the game super easy, think I once earned over 200 lives exploiting this glitch). Hope this is fixed in Origins. Also, the extra life box in the good & bad future version of Wacky Workbench act2 can only be collected in the bad future. For some reason the area you access it is blocked off in the good future. It's a minor thing but should also be fixed.

5 hours ago, TheOcelot said:

In the 2011 CD remaster there's a glitch where if you have over 100 rings you automatically get an extra life every time you time travel (which makes the game super easy, think I once earned over 200 lives exploiting this glitch). Hope this is fixed in Origins. Also, the extra life box in the good & bad future version of Wacky Workbench act2 can only be collected in the bad future. For some reason the area you access it is blocked off in the good future. It's a minor thing but should also be fixed.

I hope it gets fixed, just because it looks a bit sloppy otherwise, but Sonic CD is already the easiest 2D Sonic game of the original series, if not the entire franchise. This glitch is basically useless considering there are so few hazards and a built-in save system that’s been there since the original release.

SEGA Japan have uploaded a highlights video of their recent "Sonic Station Live" stream narrated in English.

The only interesting thing they mention about Origins is that the coins earned by completing missions unlocks; music, artworks and game design documents from each game.

Edit: Jun Senoue has worked with Tee Lopes to compose the "background music for the animations" (presumably either the 3D Islands or new animated cutscenes in Story Mode) in Origins.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love how in that Ruricon interview they are quoted as saying you can unlock "...Treasury illustrations, which will be released for the first time, so please take a look and I hope you will be surprised that there were images like this."

As well finding out from that Sonic Station Live that there are design documents for each title.

Both from sources that more than likely only Sonic fans would go out of their way to watch. Yet the most consistent comment on forums and what not seems to be "it's all likely stuff we have seen before".

We just recently got Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 concept art, as well as Saturn mockup works etc that no one had seen previously and you don't think there could be art and documents from the original titles we haven't seen? That "Part One" art for Sonic 3 that was discovered not that long ago also springs to mind. I would say we have something to look forward to if they are telling fans of all people that they have new unseen content to share.

• Thumbs Up 3

We're getting more gameplay on 3rd June:

The live-stream starts at 12pm UK time.

I'm interested in what story mode beats they could use for the original Sonic. We can probably take educated guesses as far as Sonic CD, and Sonic 3K since they already have story elements to them in game. Sonic 2 has some decent ones near the end they can use too.

The original Sonic tho. What kind of intro could they create? They could go with something simple like Mania Adventures where he's visiting Green Hill and sees robots everywhere, and Eggman taking off with a capsule of animals I guess.

But what if we get to see a flashback when he sees Eggman, finally seeing him meeting him for the first time prior to the events of the game? Could we perhaps see a glimpse of Christmas Island somehow in some way? Or remembering being captured by him along with Mighty and Ray on Eggman Island setting that games place in the timeline and setting up for their release in Mania down the line?

Could Sonic 2 have a scene with Sonic first meeting Tails as one would logically assume? There's some potential for the classic games, and the franchise as a whole to have some past story points finally touched on and some world building and connecting done which is exciting to think about.

It could also be me setting myself up for disappointment tho 🙃 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/1/2022 at 10:33 AM, TheOcelot said:

We're getting more gameplay on 3rd June:

The live-stream starts at 12pm UK time.

Watching this now, they jus showed that the Japanese soundtrack's songs, complete with lyrics, are indeed back! I am so excited!

• Thumbs Up 1

Watched the stream. They showed-off the following:

• Opening cutscene of Sonic 1 & played Green Hill in Story Mode (they didn't show if drop-dash is in Story Mode).
  • Played Emerald Hill from Sonic 2 in Anniversary mode. Sonic & Tails AI, Sonic alone, Tails alone, Knuckles alone or Knuckles & Tails AI could be selected in the title screen. They showed-off 2 player vs mode (offline).

NPFZH71.png

• Played Sonic 3; Angel Island in Anniversary Mode. Had the S3 title screen music, but S&K Knuckles theme. 
  • Played a bit of Angel Island in Mirror Mode.
  • Sonic CD; Played Palmtree Panic in Classic Mode. You Can Do Anything has it's vocals!!!
  • Mission Mode; Metropolis zone mission as Super Sonic.
  • Sonic CD Boss Rush Mode: Have to beat all bosses with no rings.
  • Soundtest; Played Knuckles Chaotix title screen music.
  • Museum Menu; Concept art (box art, zone art, character art) which we've seen before (don't think was anything new). Also new art from Origins.
  • Can play the Sonic Mania Adventures animated shorts in the Museum menu.
  • Museum Menu background is a 3D Blast island.
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Weird that the museum doesn't seem to have the TV ad's, and animated promotional materials etc that Sonic Jam had. Considering they have the covers, and previous character art, Sonic Screensaver stuff and what not in the art area like Sonic Jam did. It's kinda sad the movies area seems to be just the games cutscenes and Sonic Mania Adventures and that's about it. (It's rad we finally can have a hard copy of Sonic Mania Adventures tho so that's awesome).

• Thumbs Up 2

They could've made the character select screen way better. Just make it like a fighting game and let the player build their own duo. That way I can never, for example, play as Tails with Sonic/Knuckles following me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yup - looking rad as expected. 

You can certainly tell that Headcannon weren’t involved past supplying the goods with those selection interfaces though.

However, I can forgive that due to the effort put into the interactive island backgrounds. Just looking at the overworld map and seeing South Island, West Side Island and Angel Island overhead in their respective places fills my personal headcanon map with JOY. I also like that Sonic CD’s has its own landmass connection to the Miracle Planet as well which was how I always pictured it. Super sweet.

• Thumbs Up 3

Watching Sonic 3's opening mirrored is like a bad acid trip. Shit is so disorientating.

• Chuckle 1

lotta cool stuff shown off in this, i love the zoomed out map menu and i'm excited to see the cutscenes and unseen concept art. This cheered me up a lot after all the frontiers contention.

SEGA YOU MOTHERFUCKERS.

unknown.png

You didn't implement the extended camera system in CD's so-called "original mode"! I don't even understand why these 4:3 versions are in the collection if they're not going to be accurate to the originals in the first place; why not just slap the original ROMs in there? I'll bet you anything it still has the bug from the 2011 version where time traveling above the 5 minute mark doesn't reset your timer to 5'00"00.

6 hours ago, Sean said:

SEGA YOU MOTHERFUCKERS.

You didn't implement the extended camera system in CD's so-called "original mode"! I don't even understand why these 4:3 versions are in the collection if they're not going to be accurate to the originals in the first place; why not just slap the original ROMs in there? I'll bet you anything it still has the bug from the 2011 version where time traveling above the 5 minute mark doesn't reset your timer to 5'00"00.

If you are referring to when the camera pulls back to allow you see more of what's ahead when Sonic runs/spindashes; You had to select the "Original CD Spindash" option to enable this in the 2011 remaster. It's probably the same in Origins. So when they played CD in this stream they probably enabled the "Sonic 2/3 spindash" option (also in the 2011 remaster) where the camera pull-back is disabled (although they never tried to spindash in this stream so I can't be certain). 

As for resetting the timer to 5'00"00, yeah this being changed in the 2011 remaster is annoying especially if you want to explore each time period. Whereas this isn't an issue in Anniversary Mode (and presumably Story Mode/Mirror Mode) because they have no time-limit.

8 hours ago, TheOcelot said:

If you are referring to when the camera pulls back to allow you see more of what's ahead when Sonic runs/spindashes; You had to select the "Original CD Spindash" option to enable this in the 2011 remaster. It's probably the same in Origins. So when they played CD in this stream they probably enabled the "Sonic 2/3 spindash" option (also in the 2011 remaster) where the camera pull-back is disabled (although they never tried to spindash in this stream so I can't be certain). 

As for resetting the timer to 5'00"00, yeah this being changed in the 2011 remaster is annoying especially if you want to explore each time period. Whereas this isn't an issue in Anniversary Mode (and presumably Story Mode/Mirror Mode) because they have no time-limit.

Yeah but I assumed that if you play classic mode then the games will resemble the originals as closely as possible, e.g. no Sonic 2 spindash in CD. Is that not the case here and you can still toggle between the two regardless?

• Thumbs Up 3