Awoo.

Sonic Origins | MT | General Discussion

Ryannumber1gamer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

PSA: This topic is now exclusively for the general discussion of Sonic Origins.

Any new information or announcements surrounding this game (new patches, substantial comments from developers etc) need to be made in a new, separate topic.

I think this will 100% be a physical edition, and I genuenly think at minimum it will be set up very much like Sonic Mania plus's physical edition, Reversable art sleeve, art book and slip cover. I think Sega will already know that some fans already own multiple copies of the game and may pass on potentially buying this, they will likely try and entice those fans that are on the fence by trying to sell it as a somewhat collectable package. And thats regardless of whatever extra features the games have or don't have.

• Thumbs Up 2

Think a physical version also depends on price. Depending on how large the collection is going to be, I think it'll be at least £25. Guessing as well Origins is also going to be Epic Games Store exclusive on PC for 1 year with Colours Ultimate being that too.

648346804_SonicOriginsConceptMenu-min-min.thumb.PNG.91deda262e144bc42efa1de8ef1aec19.PNG I tried to make a concept for this, but forgot sonic CD thinking it wasn't gonna be in a collection like this.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/1/2021 at 5:50 AM, Silvereyes said:

Think a physical version also depends on price. Depending on how large the collection is going to be, I think it'll be at least £25. Guessing as well Origins is also going to be Epic Games Store exclusive on PC for 1 year with Colours Ultimate being that too.

Think they will target £34.99 (The original RRP of Sonic Mania Plus physical I believe) They could sell one game at that, so sure they could sell Origins at that with a couple of extra game features and physical goodies. Like you say though all content dependant.

On 6/2/2021 at 5:37 PM, pacmanrace said:

648346804_SonicOriginsConceptMenu-min-min.thumb.PNG.91deda262e144bc42efa1de8ef1aec19.PNG I tried to make a concept for this, but forgot sonic CD thinking it wasn't gonna be in a collection like this.

Nice, is this a mock-up for the menu, I like that you used the generations backgrounds here, seems very fitting, I sense that you've been inspired by the Mario 3D all stars menu slightly in terms of layout too, with the date at the top and the covers at the bottom for game selection (Though I could be wrong, and your mock-up is a lot more colourful than 3D All-stars thats for sure!)

On 6/2/2021 at 5:37 PM, pacmanrace said:

An interesting concept for a menu, getting some serious generations vibes here.

This could be interesting: 

This youtuber says he has a contact in the company "PixelHeart" who is alleging they originally pitched the idea of Sonic "Origins" to SEGA which would include a 3DS and Dreamcast release. SEGA then announced Origins in the Central Presentation without letting PixelHeart know if they had taken them up on the project, only for SEGA to then tell PixelHeart they were going with a different developer.

So it could be that SEGA stole the idea of a new compilation and the name "Origins" from PixelHeart, lol.

I'm not watching a thirteen-minute rumour-mongering video, so joke's on me if the guy has bulletproof evidence, but I don't think the idea of a new Sonic compilation or such a compilation being called "Origins" are that unique a concept.  I'm also not sure why you'd call it "Origins" if it was going to include 3DS and Dreamcast material.

• Thumbs Up 5

Something that would likely not be added that I still want to see are the manuals and the old promotional material. That old promotional material is a big part of why Sonic got so popular in the 90s.

Game Informer interview with Iizuka. He said the following regarding Origins:

Can you tell us anything about what to expect with the Sonic Origins collection? I know a lot of fans who have been with the series as long as I have are going to be anticipating that one.

"We have released these titles many times in the past running on emulation but seeing that 4:3 screen ratio on modern 16:9 displays feels very retro. The concept behind Sonic Origins is to make these four legendary titles feel more modern. Of course, this means displaying the title in the full 16:9 screen formats of modern displays. We still have time before this title releases so I can't really get into the details yet, but I believe this will be a title that not only first-time players will enjoy, but also core fans."

I've been telling people that the recent Sega Ages versions of Sonic 1 and 2 on Switch are the best ways to play those games today thanks to all the enhancements. Do you think these new Sonic Origins versions will be able to rival or surpass those versions as the best way to experience those classic games?

I am glad you like the Sega Ages versions of Sonic 1 and 2. There are a lot of original features and game modes we put in there exclusively, so if people haven't played it yet, they should give it a go. However, Sonic Origins will have features that not even the Sega Ages versions have. Not only will the playable game area be in the 16:9 format, but it will also be a multiplatform release of a title containing Sonic 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles, and CD. Look forward to hearing a lot more announcements about Sonic Origins in the near future."

Speaking of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, it's been a long time since we've had a re-release of that game. As someone who was integral to the development of that original title, how does it feel to bring it back to market for the first time in so long?

I think a lot of fans really appreciate the news that we will include Sonic 3 & Knuckles in Sonic Origins, but I think I am the most excited out of everyone. It was the first Sonic title that I worked on and is a title that is really close to my heart, so having the chance to re-release this title after decades is something I am really looking forward to. As development on the title is currently progressing, every time I see Sonic 3 & Knuckles data, I am reminded of all the hard work and excitement I had when I was younger making that title. It really brings back a lot of memories for me."

So this is definitive confirmation that all 4 games will have 16:9 widescreen and will have features which the SEGA Ages releases (of Sonic 1 & 2) don't have.

• Thumbs Up 2

He also mentioned Christian Whitehead in pleasant terms during the interview, so we know there is no bad blood between him and SEGA, putting some of those rumors to rest.

Let's just hope this extend to the Mobile ports finally getting proper console debuts.

I didn’t even realise there were rumours of “bad blood” between Whitehead and Co and Sonic Team. 

In any case it will be interesting to see what they come up with if it’s being redone AGAIN by another team that isn’t the on the Retro Engine or using the M2 team to port. 

But It’s going to take some real effort to convince me that it’s anything better than what the Retro Engine produced - because apart from S1/2 unfortunately being Mobile exclusive (save for CD) they were the best versions of the games to play IMO. The ages versions were also somewhat passable on current hardware I suppose too.

It makes me wonder what’s going on with this now - and makes me once again fear the collection is ONLY these 4/5 games again which would suck (unless there is some really neat additions packed in here). 

15 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

He also mentioned Christian Whitehead in pleasant terms during the interview, so we know there is no bad blood between him and SEGA, putting some of those rumors to rest.

I mean, if it was Naka, sure, maybe I'd see how someone might get the wrong impression (especially with the petty dismissive comments about Yasuhara), but who ever believed Iizuka--the guy who is in part responsible for the Mania project--had some grudge against Whitehead or vice versa? That was always some dumb playground type of rumor where some idiot claimed Sega's mad someone else made a good Sonic game... on their dime.

I can see the executive types not valuing the team or anything, but that's just executives not caring and just wanting more product. They don't care how it's made or about the people who made it possible. Slap Sonic's face on something and get people to buy it and hope they don't realize it's garbage until they get home. Like, at worst, the Mania team was probably frustrated with Sega of Europe's shitty Denuvo patching job on the initial PC release. At the very least, we know Stealth called them out on this (in fairness, I recall Sega's post had sort of... pinned the blame on the delay of the PC version on the devs even though the entire reason was so Sega could implement Denuvo at the last minute). But that's like, the extent of it.

I just feel stuff like this is silly to entertain and it's not exactly going to stop the rumors.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Too Many Rings 1

8 hours ago, Zaysho said:

but who ever believed Iizuka--the guy who is in part responsible for the Mania project--had some grudge against Whitehead or vice versa?

Same folk dumb enough to believe that the man sabotaged Mania from "being a fully original" game.

• Thumbs Up 1

https://www.gameinformer.com/interview/2021/06/13/sonic-team-head-talks-sonic-origins-next-mainline-game-and-30th-anniversary

I've been telling people that the recent Sega Ages versions of Sonic 1 and 2 on Switch are the best ways to play those games today thanks to all the enhancements. Do you think these new Sonic Origins versions will be able to rival or surpass those versions as the best way to experience those classic games?

I am glad you like the Sega Ages versions of Sonic 1 and 2. There are a lot of original features and game modes we put in there exclusively, so if people haven't played it yet, they should give it a go. However, Sonic Origins will have features that not even the Sega Ages versions have. Not only will the playable game area be in the 16:9 format, but it will also be a multiplatform release of a title containing Sonic 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles, and CD. Look forward to hearing a lot more announcements about Sonic Origins in the near future. 

• Thumbs Up 1

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2021/06/exclusive-sonic-origins-wont-be-running-off-emulation-more-classic-sonic-games-may-be-remastered/

“I’m not able to speak to the product details yet, but I can tell you that this will not be a compilation title running off emulation. We are planning on supporting a 16:9 full screen game for ease of play. For anyone that hasn’t played any of those original games, Sonic Origins will be perfect for you.”

So it seems regardless of whether it's the Taxman versions or not, these titles are definitely not just ROMs slapped onto a collection. Thats nice.

Still hoping for more games to be included in the collection, but it's still not looking likely for this collection.

When asked about other potential candidates for SEGA to bring back – ranging from the more esoteric and rare titles such as the Sonic Advance series, SEGASonic the Hedgehog arcade or Knuckles’ Chaotix – Iizuka told The Sonic Stadium that his team is exploring options to re-introduce more games from Sonic’s back catalogue to a wider audience.

It's nice that SEGA are looking to bring back more legacy titles, but I do hope they aren't just slapping the lot of them into a million different collections, because then that is a pain and a half.

If there's a possibility of a "3-D Origins" down the line that has SA1/SA2 I'm content to wait, the fact they're looking into other titles besides the Genesis platformers is acceptable for now, at least for me. So long as whatever comes out is given a physical release I'll be happy.

At this point, I'm under the impression that this isn't just a port of the Whitehead versions of Sonic 1/2/CD plus whatever they're doing for 3&K. Which is theoretically fine, but I hope we don't lose any of the original content made for those versions, like Tails and Knuckles in Sonic 1 and especially Hidden Palace in Sonic 2. If stuff like that is left out, this release won't feel definitive to me, even if these versions have their own unique features.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah, this is excellent news that the collection won't be made using emulation. It may not be the biggest in terms of the number games included, but it now feels like Origins has the potential of being one of the best in terms of the quality of the new releases of 1, 2, CD & 3K. Also, I really like Iizuka's enthusiasm regarding 3&K being released again. I'm all for more releases of old games as long as they are also not just emulations.

I've got a feeling Evening Star isn't involved at all with these. And these aren't using the Retro Engine. I just feel SEGA would at least say that out of the gate.  

SEGA are making their own in house engine so they can have full ownership of the content for these versions of the games. At least thats what it feels like to me. Not going off any evidence really. 

• Thumbs Up 3

So if it's not emulation, they're at least using Taxman's Sonic 1, 2 and CD or nah? Is Sonic Team really reworking on these titles again for themselves this time?! That'd be really stupid, but I still have some doubts... Speaking of which, I assume Sonic CD's intro and outro will still be instrumental only or did SEGA actually repaired their issue with the singer?

3 minutes ago, Jango said:

So if it's not emulation, they're at least using Taxman's Sonic 1, 2 and CD or nah? Is Sonic Team really reworking on these titles again for themselves this time?! That'd be really stupid, but I still have some doubts... Speaking of which, I assume Sonic CD's intro and outro will still be instrumental only or did SEGA actually repaired their issue with the singer?

Iizuka stops short of giving those details. If they're not emulations, they're ports or remakes. SCD 2011 on consoles/PC is a port of the mobile version, which itself is a remake is the original game. Christian Whitehead was not directly involved in the development of the console/PC version; Blitworks ported the mobile version to other platforms (and introduced some errors with resolution output and filters in the process). Assuming that SEGA has the rights to do what they please with the existing mobile versions of S1 and S2, they could simple port those to consoles and PC. I think it's likely that we will simple see ports of the existing remakes of those games. What will happen with S3K is more up in the air. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Evening Star own the rights to the Retro Engine? Wouldn't that mean SEGA would essentially have to license them to use those ports? Or at least compensate in some way for them. 

• Promotion 1

That's absolutely correct. Although: It's called the Star Engine now, since the studio is Evening Star now. So Evening Star would absolutely have to be involved in this if they were to use that Engine, at least as a licensee.

11 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Evening Star own the rights to the Retro Engine? Wouldn't that mean SEGA would essentially have to license them to use those ports? Or at least compensate in some way for them. 

It's their property, but we don't know how the deal has been handled. SEGA could license the rights to use it again if they need to, without Evening Star being directly involved in development. Or it could just be that SEGA simply owns the Retro Engine versions of S1, S2 and SCD entirely and can port them to any system freely. That's already the case for Mania seemingly, as SEGA have made it available on more platforms since release. But they wouldn't be able to create a whole new game, i.e. S3K, on the Retro/Star Engine without Evening Star getting involved.

• Thumbs Up 1