Awoo.

Sonic Origins | MT | General Discussion

Ryannumber1gamer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

PSA: This topic is now exclusively for the general discussion of Sonic Origins.

Any new information or announcements surrounding this game (new patches, substantial comments from developers etc) need to be made in a new, separate topic.

³So, the machine translation is pretty unreliable for this Famitsu interview, but it does at least give us a sort clear look at one part. 

Sega of America were the ones who asked for the Drop Dash in 1-CD. 

14 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

Looks like a patch is in the works as of right now:

Alright, hopefully, this will make the game better by any degree. Not that Sonic Origins shouldn't have been fixed from the start though, for it should have. I mean, a game as it is at release should be what counts most. To some members who come here and are reading this, I am sure they know well what I mean. Sonic Origins should not have had these problems.

But yeah, it is good to see a patch is in the works.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, The Deleter said:

Looks like a patch is in the works as of right now:

Dunno why this confirmation had to take so long. 

• Thumbs Up 2

This is just sweet man. For as much hate as this collection deserves, reactions like this for people less in the know are just sweet. It's cool to just see a person legit excited about a thing in a Sonic game. And well, give Origins credit for making it easier to acquire. 

Spoiler

Now if only it started good. 

18 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

I wonder who "the team" is.

Maybe this is unrealistic, but maybe there is a slim chance it's Headcanon because SEGA decides Sonic Team needs to be focused on Frontiers.

*Sigh* I know that's stupid. It's not like Sonic Team are just going to hand the Hedgehog Engine tools they were working with to an outside team. 

Good to get confirmation from the NA branch (we already knew from SEGA jp via twitter they are working on a new patch to fix the mis-labelled music in the Museum).

Hopefully this will be a big patch as there's lots of issues to fix. At the very least the Tails respawn bug in S1 & S2, issue where Tails flight noise plays constantly throughout the special stage in S2, game randomly freezing in mission mode and S3K emerald losing glitch should be fixed as they are the most annoying IMO.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm sorry, but until I see evidence, i'm not convinced that the patch is gonna do anything substantial to improve the games. Unless Headcanon is given the opportunity to polish up Sonic 3 and things like the CD ending video being randomly sped up, the Tails respawn bug, and the lack of voice clips in CD are fixed, of course.

• Thumbs Up 2

I mean, Mania Plus came with a pretty substancial patch, they even changed a whole boss... Granted it took a few months and it was kinda tied to a DLC, but still.

As someone hasn’t bought the game I’m more then happy to wait for that patch and get all that stuff fixed before finally diving in

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Sean said:

3FvfCts.png

Is it bad that I kinda find this "trailer" insulting? Like, after how fucking unpolished it is, it doesn't deserve a trailer like that

• Thumbs Up 1

TBH I think it’s a fair enough video to market IMO and probably something they need to do considering some of the smaller controversies around the title.

But in general these “self congratulatory” accolades trailers are nothing new, and even then all of them only focus on the higher scores anyway and ignore the lower end reviews. 

But as my personal experience with this title was on the positive end, overall I’m more mellowed out when it comes to what this game lacks. 

…that’s not to say that this game couldn’t still do with a little fixing up. But as I didn’t really run into bugs, my only real nitpicks are with the menus and implementation of these games into the package. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Beat Sonic 1, and Sonic CD in story mode. Started Sonic 2, and good god the Tails A.I. is really fucking stupid. I don't remember it being this bad in the original Sonic 2.

Just a mini rant but I finally decided to play boss rush mode recently and man, it's such a weird little thing they did here.

Firstly, I don't get the 0 rings thing.  Not only does it make some bosses unnecessarily hard for novice players, they don't even stick to it, giving you rings on a handful of bosses that the development team just decided were too hard without rings, I guess.  But what would have been an interesting opportunity to force players to learn how to fight these harder bosses without cheesing it by just taking damage and grabbing rings over and over is cheapened as a result.  Also, you get three lives, but it's utterly pointless as failure doesn't actually send you back to the start.  You can continue from where you got to.  I didn't pay attention enough to figure out if the time of your failed attempts is included in your final time or not.

I feel it would've been better to place rings and/or a shield to the left of every start point, allowing the player to choose to go grab them if they need them at the cost of some time (it is a time attack mode after all).  Alternatively, keep it to one-hit kills the whole time BUT make it so you have infinite lives, the clock continues ticking, and bosses retain their current HP when you respawn.  I.e. There is no opportunity to cheese bosses but failure only results in a time penalty.

Sonic CD's final boss has always been too easy to cheese by just intentionally taking damage, hitting him during the mercy period, and then grabbing your rings.  Here, in a time attack context, it's literally the ideal way to play!

Beyond that, it's a shame that minibosses aren't included in S3&K - I know that'd make it a long play, but that's fine?  S3&K is a long game too!

And as a final nitpick, the music is kinda... wonky.  Some bosses start the boss music from the start, some pointlessly let you hear a few seconds of the zone music.  Emerald Hill plays Death Egg's theme - possibly an artifact of the boss rush mode for Sonic 2 possibly starting life as just a straight port of Boss Attack Zone from the mobile port's Time Attack mode?  And Collision Chaos never plays any boss music at all.  And on that note - I feel that might've been a better option, really.  For the sake of musical variety, rather than playing the boss theme, just play the normal zone music during each fight.

Using the Good Future for Sonic CD's boss rush felt a little off too.  Those are meant to be a reward for skillful play in the original game, so I think using the Bad Future aesthetic would have been more appropriate (and more fitting musically if my above suggestion of not having the boss music play was used).

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Team literally doesn't know how to program for Retro Engine whatsoever. That's why every new feature to 1/2/CD feels hacked together with scotch tape and gum. Or why mission mode almost never modifies the level layouts with proper level tiles and instead opts for boring grey blocks (because as we all know Forces is the textbook example of good level design).

The implementation of nearly all the new features is unpolished and feels untested. I sincerely don't understand why they didn't get Headcannon to co-develop Origins when Sega's own developers don't know how to properly do any of this.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 hours ago, Sean said:

Sonic Team literally doesn't know how to program for Retro Engine whatsoever. That's why every new feature to 1/2/CD feels hacked together with scotch tape and gum. Or why mission mode almost never modifies the level layouts with proper level tiles and instead opts for boring grey blocks (because as we all know Forces is the textbook example of good level design).

The implementation of nearly all the new features is unpolished and feels untested. I sincerely don't understand why they didn't get Headcannon to co-develop Origins when Sega's own developers don't know how to properly do any of this.

That was the most charitable I think I've ever seen you be to this collection lol.
But yeah, SEGA really should have just hired Headcanon for the whole thing. The only reason I bet they didn't is because HC is a small team and wouldn't have been able to meet their unreasonable deadline. Especially when they were just sweating with Sonic 3&K.

A real puzzle is why SEGA put some of their most inexperienced staffers in roles of leadership for this project. You look at these credits and you already see a bunch of people ill equipped to lead this kind of project.

• Thumbs Up 2

Stealth posted a photo of the whole team who worked on the new of version 3K:

Fingers crossed SEGA have brought them back to patch 3K and given them the opportunity to make available some of other content they had planned such as; &Knuckles Mode, Egg Reverie Super Sonic control for all characters, Max abilities (drop-dash, super peel-out & insta shield), All Penguinator badniks, Tails name showing as Miles:

Late to this but Katie re-confirmed a patch is coming in the next few weeks during today's livestream, @50:44

Unless this patch has Hdadcanon's name written all over it I have absolutely no reason to expect anything good to come from it. At most, it'll be a "this should've been DAY ONE" and at worst, it'll just break the game more.

The patch releases, it'll brick your switch. Do I believe this will happen? No, but dammit I can't get excited.

..Man, even I'm not that upset over Origins. The patch will probably be fine.

also when has a game update ever bricked a system

Never, afaik, but I'm just so fed up with SEGA's bullshit ability to fuck up the goodwill Sonic brings.

"Oh hey the movie's doing good-aaaaand Origins' has major issues. Fun."

Just...fuck off SEGA. 

I feel like you kinda need to chill tbh. You've been ranting a lot in this topic and I mean a lot, like have you actually been playing Origins or are you just getting upset because you need to be upset about Sonic? I've already expressed all my disappointments but don't really feel much desire to keep harping on about them, especially since I already put it down a few days ago and am waiting for the patch to drop.

• Thumbs Up 2