Awoo.

Sonic Origins | MT | General Discussion

Ryannumber1gamer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

PSA: This topic is now exclusively for the general discussion of Sonic Origins.

Any new information or announcements surrounding this game (new patches, substantial comments from developers etc) need to be made in a new, separate topic.

I have yet to actually play Origins, and to be fair I do wanna give it a try, but I've been seeing other people's playthroughs and experiences which have been really souring my view of Origins a lot.

To an unfair degree, now that I think about it.

You're right, I really do need to cut back and chill out. Kinda starting to think I might just have anger problems...should really get that checked. I'll refrain from ranting like crazy and spouting, being blunt, nonsense. Many apologies.

I feel like I just let other people's experiences cloud mine a lot, which isn't the right thing to do if you want to give a game a fair impression.

2 hours ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

I have yet to actually play Origins, and to be fair I do wanna give it a try, but I've been seeing other people's playthroughs and experiences which have been really souring my view of Origins a lot.

To an unfair degree, now that I think about it.

You're right, I really do need to cut back and chill out. Kinda starting to think I might just have anger problems...should really get that checked. I'll refrain from ranting like crazy and spouting, being blunt, nonsense. Many apologies.

I feel like I just let other people's experiences cloud mine a lot, which isn't the right thing to do if you want to give a game a fair impression.

Sonic fans will complain about all sorts of things. Things that are big and stuff that no one will never notice otherwise. I see a lot of the latter. It’s better to play stuff for yourself and form your own opinions. It’s easy to get caught in a hive mind or group thinking online.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

I have yet to actually play Origins, and to be fair I do wanna give it a try, but I've been seeing other people's playthroughs and experiences which have been really souring my view of Origins a lot

It's easy to see a game in a bad light when all that's shown are the negatives. These are old old genesis games that people already know inside and out, the only interesting thing left to post about them is how imperfect they are when ported.

Having actually played sonic origins, a lot of these problems are barely even noticeable even if you're looking for them. Worst scenario you get a bit clipped into the ground that gets fixed as soon as you jump or start moving again.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 7/20/2022 at 4:46 AM, TheOcelot said:

Stealth posted a photo of the whole team who worked on the new of version 3K:

Fingers crossed SEGA have brought them back to patch 3K and given them the opportunity to make available some of other content they had planned such as; &Knuckles Mode, Egg Reverie Super Sonic control for all characters, Max abilities (drop-dash, super peel-out & insta shield), All Penguinator badniks, Tails name showing as Miles:

You know, you look at the size of this team, and it's pretty clear these guys couldn't have managed to release this whole product in the timeframe SEGA wanted without some serious ethical violations. And they already pushed them pretty hard as is. 

That release date overall was just a gigantic mistake, and a poor attempt at SEGA to milk a marketing gimmick which they've overused and oversaturated since SA2's release. 

Let's just stop these anniversary games SEGA. You wanna do something on anniversary days, try some cosmetic DLC. 

11 minutes ago, VO.SUPER said:

You know, you look at the size of this team, and it's pretty clear these guys couldn't have managed to release this whole product in the timeframe SEGA wanted without some serious ethical violations. And they already pushed them pretty hard as is. 

That release date overall was just a gigantic mistake, and a poor attempt at SEGA to milk a marketing gimmick which they've overused and oversaturated since SA2's release. 

Let's just stop these anniversary games SEGA. You wanna do something on anniversary days, try some cosmetic DLC. 

If they wanted an anniversary title, the 31st anniversary doesn’t add up. It seems more a coincidence than anything. Also didn’t Sonic Team or some internal SEGA team do the majority of the compilation? 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, VO.SUPER said:

They... only worked on the S3K portion of Origins? And even then they handed in their work to let Sega implement it into Origins proper.

Some of you guys are reading way too hard into this shit. Like I don't understand the train of logic someone would have to conduct to see a picture of some team members hanging out and draw the conclusion that Sega is a bunch of slavedrivers.

• Thumbs Up 4

35 minutes ago, Sean said:

They... only worked on the S3K portion of Origins? And even then they handed in their work to let Sega implement it into Origins proper.

Some of you guys are reading way too hard into this shit. Like I don't understand the train of logic someone would have to conduct to see a picture of some team members hanging out and draw the conclusion that Sega is a bunch of slavedrivers.

I realize I forgot to give context for my post. 

I meant that in response to the rhetoric a while back that Headcanon should have led the project as a whole instead of relying on Sonic Team in this halves way.

And that, yeah the job would have been too much for the team in this current capacity as a whole. 

Three out of four games were already finished years ago. Sega could have let Headcannon update the games themselves while working with them on HE2 implementation. They could have also gotten multiple teams on board like PagodaWest and Christian Whitehead like they did with Mania. Because the alternative being that Sega handles everything in Origins by themselves didn't exactly work out in its favor.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

5 minutes ago, Sean said:

Three out of four games were already finished years ago. Sega could have let Headcannon update the games themselves while working with them on HE2 implementation. They could have also gotten multiple teams on board like PagodaWest and Christian Whitehead like they did with Mania. Because the alternative being that Sega handles everything in Origins by themselves didn't exactly work out in its favor.

I think the later would have been the best choice. It probably still wouldn't have great cohesion I imagine, but I feel there would have been a little more ingame consistency for accessing options and such. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well no need to imagine that last scenario since it's exactly what we got in the end.

1 minute ago, Sean said:

Well no need to imagine that last scenario since it's exactly what we got in the end.

Sorry, I meant the part with contracting Pagoda and etc. Not the part with ST taking over the whole thing. 

Oh right, my bad for misreading.

I don't get why Sega did Origins the way they did compared with Mania where they seemed okay with letting other people do the work for them (though from what I hear Iizuka had to lay some pressure on Sega to get them to back off a little). I kinda feel that Origins is a glimpse of what a Sega-developed follow-up to Mania would look like. It would have benefited the final product much more if there were more parties involved imo.

• Thumbs Up 1

Origins is ok at best...but it needs a bit more polish in some QoL areas and a a huge dlc update to bring it up to its rrp value i think.

Its not as good as the mobile games in many ways...eg simple things like a "clear" level select once complete are needed in 1,2, cd (and no, cheat mode should not be needed to do this) Knuckles should be in cd, and the coins need more value. The missions are ok but over too soon...and the story mode needs work...even a simple thing like carrying the score over between games is missing. Coins are too easy to earn, and max out too quickly. The bugs, well...!

For the price, its not a total travesty. But,more importantly its not Mania (Plus) either, and for many I think thats the issue. This is underlined by the fact that in the build up for it  we saw that the mania team / whitehead's ports were involved in this project and we expected brilliance but got mediocrity.  

1 hour ago, Sean said:

Oh right, my bad for misreading.

I don't get why Sega did Origins the way they did compared with Mania where they seemed okay with letting other people do the work for them (though from what I hear Iizuka had to lay some pressure on Sega to get them to back off a little). I kinda feel that Origins is a glimpse of what a Sega-developed follow-up to Mania would look like. It would have benefited the final product much more if there were more parties involved imo.

SEGA might have felt they could handle this project in house. I think it’s generally better to do things in-house rather than outsourcing. Also involving more parties might have made things harder to coordinate, less cohesive.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think a better partner would have been M2 and Headcannon if Pagoda wasn't available. M2 are at least good with their hacks, and could've probably made the menus clearer. And we already see that one person in the credits of Origins was a special thanks on the the SEGA AGES project, so SEGA must've been thinking along those line. 

Final Speed Strats video which has some good speed running tips:

Spoiler

:ruby:

3 hours ago, TheOcelot said:

Final Speed Strats video which has some good speed running tips:

Hide contents

:ruby:

I genuinely didn't know about that platform in labyrinth zone.

• My Emmerdoods 1

Man. Looking at Sonic Origins after seeing the amount of love put into the TMNT Cowabunga Collection is stinging especially hard right now. 

Sonic Origins, on paper, seemed to be the genuine article. But somehow they still managed to phone it in and fumble what was supposed to be an easy victory. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Looks like the tortoises have beaten the hare again, or hedgehog for that matter.

• Nice Smile 2
  • Chuckle 4
  • Absolutely 2

So there just was an update to version 1.004 on ps5, it seems to have fixed the wrong labeled music in the museum. I dint know about anything else yet, gonna try and use sonic & tails in sonic 2 next.

[EDIT] Tails respawns now!

Sonic 3's overall sound still sounds bad, I don't think work has been done on that front yet.

• Thumbs Up 5

Just now, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Were there patch notes included with the update? Curious to see what all was fixed

No, I can't find any.

Disappointing, but it's no big deal, someone's prob gonna document the changes either via sites like TCRF or on Youtube.

Glad to see they fixed the Tails bug, by the way!

• Thumbs Up 1

Stolen from somewhere

Added features to the “Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles” sound test
– Fixed track mismatches in the Museum for certain music tracks included in the Classic Music Pack
– Corrected an issue in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 where Tails goes off-screen and is unable to rejoin
– Additional bug fixes