Awoo.

Sonic Colors: Ultimate - Announcement Trailer

Sonictrainer

Colors usually has 2-3 decently lengthy 3/4 minute levels per stage I'm not sure where this idea of the game being ALL mini acts and not having full acts even came from and doubly so the idea of them changing that, it's a remaster not a top to bottom remake so the structure is going to stay the same with maybe some added mini levels with the new Wisp and whatever the Metal Sonic thing is 

• Thumbs Up 8

From the scans it seems like Ghost is just

Laser but it passes through walls.

So I guess they won't even need to readjust level design to fit it.

If Ghost can just clip thru level geometry then

a. Thats gonna be a pain to playtest / bug proof

b. Speedruns can get very interesting.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Soniman said:

Colors usually has 2-3 meaty 3-5 minute levels per level stage I'm not sure where this idea of the game being all mini acts and not having full acts even came from and doubly so the idea of them changing that, it's a remaster not a top to bottom remake so the structure is going to stay the same with maybe some added mini levels with the new Wisp and whatever the Metal Sonic thing is 

And you look up all the other Tropical Resort levels played by the same user as well. All 6 levels of that zone last less then 2 mins unless you just goof around. Some levels are even shorter then 1 min. People didn't pull the idea Sonic color levels are short outta nowhere just to be mean or some nonsense.

And most people are not expecting a remake here. However when the team behind this has done less then a impressive job on the remastering part, then hoping for other fun features to make up for it isn't surprising.

• Thumbs Up 2

MEH about Tails, the game is already easy though, it's gonna be interesting for kids, sure.

I'm still excited for this game though. It's a good game so at this point unless they really fuck it up I'm gonna stay happy about it, probably.

Anyway, I wonder why opt for this, co-op at least would have been more fun IMO.

18 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

All 6 levels of that zone last less then 2 mins unless you just goof around. Some levels are even shorter then 1 min. People didn't pull the idea Sonic color levels are short outta nowhere just to be mean or some nonsense.

You're right, but IMO the levels aren't really built purely for just blasting through anyway. The Super Sonic mode demonstrates this by locking the Wisps away, it's just not as fun if you don't goof around at least a little bit. And short levels aren't so bad unless it's Forces tier. Lowest bar in existence, true, but I didn't ever blink at the levels being short in Colours and Gens.

Speaking of which, I'll admit Generations is more interesting. Even though you'll still beat each level under two minutes (aside from...ironically, Planet Wisp, at least on your first attempt), there are more alternate paths, so there's reason to replay the levels or even explore...very awkwardly given it's a boost game but still. Colours does have some replay value, but it mostly relies on the Wisps and Red Rings for that versus there being a ton of paths. I want to say there's a few levels that try, but it's been a while.

So would it be cool to combine the Acts? Sure, in fact there are Generations mods that have done this (sadly I don't think they got around to doing each zone), which makes a lot of sense all things considered. In fact, I think it would be really interesting if you incorporated the smaller acts in a creative way into the level, somehow.

I can think of one issue though, which is that there are some cutscenes throughout the game that are between acts. I know nobody cares at all about Sonic Colours' story but bear with me here. For example, Tropical Resort would definitely be awkward since the scenes definitely feel like they're supposed to be in between levels. Maybe it could be a side mode similar to (or part of) the Egg Shuttle?

(Side tangent inspired by writing this post, I think the main thing I'd give Colours over Gens is that the ranking system is more fun. I mean, yes, you can cheese that shit with Wisps, but I found that fun in it's own way. "Whoa...number go up..." It's silly and, aside from a few levels/bosses where it was randomly hard, not exactly challenging, but I found fun in it versus Gens handing us those S ranks for beating the level.)

• Thumbs Up 7

2 hours ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

And you look up all the other Tropical Resort levels played by the same user as well. All 6 levels of that zone last less then 2 mins unless you just goof around. Some levels are even shorter then 1 min. People didn't pull the idea Sonic color levels are short outta nowhere just to be mean or some nonsense.

And most people are not expecting a remake here. However when the team behind this has done less then a impressive job on the remastering part, then hoping for other fun features to make up for it isn't surprising.

Haha, the video is clearly speed running (and also on the first world by an experienced player) - you can't argue using this buddy. =P

Soniman is right that most worlds contain 3 main acts of "main levels" that are usually at least 2-3 minutes in length if not more. With the other 3 being miniature acts or challenges (as well as the Virtual World levels as well). 

I'd argue that if you're a first time player there is actually quite a lot to do here, not to mention that the game encourages some exploration and alternate paths / routes to take thanks to the Wisps and red ring collectables - so there is some high replay value. The Red Rings in fact actually have decent placements in the level design and a purposeful endgame for those up to the challenge. 

There is quite a lot to do in Colours that I think people tend forgot about. Levels are shorter, sure - but they're deeper. Sonic Forces on the other hand is the game you want to look at for a level ending just as you feel you've begun. ;)

• Thumbs Up 6

I expected more from this remaster but that was because I thought it was being worked on by the original devs like Banana Blitz HD. It's a porthouse though so they're keeping it simple.

It's not a bad thing. Sonic Colors isn't really all that accessible unless you have the Wii series, so there's probably plenty of people who haven't played it yet. There just isn't much here inspiring me to double dip. The only new features seem either cosmetic or designed to make the game easier.

• Thumbs Up 2

I just realized the Tails head is bigger than the actual Tails. Okay...

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

I expected more from this remaster but that was because I thought it was being worked on by the original devs like Banana Blitz HD. It's a porthouse though so they're keeping it simple.

It's not a bad thing. Sonic Colors isn't really all that accessible unless you have the Wii series, so there's probably plenty of people who haven't played it yet. There just isn't much here inspiring me to double dip. The only new features seem either cosmetic or designed to make the game easier.

Unless Colours Ultimate was being made in-house by Sonic Team and remade entirely within the HE2, I have to be honest and say that the addition of the Jade Ghost, cosmetics, Rival Rush (whatever that ends up being) and Tails Assist is more than I was expecting personally. dgmw I'm not saying that this game goes above and beyond at all, cause the new features ain't all that and the visuals are woeful, but it's still more than I thought we'd see. I literally thought it would be Colours + HD/60 fps + filters. 

Kinda nice that SEGA chose to outsource this port actually. The series could always do with some more outside influence, and I'd rather not see Sonic Team divide their efforts between new Sonic games and repackaged ones. If they're going to be involved in any re-releases directly, they should be full-blown remakes. Maybe Blind Squirrel/another third party will be contracted to port Unleashed and other games in the future. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well fuck, now for the first time I actually want an Unleashed port, just so that it can be from these guys and take the maximum chaos route for fandom reception.

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Well fuck, now for the first time I actually want an Unleashed port, just so that it can be from these guys and take the maximum chaos route for fandom reception.

Unlike Colors which was on dated hardware so you could justify giving it a visual make over I don't even know what you could DO to Unleashed to make it look "better" I think it's better off just not being touched at all and be given the most standard remaster job possible 

• Thumbs Up 1

Blind Squirrel is doing a poor job in my opinion. I just can't agree with people who are saying this looks even 1% better. It doesn't. Shit, I work with photo editing everyday, I can tell you this is not an improvement. The over abundance of bloom and motion blur, the stupidly high contrast, this feels more like someone who doesn't know what he's doing and it's just throwing filters and effects over an image. A simple sharpen filter and widescreen support would've been enough if they REALLY don't wanna remake the game with the HE2. As other people have mentioned, you can get MUCH better results on a Dolphin emulator. Hell, there's stuff in this remaster that still uses ugly ass 2D flat textures, like the bubble gums in Sweet Mountain. Have mercy, Colors is easily one of the best looking Sonic games to date.

• Thumbs Up 9

22 hours ago, Soniman said:

Unlike Colors which was on dated hardware so you could justify giving it a visual make over I don't even know what you could DO to Unleashed to make it look "better" I think it's better off just not being touched at all and be given the most standard remaster job possible 

Unleashed could do with having a lot of its geometry re-textured. At times, the game stretches small 128x128 textures over huge surfaces instead of using higher resolution textures and tiling them. It's easy enough to get away with on old, sub-1080p screens and the game itself was blurry and ran at a sud-HD resolution with upscaling anyway. But it looks noticeably bad even in parts of Generations' Unleashed Project. And because of the way that the GI is handled, maybe some shadows and lighting would need to be re-rendered too because the shadows are laughably low res and you can see every pixel. But I'm not sure how that works. Either way, yeah. Unleashed doesn't need much work doing. It would benefit greatly from having some work done, however.

• Thumbs Up 4

i would pay the full 70 dollars if they just removed the battle music and rereleased it

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 5

There's a cool little WIP mod for Sonic Unleashed right now that's adjusting some variables with the Werehog to make the game a better experience overall. Faster movement speed, a slightly higher jump, no battle music, higher quality fur rendering (or lower quality for lower end PCs), higher exp gain, and more adjustments are being looked into.

There's a lot of incredibly minor shit that can be improved in that game and it wouldn't take too much work.

• Thumbs Up 2

I really want an Unleashed re-release but not like this please lol.

I'd take a straight port with unlocked framerate and resolution than a what Blind Squarrel's idea of a remaster is.

I don't care for the QOL improvements they're adding since Colors already gives you plenty of lives, the Jade Wisp doesn't look like anything to write home about, and in turn they aren't doing much to fix the original game's flaws so it's just extra fluff to me. And on top of that it just looks broken so far with missing effects/props and a steamy glasses filter.

7 hours ago, Soniman said:

There’s a few small changes they could make to Unleashed that would vastly improve the game:

1. Improve the performance

2. Don’t map the homing attack to the boost button

3. Tighten Sonic’s handling

4. Make the Dark Gaia boss fight more responsive to inputs

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Celestia said:

You're right, but IMO the levels aren't really built purely for just blasting through anyway. The Super Sonic mode demonstrates this by locking the Wisps away, it's just not as fun if you don't goof around at least a little bit. And short levels aren't so bad unless it's Forces tier. Lowest bar in existence, true, but I didn't ever blink at the levels being short in Colours and Gens.

Of course goofing around makes the game better, but the actual basic run time of a level can't be judged on how long a person messes around, or how many times they die, as that varies way to much to base anything on correctly.

9 hours ago, Son-icka said:

Haha, the video is clearly speed running (and also on the first world by an experienced player) - you can't argue using this buddy. =P

Sure I can, see my comment above. Furthermore you can't add random rules to the discussion such as level length can only be judged by somebody playing the level for the first time, who on top of it must not be a speed runner. The skill level & interest for playing is going to be different for every person playing. Meaning overall level time should be based on a straight forward play of it, not including deaths either because a person can die any number of times making it impossible to count.

Also I really feel people are messing the point of what I was saying. Honestly I could not care less if the Sonic Colors levels stay separated or merged. The point I originally was making is the fact nothing the dev team has done so far seems exciting or impressive to me yet, and I gave a list of stuff other people would had liked to see. Personally I mostly just hate the new lightening which is the biggest turn off for me, along with how it bothers me there are still certain 2D textures in a HD game that will stick out like a sore thumb which should had been upgraded to 3D models. I don't even need stuff like a playable Tails added, as nice as it would had been I agree. However playable Tails & Knuckles just are not interesting to me personally, I wanna see other playable characters in Sonic games.

9 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Unleashed could do with having a lot of its geometry re-textured. At times, the game stretches small 128x128 textures over huge surfaces instead of using higher resolution textures and tiling them. It's easy enough to get away with on old, sub-1080p screens and the game itself was blurry and upscale anyway. But it looks noticeably bad even in parts of Generations' Unleashed Project. And because of the way that the GI is handled, maybe some shadows and lighting would need to be re-rendered too because the shadows are laughably low res and you can see every pixel. But I'm not sure how that works. Either way, yeah. Unleashed doesn't need much work doing.

Yeah, everyone kinda forgets that when Unleashed came out, most of us had smaller TVs and our other games weren’t all that much sharper. And nowadays, most of us either watch gameplay on a smaller screen or play the day stages via Unleashed Project, which uses higher-res assets. In this era, where 720p already looks jaggy, Sonic Unleashed looks pretty darn rough on a TV. 

1 hour ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Furthermore you can't add random rules to the discussion such as level length can only be judged by somebody playing the level for the first time, who on top of it must not be a speed runner.

Why not? You did just that with the video to be fair. 😜

However...

The skill level & interest for playing is going to be different for every person playing.

I completely agree. 

...overall level time should be based on a straight forward play of it, not including deaths either because a person can die any number of times making it impossible to count.

And I disagree here. As you previously said, you'll never know how each individual player is going to run the course.

I suppose it's subjective on how you can approach this topic. As for me personally, I don't believe the courses are designed with (mostly) straightforward boost to win scenarios like Unleashed, Generations and Forces. The Boost areas / set pieces are always reserved for the 3D sections of course, but the meat of the game comes in the 2D gameplay, the replay for collectables, the multiple routes and the wisps for messing around about with. There are a lot of explorational options which are part of the fun (and this also makes the 2D sections a lot more interesting). 

I can say I certainly messed around in levels like aquarium park when I realised with how they approached Sonic's water traversing in this game. A ton of fun that - and it is a shame it's never been revisited.  

That's why from my perspective I've always leaned towards the average of 2-3 minutes for most course (even on a speedy run), and then they'll take longer if you're going for everything else on top. 

Also I really feel people are messing the point of what I was saying. Honestly I could not care less if the Sonic Colors levels stay separated or merged. The point I originally was making is the fact nothing the dev team has done so far seems exciting or impressive to me yet, and I gave a list of stuff other people would had liked to see. Personally I mostly just hate the new lightening which is the biggest turn off for me, along with how it bothers me there are still certain 2D textures in a HD game that will stick out like a sore thumb which should had been upgraded to 3D models. I don't even need stuff like a playable Tails added, as nice as it would had been I agree. However playable Tails & Knuckles just are not interesting to me personally, I wanna see other playable characters in Sonic games.

No worries, and if it doesn't strike you then that's also fair enough. I feel we've gotten more than I was expecting out of a HD remaster myself - however the new lighting is definitely an eyesore which is a real shame.

I always thought it would have been quite neat even if other characters were incorporated (as a tag team effort) to replace the wisps - like using knuckles instead the drill wisp, or Tails for glide, Sonic for Spike, Shadow for Laser etc... etc...

42 minutes ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

Sonic Unleashed looks pretty darn rough on a TV. 

By Jesus, yeah. A month or so ago I plugged my PS3 on and played a couple of hours on my 4K TV (which isn't all that big, it's 43'). Holy moly, the game is blury as all hell. Like, damn. Graphics were still pretty great, neverthless. I wonder, does the Series X does anything besides framerate? Does it make the game sharper? Because if yes, we already have some kind of remaster there xD

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Furthermore you can't add random rules to the discussion such as level length can only be judged by somebody playing the level for the first time, who on top of it must not be a speed runner.

I can't believe Nintendo would release a game with less than six minutes of gameplay. What has the industry come to?

(Please take this very seriously. This is not a joke at all. Any appearance of jest or fun is purely coincidental, and I am doing this specifically as a personal attack to anyone who disagrees with me, and you must treat this as an absolutely genuine argument with no flaws or subjectivity in any way whatsoever. All of my opinions are 100% legitimate, where as yours are all laughably fake. There is no room for interpretation whatsoever in this post. Not even a little bit. To claim otherwise is heresy, and also in violtion of my legal rights as an artist. I hope this clears things up.)

• Chuckle 7