Awoo.

Sonic Colors: Ultimate - Announcement Trailer

Sonictrainer

Okay I didn't mind the other remixes but yeah, these Sweet Mountain ones are awful. If the originals also weren't composed with live instruments, they certainly fooled me, but these sound midi as hell.  What on earth were they thinking?

I can see that loud, sharp, perfect homing attack sound effect getting old really fast too I gotta say.

• Thumbs Up 7

Don't really mind how Sweet Mountain looks visually I think it got off pretty easy all things considered.

Yeesh those remixes though, like you can tell they didn't really have any clear ideas on what they wanted it to sound like so they just made it sound different for its own sake rather than having an actual vision 

• Thumbs Up 2

Visually I again think the game looks great and I don’t have many problems with it I am a bit suspicious that the game is not running at 60FPS and is closer to 30FPS - But it could just be these videos messing with me. It would be nice to get some confirmation from Sega on this.

The music is trash, I agree. Literally a downgrade. Why on Earth would you trade in the orchestral / big band pieces for this? The soundtrack in Sonic Colours was one of the best things in the game, what made them think this needed to be touched?

Of course - if it’s optional or just additional music then fair dos - but I really hope it doesn’t replace some of the absolute wicked tracks. 

I’m dreading what they’re gunna do to Aquarium Park (my favourite of the bunch). 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Son-icka said:

Visually I again think the game looks great and I don’t have many problems with it I am a bit suspicious that the game is not running at 60FPS and is closer to 30FPS - But it could just be these videos messing with me. It would be nice to get some confirmation from Sega on this.

FWIW, product descriptions on store pages confirm that the game will run at 60fps on XB and PS (there's no mention of how the Switch version will run). It's likely that these videos are only recorded at 30 and have been compressed. 

• Thumbs Up 2

HOLY FUCK, WHAT IS THAT MUSIC. I want Sonic Colors, not a dying Sega Genesis soundboard. Eeeeeeeeeeesh.

• Thumbs Up 2

That horn sample is questionable. Just... really questionable. The piano, it's ok. But then the way they use those horns is ech.

I guess I can respect trying to give each act their own track, but at least make sure they're good tracks.

• Thumbs Up 1

How do you mess up this song that badly 

Like all the adrenaline is gone wtf. The electric guitar being missing does a big hit for it. Yikes, and it’s sega, they usually hit the mark pretty well on music and remixes. Like Colors of all games getting this music just feels so cursed, especially when previous remixes of colors songs we’ve heard throughout the series are usually pretty banger 

• Thumbs Up 3

....I kinda like this remix. The piano was a nice touch to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, AWild No.1 washed up gamer said:

....I kinda like this remix. The piano was a nice touch to me.

Listening again, i think the mix itself is... ok. But the way the sounds are mixed just feels off. Like some bits are too loud and grating to the point everything is off. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2cad1de93c4135883bb39ba32eca7adf.png

No fucking way they just put slide on X / left face button (and I guess boost on B / right face button).

Nooo way they messed that up, lmfao. You can't be real.

• Absolutely 4

Colors' soundtrack is good but it was never one of my favorites. I've grown to appreciate it more recently though so hearing this remix kind of made me wince a bit. I got Forces flashbacks. That fucking Green Hill music for Classic Sonic is playing in my head right now. It's not as bad as that but it was bad enough to remind me of it and that's not good.

Yeah, we're just drowning in a sea of more anger and bitter disappointment. Even for a remaster of a game that I don't particularly care that much about, it feels bad. It's not like I want it to fail just because it's not the one I would have wanted. Seeing you all so upset is making me upset to.

Origins is just another unimpressive collection. Just another one.

They're marketing is so bad that we're still, at this point, not supposed to know the name of the next game had it not leaked.

I don't know man. There's other factors to consider like how we keep being shown videos and screenshots of varying quality from different times of development to the fact that this wasn't done in-house. Even then that doesn't account for everything.

What is one to do after so long of waiting and wanting more out of the games but being at the mercy of a company that demands we settle for mediocrity? There's only so long I can distract myself with the comics and cartoons. 

I need to hurry and get a gaming PC so I can play all those fan games and scratch this itch. I've been plenty patient. I never engaged in any of the nonsense on Twitter squabbling about when news for the next game was coming for the past 4 years and I've been continuing to wait for something that'll wow me again for even longer.

I need something to latch onto. Maybe I'll go pop in Adventure 2 or Transformed or TSR or Heroes or something. 

It's a weird feeling wanting to distract yourself from Sonic by immersing yourself in Sonic but there it is.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is actually sad to see. In their attempt to do more than just upscale the original, they've ended up making it experience worse. Even as someone who was never on board with a Colors remaster, I really didn't see this coming and it really does frighten me.

Like, what are they doing with the music?! They went in and applied effort into changing these tracks yet somehow erased one of the few universally positive things about the game. It literally would've been better at this point if they just hadn't done anything at all there.

This should've been an easy win for them but the idea that there's so much doubt sown around basic things like button mapping is absurd. They need to have a feature to turn all this shit off and move the game as far back to the original as possible beyond lowering the actual res. Especially for those Tails tips, they 100% need a toggle.

The last fucking thing this series needs right now is another situation where people on mass criticize anything involving the side characters.

I'm just kind of in disbelief honestly. Didn't expect (or want of course) to be so down on this so soon. If Sega can't even get this looking good, what little hope I had for Rangers is walking out the door right now. Let alone a hypothetical Unleashed port which, for the first time in a decade, I might actually be ok with just waiting for either Xenia or RPCS3 to fully get things hammered out. Mind you, I still crave a PC port... but it needs to be just that at this point, a port.

My only thought at the end of all this is... maybe don't be afraid to delay this one? Again, even as someone who doesn't even like Colors... this isn't it. None of what we've seen this week from it has been it.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Too Many Rings 1

I feel like I can't go one day without hearing of some  minor thing that didn't need any fixing at all has been screwed up royally in a minor or major way.

I know Colors is far from the Fandoms favorite game but dammit it's one of MINE and I wanted something like this for years and to see it turn out like this breaks my heart. And I can't utterly BELIEVE nearly 20 years since SADX, the last proper port of a main 3D Sonic game and they STILL can't get this right. So...what? We either have the choice of never seeing other 3D games ported or having them remastered into a poorly upres'd nightmare? I can't get Sonic Heroes and it's nice clean colorful artstyle kept in tact without the graphics or lighting being screwed up in some way in order to make it modern?

I get to watch SUPER MONKEY BALL 1-Deluxe get a faithful respectful remaster lickety split while Sega can't port ONE game from ITS FLAGSHIP FRANCHISE without rendering it unplayable, delaying it and STILL having it look like this? It's fucking insanity, this is how you want to bring in the new batch of Sonic games after a 4 year hiatus? Oi vey 

• Thumbs Up 5

22 minutes ago, Soniman said:

I get to watch SUPER MONKEY BALL 1-Deluxe get a faithful respectful remaster lickety split while Sega can't port ONE game from ITS FLAGSHIP FRANCHISE without rendering it unplayable, delaying it and STILL having it look like this? It's fucking insanity, this is how you want to bring in the new batch of Sonic games after a 4 year hiatus? Oi vey 

I think not knowing the answer to this question is easily the most frustrating thing about all this. It wouldn't make it right but a lot of the brain ache I'm going through would be quelled if I could, at the very least, understand why they seem to only treat their flagship franchise like this. Everybody loves Yakuza right? They didn't fuck with Atlas and get them to start making Kinect games instead of Persona. 

Super Monkey Ball gets a huge ass collection of 3D games right after an underwhelming same old, same old collection for Sonic is announced.

I just want to know why. Who or what is responisble for this? Even if things don't change, having an answer would grant me a little piece of mind.

They take all this those things like the music, visuals or mechanics that are completely fine as they are and put random stuff into the background, change the lighting completely, overhaul the hint system, make remixes of perfectly great songs, basically just alter random aspects of the game for no good reason other than the sake of changing things...

but then they take the "A is jump, B is Boost" Button Layout of the original that really only ever made sense in the standard Wiimote Nunchuk combination where B is on a trigger, and instead of using the layout that literally every other game in the Boost formular uses...
they kept it.

I honestly don't know what they are doing. I'm trying to find a reason for, trying to understand why they keep some things but completely overhaul other things from a design standpoint, but it honestly just feels like they rolled the dice and started to change random stuff with no rhyme or reason.

And it's not even all negative. I like the Homing Attack mechanic where you get Boost if you time the your button presses correctly. I think Tails helping you and thus giving him some role in the gameplay is also a neat idea. But it's burried between changes that honestly just seem like they just weren't able to make things look properly sometimes.

All I ever wanted is Colors with a proper button layout on other consoles. Basically like dolphin emulation but... y'know, ported and official. But instead I'm getting a game where I'm scratching my head half the time on why they kept this thing and why they completely altered the look of another. There's clearly effort and work sometimes, but it all just seems misplaced and random and applied to areas that really didn't need much changing, while other other areas just didn't get the touch-ups they needed on HD consoles.

I just... don't understand how they're handling this project. At all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Every new video for this remaster version of the game still looks bad to me. Pretty disappointing. This is no "Ultimate Edition" ...besides a few bits & bobs this is mostly just a flat downgrade far as I see it. I would say they should just bite the bullet & delay the game further in order to improve it. But we know they won't, and even if they did I doubt they would actually improve much of anything at all.

10 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Just noticed at 41 seconds, the three rainbow rings he jumps through are seemingly the original design with the original sound effect? No spring noise mixed in.

31 minutes ago, PickleBrows said:

Just noticed at 41 seconds, the three rainbow rings he jumps through are seemingly the original design with the original sound effect? No spring noise mixed in.

Huh, strange. You're right about them having the original design, but they do still play the spring sound effect on top of the rainbow ring sound effect. 

Nope, Shaddy is right below. They're still the newer design, but it's just a bit difficult to see with the action on screen.

• Thumbs Up 1

No, they definitely still have the little black thingies with arrows on the sides.

Frankly it's appalling that they would dare add those things and I am therefore cancelling my pre-order.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

That remix is trash, and also I would like to add, some people have pointed out that in Sweet Mountain, Sonic seems to be affected by the lightfields, as he has this orange tint on him.

If you pay close attention, he has the orange tint in the inside shots as well, when he's in the grey tunnels, so that's very likely to be just a palette kind of thing, like SA1 did it, every stage has some form of faked static GIA, and that's it for the whole stage, wheres in Colours OG it was dynamic just like it was in Unleashed/Generations.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think the wii version will remain the "ultimate" version. There is nothing in this port that I really like except for the trophy support, which is currently the only reason why I will get this...oh well.

As someone whos not even a fan of Colours, I cant work up the energy to gloat about it being butchered. Just when you think Sega have found a new low, they just go deeper. Its honestly pitiful at this point.

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

Huh, strange. You're right about them having the original design, but they do still play the spring sound effect on top of the rainbow ring sound effect. 

Nope, Shaddy is right below. They're still the newer design, but it's just a bit difficult to see with the action on screen.

1 hour ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

No, they definitely still have the little black thingies with arrows on the sides.

Frankly it's appalling that they would dare add those things and I am therefore cancelling my pre-order.

Ah full points guys. I went back to check with my headphones and a closer look and yeah they're the same as the others we've seen so far. 

My thinking is that they MAYBE wanted to have it be more obvious in their design that they propel you forward? The plain hoop shape doesn't really convey this very well. Notice that the orange hoops have also received the same redesign. It'd also be benefitial in the more explorative areas being able to tell which direction they'll fire you in before jumping into them. 

The spring noise is still a bit daft.