Awoo.

Sonic Colors: Ultimate - Announcement Trailer

Sonictrainer

Yup, as per previous I am liking what I see. 

Also, They can say 60FPS and 4K all they want - what I want to know is how the SWITCH version runs. 

I need to know before I preorder. I personally want this on switch… but I’m not going to dilute my enjoyment for a version that may run worse on inferior hardware. Being a remaster technically it should run the same across all platforms, buuuuut….

3 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Looks like it's not a reward for getting 100 rings but a special ring that's worth 100 rings and gives you invincibility. Which...I mean it's not going to hurt anything but feels like kind of an arbitrary addition.

Yeah, Sonic had 64 rings which jumps up to 164 as soon he picks up the "100 count ring".

I took a screenshot which shows the Ring. It has "100" in the middle. Not sure if it's slightly larger than a normal size ring.

1 hour ago, charmsb said:

I believe it was the composer himself who clarified on twitter that the original soundtrack is toggleable. Either that or someone else official said that. 

I hope so. Most of the remixes we've heard so far sound good-slighty better or weaker than the OST, but not including the music from the original release would be such a shame.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is looking MILES better, and I hope SEGA basically used the final build, because I'm happy with what I saw. Really wish they'd mention if the Switch version runs at 30 FPS or 60 FPS.

I still don’t think I’ll be buying this if there’s no way to disable that irritating homing attack sound effect. It actually hurts my ears. 

I like it but it's just the first spotlight? What else is exactly to focus on? I know there was online play feature leaked somewhere, and they haven't talked about that, so... plus, they aren't showing GameLand yet. I'm also hoping for some sort of surprise.

It's not what I dreamed of in terms of new content, but I like these changes, yeah even Tails Save and Jade Ghost which are made for newcomers, it makes sorta sense, and the game actually looks good now, I'll take it. Still, not buying it on Switch, not EVER.

But that Metal Sonic model is kind of lazy lol

I assumed the 100-rings were there as a substitute for life monitors, since the game doesn't have lives anymore; but if they're just sitting there in the open, then...?  Well, maybe it's just this one as a tutorial.  Just in general, even if removing lives already makes the game "easier", it alters the balance in the sense that certain capsules and acquiring a hundred rings no longer have their original reward; so some new bells and whistles need to be added to preserve that sense of an incidental special achievement.

I honestly think Aquarium Park actually pops more in Ultimate than the original. Also, I can't find the information, but apparently SoA during one of the Sonic streams confirmed you can switch between the OG and remixed tracks

• Thumbs Up 4

For whatever it's worth, Play-Asia's taking preorders for the Remix OST. Apparently scheduled for release around about October 4th. I'd post the link but I'm not sure that's OK?

• Thumbs Up 3

15 hours ago, Strider_Xhaiden said:

For whatever it's worth, Play-Asia's taking preorders for the Remix OST. Apparently scheduled for release around about October 4th. I'd post the link but I'm not sure that's OK?

Thanks for the heads-up, just located it on their website and got a pre-order in :)

2 hours ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

Why does Sonic's mouth in Ultimate still look so cheap?

This could be referring to both Smash Ultimate and Colors Ultimate and the answer in both cases is that it's likely a literal texture and not part of the model.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hands-on impressions have come out. They've collectively decided "Yup, it's Sonic Colors remastered for modern consoles." And unfortunately, the Switch version is indeed 30 FPS.

None of the impressions show anything new (in fact, I think they use outdated footage), but I did notice that there is a sound test in the game.

Edited by NoKaine
  • Thumbs Up 3

Well, I’m glad that a lot of these previews and interviews finally (officially) clarified the frame rate of the Switch Version at last to be 30FPS. 

It’s disappointing as I really wanted this on Switch, but at least I can finally place a preorder for the game on PS4.

Such a shame as it didn’t need to be this way. But Nevermind, console purchase preference doesn’t change that I’m still hyped for the rest of this awesome game.

EDIT: Watching IGN’s uploaded preview video compared to the other outlets displays the most optimal performance show off of the game yet.

And Gosh darn it’s very pretty and super smooth, don’t know what we were worried about previously. 

… saying that the Neon laser is still dull, but meh.

My only other real concern is this worrying niggle that the original soundtrack isn't in the game as an optional legacy toggle… but with their music track record SEGA wouldn’t be dumb enough to obliterate one of the best parts of the game, from the game… riiiight?

• Thumbs Up 2

Game is looking a lot better now. Video also went up showing customization and those associated menus (a lot more player icons to choose from).

Although, there only being 6 rival rushes is kind of disappointing. Maybe they stitched together the original act 1/2s for super long races per world?

Screenshot_20210802-225707.png

They also used the sonic unleashed super sonic render in the options screen. Not a problem at all, I just kinda wish they made a new one or used a colors render (though it could have been used in the og, I never managed to unlock ss as a kid)

• Thumbs Up 2

I like that we have cosmetics, but they could've been a bit more interesting. If I'm being honest, I think some of them look cheap, but I will say that I'm happy that Sega added it and that they should do it in the future. This is something they did very well in Forces. It's nice to see Super Sonic back and I think the extra content is pretty good overall. They could've added more/improved level design but tbh at this point it doesn't bother me that much anymore. We'll see where it goes.

• Thumbs Up 2

I can forgive the lack of depth in the cosmetics since it's a remaster and I appreciate more that they didn't abandon one of Forces' genuinely great ideas because of its reception.

And mind you that it's because of SEGA that Sonic's Smash colors are all different variants of blue, so I'm surprised they were able to get away with changing his shoe colors.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, it would've been cooler if Sonic had actual skins like Crash 4, or at the very least, a lot of shit to customize him like the avatar Forces. Like a "Gamer" hat. Now that's neato. 

• Thumbs Up 5

3 hours ago, Jango said:

Well, it would've been cooler if Sonic had actual skins like Crash 4, or at the very least, a lot of shit to customize him like the avatar Forces. Like a "Gamer" hat. Now that's neato. 

In a series like Sonic where most male characters are naked I guess they couldn't think of anything to really "reference" through costumes and they didn't wanna waste time making all original outfits for a port of an old game. Something to hope for in Rangers though I guedd

But Sonic always wears costumes in various artworks. Sonic in a tuxedo. Tell me you don't wanna run through Planet Wisp all suit up?

I can understand not wanting to make entirely new assets for a remaster, but why not use some of the OC shoes from forces? Hell, by doing that they already get access to the soap shoes even. Maybe some of their hats too. Forces alone could've given them a lot of customization material to work with.

There are special costumes and skins in Forces mobile, I don't see why not here to be fair.

New trailer:

They could have used a better remix for the trailer. This Sweet Mountain remix sucks.

Not sure if any of the footage included new level design-new areas which can be reached whilst phasing with the Jade Wisp?

Perhaps there will be a Spotlight #3 trailer about the Metal Sonic races.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'll always be bitter they didn't change the blue wisp to just have instantly on the fly switching because that would've been interesting and made for decent puzzle platforming but nope still takes forever just to switch blocks, blah 

• Thumbs Up 2

Some new footage of sweet mountain act 1, game looks MUCH better now. Sonic isn't a lightbulb which is wonderful. White wisp capsules still look weird though, probably due to using 2d images instead of actual models for the wisps (looks weird when inside a 3d model). Plus we hear the remix again.

My only major complaint, is the blur effect when boosting. I don't know if it was that bad in the original but personally it hurts my eyes a bit.