Awoo.

Sonic Colors: Ultimate - Announcement Trailer

Sonictrainer

2 minutes ago, CrystalMaelStorm said:

I am so going to buy this! Loved Sonic Colors.

Though now that Metal Sonic can be raced against, they should include Stardust Speedway from Sonic CD in this. Why? So we can recreate the famous Sonic CD race with Metal Sonic.

Again?

I like the redesigned rainbow rings.

coloursoldrings.png

coloursnewrings.png

That's how uninteresting and basic Colours Ultimate looks to be right now. I'm also not convinced that Sweet Mountain looks any nicer in Ultimate. It's got more advanced visual effects like bloom and depth of field, but the actual end result looks much worse. The lighting is flat and contrast turned up way high, so the bloom effects stand out in a really bad way whilst the rest of the colours look painfully washed out. This gets worse the more I look at it. 

The first screenshot is, obviously, running in Dolphin at an HD resolution. It looks much nicer than Ultimate, which is shameful.

EDIT: Holy shit I just noticed how awful the shadows on the background (directly behind Sonic) look in Ultimate compared to Dolphin. And the shitty lighting/bloom mean that you can't see the metal framework in the background (level with the middle rainbow ring) at all. How has this awful looking port been allowed to pass?

• Thumbs Up 8

Just now, Marcello said:

Again?

Maybe it was not clear, but either way...

I was just kidding around. Nothing more, okay?

I might wait and hold off on this one, mainly because of the SOAH leaks saying the game was unplayable. As much as I'd like to get it on the Switch for portability, the rerelease doesn't look like there was much effort in it and it actually looks worse than an emulator.

Oh so one other thing, Colours Ultimate is being handled by Blind Squirrel Games in California. Unsurprising that the port has been outsourced, because it means that Sonic Team can focus squarely on Sonic 2022. I'm not familiar with BSG, personally. Their website lists lots of previous ports that they made, including Borderlands, Bioshock and Mass Effect. Does anyone have any opinions on their history? Colours Ultimate literally looks hideous, but it's including some new things so I'm still interested to see how it pans out in the end.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Okay, so the colors in the trailer suck, but the screenshots seem nice. Any hope that the trailer uses old work in progress footage?

So basically what we have is Sonic Colors DX. Awesome.

Do we have confirmation of the EGS exclusivity?

I don't have a segue into saying this, so I'll just say it: The boxart/icon is awful. If that's what you get, just use the original. Yeesh.

25 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

coloursoldrings.png

coloursnewrings.png

That's how uninteresting and basic Colours Ultimate looks to be right now. I'm also not convinced that Sweet Mountain looks any nicer in Ultimate. It's got more advanced visual effects like bloom and depth of field, but the actual end result looks much worse. The lighting is flat and contrast turned up way high, so the bloom effects stand out in a really bad way whilst the rest of the colours look painfully washed out. This gets worse the more I look at it. 

The first screenshot is, obviously, running in Dolphin at an HD resolution. It looks much nicer than Ultimate, which is shameful.

EDIT: Holy shit I just noticed how awful the shadows on the background (directly behind Sonic) look in Ultimate compared to Dolphin. And the shitty lighting/bloom mean that you can't see the metal framework in the background (level with the middle rainbow ring) at all. How has this awful looking port been allowed to pass?

How do you all get these comparison images so fast? lol

8 minutes ago, Jack-al said:

Okay, so the colors in the trailer suck, but the screenshots seem nice. Any hope that the trailer uses old work in progress footage?

Or the footage could be Switch footage? 

37 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

More screenshots.

lDK2vE34voxEkeVtHV-phiMC92C2iDAT8H6yv02pFd9yQ9IerkylXdQigbM0WdB8NYkZXBBjkCUasyI83DBaHHjQDJ18D3Efipcry16yFuplRKVIVv3JgmQQzpDY7dUlBqF_JNnB

eimqstbiUGg1ff6MUPKIXSHDKLP28ybD_it5XwBoR7546KtESrFcruHim7nohwIAV8VDKcUgFfGxc4FZeGIT87fecCSTSZQqglebDi-pWskscf_oCAadIadKmYxFsc7v6EBI9zQTSCYriM9iAaTZBtHCwHY6nJZacy9DP5T6XQY5KQfRqT_QUyoGWgzKQibt-GaWAEyOx0OhGw2DBxo_kJRjrzv_CgJ03Ho_u7BfBSNKBTp2Ma4RLf1gLsK6y4cYI9rbCWEGOc8NpS5w3v0sFs7mfXXoFnDVMXrtyi7gtG89h7_c9wzPisDrPv2-Djje9cpoc29OYixISnHZut6DZYCcT8cGOUkZBCHgHw8MuH6IE-oDAGyG0rC5AE37TmWVTcNkH3PAC-c7WVjK7vV_sk9OsD5lpgtsvBuuxxM98RRumu3-FL-lfcjwefDnmXfhR5x7lZvZFrhoEe_Ue29Yg1H53omLRE1ONUbZt0GefbJVlvd9gR-XoPdwYKVnNCsi773KkfbH2fxl5ZmiZjO2xykJFGEN8BrZ

Yeah. Looks like Sonic Colors to me.

Yeah OK what the hell everything looks fine here??? What's going on in the actual video?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Marcello said:

I don't have a segue into saying this, so I'll just say it: The boxart/icon is awful. If that's what you get, just use the original. Yeesh.

How do you all get these comparison images so fast? lol

I literally just took a screenshot of Sweet Mountain Act 5 from YouTube. It's a scripted camera in-game and not something exclusive to the trailer, but I was surprised that I got almost a perfect match on my first attempt lol. 

• Promotion 1

I dunno. I think it all looks fine. Perhaps I'd be more open to picking it apart if I cared more about the game... but even then I doubt it. The only thing that stands out is how strangely dark Tropical Resort looks. 

Oh yeah, and the box-art isn't very good. Sometimes less isn't more. It's just less.

It sounds like they are a standard B-team porting studio; like the ones who made all of the PS3 collections of PS2 games and who were called in the do mop up work a decade or so ago. If they keep getting work in that avenue instead of being relegated to a support studio it at least suggests that their efforts are "good enough," if nothing else. Sounds like Mass Effect LE was received well.

31 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Oh so one other thing, Colours Ultimate is being handled by Blind Squirrel Games in California. Unsurprising that the port has been outsourced, because it means that Sonic Team can focus squarely on Sonic 2022. I'm not familiar with BSG, personally. Their website lists lots of previous ports that they made, including Borderlands, Bioshock and Mass Effect. Does anyone have any opinions on their history? Colours Ultimate literally looks hideous, but it's including some new things so I'm still interested to see how it pans out in the end.

As someone addressed in the other topic they have a pretty consistent track record of fucking up the lighting in their remasters, so that's why some screenshots look a bit....bad.

Other areas look fine though, this is actually a better effort than usual from them from what I can see.

• Thumbs Up 3

Looking at those screenshots I grabbed is reminding me all over again about that claustrophobic feeling I get when it comes to Colors. Everything feels so compacted and squished inward to be stuck on this 2-D plain and the 3-D parts are extremely few and far between. I can't feel like I'm on an adventure if it feels like I'm suffocating. I'd very much like an open 3-D game again, one of these days. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm weirdly into the darker looking Tropical Resort on paper despite how rough it looks in other aspects. The contrast with all the neon stuff could be cool. Except it's hard to tell if it's intentional or not given other levels more or less seem to look the same at a glance. Very strange.

41 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

coloursoldrings.png

I seriously feel like you're exaggerating the atrociousness of this port for the non Tropical resort levels. It looks good, albiet differently stylized in areas. I thin the emphasis on bloom does work well for the Starlight carnival and Sweet Mountain just looks gorgeous though not particularly standing out, but to say this is atrocious as a whole, nah. The only part I'd claim is atrocious is Tropical resort, albeit I wouldn't say for the emphasis on bloom.

If Rival Rush mode is a new campaign a la Bowser's Fury, color me interested. I'm really hoping for some new content, considering as it has been said Colors isn't really a game with cool 3D segments.

13 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Yeah OK what the hell everything looks fine here??? What's going on in the actual video?

Sweet Mountain and Tropical Resort still look really dark in those pictures. And check out all the visible seams going on here:

lDK2vE34voxEkeVtHV-phiMC92C2iDAT8H6yv02p

Yeah, the game does look bad, graphically. I would say this could improve, but I am not sure how that could even change in the future. I just hope this doesn't become another Sonic 06 or something.

1 minute ago, Blue Blood said:

Sweet Mountain and Tropical Resort still look really dark in those pictures. And check out all the visible seams going on here:

I really wish you didn't point that out, now I can't look at those pic-a-tures.

4 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Spoiler

lDK2vE34voxEkeVtHV-phiMC92C2iDAT8H6yv02p

Whoah at those seams. Sheesh, now that is botched. Those weren't always there were they?

Check out this wallpaper from the anniversary site.

XA5dGuG.jpg

Weren't we just talking about Sonic with a fur texture last night? He looks so out of place next to the obviously-reused Tails render.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic's always had a fur texture, it's just never been super pronounced looking and varied with the lighting on the renders. Like even as recently as TSR there's examples like that:

latest.png

The style of that Sonic in the wallpaper looks way different from the usual Sonic Team renders though. I wonder if they have a new staff artist for these things.

• Thumbs Up 3

So I’ll probably get this for PS4. If it’s cheap I might also pick it up for switch, idk. 

The game looks...not all that appealing to me as far as the lighting, and even some of the textures and models. The lack of any substantial new features worth a damn kinda disappoints and makes this feel a bit slap dash, but I only ever borrowed colors wii from a friend for a few days way back in 2010, so like, guess I may as well get it to experience this in the “definitive” way, cosmetics and all.

wonder if people on twitter have started making the obligatory comparisons to skyward Sword HD yet.