Awoo.

Sonic Colors: Ultimate - Announcement Trailer

Sonictrainer

"Life in Sonic's world"

In the one game that doesn't take place on Sonic's world at all.

• Thumbs Up 5

"pre-order" player icons are a lame as hell incentive at the best of times but being able to change your lives icon for no reason? Is ANYBODY wishing for that? 

The save file menu is hardly exciting but it makes sense that it's YOUR save file, and they're throwing in a teeny bit of customisation for fun. If there's online leaderbords in the game, especially for the EGG Shuttle then I think these icons might come into play here as well. In which case, player icons as a pre-order bonus makes a bit more logical sense: Personalising your player identity online.

I'm very much in the camp that either tails is playable, or these glove and shoe skins for Sonic will give him altered abilities and the life icon is one way of communicating "hey, you have a custom moveset equipped".

2 hours ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

Yeah but it has these dead black eyes. I think it’s some kind of Tails costume tbh

It's in the same style as Sonic's 1-Ups and Life icon in Generations:

p0Hl4dq.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Apparently the trailer was old footage, and it looks better in more recent screenshots

Why they'd show old ugly shit is beyond me. I don't get Sonic Team.

1 hour ago, Guy Strong said:

Apparently the trailer was old footage, and it looks better in more recent screenshots

Why they'd show old ugly shit is beyond me. I don't get Sonic Team.

The contrast and the lighting are still way off. Tropical Resort is supposed to have a blue-ish hue to it, and it still doesn't look correct.

Yeah. For graphics, I would've just converted the game to HD, used Generations' models, and leave it at that if I wasn't putting much effort. If I was putting the most effort I could in, I'd use an AI upscaler like in the ESRGAN mod for SA1 and SA2. The lighting's fine as is on the Wii version.

Just rewatched the trailer in HD. It actually looks inferior to the Wii version, aesthetic wise, I originally thought it was just the stream quality. It's way too dark and the lighting/particle effects don't pop all that much. Come on Sega, it's called Sonic Colors.....

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I'm passing on this one. Everything I'm seeing looks more like a downgrade than an update. Even if they make Tails playable, which I still have my doubts. I like Colors, but these ones do not feel so right.

If Tails is playable, it is extremely odd to leave him out of the announcement trailer. That'd be a pretty big deal and get a lot of people excited to be able to play as him. They could just be waiting to drop a trailer with it towards release or something. I can see them not wanting to rework cutscenes for Tails though, so I could imagine them just blocking him off from certain acts and not allow him to fight bosses like they did in Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy. I do wonder if they'll give Tails a boost, or a move similar to it though. Maybe he'll just run on the ground and when he fills up his boost meter, he just flies when pressed instead and somehow goes faster than on foot? 

It's something that sounds like it's way out of the scope of a remaster. You'd have to implement an entirely new set of physics and animations and somehow make it to where he doesn't somehow just completely break a game that was never made for him in mind entirely.

I'm not saying something isn't going on with the Tails icon; something clearly is. But until we get ACTUAL CONFIRMATION, we shouldn't just leap to the conclusion that "oh my god, Tails is playable".

After all, we've had an entire decade's worth of new Sonic games that could have potentially had a playable Tails, and Sonic Team never took that opportunity. Why would SEGA spend the effort retooling a decade old Sonic game to implement him there?

12 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

SEGA do all sorts of unpredictable shit. You're trying to predict the unpredictable here. The most straightforward reason a life icon changing to a different character in a game is... That you're playing as a different character. Simple.

It's like Only Sonic Allowed PTSD or something. We see something where the most logical conclusion for it being there is being doubted and in it's wake are a bunch of explanations for it that make far less sense but do, somehow, still sound plausible because of how weird SEGA is. I love being a Sonic fan but at the same time I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I like pain apparently.

• Thumbs Up 4

26 minutes ago, Winston said:

If Tails is playable, it is extremely odd to leave him out of the announcement trailer.

Since they appear to be going the Nintendo Durect route with these Sonic Central videos, assuming they're frequent enough, they're probably looking to go for more of a drop feed method, slowly building up each major game project bit by bit.

• Thumbs Up 3

30 minutes ago, Winston said:

If Tails is playable, it is extremely odd to leave him out of the announcement trailer.

They left other things out of the announcement trailer; we didn't know about the jade wisp or races against Metal Sonic being added until later, and while they technically show off some of the customization options they really don't draw any attention to it. If they are adding a playable Tails, they could easily be saving it for a future "okay here's all the cool new stuff" trailer.

20 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

It's something that sounds like it's way out of the scope of a remaster. You'd have to implement an entirely new set of physics and animations and somehow make it to where he doesn't somehow just completely break a game that was never made for him in mind entirely.

They don't need new physics if he's basically just a reskin.

The only idea that's coming to mind about a lot of these decisions is that this trailer was made under the assumption that this shit wasn't going to be leaked or that it'd be the literal "announcement" of the mere existence of a Sonic Colors Ultimate.

So the thing that was supposed to blow you away was the mere existence of this remaster and then they'd advertise all that other stuff later... which is still not that good a move, if it's true.  Unless Tails has his own mode and his own trailer special for him coming than it probably should have been announced in this one. Save some other cool stuff for a later trailer or give us something a bit more than "It's in HD and you can change Sonic's shoes".

Also, from now on, they should probably make presentations and trailers under the assumption that it's already been leaked since they can't keep a lid on it. I'm glad they can't because a lot of this stuff is stuff we probably should know by now. Like the goddamn name of the next game. We know it now but we weren't going to before and that's dumb.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

The only idea that's coming to mind about a lot of these decisions is that this trailer was made under the assumption that this shit wasn't going to be leaked or that it'd be the literal "announcement" of the mere existence of a Sonic Colors Ultimate.

Let's be honest. It's norm for companies to go about revealing stuff as planned, with or without leaks. 

1 hour ago, Jovahexeon The Undyne said:

Let's be honest. It's norm for companies to go about revealing stuff as planned, with or without leaks. 

I mean, yeah. That's why I suggested that as a possible reason. 

10 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

They don't need new physics if he's basically just a reskin.

Okay, but then you'd still be doing an entirely new set of animations, because it's not like you can just re-use the same ones for Sonic. Tails's physique is completely different, he's shorter with shorter little kid limbs, not to mention the butt-propeller he has attached to him. This is something that a ton of Generations modders always had a ton of difficulty when it came to their takes of a playable Tails in Generations. Plus, let's be honest here, what's the fun of playing Tails if you can't fly?

I'm not saying that it's impossible that they somehow implemented a playable Tails, but that's not the sort of thing that I think of necessarily when it comes to modern era remasters of 3D games: part of the whole incentive for SEGA to be doing this in the first place is that it's relatively cheap to do. After all; all the up-front development cost of making Sonic Colors to begin with has already been paid, they just need to bring the game to current gen audiences that might not have already played it.

That's why I think the Jade Wisp exists. It sounds like it's basically a glorified no-clip, and one thing these remasters like to do a lot is basically have cheat-codes built in to the game. It's something conceptually really easy to implement, plus hey maybe the fans can have fun with it by reaching areas they aren't supposed to. Or maybe they're having a hard time and let less skilled players skip the hard part: think of the Super P-Wing that Nintendo likes to put in a lot of Mario games.

That's the part where I come back to the Tails life icon and offer a couple viable explanations, that at least to me make a little more sense.

One thing that's been constantly brought up is that this could just be a UI customization feature, after all it seems to be one of the marketing focuses on Colors Ultimate is stuff like customizable skins and what-not. We see Sonic with different shoes, gloves, and even different boost effects. It could be that for all these screenshots that Famitsu just happened to use, that was the particular life icon they used.

But I think another thing that's been on my mind was that on, was that an anon on aawesomepenguin's tumblr blog posted this

https://aawesomepenguin.tumblr.com/post/652401147163951104/ive-heard-that-the-tails-icon-doesnt-actually

I've heard that the Tails icon doesn't actually mean you play as Tails, but instead indicates a new feature. It's called Tails Save, supposedly, and it replaces the lives system (now having unlimited lives). When you fall into a pit, Tails will get you out and put you nearby instead of you starting from a checkpoint, and you get a limited number of them, hence the counter. If you run out you restart from a checkpoint like normal.

And this to me also makes a lot of sense, after all why is it that in all these screenshots the life counter is at exactly one? Again, I don't think this is something that would necessarily be all that difficult to implement. You don't even need to necessarily implement Tails pulling you out of the bottomless pit, you could just have Sonic just teleport back to where you fell from. 

It's in line with the cheat-codey skin-swappy aspect of whatever expanded content could be in this, but it could also be reflective  of Sonic Team's changing philosophy of how lives should work. After all in Forces, we didn't have unlimited lives either, this could be a change directed by Sonic Team to approach a middle ground between both ideas.

There isn't a source to this, I haven't heard this mentioned anywhere else, but this makes a ton of sense to me.

Again though, I don't think that it's impossible that there is somehow a playable Tails. My thing is, is that it's super duper unlikely to be the case given the scope of what we're dealing with. I also think that Colors Ultimate has enough going against it right now, that I don't think it needs to have unreasonable expectations going against it as well.

I'd love to be wrong, but I think we need to temper our expectations, that way we don't get disappointed down the line.

• Thumbs Up 1

I totally understand the issues with graphics, in a lot of places there definatly seems to be some downgrades, I'll give the benefit of the doubt considering this is something still in development. Besides the clear issues with bloom, I've noticed myself some particular texture downgrades and colouring issues, so when using the drill wisp in sweet mountain, the cake seems to missing a lot of texture details, the Wii version almost had a crumbly texture overlayed across the cake, that seems totally absent in this version thus far, and In Tropical resort the Welcome sign normally has a yellow and orange colour gradient, in Ultimate it seems to be completely yellow. These are of course very minor details, but nevertheless details in remakes are surely meant to be retained and improved upon in an updated version of the game?

Besides the graphical issues, assuming these things will be fixed. The quality of life features they seem to be adding to the game are truely fantastic. Colours, whilst easily one of my favourite 3D sonic games, it's relatively short in length. If tails is playable I'd be more than happy to play through the game again even if Tails is just essentially a reskin with no real character specific features (which seems most likely). The addition of the Jade wisp and potential new alternative pathways with regard of this seems really exciting, and frankly seems like an improvement that goes beyond what I ever would have expected in a re-release of this nature. New modes with Metal Sonic races, only seem to add to the value of the package and once again will likely serve the game well adding to its duration. Skins and cosmetic unlockables, also sound fun!

You also have to consider the benefits of the new platforms the game is coming to also. For one the Switch makes this game playable on the go and PS4/Xbox bring's with it Trophy/Achievement support for the first time (Not features some I'm sure are bothered about, but worth considering when trying to gauge the value of the package overall.

I think whilst there are issues (graphics for sure) I think this seems like a very compelling re-release that for the price is definatly for me going to be worth the money.

All I will say is that for PC players, I know how much Epic store exclusivity stings, and that is a real shame, people really should have the freedom to choose what client they use and prefer, this Epic store exclusive trend really does suck. As for the difference between Retail/Digital pre-orders too, I'm getting fed up of digital users getting exclusive content that isn't tied to the retail version, whether the content is worth it or not (i.e the player icons etc), much like PC gamers are forced in to using Epic, we shouldnt be punished by choosing a physical version over a Digital version, 

The "Tails Assist" rumor comes from a tester claiming that it's the new replacement for the lives mechanic on 4chan. It sounds like a legitimate explanation for what we're seeing.

image0.jpeg.jpg

Completely redundant given how forgiving Sonic Colors already is but I could see the team that brought us forces coming to the conclusion that an addition like that would be helpful.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Absolutely 2

As great as that sounds, unfortunately I doubt they’ll be removing the lives system.  Unless they pull a Crash 4 and give us the option of 2 difficulty settings where one has lives and the other doesn’t.  Seriously though, the lives system has overstayed its welcome in video games.  I was so glad when Rise of Lyric and Forces removed them.  Probably the most outdated video game mechanic ever.

The lack of lives will make such a big difference on the easiest Sonic game I'm sure...

Hmm.. I know most people say lives are an outdated concept these days, but in a way I can't agree fully.

I feel like it is fine for the default setting of a game to have lives, and then provide a setting for those who may need assistance. But in terms of a default setting, in the platformer genre lives add an extra stake and encourage players to make the most of their runs. If you mess up, then you just redo it with a better sense of what to come so you can have more lives by the time you get to a difficult section. Even better, if you can start over from the beginning of the level rather than the beginning of the game. Sonic Heroes did this IIRC. If you died, you just needed to try the level again rather than a whole game. 

But I know this is an unpopular opinion though and I think a lot of it is just personal bias from the type of games I play (predominantly RPGs). With games that had save points, if you die you just reload and have to redo everything you did until your last save. So it gives me a sense of thrill. 

To be clear, I am not one of those "games need to be hard because they hold your hand nowadays" people (My childhood was mostly PS1/PS2 anyways, not the hard games 80s and early 90s). I just think even kids get a kick/dopamine boost out of having some type of risk or consequences that adds some stakes to losing.  But again I know this is unpopular.

• Thumbs Up 7

I must admit, I have mixed feelings on this. I'm a Sonic fan but I never owned a Wii or a Wii U, so this is a game I've never been able to play. I hear Sonic Colours is a good game. But I also hear it is quite short. And it doesn't help that as one of the four boost titles, the other three titles are all pretty cheap to buy, Generations goes on sale on Steam for like £1.50 quite often. So £35 for the remaster, it does feel a bit pricey. I know it takes money and time to remaster a game, but the extra stuff just feels rather tacky. I mean, unless I'm mistaken, the "Metal Sonic mode" basically sounds like a time trial mode, and the rest sounds like fluff.

I think I will wait on this til a bit of a price drop. To me, I feel like I'd be far more interested in a compilation re-release than anything. Like say, pair Colours with a re-release of Secret Rings and Black Knight, basically a Wii re-release trilogy. I'd be willing to pay full price for something on that scale than a single game really.

• Thumbs Up 1