Awoo.

Sonic Colors: Ultimate - Announcement Trailer

Sonictrainer

16 minutes ago, JezMM said:

It might be a pre-release thing, but it's a shame to see those candy chutes in the background of Sweet Mountain are still just an animated flat texture.  It looked fine on a non-HD TV on the Wii, but looks really bad here.  Suggests there won't be any increase on polygon count in the game (hard to tell on Sonic at the moment, his model was always very nice in Colours on the Wii anyway).

The Wisps inside capsules are evidently still 2D textures too, just as in the original game (they were 3D in Generations, Lost World and Forces). Definitely think it's a bit of a shame that the actual assets aren't seeing much of a touch-up.

For those interested, here's a full playlist of all the videos that Connelly uploaded. Aquarium Park looks particularly nice:

There's a new bottomless pit alert in Colours Ultimate. Generations and S4E2 introduced red signs alterting you of pits, so these have been added retroactively to CU. It appears to be a HUD element rather than part of the level layout in the other games. It's a nice idea, but I hope that it can be disabled.

• Thumbs Up 6

8 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

There's a new bottomless pit alert in Colours Ultimate. Generations and S4E2 introduced red signs alterting you of pits, so these have been added retroactively to CU. It appears to be a HUD element rather than part of the level layout in the other games. It's a nice idea, but I hope that it can be disabled.

I'd have to check but did Colours not originally have a HUD warning but it was just a generic yellow triangle warning one and then Generations brought in the more Sonic-y version? Looks to me like they've just replaced the graphic.

If the warnings could be turned off originally I expect they will here. If not, hopefully it's an option.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, PickleBrows said:

I'd have to check but did Colours not originally have a HUD warning but it was just a generic yellow triangle warning one and then Generations brought in the more Sonic-y version? Looks to me like they've just replaced the graphic.

If the warnings could be turned off originally I expect they will here. If not, hopefully it's an option.

Oh you're right

I didn't notice! The original one was non-intrusive, so not being able to disable it was never a problem. The new one is total overkill with the bright red glow that occupies the entire bottom of the screen.

Ah well. It feels really pathetic that expecting Tails to be playable was a long shot but it was. If anything was going to make me excited to get this, it would have been that.

Still, I'm not uninterested. I do want to know what else they put into this thing and what all these new bobbles do. 

These new shots are better. I'm not gonna lie though, I was hoping it'd be less blurry looking. Still though, glad things are turning out fine for the final release.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, JezMM said:

It might be a pre-release thing, but it's a shame to see those candy chutes in the background of Sweet Mountain are still just an animated flat texture.  It looked fine on a non-HD TV on the Wii, but looks really bad here.  Suggests there won't be any increase on polygon count in the game (hard to tell on Sonic at the moment, his model was always very nice in Colours on the Wii anyway).

Which was really pretty impressive, because if I remember he has something like a third of the triangles in Colors as he does in Generations, and a fourth of what he did in Unleashed. It's almost like Sonic Team's art directors knew what the fuck they were doing at the time, and a lot of this stuff shouldn't have been messed with.

Rrgh. Sorry for the salt, but like... Even if it's not my favorite Sonic game, I have a ton of respect for Colors. Like what they were to pull off on just the Wii was really, really impressive, and they were able to do it at the target resolution of 480p and at a stable framerate. Unleashed just came out two years prior, and as much as I love the game, the game had really, really bad framerate issues and that was even with it running at 880x720p.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

Goodness at this rate with all these leaks and digging, Sega are literally going to have zero surprises for us regarding this game. I'm very intrigued to see what all the new collectables are. For me the Red rings were one of the best things added to the series, I've absolutely loved finding them all in the games they have featured in, as someone who's already found them all in Colours, its exciting to know that there appears to be a new collect-o-thon to look forward to this. Padding or not, its great to have something new to look out for in the levels. This new footage and screens to appear a lot better graphically also, Aquarium park looks really nice, very happy with that, considering its my favourite level in the game. Starting to really think theres been a lot of care put in to this version now, I'm actually really looking forward to replaying this with all the new content to boot. 

6 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

The Wisps inside capsules are evidently still 2D textures too, just as in the original game (they were 3D in Generations, Lost World and Forces). Definitely think it's a bit of a shame that the actual assets aren't seeing much of a touch-up.

For those interested, here's a full playlist of all the videos that Connelly uploaded. Aquarium Park looks particularly nice:

No disrespect to the dude, but it's amazing how none of these looks like an improvement, especially the tube area. I smell fish all over this port.

• Thumbs Up 3

7 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Ah well. It feels really pathetic that expecting Tails to be playable was a long shot but it was. If anything was going to make me excited to get this, it would have been that.

I'm still clinging to threads here. Surely collecting Tails heads will end up with a Tails unlock!

What madman would play with my emotions like this.

1 hour ago, Sega DogTagz said:

I'm still clinging to threads here. Surely collecting Tails heads will end up with a Tails unlock!

What madman would play with my emotions like this.

Hope: You expect me to talk?

SEGA: No Mr. Hope. I expect you to die!

• Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 7

My biggest concern is definitely the question of whether the pitfall warnings can be disabled. They’re obnoxious. 

Not going to lie - as much as the bloom / darker colours kind of seem to weirdly wash out what made the game "pop" on Wii... I'm still 100% excited for this with the extra content included.

But really it is the idea of having this game at 60FPS which is the most appealing aspect of this remaster for me - I would have been sold on this alone. 

In terms of Double Dipping... this aspect I actually don't mind about. Sonic Colours came out two generations ago as opposed to one, and it's still rated in my personal top 20 favourite video games of all time. I really enjoyed this one even if it oddly seems to have fallen out of favour with the fanbase as the years went on. 

I just hope there aren't any concessions made with the Switch Version as this is the platform I WANT to buy it for, especially for portability. But if it comes out that it performs poorly in docked mode or it can't handle 60FPS for whatever reason... then I'm straight onto PS4. 

I'm curious as to what the Tails head does, it's a bit big to be a life token but it's likely what it is.

The bloom effect... yep, I don't like it either, it makes me miss all of the vibrant colors of the original.

The bottomless pit thing is all over the screen, it needs an off option.

Overall mixed feelings about this, I want to be excited, I'm not sure about this stuff though, we'll see?

I’m of two minds about the bloom. On one hand, it’s overwhelming at points and drowns out too many background details. On the other hand, at least when it isn’t obstructing anything, it looks consistently gorgeous. Like, as subdued and unintentionally ominous as Tropical Resort looks, Sweet Mountain looks amazing now- much more volumous than before. Call me a sucker, I dunno. I’ll have to see a lot more footage before I really know what to think. 

I really hope we can get 60fps on the Nintendo Switch with this one. I’d take a sub-native resolution if we can get that. 

It’s an exciting prospect to play this in PC, too, given what modding might allow with the engine and the wisp powers. 

Well I 'dropped' my money on the digital deluxe edition within 'seconds' of seeing it appear on the PlayStation store.

I have never played Colours at all but I do like it's soundtrack and this gave me an excuse to book the day off work 👍

So now I have this to look forward to along with Bus Simulator 2021, I am interested to see how the movie items they are offering with the Deluxe edition end up looking in game but I am, just happy to have something Sonic on my PS4, Forces was a disappointment and I got frustrated with Mania and Team Sonic Racing never got off the grid. 😎

Roll on September!

I don't know I'm bad at figuring out what makes graphics good or bad so honestly Colors Ultimate looks fine to me.

Though I will say the additional stuff is kinda odd to me. Like I kinda just thought it was going to be a port so I wasn't expecting these extra medals and decapitated Tails heads lying around. I mean I guess it makes sense there'd be new content since it is called Ultimate and all but I'm still honestly surprised by all the new stuff.

I gotta say, the mystery of Tails head, tokens and whether he is playable or some feature... has my attention. I want to see where it leads (don't say disappointment, it's predictable).

The new shaders look nice, if you pay attention closely, some of the textures have been either upscaled with AI or remade from scratch, which is also good.

That said, there's a few missing graphical effects in Acquarium Park, some water effect on the glass tube for instance is not there, and the fish behaviour on the background looks to not be working correctly.

I think they still got time to iron out these issues, so I'm not gonna be too judgemental, but, again, the bloom is really too much lol. It makes the whole thing look pretty amateurish.

Hope there will be an option to turn it down, on console as well. I don't plan on getting the Colours remaster on launch but maybe when it's very cheap, I was thinking about it, but if there's no way to remove the bloom on Switch, then it's a hard pass for me, not giving my money to Epic and not gonna deal with always online DRM.

33 minutes ago, Jack-al said:

I gotta say, the mystery of Tails head, tokens and whether he is playable or some feature... has my attention. I want to see where it leads (don't say disappointment, it's predictable).

I saw a rumor that suggested it's probably part of an assist mode for beginners. The way it sounded like it works is that if you fall off the stage Tails will come and pull you back like Lakitu in Mario Kart. If you don't have any Tails heads, it just sends you back to the last checkpoint.

I don't know how true it is (it was a 4chan rumor, so grain of salt) but that's the only reason I can think of they'd put it in place of Sonic's lives.

2 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

I saw a rumor that suggested it's probably part of an assist mode for beginners. The way it sounded like it works is that if you fall off the stage Tails will come and pull you back like Lakitu in Mario Kart. If you don't have any Tails heads, it just sends you back to the last checkpoint.

I don't know how true it is (it was a 4chan rumor, so grain of salt) but that's the only reason I can think of they'd put it in place of Sonic's lives.

Actually makes sense. But I rather save myself actually playing as Tails 😅 Oh, SEGA...

5 hours ago, Jango said:

Actually makes sense. But I rather save myself actually playing as Tails 😅 Oh, SEGA...

This. I'm tired of the Best Boi being reserved for easy mode, Sega. Let. The kid. Fucking. FLY.

• Thumbs Up 3

EDIT: God fucking damn the quote boxes on this board are so annoyingly broken. Hopefully you can tell where the quote box for the product description is supposed to end.

I've seen people raise the question of the framerate of Colours Ultimate over on Retro so I'll bring it up here too just in case anyone is unsure. The Switch version will almost certainly not run at 60 fps. The product description on retailer websites such as Game.co.uk and Amazon.co.uk reads as follows:

BETTER THAN EVER

Compatible with next-gen consoles and now more colourful than ever with enhanced visuals and graphics (4K on PS4 and XB1), Ulta-Smooth 60 frames per second performance on PS4 and XB1, refined controls, and many more gameplay upgrades.

So... nope. 60 fps on PS4 and XB1 (plus PS5 and XBX/S via backward compatibility), but not on Switch. The Switch Pro hasn't been announced yet of course. It's up to you if you want to hold out hope for that. But I'm not, personally.

Honestly I find 60 fps to be such a necessity for Sonic games these days that I don't think I'll bother with the Switch version. I played Colours in regular HD with 60 fps via Dolphin last year and that really bumped up the experience of the game (although forcing the Wii version to run at 60 fps does cause a few, very minor gameplay issues). Going back to 30 fps just hurts. A lot of games can run at 30 fps and be absolutely fine for it. In some cases, prioritising a high resolution over a high frame rate is even ideal. But not for Sonic. A fast-paced platformer needs every frame it can get.

• Thumbs Up 2