Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers - Teaser Trailer

Sonictrainer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

Recent posts about the 'Sonic Frontiers' trademark information has been broken out into its own thread. This thread was originally about the game's announcement trailer way back in May, so it's a bit out of date to be posting significant game updates here.

Please remember to create a NEW forum topic if fresh news about a game has surfaced. This makes it a lot easier for users to find and discuss the latest news on SSMB. The side-chat about 'another solo Sonic game' may also be broken out into its own separate thread, to contain and avoid repeat discussions about it.

So not only will it most likely be yet another Sonic-solo Boost game but the team behind Generations and Forces are back.

Greaaaaaat....

I mean, ultimately all hardware should determine is how pretty the graphical fidelity is. Just design for the weakest system and it shouldn't be an issue. A game that looks good on Switch will look good on the PS5 too.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

I mean, I feel like a Switch version would play fine. Obviously compromised in places, but I don't think to the point of bringing down the whole game. And I also doubt this game was gonna take full advantage of the new consoles anyways, considering how long its likely been in development. 

Though I expect a pro version to be the most stable of the two.

If they can optimize the ports properly, giving the time and care they need,  then we should be fine. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm fucking here for this. I know the guy said it was bad, but I'm still here for it.

For the first time in a good while, I can say I am intrigued by Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 4

17 minutes ago, expansivelovestories said:

I am remembering Aaron's last hint which had the cards of Sonic, Tails and Knuckles.  initially once the actual Sonic card game was revealed it felt like it might have been about that, but, Aaron's hints have always been about actual games! 

Source?

11 minutes ago, Dee Dude said:

So not only will it most likely be yet another Sonic-solo Boost game but the team behind Generations and Forces are back.

Greaaaaaat....

I would point out they also said Forces was made by the same team as Colours and Generations and that was very much not the case.

"Team" could just mean Sonic Team which has been a rolling door of people for ages now.

• Thumbs Up 2

For those wondering about what leaks we’re talking about, Good Vibes Gaming has a video summing it up. 

1 hour ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

I know pretending other characters matter in Sonic-only games is a common trope for Sonic at this point, but does it bother anyone else that the name "Sonic Rangers" is...Rangers, like, plural? Who are the other rangers? Are we gonna see the avatar creator again? Probably not, but after Forces was at least a game that represented the title in that manner, it's kind of annoying if it's another solo-Sonic joint. I still think the avatar creator would be great for multiplayer stuff.

I meant to comment on that myself but... I didn't.

Mostly because I knew it'd be setting myself up for disappointment just mulling over the idea. I don't think I'll ever play as Tails again in anything 3D that isn't a spin-off. 

25 minutes ago, KHCast said:

What if this seamlessly takes you to the “digital world”? Kinda like Sonic CD’s time travel mechanic, but like, instant with no transition

I saw what Insomniac achieved in Ratchet PS5 and I instantly though about that. But Insomniac are freaking wizards, and the current Sonic Team is... Erm...

• Chuckle 1
  • Too Many Rings 2

43 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Legit kinda concerned that this game is hitting every platform, now that I think about it. Switch versions of PS4/XB1 games were already significant downgrades as the Switch is basically a generation behind them. Forces on Switch looked like crap and played like crap too. But now we're looking at something on XBX/PS5, XB1/PS4 and Switch.  That's just so much hardware variation. Yes I know what the Switch Pro is rumoured, but we don't know anything about it officially yet. I'm worried not only that the Switch version (and the XB1/PS4 versions to a lesser extent) will be shit, but developing for the game across 2 to 3 generations of hardware will drag down the game as a whole.

Guess we'll see how it pans out in the end. I'm doubtful that we'll get a whole separate version ala Unleashed Wii, Colours DS etc.

If this was exclusive, people would have been even madder tbh. This was a no-win scenario. 

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, Jango said:

I saw what Insomniac achieved in Ratchet PS5 and I instantly though about that. But Insomniac are freaking wizards, and the current Sonic Team is... Erm...

Honestly, we don't even really know what Sonic Team currently is, to the point where

27 minutes ago, Dee Dude said:

but the team behind Generations and Forces are back.

Statements like these^ mean practically nothing, given how Forces was advertised as being from the team that brought us Sonic Colors.

They're likely capable, but we'll have to see if this is what they actually chose to do.

Just make sure to hype responsibly all the way.

• Thumbs Up 6

2 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

If this was exclusive, people would have been even madder tbh. This was a no-win scenario. 

For as much as certain fans want to take the absolute best of modern hardware, that only appeals to a certain amount of fans as is. The majority of Sonic's audience are children whose first inclination will be to play on mobile or switch.

Insomniac gets the benefit of taking full advantage of modern hardware because they are a first party studio, it's in their best interest to push their platform. SEGA's interest, and by extension Sonic team's is to sell to the broadest audience.

• Thumbs Up 3

I have no qualms with the Switch and PS4 getting this game.

I want it to look good, but it doesn't need to be some graphics showcase tech demo.

Let it look good, sure, but also focus on making sure it plays good.

• Thumbs Up 2

Here's another thought. How much of this game will be open world vs linear cyberspace levels? Will the open world primarily be a big hub between levels that happens to be more in-depth than previous hubs and interconnected, or will the open world be the majority of the content while the cyberspace stuff is more like a break in between?

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Here's another thought. How much of this game will be open world vs linear cyberspace levels? Will the open world primarily be a big hub between levels that happens to be more in-depth than previous hubs and interconnected, or will the open world be the majority of the content while the cyberspace stuff is more like a break in between?

the playtester described that the cyberspace realm was only accessible after defeating open-world bosses and collecting enough orbs from them!!   :slight_smile:  

7 minutes ago, expansivelovestories said:

the playtester described that the cyberspace realm was only accessible after defeating open-world bosses and collecting enough orbs from them!!   :slight_smile:  

The thing is, from what the leak describes, it was a curated demo that had a specific end-point. It's clear that the demo was primarily meant to sell the initial idea on what the product will be and that's not taking account of what they changed in response to the criticism. Maybe Sonic Team decided to push more of the linear aspect since they've already gotten experience in that, and downsize some of the open material.

We have no idea how big this world will be and what kind of biomes we'll see as far as a biome goes. Maybe an island the size of South Island, or some kind of valley with a variety of Eggman bases spread about.

It's clear the devs took inspiration from BoTW as soon as Forces released, since both were released in the same year and the year prior was the coming of the "open-world Sonic fan projects" so it's interesting to see what influences Sonic Team took from where. Of course, without gameplay its only speculation.

Hopefully ST took inspiration from botw AND mania. Sonic being put in a large playground isn't worth a cup of beans if he doesn't move and control very fluidly. This has been said already.

I just.....have a hard time seeing them not understanding that idea though. It's just so obvious, and contrary to many I don't believe ST to be stupid. 

If it turns out to be fan-gamey and it's just Generations type physics and tank controls set in an expansive world....you know what, nope, there's just no way they'd do that. Only fans with literally no design experience would think that a good idea...

• Thumbs Up 5

Just now, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

Hopefully ST took inspiration from botw AND mania. Sonic being put in a large playground isn't worth a cup of beans if he doesn't move and control very fluidly. This has been said already.

I just.....have a hard time seeing them not understanding that idea though. It's just so obvious, and contrary to many I don't believe ST to be stupid. 

If it turns out to be fan-gamey and it's just Generations type physics and tanks controls set in an expansive world....you know what, nope, there's just no way they'd do that. Only fans with literally no design experience would think that a good idea...

Sonic Team taking inspiration from Mania? I bet that they would have to from back then if they wanted to make good future games. Still, you never know if there are some things that they are unwilling to change or if there are some things they'll stubbornly stick with. Either way, Sonic Team has to learn to some degree.

But yeah, the open world thing is new for Sonic. Maybe not too new, but they are taking a risk by trying this new thing.

I'm really wondering what SEGA did take criticism on. If Sonic's going to go open world, I'd like something that'll be fun to run in, and that will use the heck out of Sonic's rolling physics. If that's going to be how they handle the boost, though; as a small reward and not the main style, I'd be pretty down for that. I just wonder how they'll do the rest of the environments outside of the forest, and what any possible cities/towns may consist of.

• Thumbs Up 6

I made some joke lyrics for a them of Sonic Rangers. Here they are if you don't mind.

Spoiler

They got a power and a speed that you've never seen before
They've got the ability to run fas to even up the score
No one can ever stop them now
Speed and power's on their side-e-yide-e-yide-e-yide-e-ide!

Go go Sonic Rangers!
Go go Sonic Rangers!
Go go Sonic Rangers!
Mighty Super Sonic Rangers!

They know they must act quickly to save the world with speed
They know to use as much power and speed they need
No one can ever stop them now
Speed and power's on their side-e-yide-e-yide-e-yide-e-ide!

Go go Sonic Rangers!
Go go Sonic Rangers!
Go go Sonic Rangers!
Mighty Super Sonic Rangers!

What do you all think? I bet you know what this is based on, right?

Anyway, speaking of the theme song, I wonder what it will be? Will it be even done by Crush 40 or some other band?

5 hours ago, Jango said:

Wait, what? This is like, the first time a 4chan post was actually legit? Not only he got the name right, which is pretty unusual for these leaks, but also the mechanic about start glowing, running in circles and exploding everything inside. This is exactly what Sonic does in the trailer, it even has the cyber space effects like he said, this shit is legit, no way he guessed all that on accident. 

Ain't the first time. Details about Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric were leaked on 4chan by a playtester back in August 2014, well before the game's November release. Said leak is also how we learned about Sonic Runners before it was announced, since it was mentioned by the playtester. Granted, that was...seven years ago compared to today.

As someone who has over the years grown interest in a sandbox Sonic game and thought of ways it can work; the idea of Sonic Team making an open world Sonic game does mildly spark my interest. It's definitely more intriguing than them making another Boost game--less so because I dislike the Boost, moreso knowing it would likely be mismanaged even worse than it was in Forces. But I absolutely do not trust them to pull it off well, given their design philosophies; and the commentary about the combat and exploration is not even remotely surprising with that in mind.

Gonna take a few shots in advanced darkness here. But I really won't be surprised if the final product is Sonic Team desperately forcing their attitudes towards game design into a gameplay format where it neither meshes well to begin with, and they're inexperienced enough to somehow wield it to work; and the result is that it backfires spectacularly. And the verdict is along the lines of "y'know, this actually isn't a bad idea...but what were you guys thinking with the execution....?"

• Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, Milo said:

Ain't the first time. Details about Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric were leaked on 4chan by a playtester back in August 2014, well before the game's November release. Said leak is also how we learned about Sonic Runners before it was announced, since it was mentioned by the playtester. Granted, that was...seven years ago compared to today.

As someone who has over the years grown interest in a sandbox Sonic game and thought of ways it can work; the idea of Sonic Team making an open world Sonic game does mildly spark my interest. It's definitely more intriguing than them making another Boost game--less so because I dislike the Boost, moreso knowing it would likely be mismanaged even worse than it was in Forces. But I absolutely do not trust them to pull it off well, given their design philosophies; and the commentary about the combat and exploration is not even remotely surprising with that in mind.

Gonna take a few shots in advanced darkness here. But I really won't be surprised if the final product is Sonic Team desperately forcing their attitudes towards game design into a gameplay format where it neither meshes well to begin with, and they're inexperienced enough to somehow wield it to work; and the result is that it backfires spectacularly. And the verdict is along the lines of "y'know, this actually isn't a bad idea...but what were you guys thinking with the execution....?"

I could honestly care less either way.

2 minutes ago, Zoomzeta said:

I could honestly care less either way.

Okay...?

What kind of vague response even is this?

• Absolutely 5