Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers - Teaser Trailer

Sonictrainer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

Recent posts about the 'Sonic Frontiers' trademark information has been broken out into its own thread. This thread was originally about the game's announcement trailer way back in May, so it's a bit out of date to be posting significant game updates here.

Please remember to create a NEW forum topic if fresh news about a game has surfaced. This makes it a lot easier for users to find and discuss the latest news on SSMB. The side-chat about 'another solo Sonic game' may also be broken out into its own separate thread, to contain and avoid repeat discussions about it.

We can at least hope that Sonic will have to control well if one of the mechanics involves running in circles around enemies, which was something not that easy to do in the boost games just by how stiff Sonic's controls were...

• Thumbs Up 2

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-05-28-sega-mentions-sonic-rangers-in-its-own-press-release

"Announcing new console experiences, Sonic Colors: Ultimate and Sonic Rangers, further details on Netflix's Sonic Prime, mobile news, musical events and much more!" reads the press release, sent to Eurogamer last night via email.

Ok, its all but 100% confirmed. Id say this merits a title change. At least unless SEGA plans to change the name. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2

A few people touched on this, but the cryptic nature of how Sonic Team does their trailers/information releases for a game that has been in development for a while is annoying.  Even if they wanted to give us a teaser and then a press release with some basic details (what gameplay style the game is going for, basic info) that would help.

Literally on the same day you have ambitious titles Horizon, DQ3, Dying Light  trailers that have gameplay or information about their general concepts, while for a Sonic game we just see a logo and nice graphics. 

To be clear, I want Sonic Team to take their time of course and not rush, but I can't lie, that the way they are cryptic and secretive instead of letting us know what to look forward too. I also know if they showed nothing then we would be complaining about having nothing. 

It's just already knew a new game was in development. If they want hype they have to share more about what the gameplay/world design/broad synopsis is (ala what we know about Sonic Prime, so we can actually talk about it. Gameplay samples would be better). I don't know why every other franchise shares info whereas with Sonic you barely get anything. Heck we don't even have a title, even though it seems pretty clear that have one in mind and it has to be leaked.

I am also wondering if there will be more info at e3.

Edit: One last thing. To my point, a lot of people aren't really excited yet. Curious,yes. But yet again, there really isn't excitement based off the trailer alone. If the game just started development it would be a little different, but they should know the general concept by now. We know more about Final Fantasy 16 than the new game.

1 minute ago, Spooky Mulder said:

So if the game is called Sonic Rangers, WTF is Zao/Zap?

An element of the game. A power, an organization, a place, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Fans desperately trying to read discernible English into an intentionally unintelligible alien glyph meant to appear as a mystery.

Duh. Though, now that we know that Rangers is an actual title they are using at the moment for this game, it gives the supposed leaks some level of credibility for now.

Guess I'll have no choice but to call the unevitable parody I'll make "Mighty Morphin Sonic Rangers".
MORPHING TIME. LASER WISP!

• Chuckle 4

The only thing that concerns me about this concept is that in order to draw circles, you need a flat terrain... so I fear that level design will be compromised for allowing Sonic to draw lines and circles and summon spells, making it more similar to a musou/warriors game than a platformer... but since we don't even know how it does play yet, it's too early for assuming stuff.

Though, the more I think about the game the more I realize there is a lot of potential in it. For example, it would be possible to let us pilot the Tornado and reach every part of the map by flying... they might even hide some secret levels/challenges above the clouds and make it so that the level design is similar to the one of boost games, but instead of being over a bottomless pit, by falling you would land in the overworld.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Guess I'll have no choice but to call the unevitable parody I'll make "Mighty Morphin Sonic Rangers".
MORPHING TIME. LASER WISP!

Sonic Rangers, adventure in a big world, trace a circle around badniks to beat them, something something POKEMON RANGER

• Thumbs Up 3

if the "spincycle" is an attack, then the circle you would need to make wouldn't need to be accurate at all.  It just needs to close. 

And if it is an attack that is used to kill as many enemies as possible, that implies that there are areas where there are lots of enemies, and I doubt that their terrain wouldn't be flat anyway. 

Many enemy camps in BOTW are flat. The most misshaped camps are the tree houses. This is because lopsided terrain gets in the way of battle.

• Thumbs Up 1

From a marketing standpoint, Sonic Rangers just strikes me as such an odd name. I mean, it sounds like a spin-off, like you’re playing as a team of new characters that have to fight crime or something. I dunno. 

The cynic in me wonders why they didn’t just go for the money and call this Sonic Adventure 3. Not that I wish they would have. 

1 minute ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

From a marketing standpoint, Sonic Rangers just strikes me as such an odd name. I mean, it sounds like a spin-off, like you’re playing as a team of new characters that have to fight crime or something. I dunno. 

The cynic in me wonders why they didn’t just go for the money and call this Sonic Adventure 3. Not that I wish they would have. 

Somehow, I doubt this game is intended to continue those games.

I suppose from Sonic Team's perspective, the title is a sequel esque name to Sonic Forces.
Sonic's forces.
Sonic's rangers.
Tough we're stepping down here.
Next game is Sonic's scouts.
Sonic's hallmonitors.

• Chuckle 8

Just now, Zoomzeta said:

Somehow, I doubt this game is intended to continue those games.

As do I. That wasn’t my point though. 

I would be pleasantly surprised if the game is a direct follow-up to Forces, but I doubt it, especially with the details we've got. 

To be fair Sonic Colors sounds like a spin off too until you have further context. 

I remember thinking it was like a drawing or art game when I first saw the title and nothing was known. 

• Thumbs Up 8

If all the talk about virtual realities is true, and I thought I saw cubes that vaguely resembled Phantom Ruby particles when Sonic starts running...
Who knows.
Would be nice if they follow up on Infinite, he was completely wasted.
Altough a lot of people are tired of him, so not sure if Sega wants to give him a second chance.
Then again, everyone's tired of Zavok too and he's on chance number 12 already.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, mitsunari88 said:

To be fair Sonic Colors sounds like a spin off too until you have further context. 

I remember thinking it was like a drawing or art game when I first saw the title and nothing was known. 

I remember that too. It sounded like an educational game for 5yos

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2

43 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Fans desperately trying to read discernible English into an intentionally unintelligible alien glyph meant to appear as a mystery.

I don't think it's desperate. It looked pretty plainly like English to me just in a stylized logo when I saw it. I just assumed the game was called Sonic Zao until I got back on here and saw people calling it Zap? It never occurred to me that the image there isn't meant to be English text at all. Looking at it from your perspective...I still can't see it as anything other than English in a stylized rune script. If it's just meant to be some generic alien looking glyph, they should have just left it at the O/P-looking thing because the full glyph makes it look like an English title card.

2 hours ago, Jango said:

We can at least hope that Sonic will have to control well if one of the mechanics involves running in circles around enemies, which was something not that easy to do in the boost games just by how stiff Sonic's controls were...

If it's activated by manually drawing a circle, it seems like the move would be something the game does itself. Like the light-speed dash.

Maybe, but some of my laundry settings sound like an epic final zone.
Permanent press Zone, act 1.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 6

You hack something up enough you can get it to say anything you want.

• Thumbs Up 7