Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers - Teaser Trailer

Sonictrainer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

Recent posts about the 'Sonic Frontiers' trademark information has been broken out into its own thread. This thread was originally about the game's announcement trailer way back in May, so it's a bit out of date to be posting significant game updates here.

Please remember to create a NEW forum topic if fresh news about a game has surfaced. This makes it a lot easier for users to find and discuss the latest news on SSMB. The side-chat about 'another solo Sonic game' may also be broken out into its own separate thread, to contain and avoid repeat discussions about it.

Also about the circle, do all current and next gen consoles have some kind of touchpad, because I don't totally understand how this will be implemented. 

Playstation controller  (both 4 and 5) and Switch screen ave it. Don't think Xbox does though. 

48 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Maybe, but some of my laundry settings sound like an epic final zone.
Permanent press Zone, act 1.

You have a point. Some microwaves have a Chaos Defrost mode.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 2

22 minutes ago, Razule said:

Also about the circle, do all current and next gen consoles have some kind of touchpad, because I don't totally understand how this will be implemented. 

I think "drawing" a circle is literally just meaning you run in a tight-ish circle around a few enemies to destroy them.

If anything I think this might be one way of dispatching enemies without having to stop or resort to homing attack spamming. Could be quite a good option if the game is more open world and you encounter little clusters of patrolling robots more frequently. 

Something like a bigger, more powerful, and more manual version of the blue tornado from Sonic Heroes. 

• Thumbs Up 7

!!   i have to say that i am excited also about the potential for this to become a series!   For that to happen of course, it would have to actually be an excellent open world experience, with strong replayability and most likely some unique free, and other, DLC, and if so, it will be very well received in ways that 3D Sonic never has been! 

So I would say, if this location isn't one of the original Sonic islands, each of those then become available for future games!!   And, any entirely new locations visited will now truly be locations!  (Knowing that a new format is finally here, it is worth saying that the 3D games from the start are some of the more impressive "movie set" style levels and experiences that could have been made)

Ngl, my biggest fear towards the Sonic Rangers leak is the mention of EXP, puzzles, skill trees and battles where you just mash one button. We already had some of this stuff with games like Unleashed, the Storybook duology, Sonic Boom, Lost World and none of them were well-executed enough to be fun. Currently, I don't trust Sega to use these gameplay elements to create something entertaining.

Hey, why bother designing a coherent press release and plan out all the information you need to give? Just release all the information trough clumsiness and have the internet do your work for you in piecing it all together.
Now for the next press release, they can just gather up the Sonic Stadium article of all leaked info, change a few words, and bam, instant press release info without having to pay a writer or PR secretary to do it for you. These ain't cheap, y'know.

• Chuckle 1

I think a big part of giving us a sense of adventure would be explaining where this new location is relative to Sonic’s usual stomping grounds. I mean what makes Sonic Adventure feel adventurous is that you start out somewhere that Sonic seems to be pretty familiar with, and then you start finding things in the Mystic Ruins that none of the characters have ever seen. 

I have to wonder, how the hell will they even pull off this open world? Even if Sonic doesn’t have boost outside of cyberspace (wtf, cyberspace?), he’s still at least as fast as a car. 

And what relevance does the digital world have to these natural landscapes and ancient ruins? How do the two even remotely line up? 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

I think a big part of giving us a sense of adventure would be explaining where this new location is relative to Sonic’s usual stomping grounds. I mean what makes Sonic Adventure feel adventurous is that you start out somewhere that Sonic seems to be pretty familiar with, and then you start finding things in the Mystic Ruins that none of the characters have ever seen. 

Well, the mention of a ghost-like girl that assists Sonic in the game makes it sound to me like maybe Sonic does start out somewhere we recognize (maybe even Green Hill again because Sonic Team) before being whisked by said ghost girl away to some other place, much like in the Storybook games.

3 minutes ago, Zenmai said:

I think this makes a bit of sense?

I think that's quite unlikely, actually. The "SONIC" logo always appears in the same, standard font and the subtitle is written in a different style for every game. They never change the Sonic text itself, and only ever apply different effects and colours to it that match the game.

• Promotion 1

1 minute ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

I have to wonder, how the hell will they even pull off this open world? Even if Sonic doesn’t have boost outside of cyberspace (wtf, cyberspace?), he’s still at least as fast as a car. 

And what relevance does the digital world have to these natural landscapes and ancient ruins? How do the two even remotely line up? 

The teaser has that lost civilization/aliens kind of vibes, so maybe the cyber space thing is the technology used by those aliens or whatever. Or it could be the power of the ruby which Sonic can now control, as a nod to Forces ? But to activate the ruby or the techology you need to charge it up a bit,hence the orbs i would guess. 

Regarding your issue with the open world, yeah it is worth your concerns. I am sure if it turns out to be a open world it will just be an endless flat terrain with little to nothing to do. But this is Sonic so, at least if they give us a playground to roll around with him that would kind be okay. Honestly i am not expecting anything close to the quality of Botw from Sonic Team. After playing that, Mario Odyysey, and seeing the likes of Ratchet and Clark, Crash 4 etc, honestly i can not be impressed by the Sonic Team as we knew them so far. It pains me to think that we will never get the same quality of products as these,but i am more than glad to be wrong. Adventure games were grand, so were the Unleashed. Colors and Generations were great, but it has be more than a decade since we saw something ambitious. This seems like it, but as Sonic Team is very hit or miss, it has a big tendany to turn into a mess real quick. 

Therefore i would not expect much, and im setting my expectations on the lower side. A somewhat open world with spaces to play around with Sonic's physhics, some not terrible combat and puzzles and a good amount of boost levels (which i am looking forward to) is what i expect. The soundtrack should be fire as usual, and i would say that it would look good but it being on the last gen kind of scares me. If you think about it we never really saw a "Next Gen" sonic graphics, as Forces was the only thing we got last gen and it looked on par with Gens. I am sure this will look better if the CGI teaser is anything to go by, but man, what i would not give for a Sonic game looking like that PS5 R&C and is somewhat on a closer scale to it.

Again, I don't know why Sonic Team are so cryptic compared to other companies. I understand if gameplay footage is not ready to show. But at least tell us the concept. The teazer told us what we already knew: a Sonic game is being developed. Great. But we knew that for two years. We should know what the concept is by this stage. 

Most companies have a press release saying what players can look forward to (e.g. Sonic Rangers is the newest entry in the Sonic franchise that will take players on an open-world journey with Sonic and features...)

Because ST is so secretive you now have the internet confirming stuff like the title through detective work and it seems a little unprofessional to be blunt. 

3 minutes ago, mitsunari88 said:

Again, I don't know why Sonic Team are so cryptic compared to other companies. I understand if gameplay footage is not ready to show. But at least tell us the concept. The teazer told us what we already knew: a Sonic game is being developed. Great. But we knew that for two years. We should know what the concept is by this stage. 

Most companies have a press release saying what players can look forward to (e.g. Sonic Rangers is the newest entry in the Sonic franchise that will take players on an open-world journey with Sonic and features...)

Because ST is so secretive you now have the internet confirming stuff like the title through detective work and it seems a little unprofessional to be blunt. 

I am guessing we will get the details in June, with Summer Fest and E3 taking place, not the mention the anniversary. I also think those Centrals will continue to happen. We will certainly hear about the stuff in Colors, and i bet Rangers would be revelaed as well. Although Ranger has about a year to come out so they might also do what they did with Forces and desert us for months. I still think we will find about it this June though.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's been a single day after their first game announcement in four years.

We are a month away from a much bigger gaming event, and they said that Sonic will be present in the next game event. 

And SO MANY OTHER companies play the same tricks. None of them tell you literally everything about a game a year before it comes out. 

• Thumbs Up 2

For sure. I am also hoping for more details around e3. To be clear I am not trying to be demanding or anything as I get things are hard, COVID notwithstanding.

For me it's just about communication and their apprehension to sharing anything which doesn't show confidence. 

To counter your point though, when most companies do a teaser they still drop a press release with a title or just generic information. Which is my point. I don't want everything. The issue is that we don't have anything and the way information is coming out is from back door avenues. It looks unprofessional.

3 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

It's been a single day after their first game announcement in four years.

We are a month away from a much bigger gaming event, and they said that Sonic will be present in the next game event. 

And SO MANY OTHER companies play the same tricks. None of them tell you literally everything about a game a year before it comes out.

You're right. They usually do so partially or in the form of teasers, CG or otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I think that's quite unlikely, actually. The "SONIC" logo always appears in the same, standard font and the subtitle is written in a different style for every game. They never change the Sonic text itself, and only ever apply different effects and colours to it that match the game.

I would agree, except that, if the leaks are real, that they are really, really going for something new here. And while I'm not going to get my hopes up, it does make me wonder if they're going to really shake things up on a brand level.

The two biggest successes that the franchise has had in the past 5 years are Sonic Mania and the movie, neither of which Sega's internal folks had much direct involvement with. That can't have gone unnoticed. Plus, with the management shake-up, it makes me wonder if they've convinced the people upstairs to let them take this thing in a bit of a new direction. Like Boom, but with SOJ's backing this time (and hopefully less disastrous).

I know that's it's way too early to say anything definitive, but to see them take Sonic somewhere new for the first time time in over a decade (not counting Boom) is really refreshing. I know it's the same old Sega and Sonic Team behind it, but it feels like anything goes for once. Whether it turns out good or a disaster, I'm looking forward to it either way.

Sonic Generations had literally the same marketing tactic. The first teaser was vague and said nothing but "Classic Sonic is here." Here for what? What's going to happen? Didn't even show the name. Hell, the teaser wasn't even representative of the final game, since you don't run through Green Hill while it's washed out like that (a missed opportunity, to be honest).

It was also leaked beforehand as well.

This is literally the same scenario. This is because this is how SEGA tends to operate, period. This is how they like to market a main series 3D Sonic.

I'd say that spilling the beans like a torn beanbag chair because you're afraid of an overzealous fanbase that think your game will suck anyway would inspire less confidence.

This is obviously a game SEGA believes they can afford stretching information over the course of a year. That's not a "lack of confidence." 

24 minutes ago, Zenmai said:

I think this makes a bit of sense?

It's a nice logo, but I think it's simply the symbol of the new character or people. 

We're not getting information on Sonic 2022 at E3, guys.

It's going to be the same as Sonic Forces, reveal the game in mid 2016/2021, then show gameplay and trailers in 2017/2022. They will very likely do the same exact marketing strategy they did for Forces cause it worked very well last time.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, NoKaine said:

Sonic Generations had literally the same marketing tactic. The first teaser was vague and said nothing but "Classic Sonic is here." Didn't even show the name.

It was also leaked beforehand as well.

This is literally the same scenario. This is because this is how SEGA tends to operate, period. This is how they like to market a main series 3D Sonic.

I'd say that spilling the beans like a torn beanbag chair because you're afraid of an overzealous fanbase that think your game will suck anyway would inspire less confidence.

This is obviously a game SEGA believes they can afford stretching information over the course of a year. That's not a "lack of confidence." 

I will just respectfully agree to disagree. We both want what is best for Sonic though so let's leave it at that. 

I think what I am saying is also being a little misunderstood. Nobody is asking for beans to be spilled. But a title usually shouldn't be so secretive for example yet leaked through the internet. 

3 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

We're not getting information on Sonic 2022 at E3, guys.

It's going to be the same as Sonic Forces, reveal the game in mid 2016/2021, then show gameplay and trailers in 2017/2022. They will very likely do the same exact marketing strategy they did for Forces cause it worked very last time.

Considering that Sonic Forces couldn't have started development more than half a year prior, I do actually think its sparse marketing is due to the lack of gameplay to show, especially since Sunset Heights was like the only damn stage they showed for months.

If this leak is true, they have had something in the works for a year and have another year to finish. 

3 minutes ago, mitsunari88 said:

But a title usually shouldn't be so secretive for example yet leaked through the internet. 

It wasn't that secretive, it's just that no one would believe the leak. That leak has a crap ton of info on a game they played in 2020 and was to release in 2022 (though they say it was supposed to come out November 2021).

The only reason we take the leak seriously is because it aligns with exactly what little official information there is.

• Thumbs Up 2