Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers - Teaser Trailer

Sonictrainer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

Recent posts about the 'Sonic Frontiers' trademark information has been broken out into its own thread. This thread was originally about the game's announcement trailer way back in May, so it's a bit out of date to be posting significant game updates here.

Please remember to create a NEW forum topic if fresh news about a game has surfaced. This makes it a lot easier for users to find and discuss the latest news on SSMB. The side-chat about 'another solo Sonic game' may also be broken out into its own separate thread, to contain and avoid repeat discussions about it.

I just noticed, they actually DIDN'T bring up the "FROM THE TEAM THAT BROUGHT YOU SONIC COLORS AND SONIC GENERATIONS" title card.

So... maybe that's a good sign?

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

This is all I wanted; a simple teaser. Looks intriguing. My thoughts in brief:

I appreciate how realistic the forest looks. Hopefully that means a break from the cartoonier, flatter stylings of Forces, TSR and Lost World? I much prefer Sonic environments to have realistic details, like Colours.

It's cross generation and on every platform too, so that's nice.

The digital boost and possible time showing down mechanics are interesting. I'm not convinced that it's actually the boost though. He doesn't seem to "take off" like I'm the Generations and Forces teasers. The emphasis is definitely on the digital effect and maybe on time slowing down, but that could just be am effect for the trailer.

The style going here has me all kinds of intrigued. It's digital, but the environment is all natural. And the weird text/logo at the end is again digital on what looks like a ruin/ancient background. It's cool.

All in all, there's not much to say. I like what we saw, but we didn't see much. Very little to add until SEGA unveil this game, I guess.

I agree about every word of this; it’s good to see a MAJOR break from the Lost World-TSR aesthetic. Forces’s slightly darker and more urban feel was a slight break, which was mostly undone by TSR, and even then that game used a lot of recycling.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Guy Strong said:

I just noticed, they actually DIDN'T bring up the "FROM THE TEAM THAT BROUGHT YOU SONIC COLORS AND SONIC GENERATIONS" title card.

So... maybe that's a good sign?

It really doesn't mean much of anything. They only put that in the Forces teaser to emphasise that it was a return to the Generations and Colours format instead of Lost World's, as those game were better recurrence received. The development staff was no more Generations/Colours than it was Lost World. Heck, it was a lot of people brand new to Sonic Team, and Generations is the only one of the three not to be directed by Morio Kishimoto.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Chili Dawg said:

Still no view of Sonic's face...

You can see it in the side view shot, he looks exactly the same as always.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Snowragnarok said:

I agree about every word of this; it’s good to see a MAJOR break from the Lost World-TSR aesthetic. Forces’s slightly darker and more urban feel was a slight break, which was mostly undone by TSR, and even then that game used a lot of recycling.

I do actually like the way it looks. I don't know if it's really going to be indicative of how the actual game will look but I guess it was kind of true for Forces and Lost World. The CG trailers for them did a good job of getting the looks of those games down rather well. I'm all for it if that's the case. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Really hope we don't go back to weird photo-relistic attempts at locations like the mid 2000's games. Honestly would prefer a more cartoony stylized take.

• Thumbs Up 3

Zippo lied! He said the collection would have rare games like Sonic R and Pocket Adventure... NOPE

He said a new 2D game was coming.. NOPE

He said a new 3D game wouldn’t be boost.. clearly in the trailer there are wisps and he is boosting so.. LIES again 

• Chuckle 1

3 minutes ago, SonicWind said:

I feel like the aesthetics of this teaser get across some "ancient civilization" vibe, and I'm curious if this means a return to a more elaborate storyline. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Yes; there was a very recent mentioning of something plausibly relevant!

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2021/04/do-the-chaos-emeralds-have-a-canonical-origin-ian-flynn-cant-tell-us/

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

8 minutes ago, Chili Dawg said:

Still no view of Sonic's face...

Uh looks like they separated eyes.

1622133056836.jpg

It's clear that logo is some kind of hint of something that I'm guessing we're expected to dissect or something. Some kind of code or something. At least that's what I got from it.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, SonicLegends said:

Uh looks like they separated eyes.

1622133056836.jpg

Really?

805227891_Screenshot2021-05-27181142.png.0242b042d22c43dd33783224e6bcb6c8.png

You're over-analysing a zoomed-out, in-motion and blurry image of Sonic to infer a design change when there's absolutely no reason to think that's the case.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sooo...first sonic forces gameplay dropped on march 17th of 2017 and the game was announced in june 2016. If history repeats itself then we'll don't know what this game is for the next ~9 months. enjoy. XD

2 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

It's clear that logo is some kind of hint of something that I'm guessing we're expected to dissect or something. Some kind of code or something. At least that's what I got from it.

"Expected to dissect" in the sense that they want a mystery for people to talk about to keep their attention on the game, sure. As something actually solvable? Not likely, and certainly not without anything else to go on.

• Thumbs Up 1

Or it'll be announced in June again. Because that's Sonic's birthday month.

35 minutes ago, Polkadi~☆ said:

I think I speak for everyone here when I say that there is pretty much nothing to talk about with how cryptic the teaser was.

The only really notable thing I could take from this is that it may take place in a more realistic environment? Other than that, yeah...

1 minute ago, Blue Blood said:

Really?

805227891_Screenshot2021-05-27181142.png.0242b042d22c43dd33783224e6bcb6c8.png

You're over-analysing a zoomed-out, in-motion and blurry image of Sonic to infer a design change when there's absolutely no reason to think that's the case.

Still looks separated there for me for what you just posted. I am only making a observation given what little we were given why shouldn't I analyze?

40 minutes ago, Razule said:

The glitch effects in the teaser make me think that this takes place in a virtual world. There hasn't been a Sonic game specifically about that yet. 

I don't know how production works, but there couldn't be more after all this time? Like just a bit of gameplay. A hint. Because as it is it says even less about the game than Forces'. I'm guessing Boost and 2.5D are back though. If that isn't too much to presume from him zooming off at a side angle.

Screenshot_20210527-124716_YouTube.jpg

Each of the 2.5D Sonic games feature Sonic running from a two dimensional perspective and a narrow pathway. I have no doubt that this will be Boost gameplay again.

4 minutes ago, Graystripe2000 said:

So, uhhh, what are we gonna codename this besides mystery game?

People seem to be settling on "Zap", as that's what they think the logo at the end spells out. I'd rather call it Sonic 2022, or "Sonic 'z\°", as the text clearly says. 

13 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

"Expected to dissect" in the sense that they want a mystery for people to talk about to keep their attention on the game, sure. As something actually solvable? Not likely, and certainly not without anything else to go on.

What else is that vague combination of symbols supposed to mean? Its clear that there is something to at least speculate and piece together on. At least something hidden in a higher resolution trailer. 

Sonic 2022 for now, I guess.

I'm going to make a call and say this is Sonic Colors 2, either in title or spirit. That Wisp sfx at the start of the teaser and those weird visual effects coupled with those alien glyphs at the end are giving me Colors vibes hardcore.

Between this and Colors Ultimate, I think Sonic Team have decided to lean in hard on that game's success to carry the franchise a bit. Could be wrong, but that's my take.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • My Emmerdoods 1
  • Absolutely 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

Really fucking wish they weren't so cryptic, but its pretty much what I expected.

The game is giving me Boost vibes as the Generations and Forces teasers did tbh, but we'll see.