Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers - Teaser Trailer

Sonictrainer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

Recent posts about the 'Sonic Frontiers' trademark information has been broken out into its own thread. This thread was originally about the game's announcement trailer way back in May, so it's a bit out of date to be posting significant game updates here.

Please remember to create a NEW forum topic if fresh news about a game has surfaced. This makes it a lot easier for users to find and discuss the latest news on SSMB. The side-chat about 'another solo Sonic game' may also be broken out into its own separate thread, to contain and avoid repeat discussions about it.

This has been mentioned by multiple people already (pretty sure including myself but hey ho). 

Now there had been various "Sonic Anniversary" leaks beforehand but our first official look at what would turn out to be Sonic Generations was released April 7th 2011. An untitled CGI teaser trailer with a single "hook" moment and a confirmation of the release year. Might sound a bit similar to a certain other game we've been talking about for the past few days? Less than two weeks later on April 18th the first gameplay trailer was released which also confirmed the game's title. Generations would of course go on to show up at E3 and get regular coverage until its release in November 2011.

On the otherhand, Thursday's joint announcement of Colours Ultimate and Rangers pretty much mirrors Mania and Project Sonic 2017. Colours and Mania got full reveals while 2017 and Rangers got CGI teasers. Compared to the two week wait for the Generations gameplay, Forces would go unseen for much longer. Sonic Rangers has HOPEFULLY had a much fuller development cycle than Forces did, with many believing Forces wouldn't have even had any gameplay to show at the time of its first teaser.

I think it could go either way with Rangers. Colours Ultimate will of course get the spotlight over the summer but as others have said it may not be substantial enough to lead SEGA's SGF and E3 on its own. It's not on the same level of remake as the Crash and Spyro trilogies. If it happened to be the case that Rangers was aiming for a 2021 launch pre-covid then I do reckon we may hear more about it soon. If not at SGF or E3, it's not impossible they might do another Sonic Central on the 23rd to discuss the game some more. At worst, I would expect them to start discussing it around Colours Ultimate's release in September.

• Thumbs Up 9

I think it’s just as likely for it to turn up at E3 or TGS this year as it is for it to do what Forces did and wait a whole nine months til we see it.

Placing my bets on nine months, but would GLADLY take an E3 reveal.

• Thumbs Up 8

I suppose the big question on whether they spring a full reveal on us sooner or later is when exactly in 2022 are we getting it? If they plan this for a Q4 release, as every mainline Sonic game has been for over a decade, we absolutely will not see anything for a good while, I would bet not until next year, tho POSSIBLY the tail end of this year. If the game is slated for earlier in 2022, that would necessitate showing us the thing much sooner it not taking that long to unveil. I don't think this is as early as Forces was when it was unveiled, given it seems SEGA has a title even if they don't want us to know it quite yet, but that could still just be a codename and they still have no idea what they actually want to call it. In any case it still seems further along than Forces because they had things to play test beyond a lighting engine earlier this year, but that in itself does not mean we'll see it any quicker so who knows.

So basically the jury is completely out, but for my own sanity I will try and assume we ain't seeing it for another year.

I myself would take preference to a little more information on the anniversary or at e3 if this game is the key title for the franchise milestone.

As we know that some of the press media has the game's supposed name indirectly attached and an initial press-release iteration mentions 'Rangers' directly, I feel that it might be reasonable to put out a very brief surface level overview and title reveal; whether or not it's attached to an expanded teaser or simply orally relayed, that information doesn't seem to be an unlikely expectation due to the aforementioned press-content being so readily structured to detail something that we were not officially given in the Sonic Central presentation.

That being said, I don't think that the team should rush things nor do I feel it necessary for them to cannibalize the mindshare of the preceding games on schedule, particular Colors Ultimate which will launch this year, so I can understand if we'll be getting less info that's potentially a longer ways out rather than the alternatives.

1 hour ago, azoo said:

I think it’s just as likely for it to turn up at E3 or TGS this year as it is for it to do what Forces did and wait a whole nine months til we see it.

Placing my bets on nine months, but would GLADLY take an E3 reveal.

I think we'll be getting something soon since it seems like all of this was meant to be shown off last year (the colors trailer showing an older version than the screenshots we got, and the focus test of Rangers happening around spring-summer 2020, a good time to show off a small teaser)

• Thumbs Up 3

34 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

I think we'll be getting something soon since it seems like all of this was meant to be shown off last year (the colors trailer showing an older version than the screenshots we got, and the focus test of Rangers happening around spring-summer 2020, a good time to show off a small teaser)

I agree with that, since there were plans to have announcements at SXSW 2020. Because of Rangers' timeline it's likely that it would have been announced there (by that I mean through CGI teaser trailer).

The biggest reason why I believe we will have some sort of E3 showcase is the fact that Rangers' CGI teaser is not officially posted anywhere on social media by SEGA. For some reason, only Colors trailer was uploaded to official social media. Besides that, if you follow E3 announcements as close as I am, you probably noticed that Sonic Central was part of so called Pre-E3 announcements (ex: Horizon Forbidden West showcase) that happened around the same time (there were multiple major showcases on the day of Sonic Central). So far no big companies, except Microsoft, announced their dates and plans for E3. This makes me believe that SEGA might be saving posting the teaser for Rangers with E3 showcase announcement until other companies start to post their E3 plans.

I feel like open world Sonic is huge deal which is worth announcing and showcasing on E3

• Thumbs Up 3

SXSW last year DID seem to be building up to something, if the teaser and promotional stuff was already paid for and made, and the core idea of the game hadn't changed so much, it makes sense that they'd just release it now and get discussion going. As always assume nothing going into Summer Games Fest and E3 but if they did postpone releasing the trailer then it's not too crazy to think they've got something lined up, especially since Sonic's anniversary date is right next to E3.

• Thumbs Up 1

I do not expect to hear another peep about this game until after Sonic Colors Ultimate releases, maybe even later than that. Sonic has almost always taken the Q4 slot so I expect most of the rollout to happen next year in the lead up to a november 2022 release. The odd circumstances around this game's development could have lead to them taking Q1-2 for Sonic for once, but I don't think it's likely. It just makes more sense to leverage the holiday momentum.

If there was going to get a big blowout for E3 I don't even see the point in unveiling it weeks beforehand. Sonic has been avoiding putting himself dead in the middle of the E3 shuffle for a while now and I can't see that changing here. I've wondered if the the full title unveiling and basic details were actually picked up for some E3 showcase at the last minute and that's why Sega is acting strange about the name, but I wouldn't bet on it. If it does show up at E3 I could see it being a part of Microsoft's conference since they and Sega have been cultivating a partnership lately and it would add some much needed variety to the event.

You have to remember that Sonic Central is supposed to be the start of something, though. They have their own independent way to roll out Sonic news now and they can schedule it to happen at literally any time of the year. They're not bound to these in-person events like before. There might be another Sonic Central as soon as next month or it could wait until after Colors Ultimate releases.

TLDR: I have no clue when we'll get news but I doubt it's any time soon.

• Thumbs Up 4

I admit that it always feels strange when companies have announced/teased a game and then proceed to not show it at E3 and other gaming events. With Forces, it was teased after E3 2016 and then proceeded to skip all events up until Comic Con 2017. Now with Rangers, SEGA chose to tease it just before E3 and Summer Games Fest 2021, but it probably wont show up again until a 2022 event. Making it even more awkward is the fact that SEGA keep pushing SGF. 

It's not impossible that SEGA would showcase Rangers at E3, SGF or something else later in the year, but I find it to be highly unlikely. As @Wraith says above, big Sonic games almost always release in Q4, leading up to the holidays. Team Sonic Racing and Mania are the only exceptions to that rule that I can think of. Mania was a spring release originally and got delayed to summer, but Forces already had the holiday period covered in 2017. And then TSR was originally coming out "this winter", which meant anything from December 2018 to February 2019 and ultimately got delayed until May. Assuming that Ranger will release in the standard window of Q4, I don't think that we'll see any new info for a while. Q4 2022 is still 16 months away from E3 and SGF this year at least. 

I think that maybe SEGA dropped the Rangers teaser too early. I personally don't mind the wait. I have more things going on in my life than waiting for Sonic games and news, but it's still going to be pretty drawn out waiting for more info. Colours Ultimate and Origins will plug the gap enough for me. It might have made more sense to get SCU out of the way first and not tease SR until later this year. There were eight months between the Project 2017 teaser and the actual full reveal of Forces. Eight months is like, my personal ideal window between a game being announced and then released.

If we're waiting until SXSW 2022 for more Rangers info, that'll be roughly 10 months. Almost a year! What's the point of teasing a game so early? I just don't expect SEGA to put Rangers out any sooner than Q4 2022, because Colours Ultimate is late Q3 2021 and Origins is Q1/Q2 2022. Could the fully reveal Rangers sooner and then hope to keep the hype train going for a year or longer? That's never been SEGA's style with Sonic games, and I worry that interest would fizzle out, especially if the game looked to be not very good (which is likely considering that this is Sonic).

Guess we're just going to have to wait and see how everything pans out. There's going to be a lot of people complaining about the lack of news.

• Thumbs Up 2

Given SEGAs pretty consistent approach to marketing and release scheduling, it's reasonable to think we won't see Rangers at E3 this year.

But I think its relevant that they teased the game without revealing the title then stuck the name in a press release anyway. That makes me think SEGA has more they are prepared to say about the game than history would indicate after a teaser like this. I think some sort of official reveal of the title can't be far off and who knows what else would come with it. There's must be some method to their approach...or not

• Thumbs Up 6

I think they were kinda backed into a corner with this. If they had decided not to mention Rangers at all then we would have had Sonic Central break the silence after 2017 (if we're not counting Mania Plus and TSR) with a collection of Mega Drive games not even coming out this year, and a remaster of an 11 year old game that has fallen out of favour with a lot of the fans over the years. Even if we knew that there was a Sonic Team project in the works, I think there would have been an uproar. 

The alternative is what we've got last week. If we're taking the January leak at its value for the time being, they almost certainly have stuff they COULD show so I'm optimistic for June, though I won't be surprised if things do go quiet. I don't think the wait will be the same as Forces though, which I really think only happened out of necessity. As others have said, Rangers being mentioned by name in the press release, even if it was apparently by accident, does suggest that things are farther along than they're letting on with that teaser trailer. 

• Thumbs Up 7

I'm personally not 100% sure that the game will come out on Holiday 2022 because of Sonic Movie 2 and Sonic Prime. It would make sense for them to advertise and release the game to coincide with either the movie or the show, because after watching the movie/show, kids would go nuts if they found out about the existence of the game, so $$$ for SEGA. However, it is important that the game won't be completely overshadowed by either show or movie. Obviously, we don't know when Prime is releasing yet, so my personal guess of releases would be the following:

Sonic Movie 2 then Sonic Rangers (late Spring, early Summer of 2022) then Sonic Prime

If Sonic Rangers will indeed come out earlier than the holiday season then it's likely that we might hear news soon

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm actually wanting it to come out on Holiday 2022 just so Sonic Team can get enough time to work on the game. I'm kind of thinking it'll be Movie → Prime → Game, excluding Origins so far. I'm kind of thinking Origins would come out after the movie so any curious fans would get the chance to play the classics on an easily accessible system.

• Thumbs Up 4

I wonder what the main theme for this game will be and will be about? Also, I wonder if we will get any news for this game on Sonic's birthday, which is in June? Maybe we will get news about Sonic Colors Ultimate and Sonic Origins by then as well?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/29/2021 at 2:33 PM, Wraith said:

This has been living in my mind rent free since thursday but nobody has given me an excuse to bring it up yet so I'll just say it. They really decided they were going to take heavy inspiration from an open ended Nintendo game and chose Breath of the Wild and not Mario Odyssey.

Like...what the fuck? Seriously. Huh? Did they see Mario roll and have an allergic reaction?

I can just imagine them seeing Mario roll and them recoiling in terror. Anyways, BOTW is more of a complete open world, where Oddysey is a selection of semi-open worlds.

• Thumbs Up 5

I personally think SEGA does have stuff to share about Rangers soon, from not posting their CGI trailer on their YouTube, to be found in the files that the CGI was made over awhile ago, well in time for SXSW 2020, and leaks already saying it’s in a playable test demo state, unlike Forces with its proof of concept trailer.

But, I do not think Rangers will show up at E3 as Colors Ultimate will be the main focus and marketing point for the September season. At least I suspect another Sonic Central around the August/September season with more info on it.

• Thumbs Up 3

12 hours ago, PickleBrows said:

I think they were kinda backed into a corner with this. If they had decided not to mention Rangers at all then we would have had Sonic Central break the silence after 2017 (if we're not counting Mania Plus and TSR) with a collection of Mega Drive games not even coming out this year, and a remaster of an 11 year old game that has fallen out of favour with a lot of the fans over the years. Even if we knew that there was a Sonic Team project in the works, I think there would have been an uproar.

With regards to them being backed into a corner, I think that it's worth noting that there's actually a fair bit of breadth to the matter.

Sonic Central itself wasn't a given as a format or occurrence. We have E3 just around the corner and the anniversary about a week and a half afterward, meaning that the stream wasn't a necessity pursuit in general, let alone for relaying this particular information. We also have precedent for the 25th anniversary where a blowout stream actually occurred a month after the date, which buys them a further hypothetical extension to work with. There's also the fact that Sonic Central seems to be very overtly inspired by Nintendo's Directs, inclusive of the way the contents of the event were described leading up to the release. This would be an easy means of setting expectations that could be reinforced in the actual footage to avoid viewers assuming that something about the new game would be revealed. When coupled with the aforementioned events and how close Sonic Central is scheduled to them, I think any major uproar could have been avoided and heavily dampened with some very slight adjustments.

Overall, I feel that the teaser in Sonic Central was less likely a matter of strategic constraint and more likely a matter of deliberate intent.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Theorist is right, Sega even accidently leaked the coverart for Sonic Chaos!

SonicChaos.png.a843ea00fb5d8d4993b2048d5c0876c9.png
Besides, a PS4, Xbone and Switch version, there's even a Sega Master System version coming.
For the Brazillian market I presume.

Yeah, screw a Sonic Colors remake, Sonic Chaos ultimate, baby.
At least that game actually does have a playable Tails.
Let the battle over the superior Gigapolis theme begin.

in all seriousness, I wouldn't be surprised if Sega forgot about that game.
Despite all the nostalgia pandering this decade, the game gear games got spectacularly little of it.
Wouldn't be the first time an anniversary game takes the same name as a Classic game.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 3

I'll say here what I said on Retro.

Between Sonic Boom, Lost World and the name "Sonic the hedgehog", there is absolutely no reason to assume SEGA wouldn't use the same name for different projects, but I'm still gonna say it's an unsubstantiated longshot, since we have to then assume that A. The mark is an English word at all, B. That the game isn't called Sonic Rangers, and C. That whatever it does say is the game's title.

• Thumbs Up 3

I would have no problem to see the game released on late 2022, except really, if they want to cash in on Prime and Movie2 they need to get this out sooner. I would also have no issues if there was that speculated 2D game by Zippo, but since his claims were incorrect and debunked... heh. I just want more news at this point though.

Another thing is... I'm having conflicted thoughts about the feel of this game, sure open world is great, but from the leaks it seems most of the elements feel generic and not Sonic-y. I dunno how I feel about brand new content in a Sonic game, I want it but at the same time I want traditional elements, that is why I did not mind (unlike the rest of the fanbase) iconic Sonic elements, like yeah GHZ, CPZ, Wisps, rings, emeralds, Zeti and the cast, moves, etc. in Forces for example. Now, I did not like the rehashing and recycling of that game, it was enormous and totally should have had more new zones and ideas.

But a mix of that? Hopefully, I want new baddies, new environments, elements and moves, but I also want it to feel like a Sonic game. I want both, and I'm not sure 1 game can handle all of this. This is why I'm okay with there being traditional stages inside the open world, yeah the leak says there are Chaos Emeralds, that's great, but hopefully there are interesting new elements and not generic "rock monsters", I mean... if they have great designs I will not mind, I just don't want them to drop all of the previous elements either. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I know how you feel; obviously, right now we know essentially nothing about the game and how all the pieces fit together, but based only on the teaser and the leaks it's hard not to feel like Sonic is being dropped into a completely different series.  Identity is important, and it doesn't have to mean literal recycling; the 2D games have kept things fresh whilst working within a consistent visual identity and overall formula, or language, if you like.  A game like Rush Adventure plays wildly differently from Sonic 1, but even if you haven't been following along, you can still, broadly, tell that it's a Sonic game.  With the 3D games, though, it's become something of a cliché to observe that their approach has become so scattershot and experimental rather than evolutionary that we never really have any idea what to expect.  The Rangers teaser doesn't really do anything to help there, to be honest; it's frankly cryptic.  The leaks may give us more information, but it's so fragmentary that we can't really envisage the game as a coherent whole either.  Eventually it will probably all make sense, but right now it's not unreasonable to look at the data we have and say "but what if it doesn't?"

Anyone else getting Black Knight vibes from that teaser? Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think this has any narrative relevance to that game, I’m just saying it’s interesting. We’ve got Sonic running through a realistic forest, on realistic terrain. The only game where he consistently did that kind of thing was Black Knight, and it’s ironic that this is supposedly an open world game whereas that game was one of the most linear. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Salamander said:

I know how you feel; obviously, right now we know essentially nothing about the game and how all the pieces fit together, but based only on the teaser and the leaks it's hard not to feel like Sonic is being dropped into a completely different series.  Identity is important, and it doesn't have to mean literal recycling; the 2D games have kept things fresh whilst working within a consistent visual identity and overall formula, or language, if you like.  A game like Rush Adventure plays wildly differently from Sonic 1, but even if you haven't been following along, you can still, broadly, tell that it's a Sonic game.  With the 3D games, though, it's become something of a cliché to observe that their approach has become so scattershot and experimental rather than evolutionary that we never really have any idea what to expect.  The Rangers teaser doesn't really do anything to help there, to be honest; it's frankly cryptic.  The leaks may give us more information, but it's so fragmentary that we can't really envisage the game as a coherent whole either.  Eventually it will probably all make sense, but right now it's not unreasonable to look at the data we have and say "but what if it doesn't?"

It doesn't help we don't even have anything resembling context for this game. Why Cyberspace? Is the whole environment actually just a simulation that Sonic has to escape from? What's the ghost girl's side in this. This is all just picking around in the dark, even with the scraps of info we've been scrounging together.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

https://m.imgur.com/a/Chru3hQ

image.png.fe4307813cd172e254a65f3a46d5a025.png

I had to post this, just because the theorist put so much effort into this, its hard not to be invested in it. 

The tdlr is that the letters are meant to spell CHAOS and the user theorizes the game has been renamed from "Rangers" to "Sonic Chaos".

While its a stretch, it is probably one of the most thought out ones. 

Effort? Thought out?

They extended every straight line, added a bunch of parallel lines arbitrarily, and then filled in the spaces that gave them the answer they were looking for. There's no reason to take this seriously.

• Thumbs Up 2