Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers - Teaser Trailer

Sonictrainer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

Recent posts about the 'Sonic Frontiers' trademark information has been broken out into its own thread. This thread was originally about the game's announcement trailer way back in May, so it's a bit out of date to be posting significant game updates here.

Please remember to create a NEW forum topic if fresh news about a game has surfaced. This makes it a lot easier for users to find and discuss the latest news on SSMB. The side-chat about 'another solo Sonic game' may also be broken out into its own separate thread, to contain and avoid repeat discussions about it.

Lol, it's quite a leap to think that the "zap" glyph is even supposed to mean anything to us right now. It's something to tickle our fancy and grab our attention. I'd bet a good chunk of money that none of the current guesses are anywhere close to accurate, because we just have so little to work with. It could even be the case that it means nothing, and it's just thematic.

• Thumbs Up 1

My best guess for the symbols is that they're a completely made up language, but it's important to the lore and the core of the gameplay is drawing them out on the ground. This is why the leaks referenced (boring) puzzles. You're gonna be drawing shapes to open doors and shit, probably.

They also probably activate abilities, with Sonic's spin cycle being just one of a set.

• Thumbs Up 7

They just said the levels would be "generations style", they didn't mention any boost ability.

Linear, fast tests of reflexes... they could play like 06's Mach Speed sections for all we know.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, BadBehavior said:

They just said the levels would be "generations style", they didn't mention any boost ability.

Linear, fast tests of reflexes... they could play like 06's Mach Speed sections for all we know.

Boost is such a controversial subject with this game. Some people think it'll be all boost, some people think it's only the special stages, some think it's no boost at all. Makes me wish I could go back in time and ask those leakers to clarify.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Generations style" levels could mean anything. Like many others I'm going to assume it means it's probably just fast auto running stages.

Sonic Lost World was handled the exact same way. Some were sceptical of a new gameplay style but they would assure people "There's speed focused levels just like Sonic Generations and Sonic Colors, this game has something for everyone" - paraphrasing, but something to that effect.

That said, I don't mind auto run stages like that especially if they're just considered special stages. 

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, BadBehavior said:

Were they saying Generations style? The 4Chan leak I've been seeing compares them to Unleashed which kinda makes sense with an open world game considering how wide and huge Unleashed's stages were.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think - whether they mention Generations or Unleashed - they basically just mean Boost style gameplay, rather than the nuances of each individual boost game's characteristics.

• Thumbs Up 2

57 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Were they saying Generations style? The 4Chan leak I've been seeing compares them to Unleashed which kinda makes sense with an open world game considering how wide and huge Unleashed's stages were.

The main leak, dated January 2021, mentions this:

Cyberspace levels are Generations style and the music goes HARD.

Another "leak", that only showed up after the Sonic Central event, says this:

Beat Unleashed-style levels to get level ups.

The second leak basically says exactly the same thing as the January leak, and might just be a copy-cat fake leak considering when it was posted. I made a full post on the matter a few pages back. Either way, Generations and Unleashed are interchangeable in terms of what their levels are like; they are standard Sonic boost gameplay. Everyone except hardcore Sonic fans such as ourselves would describe them, along with Forces and Colours, as being pretty much the same. And I'm definitely in the party that doesn't think we're going to be seeing a full open-world supplemented by full boost levels. I'm expecting something closer to Special Stages or '06's Mach Speed areas.

• Thumbs Up 5

I am only assuming you can boost in the game because the teaser does show Sonic boosting in a new, reinvented way. Also yeah, it's possible the "ghost" girl is a new AI character.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm assuming nothing because that trailer was nothing and these leaks aren't confirmed yet. 

That said, the idea of waiting another year to find things out makes me want to start assuming things just to pretend I know what I'm in for.

• Thumbs Up 1

I somehow don't think they'll wait till next year to show Rangers again. Iizuka was sure to mention they had more stuff ready to be shown, and also I'm not sure Rangers will be a November release. I think it was originall slated to be released this year in November, don't think they'd want to push it back after the fiscal year. 

March 2022, calling it!

But maybe I'm just fever dreaming and we won't see it for another year lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Jack-al said:

I am only assuming you can boost in the game because the teaser does show Sonic boosting in a new, reinvented way. Also yeah, it's possible the "ghost" girl is a new AI character.

I just had a thought...

If it is a literal ghost girl, and not an AI...

...then the ghost girl must be this!

99359a4506539d8395a21edf408eaaeb.jpg

Spoiler

Yeah, you know I am kidding.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

3 hours ago, Sonikko said:

I somehow don't think they'll wait till next year to show Rangers again. Iizuka was sure to mention they had more stuff ready to be shown, and also I'm not sure Rangers will be a November release. I think it was originall slated to be released this year in November, don't think they'd want to push it back after the fiscal year. 

March 2022, calling it!

But maybe I'm just fever dreaming and we won't see it for another year lol.

I don't think that's an unreasonable release period assuming the game's development is comfortably completed and there are no internal market metrics being leaned on indicating that a holiday release is the best time for sales. Releasing before June 22nd of 2022 would be nice as it'd allow the game to be a part of the anniversary year. This wouldn't be the first time they missed that time span for a commemorative title, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Jack-al said:

Just stick Nicole in there, SEGA. Do it.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • My Emmerdoods 1

I still expect Rangers to be the second half of 2022 release. When's the last time a mainline Sonic didn't release late in the year? Heroes? Origins will probably be the release for the first half of the year.

With Colors Ultimate coming out, I wonder if they’re planning to keep the boost function in some capacity. Maybe as something that makes you go faster on the ground, rather than a button you can push midair to send yourself flying off a ledge? That would be a good way to reign it in. 

More rumors from THAT place... yeah this one is fishy so I 99% doubt it but let's see what it says...

https://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/557326416/sonic-rangers

> Tails dies at the beginning and the Deku tree knockoff holds the key to reviving him

What the hell. I know people say SEGA hates Tails but it's so true, not even kidding.

> Rangers are Sonic, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow and Blaze, who embark on a grand journey to an unknown island

Besides the obvious skeptical attitude I have towards the plot, it just sounds... lame, to exclude Tails like that, like, there are finally more playable characters but Tails is killed off... huh

> Sonic has parkour, Knuckles is a gliding Werehog, Amy has SA1 gameplay and they are fun to play

This is nice? Kinda too good to be true.

Yeah I remain skeptical mostly because, correct me if I'm wrong, but beta testers aren't given any story details.

Edit: I know it's fake but it was still fun to comment on it.

• Chuckle 1
  • Absolutely 2

22 hours ago, Soniman said:

Right now I'm assuming the symbol has contextual meaning within whatever lore the game is about but has absolutely no meaning to us currently when we have no information 

The symbol looks very similar to one of Yackers artwork poses from Sonic Colors if you look at it sideways. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay something a bit more interesting to point out then? It doesn't mean much but the teaser for Sonic games usually does show other characters when they are important in the game, it hints at what is important in a title, like Sonic, Tails and Wisps on Planet Wisp in Colors, Sonic and Classic Sonic and whited Green Hill in Generations, that Lost World picture with Sonic and Tails travelling to Lost Hex, and in Forces Sonic joined by Classic Sonic in a wasteland dominated by Eggman and his sentinels.

But here? Sonic, alien (?) technologic ruins in a forest, with an improved boost with digital blur. It's only a hint but I'm not getting my hopes up for other playable or relevant returning characters... for now. I'm tempted to assume stuff and I don't want to, but of course I can only go with what has been revealed (officially not much).

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jack-al said:

Okay something a bit more interesting to point out then? It doesn't mean much but the teaser for Sonic games usually does show other characters when they are important in the game, it hints at what is important in a title, like Sonic, Tails and Wisps on Planet Wisp in Colors, Sonic and Classic Sonic and whited Green Hill in Generations, that Lost World picture with Sonic and Tails travelling to Lost Hex, and in Forces Sonic joined by Classic Sonic in a wasteland dominated by Eggman and his sentinels.

But here? Sonic, alien (?) technologic ruins in a forest, with an improved boost with digital blur. It's only a hint but I'm not getting my hopes up for other playable or relevant returning characters... for now. I'm tempted to assume stuff and I don't want to, but of course I can only go with what has been revealed (officially not much).

These teaser trailers tell us as little as possible. The Colours teaser even made a point of including Tails as you say, despite the fact that he wasn't playable in that game. And the Forces teaser omitted the Avatar character. Whether this game includes other playable characters or not, I don't think you can reasonably come to any conclusion about that just yet. This trailer tells us that Sonic is in  realistic forest, has a digital looking effect when he runs and possibly warps. That's pretty much it.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 6/1/2021 at 10:32 AM, VisionaryofSUPER said:

It doesn't help we don't even have anything resembling context for this game. Why Cyberspace? Is the whole environment actually just a simulation that Sonic has to escape from? What's the ghost girl's side in this. This is all just picking around in the dark, even with the scraps of info we've been scrounging together.

At this point the only solid info we have are from rough demos that are now a year out of date

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

At this point the only solid info we have are from rough demos that are now a year out of date

Demos with no footage. I'm sure if we even saw a bit of that raw footage, I'm sure every Sonic fan would analyze that shit to hell and back. You think people are analyzing a bunch of symbols much? We'd be making a web of material.

• Thumbs Up 2