Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers - Teaser Trailer

Sonictrainer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

Recent posts about the 'Sonic Frontiers' trademark information has been broken out into its own thread. This thread was originally about the game's announcement trailer way back in May, so it's a bit out of date to be posting significant game updates here.

Please remember to create a NEW forum topic if fresh news about a game has surfaced. This makes it a lot easier for users to find and discuss the latest news on SSMB. The side-chat about 'another solo Sonic game' may also be broken out into its own separate thread, to contain and avoid repeat discussions about it.

Honestly I just want to see some gameplay. Some glimpse of the game just running.

The teaser seems like the start of some kind of bigger trailer, kind of like what Sega did with Colors. I imagine that our next glimpse, whenever it may happen, will start with this footage and then transition to quick clips of gameplay. 

I, like everyone else, am hoping we get this during E3, but honestly Colors Ultimate seems like it’ll hog whatever spot is reserved for Sonic. 

• Thumbs Up 5

8 hours ago, Jack-al said:

But here? Sonic, alien (?) technologic ruins in a forest, with an improved boost with digital blur. It's only a hint but I'm not getting my hopes up for other playable or relevant returning characters... for now. I'm tempted to assume stuff and I don't want to, but of course I can only go with what has been revealed (officially not much).

i haven't seen these ruins yet, where are they during the trailer? 

1 hour ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

I don't even understand why people still bother theorizing.
Sonic Forces and Team Sonic racing killed any interest I have in speculation.
Ohh, Shadow's evil now, what does that mean? Does that mean Eggman has information on Maria that-
NOTHING. It means nothing.
Ohh, the logo of Sonic R is hidden in the Team Sonic racing title, does that mean-
NOTHING. It means nothing.

Pfft, Forces proudly showcases 5 prominent villains posing a threat to Sonic, yet assuming "those 5 villains will be a boss fight" is already overshooting Sonic Team's competence and effort. If even basic assumptions like that is giving them too much credit, then I don't want to give them any credit at all anymore.

Oh, Tails' icon shows up in Sonic Colors ultimate, I bet it means-
NO. Well, he picks up Sonic when he falls, so i guess it's something, but not remotely what you want it to be.
Just in case there was any hope Sega stepped up their game after half the decade since the last game.

Sonic runs trough Forest.
That's the only information I can take straight. Even assuming "player controls Sonic while he runs" and "Forest is level in game" is probably overestimating the amount of effort Sonic Team put in the game.

Okay, I'm joking, but good grief does Sonic team not deserve the benefit of the doubt at this point.
I'm not expecting anything but the saddest amount of bare minimum content.

I wish I could frame this and hang over every Sonic forum in existence.

• Thumbs Up 3

10 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I wish I could frame this and hang over every Sonic forum in existence.

Not sure my pessimism has reached the same point as he has admittedly. 0_0

• Thumbs Up 2

While I wouldn't describe myself as being particularly optimistic about the state of the franchise (and frankly, I have a hard time disentangling pessimism and apathy; either way, you're expecting nothing), I think it's more interesting to have ideas and to discuss them, however wild or ill-founded or baseless.  I don't even like 3D Sonic, I'm just a rubbernecker, but I'm still curious about what will happen.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1

Yeah, the fun of speculating is the only reason I’ve been doing it for this game. I mean, I want it to be good, and I just like Sonic from a baseline perspective, but like, regardless of whether I’m optimistic or pessimistic, I do kind of hate myself for giving Sega the credit of my time. I ought to be just apathetic. 

I can't wait for this game personally! I want to know more! I want to play it! Please show us more at E3! 

I have total confidence in Sonic Team and I loved all of their recent games, so I just can't wait for this one! 

• Thumbs Up 3

Just save ourselves the trouble and lock the thread until the next trailer comes out if we're gonna be that counterproductive to discussion 

• Thumbs Up 5

3 hours ago, NoKaine said:

Have you considered that there are people here who like talking about Sonic? This should not be surprising. It's okay if reality doesn't match your fantasy.  It's speculation, not playing a lottery. You're not trying to will things into existence.

Why are you even here if you are so mad and hopeless at the series that you won't even let yourself think about what the game will be like? I REALLY do not understand this mindset at all. Is this supposed to be, like, the ideal Sonic Fan Mindset, or something?

If all my speculation ends up wrong, if this leak turns out to be complete bullshit, it's like, eh, oh well.

If I ever find myself refusing to even think about the games, I'd ask myself "do I even like the series anymore? What am I doing on a forum specifically about this franchise I do not like?"

God I hate this argument so much. You’re not seeing the bigger picture at all. Sonic isn’t just about the games. He’s in cartoons, he’s in comic books, and he’s in a fucking Hollywood series. And besides, on the gaming end, the modding community is still going strong. There are plenty of reasons to be a Sonic fan that are entirely unrelated to Sonic Team’s output (especially given that all of these are done better than Forces to boot). 

If you want to speculate endlessly and read things into the teaser that - going by history - probably aren’t even there, then do so. But I am totally justified, not only in refraining from doing that myself, but also in asking, in so many words, “Why do you see fit to?” 

• Thumbs Up 1

Like everywhere it seems on the internet, there is soo much negativity. I find it very unfortunate, it stop people from being excited about something and sharing their enthusiasm. Not everyone hated the latest Sonic games. I for one loved them and I can't wait to see more of this game! I have total fate in Sonic Team, they are risk taker and I love it. 

I'm replaying Sonic Lost World right now and having a blast. 

By the way, the teaser worked wonder for me, since I'm actually trying to find people to share my excitement. (That's why I came here) I just wish I could find a place where people can share their enthusiasm instead of their hate. :(

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm convinced that a sizeable amount of us videogame fans enjoy discussing and speculating about games more than we actually enjoy playing them. 😁

7 minutes ago, Gotta Go Rational said:

I'm convinced that a sizeable amount of us videogame fans enjoy discussing and speculating about games more than we actually enjoy playing them.

Well, I'm probably not part of the group I'm afraid. 😋

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Soniman said:

Just save ourselves the trouble and lock the thread until the next trailer comes out if we're gonna be that counterproductive to discussion 

I don't think we should let the rantings of people who have let their spirits be broken over something as trivial as a videogame ruin it for those who actually do want to stay invested and/or speculate.

• Thumbs Up 2

One thing I had hoped for was that this game would expand upon Sonic’s world. Where do humans fit in? What kind of technology is mainstream? Things that went on in the background of Forces’ stages gave some hints, and I’d like to see that elaborated on. Iizuka said that Sonic travels between the human and furry worlds. How? Show us, please. 

If the leaks are anything to go by, then this is yet another “mysterious new world,” which means that we probably won’t get any of that stuff. 

We wouldn't get that kind of stuff anyway, they've always avoided worldbuilding outside of what's immediately necessary.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

We wouldn't get that kind of stuff anyway, they've always avoided worldbuilding outside of what's immediately necessary.

We got that kind of stuff in the Adventure games and Unleashed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, NoKaine said:
9 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

I don't even understand why people still bother theorizing.

Have you considered that there are people here who like talking about Sonic? This should not be surprising. It's okay if reality doesn't match your fantasy.  It's speculation, not playing a lottery. You're not trying to will things into existence.

Honestly, it is pretty baffling when people waste more time getting befuddled at the very notion of speculation. Like, seriously, if you're tapped out with the series, that's fine, but don't try and shut down the speculation scene with a melancholic poetry slam about how everything is "hopeless cause Sonic yadda yadda".

6 hours ago, NoKaine said:

Why are you even here if you are so mad and hopeless at the series that you won't even let yourself think about what the game will be like? I REALLY do not understand this mindset at all. Is this supposed to be, like, the ideal Sonic Fan Mindset, or something?

It's honestly a problem with people who get way too emotionally invested into something. It gets to the point where their feelings for the series compromise rational judgemental and thought.

It gets to a point where they can't fathom someone else "daring" to like what they don't like. And thus, just makes an unnecessary mess of things.

• Thumbs Up 7

2 minutes ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

We got that kind of stuff in the Adventure games and Unleashed. 

Because it was necessary to the story...

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, NoKaine said:

If all my speculation ends up wrong, if this leak turns out to be complete bullshit, it's like, eh, oh well.

If I ever find myself refusing to even think about the games, I'd ask myself "do I even like the series anymore? What am I doing on a forum specifically about this franchise I do not like?"

To be completely fair, not having any faith in Sonic Team's output (or even the games in general) specifically doesn't mean you no longer like the franchise. The franchise is more than just the stuff Sonic Team creates.

Hell, there are people who are still fans of franchises that are long since dead and no longer producing any content. 

Refusing to think about the games is probably just a defense mechanism to ensure you don't get too invested in "what could be" so that when or if you're disappointed in "what actually is", you won't lash out more then you probably already do. 

If this were a reaction to literally everything about the franchise, past or present, and not just the current state of the games I'd probably be more confused but I can't really blame anyone for having this outlook on the games at the moment. At the end of the day, I do still see it as coming from a place that desires good things for the Sonic games. 

I've definitely liked some of the Sonic games that have come out in the past 13 years since Unleashed and the All-Stars Racing games I'd even put on the same level of enjoyment I got from that but after so long I've kind of gotten tired of just going "Eh, oh well" or "That's more than I was expecting" as a response to certain things. 

That said, based on the leaks (of course not anything SEGA themselves wanted to do actually show us) I do have a sliver of hope for Rangers here. The only reason I'm reframing from speculation is because I need a little more to go off of. Talking about what I want seldom works out too because every time I do I tend to get very sad replies about the realistic affairs at Sonic Team and how impossible it will be to see them do any of what I want. Talking about what I want only to be told that I'm not getting what I want kind of kills any desire to speak about it.

• Thumbs Up 6

28 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Because it was necessary to the story...

Which is exactly what I’m saying...