Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers - Teaser Trailer

Sonictrainer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

Recent posts about the 'Sonic Frontiers' trademark information has been broken out into its own thread. This thread was originally about the game's announcement trailer way back in May, so it's a bit out of date to be posting significant game updates here.

Please remember to create a NEW forum topic if fresh news about a game has surfaced. This makes it a lot easier for users to find and discuss the latest news on SSMB. The side-chat about 'another solo Sonic game' may also be broken out into its own separate thread, to contain and avoid repeat discussions about it.

I don't know. Open world Sonic sounds too new and exciting to me. Being in an actual 3D environment and not trapped on some 2D plain with an interactive menu as my only means of getting to the next level? Sounds like something I'd actually want. 

Therefore it's totally not happening.

• Chuckle 1

How on earth do people keep falling for this 4chan shit? I thought Zippo might be credible cause apparently he got some other stuff sorta right in the past, but all these 4chan "leaks" are always the same. They'll say they have new information about a game that builds off of info that just recently came out, never before. The dates of these leaks should be what confirm it's all nonsense. Why do they tell you the leak with the (possibly) correct name AFTER the name is almost certain already? Why do they tell you details about a game AFTER those details were leaked almost certainly by accident from an actual retailer or distributer? It's always the same. You couldn't have done it a few days earlier? You just conveniently decided to spread word right when new info is already released?

The leaks always come out at the most convenient time. The timing of a leak is what determines it's credibility and 99% of them, such as the above for the supposed beta tester, are clearly fake. 

Just now, Iko said:

"Rangers" also seems to imply that there's more characters than just Sonic... but considering we had "even heroes need help" and "Resistance" in the past and excluding the avatar, it was still Sonic only, I wouldn't get my hopes up for playable friends.

I will say, open world makes Sonic's friends more possible than not. Just in pure gameplay logic, large open environments are probably easier to design for characters that can fly and glide, than ones narrow and restrictive as most modern Sonic games even going back to the adventure games.

That said, I'd be fairly surprised (in a good way) if something like this actually drops with playable knuckles and tails or something. But it's not impossible like it was in the boost games imo.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, Soniman said:

See if they hyped it up it'd he one thing but they're like "yeah it's different but this still sucks" makes this more believable than if they just ran down the list of things people wanted in a Sonic game and pretended it was a real gane.

Yeah but we expect Sonic to be garbage at this point.

Anyway it's...suspiciously close to what little we've seen but it also sounds like a pretty wild shift away from anything they've done with Sonic before so I don't really buy it yet. Not really anything to bother with at this point anyway; tuck it into the back of your mind and wait to see if anything backs it up if you want, I guess.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, McGroose said:

How on earth do people keep falling for this 4chan shit? I thought Zippo might be credible cause apparently he got some other stuff sorta right in the past, but all these 4chan "leaks" are always the same. They'll say they have new information about a game that builds off of info that just recently came out, never before. The dates of these leaks should be what confirm it's all nonsense. Why do they tell you the leak with the (possibly) correct name AFTER the name is almost certain already? Why do they tell you details about a game AFTER those details were leaked almost certainly by accident from an actual retailer or distributer? It's always the same. You couldn't have done it a few days earlier? You just conveniently decided to spread word right when new info is already released?

The leaks always come out at the most convenient time. The timing of a leak is what determines it's credibility and 99% of them, such as the above for the supposed beta tester, are clearly fake. 

Doesn't it say January 2021 though. It's not like this just came out a few days ago, it just seems like it was discovered recently. Again, gullible SOB so I probably will cling onto it regardless.

This is from January, waaay before the teaser even released.

• Thumbs Up 1

The original leak was in January of this year and then just came out again after the trailer. But identical information. 

It could be fake, but this one seems plausible.

2 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

I do hope if it's true it's a decision someone at Sonic Team wanted to do. That's how Unleashed happened. No one asked for boost gameplay and I'd say the lack of expectation there helped it.  Similarly, the Werehog has a sign of a lack of confidence,

I actually heard a lot from people that they want open world. Honestly, I think that this is interesting idea which is if executed well can be the breath of fresh air for the franchise. I'm personally very excited

• Fist Bump 3

I LOVE the idea of Sonic getting lots of room to run around in his maps but when I hear "open world" all I think of is Sonic Team lazily following the trend and plopping a Sonic that doesn't move well in an empty flat world. I don't trust them to have a basic enough understanding of Sonic's core mechanical strengths to go for "their own Utopia".

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1
  • My Emmerdoods 2

Here's the thing I'm wondering if this leak is true, how reflective of the current build would these impressions be? It was rough in January, but 5 months is a long while to polish stuff up and heaven knows what'll happen between now and release.

Well I'll be damned, it DOES say Jan 2021.

Awwwww nooooo, then this is that possible 1% then or an amazing fluke. To think that we overlooked this possible diamond in the rough in favor of other garbage

Well, based on what I've read, I can't exactly say what I'm reading is all that encouraging lol 

3 minutes ago, Natie said:

I LOVE the idea of Sonic getting lots of room to run around in his maps but when I hear "open world" all I think of is Sonic Team lazily following the trend and plopping a Sonic that doesn't move well in an empty flat world. I don't trust them to have a basic enough understanding of Sonic's core mechanical strengths to go for "their own Utopia".

This is the primary concern and what will determine if this game sucks or not. 

Its okay for ST to look at BOTW and get motivated, but they need to understand how important Sonic's controls and feel is. 

If Sonic feels anything like he's felt in recent games, this project was dead before release. If it's closer to a Utopia though, then this will be very interesting.

Oh good, if this leak is legit, Korok knockoffs. Cause those weren’t annoying in BotW and AOC 

1C1943CC-1CC3-4C17-B5B4-88A5DCB28E80.jpeg

Sonic's controls in the modern games is distinctly made with the boost gameplay and the linear level design in mind, i.e. they didn't feel the need to make Sonic loose since he will only go in one direction.

Sonic Team will no doubtedly change the control in response to the radically different gameplay style, but whether it's good obviously remains to be seen.

Just now, KHCast said:

Oh good, if this leak is legit, Korok knockoffs. Cause those weren’t annoying in BotW and AOC 

1C1943CC-1CC3-4C17-B5B4-88A5DCB28E80.jpeg

They weren't? Koroks are fun?

I like the idea of a tower with grind rails.

• Thumbs Up 1

While I am betting this is another Sonic solo game, I would love to see more playable characters here, since the game is supposedly called Rangers, which means more than one character with the s at the end. Also, I think more playable characters could work in an open world setting, as it would be good for adding areas other characters can reach that Sonic can't.

• Thumbs Up 8

2 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Koroks were good actually.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, McGroose said:

Amazing how we got way more info about the game that's all but confirmed leaks and careful analysis in the same day that the teaser trailer that revealed basically nothing came out. It truly is remarkable. 

This is part of SEGA's marketing strategy. Iizuka had the leakers tied in his basement and only now lets them out.

Just now, Diogenes said:

Right???

49 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Those bolded parts sound way too suspiciously close to what we saw in the teaser. And the fact that this leak references Sonic Rangers? Wow. I'm veering on the side of this being the real deal. I'm concerned about the opinions though. They're distinctly negative.

If they do actually make a open world Sonic game close to what is said there... Welp I just hope it ends up being more fun then it sounds like from what that person says. Even Pokemon is trying to do a open world game soon... which doesn't look good to me yet. And as much as I would love to see Sonic Team honestly try a open world Sonic game for once... but if their only try at it ends up looking like Pokemon Legends... or anything similar to this dull thing below, then it would be a pretty disappointing result.

If Sonic Team can at least make it a physics playground like Utopia, then there will be fun to be had overall no matter what... but this is Sonic Team we are talking about, I have my doubts including good physics in a modern Sonic game is high up their interest list. But one never knows!

• Thumbs Up 2

Exactly why this leak is more credible, the person doesn't act like they're in cahoots with a brand manager in how they know so much for the whole dang franchise, yet are vague as heck. Granted, the playtester angle has been done to death, but still. 

Also apparently press release data leaked and it's all saying Sonic Rangers.

3 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

Sonic's controls in the modern games is distinctly made with the boost gameplay and the linear level design in mind, i.e. they didn't feel the need to make Sonic loose since he will only go in one direction.

Sonic Team will no doubtedly change the control in response to the radically different gameplay style, but whether it's good obviously remains to be seen.

They weren't? Koroks are fun?

I like the idea of a tower with grind rails.

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Meh. I found them frustrating most of the time. Was happy they were just optional things, but didn’t get much out of them entertainment wise after the first couple. Item hunting things like that, especially when it’s for tons and tons of the item in question, over an entire map/maps, has never been my thing personally 

Well it's a very neat and good looking teaser. I hope it's going to be a decent game.

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

Meh. I found them frustrating most of the time. Was happy they were just optional things, but didn’t get much out of them entertainment wise after the first couple. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 4

26 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Those bolded parts sound way too suspiciously close to what we saw in the teaser. And the fact that this leak references Sonic Rangers? Wow. I'm veering on the side of this being the real deal. I'm concerned about the opinions though. They're distinctly negative.

I mean that's 4chan for you.

Jokes aside, their main gripe seems to be repetitive exploration and combat. Given that not only it was an early build but also that it had a skill tree and upgrade mechanic, it's possible they were playing with base starter level skills and more options or further combat upgrades weren't properly implemented yet.

Either that or, since Sonic Team is dead afraid of any ideas coming from projects that flopped, they're avoiding a more developed combat because of how the Werehog and Rise of Lyric were received.

• Thumbs Up 1