Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers - Teaser Trailer

Sonictrainer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

Recent posts about the 'Sonic Frontiers' trademark information has been broken out into its own thread. This thread was originally about the game's announcement trailer way back in May, so it's a bit out of date to be posting significant game updates here.

Please remember to create a NEW forum topic if fresh news about a game has surfaced. This makes it a lot easier for users to find and discuss the latest news on SSMB. The side-chat about 'another solo Sonic game' may also be broken out into its own separate thread, to contain and avoid repeat discussions about it.

I am literally not following you all right now. I'm just going to wait for new info during E3 or after

Thoughts on the name.

Sonic Zao...Zao...Chao...Chaos?

Is there a connection here? Could Zao be a reference to something involving the Chao or the Chaos Emeralds, hence the ancient ruin vibes from the title card?

This game doesn't sound good but it sounds more interesting than making another Boost game so I'm for it. Maybe with another year of polish it can turn into something fun. BOTW didn't really come together until the last stretch either IIRC.

• Thumbs Up 5

:unsure: :play_pause: !!  woah hold on a second!!  just realizing, i am happy to see that the focus/playtester did not mention bad physics, or any glitches, or that it was difficult to control Sonic, or that the camera was dysfunctional.

If that was already sorted out (although it is just one person's opinion, they were open about critiquing other aspects) and they have more than a year left to complete the game, that is a very good situation!!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

Interesting that according to the leak, Generations (boost?) gameplay hasn’t been entirely ditched, since the way they describe the special stages (calling it those since chaos emeralds are rewarded for beating them) makes me think those will be the more traditional levels we’ve come to expect, but probably as short, if not shorter, than Forces modern stages

So if that’s the case, wouldn’t that imply that this definitely is Sonic only? Since I cannot see them incorporating the other characters into the boost gameplay mechanics all of a sudden 

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic in an open world could be lots of fun, and the whole circle enemies to destroy them thing reminds me of that one power-up from Pac-Man World 3. Granted, this sounds much more fun and open even if the 4chan leaker said it was very repetitive. It just heavily depends on how Sonic controls. It could just be a lucky guess, but until we get more info, I’m going to choose to believe the guy. Running around a huge world at a fast pace sounds like it could work for Sonic, but this is Sonic Team so we’ll have to see. It depends on the scope, but I’m very much for a game where simply booting it up just to explore the massive world is fun on its own.  It’s good replay value. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Way Past Cool 1

I think the interesting about open world Sonic is that it feels ambitious from the get go. Rough or not, it's something you can't just poop out like Forces and run with. So goddamn it is encouraging in that regard.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

2 minutes ago, expansivelovestories said:

:unsure: :play_pause: !!  woah hold on a second!!  just realizing, i am happy to see that the focus/playtester did not mention bad physics, or any glitches, or that it was difficult to control Sonic, or that the camera was dysfunctional.

If that was already sorted out (although it is just one person's opinion, they were open about critiquing other aspects) and they have more than a year left to complete the game, that is a very good situation!!

My thoughts too. This was in January, so there are many months left to tweak the game to get it right.

If this is true, and ngl this sounds very true, this is quite exciting for me as a very long time fan. 

Maybe, finally, Sonic will have his first game in 3D that "gets it". 

....maybe.... Lol

• Thumbs Up 2

If there are any loops/corkscrews/etc. in this open world, I wonder if they are going to function the same or function differently?

I can see we’re gonna have a long few weeks before reveal...

I’d say more, but we’re nine pages in. I got nothing. 😂 

2 minutes ago, Jango said:

this shit is legit, no way he guessed all that on accident.

Unless they somehow changed the date of the post to make it believable, yes, it seems to be legit or at least credible enough. I still don't know how to feel about that because they say it's boring, but the idea seems interesting in theory.

I'm glad that (if this is true) it's not the same boost gameplay over and over.

• Thumbs Up 1

An open world Sonic game is sounding pretty interesting. I hope they can pull it off, because this is something I'd wanted for a long while. A big open space is perfect for a fast character like Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I love how we're all pretty much on-board with this leak being legit. Honestly, I like the sound of what I'm reading there too. And it sounds legit all things considered.

I've always loved the idea of Sonic in an open world, but I've never seen anyone outline an open world Sonic concept that actually sounds good, and that's always put me off the idea. If Sonic Team are gonna be mad men and actually give it a shot, I'm interested. I'm cautious and it's probably gonna be shit because Forces was a lazy Generations/Colours clone and they couldn't even do that right but... yeah, I'm interested. 

It's just... such an ambitious sounding idea. Especially since the game proceeding it was fucking Sonic Forces.

I'm praying it's true honestly. Even if they don't do it perfectly it'd be a sign that they're willing to give something interesting a chance again.

Hell, it'd be more than a sign. They'd be diving head first into something completely new again.

• Thumbs Up 5

3 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I love how we're all pretty much on-board with this leak being legit. Honestly, I like the sound of what I'm reading there too. And it sounds legit all things considered.

I've always loved the idea of Sonic in an open world, but I've never seen anyone outline an open world Sonic concept that actually sounds good, and that's always put me off the idea. If Sonic Team are gonna be mad men and actually give it a shot, I'm interested. I'm cautious and it's probably gonna be shit because Forces was a lazy Generations/Colours clone and they couldn't even do that right but... yeah, I'm interested. 

I'm on board because I like this idea. After a game where you could literally beat a level in less than 30 seconds, going to an open world game sounds like a bold move, which is something Sonic Team haven't done in quite some time. I wanna see how they do it. They can add so much cool stuff. Places from all eras. Angel Island, Station Square... Granted I'm probably already dreaming too high, but still. This idea got me more excited than the CGI trailer that DIDN'T SAID ANYTHING. Why SEGA does that? 

• My Emmerdoods 1

8 minutes ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

My thoughts too. This was in January, so there are many months left to tweak the game to get it right.

If this is true, and ngl this sounds very true, this is quite exciting for me as a very long time fan. 

Maybe, finally, Sonic will have his first game in 3D that "gets it". 

....maybe.... Lol

The fact it was described that way leads me to believe that the most important thing to them was the way Sonic controls in this open environment, which is promising. If they fill up the world with things to do and make it massive enough, it could be fantastic. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Best thing from this, is that almost all the sonic fans aboard this rumor have positive feelings about this new direction, and we all accept that the result may not be great but the attempt is worth it.

And yes, it is worth it. I enjoy Sonic generations, but open world Sonic has more potential to be really great IMO.

• Thumbs Up 7

I think this is the best route to take if real. Open world with smaller traditional Generations boost style stages. Both into one game.

Because an open world only game could feel pretty empty if done wrong...

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 2

So, this game takes place in some kind of cyberspace?

If so, I think the ghost girl that was mentioned is some kind of hologram.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll say I like the idea of that paraloop attack, a good choice for a character who's most often in motion rather than just punching. I hope other attacks are in that vein.

• Thumbs Up 5

56 minutes ago, Betz said:

Thread in question: https://arch.b4k.co/v/thread/539349521/#q539349521

Honestly bros... I'm thinking it's real...

*The date is January 6, 2021*

Oh. Oh my goodness. Um. Huh. This is looking like it might be very real. I knew it had something to do with a virtual reality. If the cyberspace levels are "Generations" style, then I'm guessing the place in the teaser is one of those levels?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Jack-al said:

I think this is the best route to take if real. Open world with smaller traditional Generations boost style stages. Both into one game.

Because an open world only game could feel pretty empty if done wrong...

"empty" in open world case would mean that there is not a lot of interaction, but you have to consider that with Sonic, even slopes can be fun. 

If the game controls well enough and has responsive physics, an empty open world would be fun if for no reason than to see what you can do. 

Ideally, a Sonic game like this would have a physics engine on par with Breath of the Wild, but that would never happen. That's not even me downplaying Sonic Team's capabilities, the physics engine in Breath of the Wild is literally magical. 

• Thumbs Up 1