Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers - Teaser Trailer

Sonictrainer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

Recent posts about the 'Sonic Frontiers' trademark information has been broken out into its own thread. This thread was originally about the game's announcement trailer way back in May, so it's a bit out of date to be posting significant game updates here.

Please remember to create a NEW forum topic if fresh news about a game has surfaced. This makes it a lot easier for users to find and discuss the latest news on SSMB. The side-chat about 'another solo Sonic game' may also be broken out into its own separate thread, to contain and avoid repeat discussions about it.

Note, there are similar sounding leaks elsewhere, but these are less reputable because well, it's from today rather than months ago. 

Anyway, in regards to other stuff, teaser was animated by Marza (check the whole thread):

• Thumbs Up 1

I've said it before in this thread, but for you fans for whom "multiple playable characters" is a high priority, I think an open world playstyle makes that more possible than the previous 3D sonic attempts we've seen. I wouldn't feel confident saying they're going to be in this game, but I suppose I wouldn't be utterly shocked to see a Tails, Knuckles, or Amy playable.

Anyway, the hype is pretty real for me and I need to calm down a bit. Y'all just don't know, I've been a diehard as a little kid since day1. Now I'm a "much older little kid" and SEGA is finally (...possibly..) getting close to making my dream Sonic game. Just out of nowhere, they're finally listening to ME, the guy who the franchise passed by a long time ago.

Very much looking forward to June, assuming the game will be talked about at E3 or some event next month...I thought I heard that anyway.

• Thumbs Up 6

I pray it is NOT all simply generic grassy empty fields & forests which you explore in. So many open world games & RPGs often have the most mind-numbing boring environments... Even if this game has those things, I just hope it has other more interesting locations also!

• Thumbs Up 6

I guess I can also understand why SEGA may have decided to avoid talking about the game now, regardless of the state it's in. If it's not releasing this year it would just be taking attention away from Colours and the Collection which I'm sure SEGA want to still do well against the radically different idea of Rangers. And there really is no way to make a solid 10 second teaser of something like this, regardless of if it's good or bad. How do you really tease open world in a way that really sells the gameplay in only a few seconds?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Razule said:

Lol, I can't believe we got more exciting information out of a half-year old leak no one believed than the reveal teaser that came out

Well, I can believe it, but it is funny. 

One's a teaser and one is personal experience from playing the game, allegedly, so it would actually be disappointing if this leak said less than the teaser.

Marza did tease a few tweets with, Night of the Werehog ghost girl, plus Sonic has pink hologram energy in the teaser. Maybe...?

Just now, Jack-al said:

Marza did tease a few tweets with, Night of the Werehog ghost girl, plus Sonic has pink hologram energy in the teaser. Maybe...?

Marza tweets that ghost girl every day. I don't think it means anything.

• Chuckle 2
  • Absolutely 1

I feel confident in saying the "spincycle" thing is true because Sonic Team very desperately wants to make another NiGHTS game again and have been for decades.

4 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Marza tweets that ghost girl every day. I don't think it means anything.

Let me dream

• Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 2

3 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

One's a teaser and one is personal experience from playing the game, allegedly, so it would actually be disappointing if this leak said less than the teaser.

I don't think it'd be possible to say less about the game, but if the purpose of the teaser was to hype it up, the leak does it better. I hope more will be revealed at E3.

• Thumbs Up 7

Just now, Razule said:

I don't think it'd be possible to say less about the game, but if the purpose of the teaser was to hype it up, the leak does it better. I hope more will be revealed at E3.

I find it unlikely, since the new Sonic game was just revealed, close to E3.

5 minutes ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

I've said it before in this thread, but for you fans for whom "multiple playable characters" is a high priority, I think an open world playstyle makes that more possible than the previous 3D sonic attempts we've seen. I wouldn't feel confident saying they're going to be in this game, but I suppose I wouldn't be utterly shocked to see a Tails, Knuckles, or Amy playable.

Anyway, the hype is pretty real for me and I need to calm down a bit. Y'all just don't know, I've been a diehard as a little kid since day1. Now I'm a "much older little kid" and SEGA is finally (...possibly..) getting close to making my dream Sonic game. Just out of nowhere, they're finally listening to ME, the guy who the franchise passed by a long time ago.

Very much looking forward to June, assuming the game will be talked about at E3 or some event next month...I thought I heard that anyway.

I’m glad this game makes you feel that way if this does turn out to be the truth. I don’t know what my dream Sonic game would be at this point, but I do love the way SA1 plays. Multiple playable characters has never been much of thing for me as I really only care if they get Sonic right, but if they can manage to add in elements that make exploring fun for the other characters or unique to them, then I’m all for it. Maybe it won’t be for this game particularly, but if this proves to be a commercial and critical success, I wouldn’t be surprised if a sequel tries to bring in the other characters.

• Fist Bump 1

6 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

How do you really tease open world in a way that really sells the gameplay in only a few seconds?

I don't know if it would sell it, but to really tease the open-world aspect it should've at least shown Sonic in a more open area.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Razule said:

I argue there's not much of a way to really make it look great without still relying on a lot of trust like they did here today. Open world is just such a big beast. And even if they gave us a gameplay synopsis, they probably wouldn't have revealed half of what that leak did.

I bet the person who posted that on 4chan and was called a liar is feeling pretty good now. Not Zippo, tho', that bitch is a liar.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Chuckle 1

13 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

I guess I can also understand why SEGA may have decided to avoid talking about the game now, regardless of the state it's in. If it's not releasing this year it would just be taking attention away from Colours and the Collection which I'm sure SEGA want to still do well against the radically different idea of Rangers. And there really is no way to make a solid 10 second teaser of something like this, regardless of if it's good or bad. How do you really tease open world in a way that really sells the gameplay in only a few seconds?

Just do what Breath of the Wild did

2017022122135200-F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.jpg

A single shot showing how vast the game is and teasing what some other areas may be like.

Just now, Ratcicle King said:

Just do what Breath of the Wild did

A single shot showing how vast the game is and teasing what some other areas may be like.

The difference is that people knew that game would at least be good. The freaking Zelda team got away with essentially this song and dance for multiple years because they had trust. Sonic Team's trust is in some NYC dumpster.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 2
  • Too Many Rings 1

1 minute ago, Winston said:

I’m glad this game makes you feel that way if this does turn out to be the truth. I don’t know what my dream Sonic game would be at this point, but I do love the way SA1 plays. Multiple playable characters has never been much of thing for me as I really only care if they get Sonic right, but if they can manage to add in elements that make exploring fun for the other characters or unique to them, then I’m all for it. Maybe it won’t be for this game particularly, but if this proves to be a commercial and critical success, I wouldn’t be surprised if a sequel tries to bring in the other characters.

Yeah. Essentially, I always remember how I felt as a elementary school kid between Sonic 3 and Knuckles, and then the original magazine scans for Sonic Adventure back in 1998. In that time period I have never been more hyped for a video game in my life and that remains true today. I've always admired Hirokazu Yasuhara and his thinking on Sonic level design, that he always thought of them within a fully 3D context, so I've always dreamt about what it would look like to have Sonic moving through an expansive 3D world with momentum physics. SA1 got the closest to it (and really is the only Sonic game to somewhat approximate it), but lacked focus and refinement. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

1 minute ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

The difference is that people knew that game would at least be good. The freaking Zelda team got away with essentially this song and dance for multiple years because they had trust. Sonic Team's trust is in some NYC dumpster.

While I agree with you on the trust thing, I don’t think doing what BotW did and showing a shot showing off the vastness of the game, would harm them or cause much trust/distrust to change 

21 minutes ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

As the characters are among the main reasons I like this series at all... yeah... it does make me happy to see the series maybe change into a direction that supports other characters far better, unlike the boost games. However Tails & Knuckles wouldn't be anything for me to get exited over the idea of it personally. I want more unusual choices like Fang the Sniper or my faves Blaze & Metal-Sonic. Having the exact same few reoccurring side-cast ever be the only ones as playable when it does happen is barely any better then solo Sonic for me personally.

Just now, Wraith said:

Whether you like open world or not,  consider was dead in the water before we found out about this tidbit. This thread exploded and discussion is blowing up in other places too. Why keep something like that a secret? I had already assumed it was another boost game and written it off! Now I'm actually curious!

Exactly, me too. Before the 4chan post was brought back I was already "Meh, this again? Whatever Sonic Team", but now I'm "HMMM".

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

exploration and combat was super boring, very button mashy but whatever

This part of the 4chan post here isn't inspiring any confidence for me.

4 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Whether you like open world or not,  consider that this teaser was dead in the water before we found out about these tidbit. This thread exploded and discussion is blowing up in other places too. Why keep something like an open ended 3D Sonic game a secret? I had already assumed it was another boost game and written it off! Now I'm actually curious!

Fair enough. I guess the big thing is that it just tells us we're going in a whole new direction.

That alone is really exciting. Even if it could be a HUGE mess.

1 minute ago, Johnster4 said:

This part of the 4chan post here isn't inspiring any confidence for me.

If there's anything I can say to maybe help. It was very long ago, who knows how long they've been polishing it.

• Thumbs Up 1