Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers - Teaser Trailer

Sonictrainer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

Recent posts about the 'Sonic Frontiers' trademark information has been broken out into its own thread. This thread was originally about the game's announcement trailer way back in May, so it's a bit out of date to be posting significant game updates here.

Please remember to create a NEW forum topic if fresh news about a game has surfaced. This makes it a lot easier for users to find and discuss the latest news on SSMB. The side-chat about 'another solo Sonic game' may also be broken out into its own separate thread, to contain and avoid repeat discussions about it.

3 minutes ago, Johnster4 said:

This part of the 4chan post here isn't inspiring any confidence for me.

According to the same person, it was a focus test a year prior.

And like other people said, if the worst criticism is that exploration or combat is "boring" and not any critique on controls, other gameplay, camera, etc., that is a really good start.

But it's also why I'm somewhat skeptical of the leak. It's a detail that someone who thinks that "Sonic game is bad" makes a leak more believable.

EDIT: Also, it never mentions anything like attack buttons or combo strings, the only noted attack Sonic has is the spincycle so how exactly would it be button mashy?

An open-world Sonic game definitely sounds interesting, especially if it were drawing influence from something like BotW. I'm not particularly a fan of the genre, but I'd be down to Sonic try it, at least if it turned out well. Some info in that leak sounds disconcerting, though, especially about the "button mashy combat." Most Sonic games that have focused on combat have turned out like that, particularly Heroes and 06, so that bit resonates harshly. Not to say combat in a Sonic game can't work, but it would have to blend in organically with the speed-based gameplay while still offering enough variety to stay interesting. I can't imagine that's an easy thing to pull off.

I'll wait and see if this turns out to be true, but it would be a new direction, at the very least. In any case, I'm glad to see some people are getting excited about it.

I'm going to personally ignore the 4chan leak for now; I'd rather not go in with any expectations until there's more physical evidence to back them up. It might be real, like the Sonic Wars stuff was, but I'd rather air on the side of caution before I start speculating on "how do I expect this open world Sonic game will play" and the like.

I am curious about the supposed title leak. If the name is being shared with all these news outlets like Polygon but is absent in today's teaser, do you think it's safe to say we'll be getting more info soon, like at E3 or on 6-23? I feel like if it's going to be a while before we learn more they wouldn't have had details like that referenced in press material.

• Thumbs Up 1

I also like the idea of entering a cyberspace to obtain a Chaos Emerald, isn't that exactly how we do in the classics? That's so cool. I was tired of getting the Chaos Emeralds from cutscenes in 3D games. When was the last time we got them from the ACTUAL game? Heroes?

• Thumbs Up 4

I’m generally ok with Sonic taking inspiration from botw, would have thought Mario Odyssey would have played more of an inspiration role if they were looking at Nintendo titles, but I can see why they’d go with BotW, if we’re strictly talking exploration stuff moreso than 3D platforming. Now just don’t do a Sonic Souls like thing next Sega lol

5 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

EDIT: Also, it never mentions anything like attack buttons or combo strings, the only noted attack Sonic has is the spincycle so how exactly would it be button mashy?

Because there are presumably attacks besides the spincycle? It mentions the spincycle in the context of unlocking abilities in a skill tree. And it does also mentions a "lock on attack" (homing attack I guess).

Just now, Jango said:

I also like the idea of entering a cyberspace to obtain a Chaos Emerald, isn't that exactly how we do in the classics? That's so cool. I was tired of getting the Chaos Emeralds from cutscenes in 3D games. When was the last time we got them from ACTUAL levels? Heroes?

Colors? Lost World?

Summer Game Fest specifically mentioned Sonic will be attending. It's not impossible more details will be unveiled there or E3. The only other thing they could do is either announce ANOTHER game, or give some extra details about Colours Ultimate.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Diogenes said:

Because there are presumably attacks besides the spincycle? It mentions the spincycle in the context of unlocking abilities in a skill tree. And it does also mentions a "lock on attack" (homing attack I guess).

Yeah, I caught that when I read the link again. Interesting.

What kind of enemies would a game like this have anyway?

Just now, KHCast said:

Colors? Lost World?

Wait, Colors had CE? Oh, yeah... You got them from those Sonic simulators... Fair enough. As for LW, I've only played the first world before giving up the game lol

• Thumbs Up 1

This has been crazy. A few hours ago  (and 20 minutes ago, when I read the thread) I was completely sure it was just going to be another Boost game with a fancy gimmick, but nope, we're going experimental again. I don't know if what's next will be good, but it does look interesting. They're actually trying to innovate Sonic again. Which is a weird thing to say when the last time they tried was the game before the most recent one, but somehow, that was nearly a decade ago. Christ. I was just starting high school..

Time's arrow marching forward aside, I'm looking forward to this.

• Thumbs Up 3

You got Emeralds in Lost World by collecting all the Red Rings, if I remember correctly.

The 3DS version had (horrible) Special Stages.

2 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

I am curious about the supposed title leak. If the name is being shared with all these news outlets like Polygon but is absent in today's teaser, do you think it's safe to say we'll be getting more info soon, like at E3 or on 6-23? I feel like if it's going to be a while before we learn more they wouldn't have had details like that referenced in press material.

It does seem like there could be a full reveal trailer on the way!   just, for this one to not even have included the name, it feels like something meant to linger for a few weeks, not months!  

18 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

The difference is that people knew that game would at least be good. The freaking Zelda team got away with essentially this song and dance for multiple years because they had trust. Sonic Team's trust is in some NYC dumpster.

And yet what they actually did here was even worse than showing a shot like that and leaving at it. They showed literally nothing, in fact, if it weren't for people datamining the trailer's code, and fucking crossreferencing the name found in it with a leak from 5 months ago, people would right now, based on just what SEGA had to offer, have their first impressions, for god knows how long until they decide to reveal more of the game, be nothing short of frustration and apathy because of how they're still trying to give us crumbs like they did with Forces.

• Thumbs Up 2

Man.... Do you understand how large this open world would have to be to contain Boost Sonic? How much track you'd have to lay down in all directions?!

Populating this world with things to find and do will not be easy. If this is true, Sonic Team is doing the exact opposite of sitting on their hands here. They are going for it.

• Thumbs Up 7

3 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Man.... Do you understand how large this open world would have to be to contain Boost Sonic? How much track you'd have to lay down in all directions?!

Populating this world with things to find and do will not be easy. If this is true, Sonic Team is doing the exact opposite of sitting on their hands here. They are going for it.

The Boost gameplay according to the leak is relegated to its own levels/stages. It’s not intertwined with the open world stuff apparently 

There is no damn way they'll have boost speeds in an open world, especially if they're aiming for Switch/PS4/XBONE.

He'll be fast, but he'll be manageable fast.

3 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

With Sonic it's not even about there being a lot of horizontal track, but vertical track too. A lot of the fun of good Sonic is going as much up and down and all around. When you see the opening of Sonic CD, that's the kind of open world traversal I'd have in mind.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

^ For the first gameplay trailer, they should just re-create the first 10 seconds of the Sonic CD opening in the new engine and drop it on our heads.

The internet would break.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Too Many Rings 1

14 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

^ For the first gameplay trailer, they should just re-create the first 10 seconds of the Sonic CD opening in the new engine and drop it on our heads.

The internet would break.

Totally worth tweeting to SEGA, even though this rumor may be false and they can't respond right now anyway.

Heck, I'd do it if I could remember my Twitter login info (never use it).

• Thumbs Up 1

Well then, if the concept is already in our heads, when will we hear about this aforementioned title again? I'm expecting we'll need to wait until Colours releases, and then SEGA will start dumping bits and pieces here and there.

And then there's the release date, I'm thinking it'll come out March-April, and some people think the holiday, which would match up with Forces, albeit two months early. Of course, we know the Movie is releasing in April, so we don't know how much SEGA would want to prioritize that as their golden date.

We seem to have an idea of what this game is like atm, so maybe it's far enough in development to justify the March-April release. As far as we know, it was in a really rough state in January, but atm is a mystery.

11 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Well then, if the concept is already in our heads, when will we hear about this aforementioned title again? I'm expecting we'll need to wait until Colours releases, and then SEGA will start dumping bits and pieces here and there.

And then there's the release date, I'm thinking it'll come out March-April, and some people think the holiday, which would match up with Forces, albeit two months early. Of course, we know the Movie is releasing in April, so we don't know how much SEGA would want to prioritize that as their golden date.

We seem to have an idea of what this game is like atm, so maybe it's far enough in development to justify the March-April release. As far as we know, it was in a really rough state in January, but atm is a mystery.

Would they want two big Sonic release to happen around the same time though? I know the marketing would be handled by two different teams, but they'd still have to be pushing both at the time. If it released in the summer it'd be close to the 31st anniversary.

I'm preety positive for this game because of the realistic florest. I miss that aesthetic.
Also, I find it strange that the end of the trailer looked like south america ancient murals, maybe is a hint about some echidna connection?