Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers - Teaser Trailer

Sonictrainer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

Recent posts about the 'Sonic Frontiers' trademark information has been broken out into its own thread. This thread was originally about the game's announcement trailer way back in May, so it's a bit out of date to be posting significant game updates here.

Please remember to create a NEW forum topic if fresh news about a game has surfaced. This makes it a lot easier for users to find and discuss the latest news on SSMB. The side-chat about 'another solo Sonic game' may also be broken out into its own separate thread, to contain and avoid repeat discussions about it.

Are the current leaks about Sonic Rangers compatible with what Zippo said about the upcoming fully 3D game? Because if so, we might end up getting a 2D boost game at E3.

I hope if the 4chan leak is real that the "cyberspace" stages are not basically just a tool to pad the game while minimizing the need to create fresh assets. I hope they're fully fledged out levels visually and not essentially the Sonic Simulator from SC.

Always gotta love how every Sonic release has such polarizing reactions, literally always.

Anyway, open-world certainly sounds more attractive than just another Boost game, even if I would have preferred an Adventure follow up. It's something different at the very least and that's all I've wanted from Sonic more than anything right now, just something to take the series into the next generation.

"Rangers" implies there's gonna be some focus on the environment and nature this time around, so I guess Eggman is gonna be doing his usual "Fuck shit up with technology" and the gimmick is about restoring or preventing that.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Spooky Mulder said:

I hope if the 4chan leak is real that the "cyberspace" stages are not basically just a tool to pad the game while minimizing the need to create fresh assets. I hope they're fully fledged out levels visually and not essentially the Sonic Simulator from SC.

Or the cyberspace stages are the real stages and the open world stuff is the hub you run around to unlock stuff to access them.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Razule said:

Or the cyberspace stages are the real stages and the open world stuff is the hub you run around to unlock stuff to access them.

Based on how he described it that doesn't seem to be the case

3 minutes ago, Razule said:

I can live with that as long as they're fleshed out. My fear is that we end up with the worst of both worlds: an open world that's basically just a hub world to access flat, low poly level geometry with some easily reusable cyberspace-themed textures applied.

Saddened by the lack of Tron memes, since the whole “going to the digital world” thing seems to be an important part of the game 

• Chuckle 1

31 minutes ago, Razule said:

Would they want two big Sonic release to happen around the same time though? I know the marketing would be handled by two different teams, but they'd still have to be pushing both at the time. If it released in the summer it'd be close to the 31st anniversary.

Technically the 30th doesn't end until June again. You see Nintendo get away with that a lot. 

8 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Saddened by the lack of Tron memes, since the whole “going to the digital world” thing seems to be an important part of the game 

I don't really think Sonic fans have seen Tron...

15 minutes ago, KHCast said:

If it's any consolation. we'll have plenty of Digimon memes to fill the void.

• Chuckle 1

Yeah the details in the leak sound positive if the game can be pulled off correctly (and that’s a hell of an “if,” mind you). That’s actually a clever way to make the game longer- just give us an open world and more focus on combat. 

I really hope the cyberspace levels aren’t just digital abstractions. That would be really boring. Also it would be nice if there could be some worldbuilding this time. 

I know pretending other characters matter in Sonic-only games is a common trope for Sonic at this point, but does it bother anyone else that the name "Sonic Rangers" is...Rangers, like, plural? Who are the other rangers? Are we gonna see the avatar creator again? Probably not, but after Forces was at least a game that represented the title in that manner, it's kind of annoying if it's another solo-Sonic joint. I still think the avatar creator would be great for multiplayer stuff.

He’ll probably be the only playable character, while the other Rangers are there for story purposes/be npc’s. As I said earlier, if they’re keeping the boost gameplay intact for the “digital levels”, I can’t see the other characters being playable. I mean, I guess in the Hub place, but that’d be pretty shallow I feel if they can’t take advantage of the entire game and it’s features like Sonic

Time to see if today's Sonic Team can handle an open world game, then.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yea, not expecting anyone but Sonic to be playable as has been the norm since 2008. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

2 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Time to see if today's Sonic Team can handle an open world game, then.

I guess it shows that they’re trying this time. An open world must be at least as asset-intensive as Unleashed. 

Legit kinda concerned that this game is hitting every platform, now that I think about it. Switch versions of PS4/XB1 games were already significant downgrades as the Switch is basically a generation behind them. Forces on Switch looked like crap and played like crap too. But now we're looking at something on XBX/PS5, XB1/PS4 and Switch.  That's just so much hardware variation. Yes I know what the Switch Pro is rumoured, but we don't know anything about it officially yet. I'm worried not only that the Switch version (and the XB1/PS4 versions to a lesser extent) will be shit, but developing for the game across 2 to 3 generations of hardware will drag down the game as a whole.

Guess we'll see how it pans out in the end. I'm doubtful that we'll get a whole separate version ala Unleashed Wii, Colours DS etc.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Absolutely 1

I want this game to surprise me by having other characters playable (not counting avatar) but if it's another Solo-Sonic game, I'm not even gonna bother with it. Between that, lack of 3D gameplay and little to no care of plot and characterization, I'm tired of the bare minimum that's been incorporated since Colors.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Blue Blood said:

Legit kinda concerned that this game is hitting every platform, now that I think about it. Switch versions of PS4/XB1 games were already significantly downgrades as the Switch is more or less a generation behind them. Forces on Switch looked like crap and played like crap too. But now we're looking at something on XBX/PS5, XB1/PS4 and Switch.  That's just so much hardware variation. Yes I know what the Switch Pro is rumoured, but we don't know anything about it officially yet. I'm worried not only that the Switch version (and the XB1/PS4 versions to a lesser extent) will be shit, but developing for the game across 2 to 3 generations of hardware will drag down the game as a whole.

Guess we'll see how it pans out in the end. I'm doubtful that we'll get a whole separate version ala Unleashed Wii, Colours DS etc.

I don’t think they’d do this, but I bet they could go for an entirely different art style for the Switch version, and then have that be optional for the other versions. Like, cel-shaded and lower detail. I dunno. It would compromise the game’s identity but it would be better than having a 15fps textureless piece of crap. 

3 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Legit kinda concerned that this game is hitting every platform, now that I think about it. Switch versions of PS4/XB1 games were already significant downgrades as the Switch is basically a generation behind them. Forces on Switch looked like crap and played like crap too. But now we're looking at something on XBX/PS5, XB1/PS4 and Switch.  That's just so much hardware variation. Yes I know what the Switch Pro is rumoured, but we don't know anything about it officially yet. I'm worried not only that the Switch version (and the XB1/PS4 versions to a lesser extent) will be shit, but developing for the game across 2 to 3 generations of hardware will drag down the game as a whole.

Forces Switch looked and played incredibly well, in my opinion. The worst sacrifice was framerate. But yeah, the Switch version probably won't be good. Unless they outsource it. 

9 minutes ago, knuckles20 said:

I want this game to surprise me by having other characters playable (not counting avatar) but if it's another Solo-Sonic game, I'm not even gonna bother with it. Between that, lack of 3D gameplay and little to no care of plot and characterization, I'm tired of the bare minimum that's been incorporated since Colors.

I am remembering Aaron's last hint which had the cards of Sonic, Tails and Knuckles.  initially once the actual Sonic card game was revealed it felt like it might have been about that, but, Aaron's hints have always been about actual games!  Open world certainly feels like it could be compatible for reintroducing Tails and Knuckles into actual full gameplay, but where the playtester only was given Sonic, it is hard to know if what they experienced was more Sonic-centric; for example if they would have their own personal styles of bonus stages (which would be excellent!!)

Lending credence to the "going into cyberspace" idea, it looks like Sonic actually disappears partway through the "boost" looking effect. I think its safe to say either way that this isn't just some new stylized version of the boost. (I think. I welcome anyone else who wants to try to grab a screenshot showing Sonic's form after this point. I haven't been able to pull it off yet)

SmartSelect_20210527-201446_YouTube.jpg

• Thumbs Up 8

7 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Part of me is happy it’s on previous hardware, because fuck me trying to get a PS5 or Series X those are STILL annoying to get even now, but then I’m also concerned about the cutbacks they might have to make holding back it’s potential

• Thumbs Up 4

I mean, I feel like a Switch version would play fine. Obviously compromised in places, but I don't think to the point of bringing down the whole game. And I also doubt this game was gonna take full advantage of the new consoles anyways, considering how long its likely been in development. 

Though I expect a pro version to be the most stable of the two.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Spooky Mulder said:

Lending credence to the "going into cyberspace" idea, it looks like Sonic actually disappears partway through the "boost" looking effect. I think its safe to say either way that this isn't just some new stylized version of the boost.

SmartSelect_20210527-201446_YouTube.jpg

What if this seamlessly takes you to the “digital world”? Kinda like Sonic CD’s time travel mechanic, but like, instant with no transition

• Thumbs Up 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1