Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers - Teaser Trailer

Sonictrainer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

Recent posts about the 'Sonic Frontiers' trademark information has been broken out into its own thread. This thread was originally about the game's announcement trailer way back in May, so it's a bit out of date to be posting significant game updates here.

Please remember to create a NEW forum topic if fresh news about a game has surfaced. This makes it a lot easier for users to find and discuss the latest news on SSMB. The side-chat about 'another solo Sonic game' may also be broken out into its own separate thread, to contain and avoid repeat discussions about it.

I've deciphered those symbols. 

"Get fucked, Adventure fans."

Ah. Seems about right.

12 minutes ago, Graystripe2000 said:

So, uhhh, what are we gonna codename this besides mystery game?

Sonic Boost 4

4 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Sonic 2022 for now, I guess.

I'm going to make a call and say this is Sonic Colors 2, either in title or spirit. That Wisp sfx at the start of the teaser and those weird visual effects coupled with those alien glyphs at the end are giving me Colors vibes hardcore.

Between this and Colors Ultimate, I think Sonic Team have decided to lean in hard on that game's success to carry the franchise a bit. Could be wrong, but that's my take.

Laser (wisp) focused to make me unhappy. lmao

Nothing to get excited over yet whatsoever as expected. The only thing the teaser trailer revealed was... a ugly & basic realistic forest environment... I REALLY DO NOT want Sonic to go back aiming towards generic realistic video game environments, it is extremely unfitting to the character designs.  I HATE mixed art-styles. Sure stuff like Lost World had gone to much in the Lego toy world direction of art design... but going fully the opposite direction is not appealing for me even slightly. I hope at least they have crazy fantasy/scifi environments regardless of the art style, and no generic realistic city or forest zones in the actual game.

But possible art style aside, there is more important things to worry about like what kinda gameplay we will get and if there will be other playable characters. But gotta wait a long time for those answers I imagine. So nothing much to discuss.

3 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Between this and Colors Ultimate, I think Sonic Team have decided to lean in hard on that game's success to carry the franchise a bit. Could be wrong, but that's my take.

Don't disagree at all given how Iizuka has said he wanted Wisps to be a staple in the series. I personally don't mind them just my fear is hope they're implemented good as they were in Colors or like how they can be items in Team Sonic Racing which at least they're more unique than the generic items in All Stars Racing Transformed though it's still the better game.

4 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

What else is that vague combination of symbols supposed to mean? Its clear that there is something to at least speculate and piece together on. At least something hidden in a higher resolution trailer. 

It means "get yourselves excited for when we actually reveal something that means anything". I mean if someone finds an actual hint then fine, I'll eat crow, but I've done my own looking and thinking and it just seems like nothing.

• Thumbs Up 1

On the surface, looks like another Boost style 3D/2.5D game but then again maybe not.

Regardless I'm excited. This has me way more hyped than the Forces teaser did. The ancient-looking ruins have caught my attention. There's some Sonic Adventure vibes to this teaser even if the gameplay is more of the same from the last few years.

Hope this also means we're stepping away from SLW/Forces reuse of very cartoonish assets.

Actually reminds me a bit of the very first footage we saw from Sonic 06 back in the day.

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, SonicLegends said:

Still looks separated there for me for what you just posted. I am only making a observation given what little we were given why shouldn't I analyze?

forceseye.png.d220f1ced51d7f23f6a7667082d87bf8.png

His eyes look just as separated in the Forces trailer, where the camera is zoomed out and he's covered in motion blur.

There really is nothing to gleam from this trailer. My best guess is that it's an indirect follow-up to Colors but it could easily be something completely new too.

• Thumbs Up 3

That forest looks really pretty, looking at it again. It's a shame Sonic burned those trees away.

11 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Sonic 2022 for now, I guess.

I'm going to make a call and say this is Sonic Colors 2, either in title or spirit. That Wisp sfx at the start of the teaser and those weird visual effects coupled with those alien glyphs at the end are giving me Colors vibes hardcore.

SO literally nothing has changed LMFAO.

Granted it's still way to early to tell but I wanted a new direction not Sonic Colors 4 where they learn the wrong lessons AGAIN. But the Colors remaster gives me dread that they want people to know "this is what the franchise is now for the foreseeable future" which, after 11 years in I'm sure no one wants to hear that 

That was...a thing. All we can REALLY glean from it is Sonic appears to have a new design. Funny thing, the trailer actually cut out for me before the symbol, or whatever that is, so I scrambled to another stream only to feel like I didn’t really need to do that. How long has it been since a new platformer Sonic game now? Is this year 4? Man all this beating around the bush better pay off.

1 minute ago, Soniman said:

SO literally nothing has changed LMFAO.

Granted it's still way to early to tell but I wanted a new direction not Sonic Colors 4 where they learn the wrong lessons AGAIN. But the Colors remaster gives me dread that they want people to know "this is what the franchise is now for the foreseeable future" which, after 11 years in I'm sure no one wants to hear that 

There's nothing indicating that to be the case. We know about as much as we did before this trailer, which is very little.

1 minute ago, Conando said:

That was...a thing. All we can REALLY glean from it is Sonic appears to have a new design. Funny thing, the trailer actually cut out for me before the symbol, or whatever that is, so I scrambled to another stream only to feel like I didn’t really need to do that. How long has it been since a new platformer Sonic game now? Is this year 4? Man all this beating around the bush better pay off.

literally where

• Thumbs Up 1

We didn’t see much at all but what I saw didn’t bug me too much. Sonic Colours 2? Down for that. Not Sonic Colours 2? Down for that too. 

E3 is only a handful of weeks away isn’t it? This could be a tiny teaser of a slightly bigger tease at E3. Even if not then okay. Game is potentially 12 months away (even assuming a mid-2022 release, could be later) we’ve still got a long wait anyway I’d rather wait for a proper reveal when they’re ready.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Conando said:

All we can REALLY glean from it is Sonic appears to have a new design.

Why?

He literally looks the same.

15 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Really fucking wish they weren't so cryptic, but its pretty much what I expected.

The game is giving me Boost vibes as the Generations and Forces teasers did tbh, but we'll see.

With Forces it felt ambiguous to me despite the moment where he slides, and then it turned out to be a boost game. This seems more likely that it'll be boost based on what we saw, so I can only hope that means it's actually something completely different.

Spoiler

I don't hate boost in itself I'm just tired of it etc. etc. nobody @ me

Also re: design, I wouldn't say "new design" per se but it's definitely tweaked, like they've been doing subtly the last few games. His shoes of all things look a bit different too tho maybe it's just how it was animated.

We don't have enough details to reach a conclusion yet, but I'm starting to think that it might be an open world Sonic game.

The new alien technoligy theme that the game seems to feature makes me think of Zelda Breath of the Wild, the Sheikah technology. Maybe it's just an artistic choice, but if they really took Zelda Breath of the Wild as their source of inspiration, open world might be likely.

Since the boost games are often criticized for being hallways, and since sega has a track record of addressing criticism with extreme solutions that instead of fixing the problems end up creating new ones, I hope that, if they are really going for an open world structure, they at least put some effort into designing it well and won't make the usual errors.

Again, we know nothing and it might be still all hallways and 2.5D, this is just some speculation of mine.

Also, maybe not, but I got the impression that the blue trail is not boost but something more similar to Advance 2's Boost Mode or the time travel from Sonic CD (Sonic starts to glow after running for a while, it's not an instant thing), so maybe they're going back to that type of mechanics where the player is rewarded for maintaining the speed.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Way Past Cool 1

1 hour ago, BlueFlare said:

So, we'll be getting one more boost title? 

I don't know if it's necessarily a boost game. It definitely looks like they're going for a different style and Sonic looks a little different, so maybe something different? Adventure with a new gameplay gimmick maybe?

Am I the only one that thinks this looks like Forces 2? The square effects on his running reminds me of the Phantom Ruby, there's some distortion sound going on, the blue glow is the same they used in the Forces trailer.

• Fist Bump 1

Just now, Sonikko said:

Am I the only one that thinks this looks like Forces 2? The square effects on his running reminds me of the Phantom Ruby, there's some distortion sound going on, the blue glow is the same they used in the Forces trailer.

I really don't know what to take from this really. We are literally just doing what we were doing before the stream.

With Forces, I knew it was a Boost game the instant Classic Sonic showed up. They were gonna try and cheaply replicate the success of Generations, is what I thought.

With this, I've no clue. The thing throwing me off is the artstyle not emulating the same stuff I saw with Generations and Forces. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

3 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

forceseye.png.d220f1ced51d7f23f6a7667082d87bf8.png

His eyes look just as separated in the Forces trailer, where the camera is zoomed out and he's covered in motion blur.

Agree to disagree in comparing them. If wrong then wrong but I find it interesting that they make it such a focus to avoid not showing us Sonic's face up front in the trailer. That whole thing with movie Sonic impacting the games may have a lair of truth to it to an extent and we already see some of it with how they're promoting it over on Colors.

• Promotion 1