Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers - Teaser Trailer

Sonictrainer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

Recent posts about the 'Sonic Frontiers' trademark information has been broken out into its own thread. This thread was originally about the game's announcement trailer way back in May, so it's a bit out of date to be posting significant game updates here.

Please remember to create a NEW forum topic if fresh news about a game has surfaced. This makes it a lot easier for users to find and discuss the latest news on SSMB. The side-chat about 'another solo Sonic game' may also be broken out into its own separate thread, to contain and avoid repeat discussions about it.

12 minutes ago, Enesephus said:

The most concerning thing about this game to me so far is, in fact, the mention of "Unleashed/Gens style-levels" from the first couple of leaks, because the thought of trying to control Boost-Sonic in this big open world, trying to engage in combat and puzzles and shit, just sounds like a nightmarish mess.

My interpretation of the leak was that the boost stages would be separate from the open world, that they'd be linear levels you'd load into a la Sonic Adventure.

34 minutes ago, Enesephus said:

Even setting Forces aside, I just got through replaying Unleashed and, though I do still like the game overall, I'm realizing just how over the boost formula I am. Unleashed's levels are pretty fun, but Sonic's controls are just so freaking bad (maybe they're better in Gens, but I can't really bring myself to play that one again), and the gameplay just feels shallow to me, all spectacle, not much substance. 

No wonder you're sick of the Boost when you can't even bring yourself to play the one game that perfected the gameplay.

1 hour ago, Gloved Animal said:

Of course, it's worth reiterating that the open world thing is still technically a rumor. A leak managed to call the name and one or two details, but a) it could have been a lucky guess based on modern gaming trends, or b) it could have been an earlier proof-of-concept demo that was scrapped or reworked a long while ago (like the "not boost or parkour" concept leaked in 2015 that never materialized). For all we know we're going to get another boost game slapped together in a year's time.

I don't want that to happen, but you have to be prepared.

As for the lack of news, I'm not surprised. Sega are the ones who revealed the Saturn before the 32X came out. They've learned to focus on the current product before going to the next one, even if the current products are tired ports.

Sega won't talk to Rangers until Origins is out.

I don't have any expectations, but the possibility of it not being open world from all the info we've gotten seems next to impossible.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

I don't have any expectations, but the possibility of it not being open world from all the info we've gotten seems next to impossible.

I haven't been paying much attention the past month or two. What info have we gotten since the leak?

• Thumbs Up 2

35 minutes ago, Gloved Animal said:

I haven't been paying much attention the past month or two. What info have we gotten since the leak?

Takashi Iizuka interviews that unintentionally back it up

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Takashi Iizuka interviews that unintentionally back it up

He said there was going to be a new style of Sonic game. That doesn't confirm or deny the open world concept.

• Thumbs Up 2

My interpretation of the leak was that the boost stages would be separate from the open world, that they'd be linear levels you'd load into a la Sonic Adventure.

Yeah, but I'm assuming Sonic will be controlling more or less the same in both cases. I can't think of a reason he wouldn't unless they really are just special stages, but the way they're described makes them sound more like proper levels, and I don't see the point in coming up with two separate control schemes.

1 hour ago, CertifiedNobody said:

No wonder you're sick of the Boost when you can't even bring yourself to play the one game that perfected the gameplay.

It's more due to the recycled levels and lack of story than anything the gameplay, at least Modern Sonic's gameplay, did wrong. I remember it being a solid game in terms of it's design and control, and if it did have a decent story, original levels, more challenge and all those things I crave in a game I'd have liked it a lot more, but as it is it just felt barebones and empty to me. It's probably a better experience on PC where you have a ton of mods to play with, but I don't have a gaming PC.

• Thumbs Up 2

40 minutes ago, Enesephus said:

Yeah, but I'm assuming Sonic will be controlling more or less the same in both cases. I can't think of a reason he wouldn't unless they really are just special stages, but the way they're described makes them sound more like proper levels, and I don't see the point in coming up with two separate control schemes.

It's more due to the recycled levels and lack of story than anything the gameplay, at least Modern Sonic's gameplay, did wrong. I remember it being a solid game in terms of it's design and control, and if it did have a decent story, original levels, more challenge and all those things I crave in a game I'd have liked it a lot more, but as it is it just felt barebones and empty to me. It's probably a better experience on PC where you have a ton of mods to play with, but I don't have a gaming PC.

There are some low-end mods for weaker PCs. 

Spoiler

The actual low-end mod looks like garbage but the cell shaded mod might help

59 minutes ago, Gloved Animal said:

He said there was going to be a new style of Sonic game. That doesn't confirm or deny the open world concept.

No but it reduces the possibility that the leaker just guessed or lied using outdated info as a basis.

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Reveal hidden contents

No but it reduces the possibility that the leaker just guessed or lied using outdated info as a basis.

I don't see the connection between what the leaker said and what Iizuka said. "This is a new style of Sonic" sounds like pretty typical PR fluff. He wouldn't tell the reporter, "This new game is going to be more of the same". Boost gameplay with a twist might count in his mind as a new style of game. And "Wow, crazy new gameplay Sonic game!" is a rumor as old as broadband internet.

I'm not trying to argue that the leaks aren't true. In fact I'd love to see them try something new with Sonic for once. I want the leaks to be true. But to have 100% faith in the leaks as the definitive truth and that nothing will change in two-plus years is setting yourself up for disappointment. Until Sega gives an official reveal, we won't really know what the game will be like.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Gloved Animal said:

I don't see the connection between what the leaker said and what Iizuka said. "This is a new style of Sonic" sounds like pretty typical PR fluff. He wouldn't tell the reporter, "This new game is going to be more of the same". Boost gameplay with a twist might count in his mind as a new style of game. And "Wow, crazy new gameplay Sonic game!" is a rumor as old as broadband internet.

I'm not trying to argue that the leaks aren't true. In fact I'd love to see them try something new with Sonic for once. I want the leaks to be true. But to have 100% faith in the leaks as the definitive truth and that nothing will change in two-plus years is setting yourself up for disappointment. Until Sega gives an official reveal, we won't really know what the game will be like.

Well...

Spoiler

Since this title is still mid-development there is nothing I can speak to, but I did want to say that the development team has been spending their time to do something new and challenging. Through a lot of trial and error the team is looking to present to everyone a new Sonic game, and I hope your warm support of their work can motivate them to really deliver against that challenge.

Spoiler

Iizuka: So we will be releasing the new Sonic game in 2022, in terms of the game system, the team has made a new challenge, and it is different from Sonic Colors and all the previous games. I hope everyone will be looking forward to the new game.

Doesn't sound like the same old boost games.

• Thumbs Up 1

UPDATE: THere’s a survey screenshot going around suggesting the game could be called Sonic Frontiers. 

Thread about where the shot came from. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Just because there's no results on a reverse image search doesn't mean that it's legit at all. It could have been drawn up from scratch; gaming a screenshot of a survey isn't hard at all. 

Any reason we should give this further thought? 

• Thumbs Up 1

This is the original source of the picture. This links to the comments and the post in Facebook group, so for the ones who don't want to click on it, I took the screenshots.

842386777_ScreenShot2021-10-19at9_08_19AM.thumb.png.5be1d1050b2842b15d1139c219727635.png

230835979_ScreenShot2021-10-19at9_09_31AM.png.e4e9d9556e7358840890dc9a08e70960.png1140543785_ScreenShot2021-10-19at9_08_44AM.png.319f4fc5e71e12923e7870a0fd1d002d.png

This person claims that he was taking this survey and first, "Sonic Frontiers" and "Sonic Rangers" were two out of at least TEN suggested titles for the new game. If this is legit, Sonic Frontiers is not confirmed to be the final title because they are currently considering other possible titles.

Second, this post was made on October 11th and definitely is predecessor to the following rumors of "Sonic Frontiers" being the final title. BUT now we can safely say that other rumors piggybacking this info are false, because "Sonic Frontiers" is one of the possible titles. Z*ppo also said that "Sonic Rangers" is now "Sonic Frontiers" which is looooooool

I think this is very interesting information which if legitimate, might indicate that SEGA is starting to prepare for the marketing of the game.

• Thumbs Up 3

28 minutes ago, phobs said:

Z*ppo also said that "Sonic Rangers" is now "Sonic Frontiers" which is looooooool

Zippo isn't always wrong, but he definitely makes a lot of assumptions on often outdated info.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Zippo isn't always wrong, but he definitely makes a lot of assumptions on often outdated info.

What I was saying in my post, that Zippo's claim that Sonic Frontiers is the title is incorrect, because according to the source of the leak it is not final, but rather one of the possible titles for the game. In my personal opinion, that it is another indicator that Zippo is not to be trusted.

And, it is probably good idea to stop discussing him now, because of his reputation on the forum.

• Thumbs Up 3

27 minutes ago, Jango said:

cdc.jpg

Oh I'm not defending him, he does occasionally get legitimate info, but not consistently enough to be trusted.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even if this was true there's not much to talk about here. Frontiers pairs well with what we've heard I guess, but so does Rangers, since Sonic protecting a wide natural land would make him a sort of "Ranger."

• Thumbs Up 2

If this is true... Sega can't even name their own damn game? Just pick something and stick with it. Rangers was fine.

I completely agree with @Blue Blood, this is absolutely normal for games to have code names which are not the final names for the game. As someone who took couple of surveys like the one discussed above for different franchise, I can tell you with 100% confidence that questioning potential demographics' opinion on the name of future product is totally normal practice even if the product releases relevantly soon.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well this is certainly interesting...

If all of what was said was true, this game is showing a lot of promise. It sounds really good!

• Thumbs Up 1

Well this is certainly interesting...

"The game may not make it's 2022 release date." This part greatly concerns me. Either the 2020 trailer was made at the start of development, or they're severely behind.

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: both my responses assume that the above video is true. If we find out later that it's bullshit, disregard.

@CertifiedNobody

The TL;DW for the video, unless I'm mistaken, seems to be "heavily-Dragon Ball Z-inspired BOTW knockoff with ghost waifu and medieval Matrix." That... isn't what I wanted at ALL, but fuck it, why not. It also says that they're giving Sonic an actual budget again, so let's see what they've got for us to play this time around.

Spoiler

Note how it says nothing about the general storyline, nor about Tails' role in it. Neither of these are good signs.

@Betz I am also concerned about this. The game missing the anniversary after four years was bad enough... but a release date of 2023? With all due respect, WHAT THE FUCK HAVE THEY BEEN DOING THIS ENTIRE GODDAMN TIME?!?!?

24 minutes ago, KingMario05 said:

Note: both my responses assume that the above video is true. If we find out later that it's bullshit, disregard.

@CertifiedNobody

The TL;DW for the video, unless I'm mistaken, seems to be "heavily-Dragon Ball Z-inspired BOTW knockoff with ghost waifu and medieval Matrix." That... isn't what I wanted at ALL, but fuck it, why not. It also says that they're giving Sonic an actual budget again, so let's see what they've got for us to play this time around.

Hide contents

Note how it says nothing about the general storyline, nor about Tails' role in it. Neither of these are good signs.

@Betz I am also concerned about this. The game missing the anniversary after four years was bad enough... but a release date of 2023? With all due respect, WHAT THE FUCK HAVE THEY BEEN DOING THIS ENTIRE GODDAMN TIME?!?!?

It sounds fine to me tbh. Not my ideal game but hey, we don't always know what we want. There clearly IS a big story, but it would'vebeen left out of the demo and is likely being done separately from the actual game development. The game's scope seems massive, so a potential delay seems pretty reasonable. 

• Thumbs Up 2