Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers - Teaser Trailer

Sonictrainer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

Recent posts about the 'Sonic Frontiers' trademark information has been broken out into its own thread. This thread was originally about the game's announcement trailer way back in May, so it's a bit out of date to be posting significant game updates here.

Please remember to create a NEW forum topic if fresh news about a game has surfaced. This makes it a lot easier for users to find and discuss the latest news on SSMB. The side-chat about 'another solo Sonic game' may also be broken out into its own separate thread, to contain and avoid repeat discussions about it.

I think if the logo at the end of the trailer is "Zap" or anything decipherable, then it isn't the title of the game. It needs to be clearly readable so they can market it, and if it was the title then they would've announced it then and there.  

"Zap" could be a new power or element of the game, or a tagline. Sonic Forces isn't "Sonic: Join the Resistance".

• Thumbs Up 2

Well I'm interested. 

The teaser does a decent job of...well teasing. The energy surrounding Sonic and the Phantom Ruby like effects have me curious. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

Not to say that the effect on Sonic isn't related to the Phantom Ruby, but brightly colored cubes around Sonic aren't tied to just that concept.

True, and he does seem to be glowing with laser wisp energy too. I guess I just feel that so much of the Phantom Ruby's characteristics are tied in with that colour, shape and those sounds that it makes me think more of the Ruby than anything else.

Prediction: It's an evolution of the Sonic Colors power-up based gameplay without actually being Sonic Colors. Wisps are replaced by Zao Runes. Sonic has a boost ability but it's not used as prominently as in the Boost games to date. Story is closer in tone to Sonic Adventure than Sonic Colors.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

I am more interested in Colors Ultimate right now, yeah lighting sucks but it's a game I like, enhanced with a bit more stuff, I am praying for new stages in the VS Metal Sonic mode.

This? See you next year I guess...

I'm among others where I am kinda interested in the teaser, but it's...so short and so vague that there really isn't anything to discuss about it. Much like with the teaser with Team Sonic Racing, I can't help but wonder why they even bothered. A statement of Sonic Team working on a new game for 2022 would have had just as much impact.

The most I can really say is that I like the implied art direction of the trees, with them being more realistic...but even then, that's not saying much; given the art direction in Forces' teaser and the """art direction""" that game actually had.

I miss when Sonic games had an actual marketing department that wasn't content in merely throwing out crumbs of information between months on end on what future projects are about, let alone if they even exist. It's honestly embarrassing.

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

The fact the game is dropping on Switch is kind of concerning for me too. Forces' port was a good enough port, don't get me wrong, but I'm kind of worried that the game is gonna be throttled in order to be runable on PS4, Switch, and Xbox One, unless they're intending to make a next-gen and past-gen version, like Unleashed HD/Wii.

The Switch version of Forces was a rushed port that just barely turned out to be functional in time for the game's release. Pre-release showcase versions were slammed as being a technical mess as late as September despite all versions planned for a November release. Even so, that version was heavily downgraded; with visuals and performance that was on par with or worse than Generations and Lost World, despite running on more powerful hardware.

If Sonic 2022 is coming to Switch, hopefully Sonic Team/Sega are developing natively for that version (so they don't have to severely downgrade for it in the first place); or they find a really talented porting team and give them the necessary resources to produce a competent port.

Sonic is burning a crop circle into the forest. Ancient civilization markings. I think we got us a Sonic/Ancient Aliens crossover. 

1 hour ago, Iko said:

We don't have enough details to reach a conclusion yet, but I'm starting to think that it might be an open world Sonic game.

The new alien technoligy theme that the game seems to feature makes me think of Zelda Breath of the Wild, the Sheikah technology. Maybe it's just an artistic choice, but if they really took Zelda Breath of the Wild as their source of inspiration, open world might be likely.

Since the boost games are often criticized for being hallways, and since sega has a track record of addressing criticism with extreme solutions that instead of fixing the problems end up creating new ones, I hope that, if they are really going for an open world structure, they at least put some effort into designing it well and won't make the usual errors.

Again, we know nothing and it might be still all hallways and 2.5D, this is just some speculation of mine.

Also, maybe not, but I got the impression that the blue trail is not boost but something more similar to Advance 2's Boost Mode or the time travel from Sonic CD (Sonic starts to glow after running for a while, it's not an instant thing), so maybe they're going back to that type of mechanics where the player is rewarded for maintaining the speed.

Would you f**king stop giving me hope!!? Just stop this, stop it right now it's foolishness.

(Lol, j/k). 

I have considered what you said. Interesting points. I'd probably put a lot of  money on just an iteration of the boost though.

Hoping the game gets revealed next month and we can see what they're going for. If it's open world though with actual physics, I can't even tell you what that would do for me emotionally, after waiting as long I have. Longer than some of you have been alive....and you all think YOU are ignored and have it bad.

Don't expect that tho, my hype is pretty in check.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't know for sure if it's the boost, but I neither expect nor want an open world Sonic game. 

I swear, this teaser matches up with all the vibes that the other Boost games did. Running through a thick forest of trees in a single path doesn't make me think open world. It'll be so obvious in hindsight. 

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Razule said:

I swear, this teaser matches up with all the vibes that the other Boost games did. Running through a thick forest of trees in a single path doesn't make me think open world. It'll be so obvious in hindsight. 

I don't know WHAT I am looking at.

Disappointing and boring. Sonic Team hasn't earned the "cryptic teaser trailer" thing like what Square Enix did with Dragon Quest XII's recent announcement, so I have no idea why they're doing this. The only way to get good will from your fans is to actually show gameplay, this is exactly how they announced Mario Odyssey, so what's SEGA's excuse?

Either way I have zero reason to believe this game is going to be anything more than mediocre. Good bye, Sonic.

1 minute ago, Detective Kaito said:

Disappointing and boring. Sonic Team hasn't earned the "cryptic teaser trailer" thing like what Square Enix did with Dragon Quest XII's recent announcement, so I have no idea why they're doing this. The only way to get good will from your fans is to actually show gameplay, this is exactly how they announced Mario Odyssey, so what's SEGA's excuse?

Either way I have zero reason to believe this game is going to anything more than mediocre. Good bye, Sonic.

So you're done then?

7 minutes ago, Razule said:

The timing of the teaser is almost exactly the same as Generations and Forces, so that's a safe bet.

Hope it's not open world. I just don't think that'll work for Sonic.

This tweet sums it perfectly.

1 minute ago, Zoomzeta said:

So you're done then?

Yeah, SEGA has failed once again to make hyped or interested. I've given them too many chances and they keep repeating their mistakes over and over.

• Chuckle 1

As some others have mentioned, the Forces teaser in 2016 made sure we all knew it was going to be another Generations style boost game... Although It showed no gameplay and revealed running and dodging, with classic Sonic, around an apocalyptic landscape.

I would say the similarities here begin and end with Sonic's running animation. His design doesn't look drastically different, although I will say he definitely looks shorter than Modern typically does (and they've really not shown his face which could be an important detail). The tone of the trailer however is very different than what we saw with Forces and 'made by Sonic Team' is a slightly different branding as well.

I think we can reasonably expect changes on some level. The question is if the are fundamental changes to the gameplay, as opposed to fine tuning. At this point I'm betting against it, but the trailer doesn't exactly "rule it out" like the 2016 Forces trailer did.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

This tweet sums it perfectly.

Yeah, SEGA has failed once again to make hyped or interested. I've given them too many chances and they keep repeating their mistakes over and over.

Ironically, all of the (top) tweets there talk about how hype it would've been to do that.

Also, as a tweet pointed out, Smash Ultimate did pretty much the same thing as this teaser did. All it showed was "Inklings are in it, also Link has his BOTW design." People thought for months that it was a port of the Wii U version.

ALSO, Breath of the Wild 2. Though in that case, people hate that literally nothing has been said of it since its teaser.

22 minutes ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

If it's open world though with actual physics, I can't even tell you what that would do for me emotionally, after waiting as long I have. Longer than some of you have been alive....and you all think YOU are ignored and have it bad.

I am one among the few who always would love to see a open world Sonic game, as long it has a good budget behind it. I just would like to see Sonic Team legit try it at least once. I think it could work really well in concept... of course the exact execution makes all the difference.

• Thumbs Up 5

7 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

Ironically, all of the (top) tweets there talk about how hype it would've been to do that.

Also, as a tweet pointed out, Smash Ultimate did pretty much the same thing as this teaser did. All it showed was "Inklings are in it, also Link has his BOTW design." People thought for months that it was a port of the Wii U version.

ALSO, Breath of the Wild 2. Though in that case, people hate that literally nothing has been said of it since its teaser.

Dragon Quest XII did that too. The main difference between Sonic and all those other games is just shaken trust. This trailer currently doesn't do anything to instill or remove trust in anything at least I feel.

We're just kind of back where we started. We know Sonic's getting a new game, and we essentially have that with video footage now. It doesn't really make people feel like it's gonna be better than Forces or anything.

• Fist Bump 2

4 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

GAME IS CALLED SONIC RANGERS

Sonic cast in Power Ranger outfits please!