Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers - Teaser Trailer

Sonictrainer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

Recent posts about the 'Sonic Frontiers' trademark information has been broken out into its own thread. This thread was originally about the game's announcement trailer way back in May, so it's a bit out of date to be posting significant game updates here.

Please remember to create a NEW forum topic if fresh news about a game has surfaced. This makes it a lot easier for users to find and discuss the latest news on SSMB. The side-chat about 'another solo Sonic game' may also be broken out into its own separate thread, to contain and avoid repeat discussions about it.

(Context: I wrote this regarding why the game seems to have its name in metadata and one article.)

I'm blindly hoping that means they genuinely have more to show at E3 or SGF, but I'm not seriously holding my breath. Could just be a code name or something. The name is cool on its own though.

Apparently a 4chan user claiming to be playtester says much of the game is open world.

If it's one of you guys in this thread trolling me, I will find you....and I will pop you right in the jaw.

(...No, I won't. Actually that'd be hilarious 😄.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait you can just look at the metadata like that for YouTube?

EDIT: Nope being dumb, it's a leaked 4k version of the trailer.

They’ll probably wanna focus on hyping up Colors Ultimate and Origins at E3 since those are the priority releases currently. I’m not expecting much, if anything, regarding Rangers.

9 minutes ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

Apparently a 4chan user claiming to be playtester says much of the game is open world.

If it's one of you guys in this thread trolling me, I will find you....and I will pop you right in the jaw.

Thread in question: https://arch.b4k.co/v/thread/539349521/#q539349521

Honestly bros... I'm thinking it's real...

• Thumbs Up 6

4 minutes ago, Betz said:

> open world is populated with small enemies, puzzles and platforming challenges
> completing puzzles, challenges, enemies rewards EXP which can be redeemed in a skill tree
> skill tree unlocks abilities like the "spincycle" where when you hold Y Sonic starts tracing a line behind him, and if you finish a circle it attacks all enemies inside the circle
> lock on attack returns
> there are bosses spread through the open world, defeating them grants orbs
> if you get enough orbs you can go to a portal and go to "cyberspace"
> cyberspace levels are Generations-style and the music goes HARD
> beating them fast enough grants chaos emeralds
> exploration and combat was super boring, very button mashy but whatever
> new voice acting by Roger (and no one else) was present so they're definitely sticking to the general theme at least

now for the final (i think) boss

Spoiler

> after gathering all the emeralds, you can then cut through a thick fog you couldn't before in the open world
> gigantic tree robot thing is the boss
> fly around it as super sonic utilizing spincycle and other abilities, mainly mashing buttons
> can't take damage, on a timer of rings. a ghost girl refills your ring count multiple times
> demo ended after defeating the boss

Those bolded parts sound way too suspiciously close to what we saw in the teaser. And the fact that this leak references Sonic Rangers? Wow. I'm veering on the side of this being the real deal. I'm concerned about the opinions though. They're distinctly negative.

• Thumbs Up 6

6 minutes ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

It's not me, but it may be my fault because I brought in the open world thing in the first place. Maybe it's a troll lurker who read the thread.

18 minutes ago, Betz said:

Me too actually. Doesn't seem to be nothing. Not only that, SEGA throughout it's history has been a trend chaser and BOTW open world style has been in for the past 4 years or so...and Sonic hasn't tried it yet.

@Iko you might have nailed it.

(Note: I'm very concerned about the quality of said attempt at this style. Hopefully it wasnt just some newbies doing it, and they talked to guys like Whitehead, or Naka, or someone that understand how important the feel of sonic is to gameplay)

• Fist Bump 1

I don’t know why I laughed so hard reading this part 

> exploration and combat was super boring, very button mashy but whatever

Regardless, I don’t buy it. just yet anyway. Will wait for a bit more to be revealed officially 

1 minute ago, Blue Blood said:

Those bolded parts sound way too suspiciously close to what we saw in the teaser. And the fact that this leak references Sonic Rangers? Wow. I'm veering on the side of this being the real deal. But it's also over a year old, so could have changed significantly since then.

It was from January. I suspect based on his reactions to the gameplay is why we're getting it in 2022. But consider me hyped. 

• Fist Bump 1

Wow, I say I don't want an open-world Sonic, and as if by magic this game is heavily rumored to be one.

• Chuckle 1

hmmmmm

Anyone else miss the skills in Generations? They were so fun. Such a fun way to customize gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

If it adds anything, "Rangers" really seems to imply exploring the wilderness.

If this is true theres a worrisome chance they might make it boring, maybe not even much fun terrain for sonic to interact with like in the 3D fangames.

• Thumbs Up 1

Aw shit with the date. The idea sounds interesting but I don't know what to think. I'm a gullible SOB though, so I'll believe it for now.

Wait, if this is open world. This wouldn't be Sonic Team's attempt at Sonic Utopia would it?

• Thumbs Up 1

See if they hyped it up it'd he one thing but they're like "yeah it's different but this still sucks" makes this more believable than if they just ran down the list of things people wanted in a Sonic game and pretended it was a real gane.

Time to start being cautious 

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Chuckle 1

SEGA isn't really a trendchaser with Sonic. They're kind of like Nintendo where they march to the beat of their own drum even when I don't know what the fuck they're playing.

Open-world Sonic has certainly been an idea that was floating around somewhere. I dislike the idea on principle. But, we'll see.

Just now, Soniman said:

See if they hyped it up it'd he one thing but they're like "yeah it's different but this still sucks" makes this more believable than if they just ran down the list of things people wanted in a Sonic game and pretended it was a real gane.

Time to start being cautious 

The "game sucks but whatever" is actually the least believable part, and sounds like something they would add because they think it's what would make a Sonic game rumor believable.

Like the Colors Ultimate rumor that said the game was literally unplayable for a time. 

I mean, yeah, SEGA's never been good with making combat not button-mashy, but I don't buy it.

2 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Wow, I say I don't want an open-world Sonic, and as if by magic this game is heavily rumored to be one.

We're on opposing sides of the spectrum. Short of a full on 3D recreation of Sonic 3 and Knuckles, I can't think of a Sonic gameplay I want to see tried more than open world. I've been waiting a very, very long time for this.

I don't think it will be good by default though, let me just say that immediately. It is crucial that sonic actually feels very fun to control in an open environment, that will determine if the game sucks or not.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, NoKaine said:

Like the Colors Ultimate rumor that said the game was literally unplayable for a time. 

The Colors Ultimate rumor also said that Sonic Movie skin was coming and it didn't happen 🤷‍♀️

"Rangers" also seems to imply that there's more characters than just Sonic... but considering we had "even heroes need help" and "Resistance" in the past and excluding the avatar, it was still Sonic only, I wouldn't get my hopes up for playable friends.

• Thumbs Up 9

8 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Those bolded parts sound way too suspiciously close to what we saw in the teaser. And the fact that this leak references Sonic Rangers? Wow. I'm veering on the side of this being the real deal. I'm concerned about the opinions though. They're distinctly negative.

To be fair, the game doesn’t come out till next year, and this seems to be impressions from an early build.

with this new context, the patterned different shapes motif seen alongside the Sonic Team logo may be referencing that there is the opposite of a linear path through this game!! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay so, I believe 100% in that 4chan post. If that is true, then I guess the world not being populated yet is to be expected 1 year and half before release.
What I'm more concerned about is how does Sonic control and uh... well how interesting the world is. Sonic stage design is pretty complex.

I guess we'll see, I'm stoked they're at least trying something new, I'll give them that. Won't jump the shark, but I'm curious to see what this ends up being then.

I hope it's more of a Utopia than a Sonic in UE4 kind of thing.

• Thumbs Up 3

I do hope if it's true it's a decision someone at Sonic Team wanted to do. That's how Unleashed happened. No one asked for boost gameplay and I'd say the lack of expectation there helped it.  Similarly, the Werehog has a sign of a lack of confidence.

Lost World seems like an attempt to ape Mario, for whatever reason, and Forces was a rather weak retreat into what worked without knowing what worked.

Sonic Team generally does better when they are apparently left to their own devices.